2Likes

post #91 of 42945 Old 04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I think it may just boil down to real-estate on the back of the D2. Anthem is literally using every centimeter of available space on the back panel already. I think if they want to allow for more inputs, they are going to have to change the chassis and move to a larger chassis.

Thanks for the info! In my case I could probably get away with the number of connectors already on the back panel, so my request to Anthem would be to "unlock" the 3 hard wired configs. I don't need or want an AM/FM config, so let me use the EPROM space to config some other combination of A/V connectors that I need instead. The same goes with the 2 channel input. I could use the 5.1 input, but I would just need a simple s-v or composite video signal for disc navigation - I don't need to use a more valuable component or HDMI input, as I don't use the same player for DVD playback.

And I have a HD-DVD player on order and plan on buying a Blu-Ray player in May - Where can I connect these? (Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 42945 Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob.

Anthem customer service is second to none. Just send an e-mail to Nick and tell him exactly what you want. He will usually give you an answer the same day or the next one. If they can do it, they will just release a firmware upgrade with the new features. If they can't, they will honestly tell you.

I remember asking them for something in particular when I was using an AVM20, and then getting it with a simple download a couple of days later.

So just ask Nick directly.
post #93 of 42945 Old 04-05-2006, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

And I have a HD-DVD player on order and plan on buying a Blu-Ray player in May - Where can I connect these? (Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud... )

You can use HDMI audio connection. The D2 is able to accept 8 PCM audio stream, so you can use THX post processing when you listen Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD. In this way the decoding is obtained by player directly. I remember you that DTS THD and DTS MHD are only two lossless stream of data, so the decompression doesn't give any problem to audio quality
post #94 of 42945 Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 AM
EL

Hey LEVESQUE,
do you think if I ask for firewire I will have it?
I saw the place for that on the back but they told me since it's only (well not only) for SACD they will not do it because SACD pass with HDMI 1.2 but they implemented 1.1 ... so there is a hole.
Do you know the plan for that, either firewire or HDMI 1.2?

pretty eye in 480i upscaled in 1080p
post #95 of 42945 Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Bob,

... I would suspect that the D3, whenever it becomes a reality, will almost HAVE to have a much larger footprint. Seems the connectivity we need these days goes way beyond what was needed even 3 years ago by most high-enders.

If they haven't already, they could allow the 4 HDMI inputs to be 4 *additional* inputs.

It would just require a bit of creativity on the source selection.

Ken
post #96 of 42945 Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just send an e-mail to Nick and tell him exactly what you want. He will usually give you an answer the same day or the next one. If they can do it, they will just release a firmware upgrade with the new features. If they can't, they will honestly tell you.

Thanks, LEVESQUE, I'll do just that, but I have a few questions before I email him:

1. Are the configs (I am using that term because it is clearer than using "input") truly 100% configurable? That is can ANY video input be assigned to ANY audio input? For example, in the Lex, when I create something like a "HTPC" config, I can assign ANY low res video input (composite or s-video) PLUS ANY hi res video input (the Lex only has component - no HDMI) PLUS ANY digital audio input (coax or optical) PLUS ANY analog input (2 channel or 5.1 channel). This allows me to assign 2 video and 2 audio inputs to any config and then use the same inputs to be assigned to another config.

2. I can also use the same inputs as many times as I want. I can use, for example, s-video #5 on all 12 configs if I want. They are not locked out of other configs once I assign them for the first time. An example of this usage would be my HTPC. I need two configs for it, one for the main video card and another for the MyHD card, and though they use the same DVI output coming out of the back of the PC, they each have their own digital coax output and analog outputs, so I need to use the same DVI input on the D2 (I know, it will be HDMI) but assign different audio inputs. I can use the same 5.1 analog input several times if I wish...Can the D2 do these things now or will I need to request these features?

