Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 40 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #1171 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob,

My second D2 runs far cooler than the first. It appears Anthem has put some attention into the heat issue. I can't be sure if the instabilities in the video and audio demonstrated in my first D2 have been the cause of the heat or are the result of the heat.

Jerry Rappaport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Jerry,
That's interesting! Particular if you really did get a re-tread older unit.

They didn't add a fan did they?

I wonder where they made the heat go?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Apple had a problem with their recent laptops where they were overheating because manufacturing failed to pull off a strip of dust-protective, clear saran wrap during final assembly. The strip covered the rear heat vents and was not easily seen by owners since it was hidden by the display hinge.

Wouldn't it be something if Anthem just discovered a similar manufacturing error that kept their venting from doing its job?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1173 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 AM

My origional D2 (130742) was a hot one too. I suspected at the time it was a run away process in the video processor (due to the weird colors that would appear and require a power cycle to correct). Several large fans helped extend the playing time (before thermal shutdown).

My replacement D2 (130802), about a month later, has been spectacular. No problems. It runs warmer than I think it should (but way cooler than my first D2), so out of paranoia, I have an auxerillery fan on it. I've had no HDMI problems. no color problems, works great!

larry
post #1174 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 AM

Gennum has come out with a lower heat generating GF9351 chip recently (January of this year) and I wonder if Anthem is upgrading units as they come through the door?. It is a drop in replacement for the GF9350:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6899065

http://www.gennum.com/ip/gf9351.html

Can anyone with a unit that is no longer generating lots of heat 'as before' specify the VSX chipset in their unit?
Jerry & larry, - can you confirm you have 9351 vs 9350 or do all units have the 9351?

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #1175 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I started reading this thread early last week after deciding to look at a dedicated pre/pro to replace the Pioneer Elite 84TXSi receiver I am currently using in front 3 Bryston SST amps. After reading the first 10-15 pages, the Anthem D2 seemed like it had everything I wanted and found lacking in the Bryston, Lexicon, and Meridian pre/pro's I have demo'd and/or owned - such as balanced XLR outputs, the latest surround sound formats, HDMI, video upscaling, rack mountable, available in black, etc. So I ordered the D2 the middle of last week and it's supposed to be here sometime towards the end of this week.

However, I just got finished reading the entire thread up to page 40 and it seems like the D2 is full of bugs and defects. I'm still looking forward to it as I believe that on forums like these, the general trend is for folks with problems to post more frequently than those who are enjoying defect free products. Unfortunately, I am also hoping I didn't make a mistake because my current setup is performing flawlessly and I have had no HDMI issues. Fingers crossed....
post #1176 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

Can anyone with a unit that is no longer generating lots of heat 'as before' specify the VSX chipset in their unit?
Jerry & larry, - can you confirm you have 9351 vs 9350 or do all units have the 9351?

PaulT_BC,

Unless there is a software query, I have no idea. Everything is in a large Salamander cabinet that I would have to pull out to get access to the rear of the D2. The D2 has a large number of cables connected to it (including several, apparently fragile, HDMI cables).

That's a question you should ask Anthem.

larry
post #1177 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchurch View Post

PaulT_BC,

Unless there is a software query, I have no idea. Everything is in a large Salamander cabinet that I would have to pull out to get access to the rear of the D2. The D2 has a large number of cables connected to it (including several, apparently fragile, HDMI cables).

That's a question you should ask Anthem.

larry

When you run the software it gives you the name of the chip. some one had posted that when he ran the update it would freeze and it was the VSX chipset.

He originally posted the number but for some reason went back and edited.

It is in this thread somewhere.

"You can safely assume that you've created a Dog in your own image when it turns out that Dog hates all the same people you do."
post #1178 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Williams View Post

I'm still looking forward to it as I believe that on forums like these, the general trend is for folks with problems to post more frequently than those who are enjoying defect free products.