3. When using HDMI inputs, can the audio be configured separately, through HDMI, or both? So far I don't have any sources which feed audio through HDMI, but I am pretty confident that the upcoming HD-DV and Blu-Ray plyers will.

I don't want to ask Nick needless questions if they have already been resolved, so I figured I would ask here first. I have to admit that I am really pretty hot on this product and I hope that I can make it work for me. Thanks for all of your help!
post #97 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #98 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, long letter has been sent to Nick (I hope...the address you posted on page one was not that obvious that it would be going to Nick... ). I gave him a link to post here if he would like, but if not I will be happy to pass on the info.
post #99 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Hey guys,

Just an FYI that Anthem has updated their website with a dedicated D2 page.
Can't post a link (not enough posts yet) but it's right on the Anthem Statement homepage.

I've had my D2 for about a week now and have played around with the settings quite extensively. I'll post later on (probably this weekend) with a lot more details...some good, some not so good, and some incredible!

I'll quickly say that the 'incredible' is the video processor. This thing does wonders. The difference in video quality is night and day (at least in my situation), and I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing.

Back this weekend...

Davor
post #100 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 AM

Here is the link to the D2 page
post #101 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davor View Post

Hey guys,

Just an FYI that Anthem has updated their website with a dedicated D2 page.
Can't post a link (not enough posts yet) but it's right on the Anthem Statement homepage.

I've had my D2 for about a week now and have played around with the settings quite extensively. I'll post later on (probably this weekend) with a lot more details...some good, some not so good, and some incredible!

I'll quickly say that the 'incredible' is the video processor. This thing does wonders. The difference in video quality is night and day (at least in my situation), and I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing.

Back this weekend...

Davor

Davor,
I am very interested inreading about your initial impressions more fully.

I am sold on the video abilities of the D2, but need more info/feedback on the MC and 2 CH audio of the D2. and of the prior D1 as the audio sections are identical.

Thanks to you and others for taking the time to comment. Very helpful to all of us.

Stan

Stan
post #102 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that was fast! Nick got back to me within a couple of hours, and here is his reply:
Quote:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your e-mail.

You can already assign any video connection to multiple sources, any number. You can also do that with the digital audio connections, except they cannot be assigned to 2-Ch Bal, 6-Ch, or the tuner input. Any input can be renamed.

It would not take much work to complete the picture by allowing any digital audio input to be assigned to the remaining source buttons. We've just never had that many requests for it, but as of now it's under consideration.

Note that audio from HDMI cannot be assigned separately from its video (something that's not up to us), although you can assign the video from HDMI with the audio coming from a different connection, in case you're using DVI.

About the scaler's features, our company's position is that as of the last dozen business days, we're on software version 1.00 .... there will be more.

Best Regards,
Nick P., Technical Support

I have to admit, I am very impressed by the quick reaction and great communication from Anthem! It looks like with version 1.00 of the software being only 12 days old, they are not yet ready to speculate on future video features...very understandable but not quite the answer I had hoped for.
post #103 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

And Bob,

Nick is responding to many of us with answers to our questions notwithstanding that we are not even Anthem owners yet. There are a numbe of other AV companies who can learn something from Anthem about real customer service.

Stan

Stan
post #104 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I agree with you totally, Stan. This kind of highly responsive, individualized attention can not be overstated! It gives me great confidence to deal with a company that cares so much about its customers, or in my case, a potential customer. I am about 95% sold on this product (and the company) and will probably buy a D2 very soon!
post #105 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I asked Nick another question in regard to how much "room" was left in the current hardware to effect additional video features and improvements, and less than an hour later I got this reply:
Quote:

Plenty of room left over, both on the video side and audio, all part of the plan. The day after something comes out, work on the next thing starts, and it's hard to say what will happen and when until it's actually done. For example, when the surround preamp's platform was under development, provision for 1394 was included, to be filled when it would become meaningful. Lo and behold, we have HDMI.

If you would like an idea of how this works, the list of changes that comes with the latest AVM 20 software is a good indication.

That's it...I'm sold! Time to go talk to Alan!
post #106 of 42945 Old 04-06-2006, 03:33 PM

In looking through the D2 manual, I noticed that possible output resolutions do not include 1024x768, a very common resolution for 42" displays. Based on the owner's manual, my commercial Panasonic plasma will accept 1024x768 @ 60HZ, its native resolution. Any thoughts on why such a common output resolution was omitted? Any suggestions for optimal matching with my display?
post #107 of 42945 Old 04-07-2006, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRbone View Post

In looking through the D2 manual, I noticed that possible output resolutions do not include 1024x768, a very common resolution for 42" displays. Based on the owner's manual, my commercial Panasonic plasma will accept 1024x768 @ 60HZ, its native resolution. Any thoughts on why such a common output resolution was omitted? Any suggestions for optimal matching with my display?

1024x768 is listed under "Computer Monitors" on page 33. Your main issue will be your panels use of non square pixels. If you output the panels native rate everything will look stretched horizontally.
post #108 of 42945 Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #109 of 42945 Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Official Anthem D2 page on Anthem website:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D2/D2.html

Yeah, I saw that last night and got all excited when I saw the Upgrade button.

I'm going to be miserable when I get my HD-DVD player in a few weeks and no HDMI inputs on my D1!!!

But I guess if that's my worst problem...

Ken
post #110 of 42945 Old 04-07-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post

I'm going to be miserable when I get my HD-DVD player in a few weeks and no HDMI inputs on my D1!!!

My dealer did confirm yesterday my Toshiba HD-DVD player for the 18th... So with the D2 and the Sony Ruby, I will soon be fully ready for 1080p!
post #111 of 42945 Old 04-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Liked: 15
Hey Levesque et al, (How's it going - lonng time no talk!!)

Just saw the D2 pics from Lev's setup -- ordered a D2 today!!

(I'm in the process of moving my D1 out on Canuck Audio Mart)

My wife isn't pleased -- but Nick made me feel better

Can't Wait....

../TC
post #112 of 42945 Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 AM

For those of you with displays using non-square pixels, Nick at Anthem tells me that they have 'incorporated correction for square to non-square pixel aspect ratio' in the software. Of course, there's no guarantee of perfect performance, as this wasn't tested on every display possible. However, kudos to the guys at Anthem for really thinking through most every possibility! I'm really sold on this upgrade.
post #113 of 42945 Old 04-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Levesque, how's the sonic performance with your Paradigm set-up? I'm eyeing this exact combination for myself.
post #114 of 42945 Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRbone View Post

... However, kudos to the guys at Anthem for really thinking through most every possibility! I'm really sold on this upgrade.

That's what a lot of people miss. Just because some flavor of the month receiver has it on its feature list doesn't mean it works.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Anthem's head of R&D at Cedia and it was clear that working through details (like pixels AR's and non-standard HDMI devices etc.) was the major source of holdup.

Anthem is going to the considerable trouble and expense to actually make it all work and work right.

Having a feature on the shiny brochure is one thing. Making it all compatible with real devices is quite another. I'm confident Anthem is doing the hard part as well as can be done.

Ken
post #115 of 42945 Old 04-09-2006, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted W View Post

Levesque, how's the sonic performance with your Paradigm set-up? I'm eyeing this exact combination for myself.

There is a synergy between the D2/P2/P5 and the Paradigm Signature speakers that I wasn't able to recreate with everything else I've tried in my room. I'm really happy with that set-up. It's the first time I keep my amps and speakers for more then 6 months!

And with the Sony Ruby and Gennum combination, I'm now really satisfied with my video chain also. I'm just waiting for those HD players now.
post #116 of 42945 Old 04-09-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

That's it...I'm sold! Time to go talk to Alan!

Is AVS selling Anthem products?

Mike
post #117 of 42945 Old 04-10-2006, 04:13 PM

As a reader of this forum for awhile and little contributions, I've finally assembled my multi-channel setup built around the D2 and can report some initial findings.

Background: a 2-channel enthusiast (Krell, Theta, & Vandersteen) for 20 years, I finally decided to get more use out of the system and have been converting to a 7.1 channel, "entire family" system. I'm decidedly a "hobbyist" in this realm, not in the HT/Audio industry.

System:
Anthem D2
Marantz DV9600 DVD
Theta Dreadnaught II
Vandersteen 3A Signatures, VCC-5, VSM Sigs (surrounds), 1C (rears), V2W sub
HP DLP (6580) 1080P display
DirecTV 10-250 TIVO

It's taken me four months to get the pieces assembled with the D2 finally arriving on Saturday. I have so many variables at play and most of the gear is still burning in. Like many others drawn to the D2 (and DV9600), I am running HDMI throughout. I have faithfully followed the set up advice offered by Levesque and others (thanks much).

PQ: My biggest revelation was in seeing PQ improvement (albeit initial impressions and subjective, no test patterns) in changing from 1080P output from the DV9600 to 480i and letting the D2 perform the de-interlacing/scaling. I don't think the 9600 is a slouch here but the picture letting the Gennum do its thing is much more three dimensional (depth) that I am having a hard time imagining how much better the HD DVD sources could be. I'm sure I'll think differently after being able to try it but what I am currently getting is stunning. And, my display has not been calibrated yet.

Sonic Impressions: fantastic so far with much more critical listening (and burn in) to go. This is my first taste of (high res) DVD-A and SACD sources so I'm re-discovering much on the audio side. DVD-A over HDMI to the D2, SACD over SE analog.

I haven't asked Nick this question and folks on this forum probably know off hand. What is the "HDMI Repeater" setting doing? I know as a digital protocol that there is a two-way handshake, does turning the repeater "off" affect this in some way? I have seen a state where the color map is messed up (green or red tint). After going back and forth with the D2s setup menu, it seemed to reset, completed the handshake, whatever and resumed normal function.
Anyway, well done, Anthem!
Ken
post #118 of 42945 Old 04-11-2006, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ken

What version of the software do you have? I had this problem (green or orange tint across the screen after getting out of the video ouput set-up menu... I think it was after getting out of the main menu item number 8) with the beta firmware, but with 1.00, the problem is gone for me. It doesn't happen anymore.

You should check the firmware version you have.
post #119 of 42945 Old 04-11-2006, 04:02 PM

I'm in!

I exchanged my Rotel 1098 for the Anthem Statement D2. I had the Rotel for about a month and I really liked the audio quality but I thought at this point I might as well.....

I have also ordered Statement A2 and A5 amps.

Now my problem is what should I do with the Oppo DVD player I just bought!!!

Here is my humble system so far:

Anthem Statement D2
Anthem MCA-5 to be replaced
(Anthem Statement A2 and A5 should be here by next weekend)
Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD PVR
Mitsubishi HC3000U and Vutec 92" HCBW screen
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
Von Schweikert LCR-35 center (big mama!)
Von Schweikert VR-1 Left, Right, Left Rear, Right Rear
Von Schweikert TS-150 Left Surround, Right Surround
SVS PB-12 sub (Flood recovery victim thanks to TomV)
Velodyne SMS-1 digital EQ
Lots of cable from BlueJeans, VampireWire

So it looks like my DVD may be the weak link because it won't pass 480i over HDMI.

I hate the idea of throwing a ton of money at a player just to act as a video equivalent of a CD transport.

I'd also like to upgrade to Blueray sometime in the future.

So are there any good 480i players in the sub $500 range?

Time to go downstairs and work on the setup!

- Blaine
post #120 of 42945 Old 04-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Blaine
So are there any good 480i players in the sub $500 range?

Check out this link for a plethora of answers! What players support 480i over DVI-D or HDMI?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page