You are correct on that assertion. These threads do become a place for those of us with problems to both seek solutions and vent. What alarms me is the fact that more than a few of us have had more than one defective unit. This statistically shouldn't happen unless there is a high incidence of defects. Then again that does happen randomly also. Back in my Rotel days I received a replacement RSP 1098 that had a defect. Rotel quickly identified the problem and sent me a board that I was able to replace and all was well. The D2 is far more complex, and there are many more interactive issues wiith peripheral equipment, so the solution isn't always simple....but it should not be this difficult and time consuming.

Jerry Rappaport
post #1179 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Firmware upgrade to V1.06 was made more complicated than it should have been because Anthem shipped a piece of software -- live settings editor -- that wasn't intended for use with the original V1.00 software and didn't mention that. This is a minor documentation issue.

Bob, as I have indicated, I have yet to upgrade software to 1.06 from 1.0. What do I have to be careful about with the live settings editor in accomplishing such an upgrade?

I ask this question looking for the answer, but I am still wary of upgrading the firmware since my unit and sources seem to be working together pretty darn good right now. but, at some point I will have to jump in and do so.

I am an Anthem D2 owner who is happy that he jumped on the bandwagon almost 4 months ago. No doubt, these forums seem to highlight the problems and fixes for these highly complicted electronic marvels. Let' remember that there are many of us who have been lucky enough to have D2's that fit into our systems problem free.

Stan
post #1180 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

there are many of us who have been lucky enough to have D2's that fit into our systems problem free.

Stan.....Ar'nt you on your second D2? I guess you ment that there are many, but accidently included yourself in that group...lol

Jerry Rappaport
post #1181 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well...Just to provide a little counterpoint I have my D2 set up without any major issues. I'm actually kind of surprised after reading some of the horror stories here that it is working quite well so far. I haven't had much time with mine so long term reliability is still an unknown. I'm using a Toshiba A1 HD DVD player, Pioneer Elite 79AVi, and a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR with Passport software. All are connected via HDMI with the latest firmware loaded on the D2 and the Toshiba. Display is DVI.
post #1182 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
After upgrading to firmware v1.06, my Anthem works great! Picture and sound are wonderful. I have a Denon DVD-3910 and a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD connected via HDMI. They work fine. I recently assembled a new Salamander Synergy rack and also bought a Middle Atlantic UQFP-2 fan to install in the rack. The fan is suppossed to be fairly quiet at 24db. My Anthem is currently in a built-in. I haven't transferred my Anthem to the new rack yet. The Anthem, while in my built-in, does not run hot. It runs a little warm, but no big deal. I have lots of clearance above it. I originally bought the fan after reading this thread. I have not yet installed it. I may not need the fan, given the clearance I have above the D2.

So far, I'm happy with my D2, particularly after upgrading to v1.06 firmware.
post #1183 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Same thing here. I have mine since january. One of the first unit out. I'm running 1.06, and everything is rock solid.

There is cold air constantly blowing in my rack so all my equipment is running really cool (dedicated heat-pump for the HT room and the rack only). My only "problem" is with my Star Choice DSR530 (satellite STB). I need to power it on after the D2, or else I get a "pink screen". All the rest is working w/o issues (Toshiba HD-A1, Samsung BD-P1000, Oppo 970HD, Pioneer DVR-633H-S recorder).

My unit is now 8 months old and it's working great for me. Picture quality is outstanding with HD disks and the Sony Ruby projector at 1080p60. Same thing with audio over HDMI.

This is a breakthrough product. Early adoptors are always (sadly) dealing with those kind of problems. Go take a look in the video processors section of AVS just for fun. All the new high-end video processors (some of those costing around the same price than the D2!) are having major problems with HDMI, and other "bugs". For example, the new Algolith Dragonfly is buggy like crazy, the Vantage-HD is getting the "new firmware available" festival also, the VP30 is still having HDMI problems, the Crystalio II (using the same Gennum chip..) is having (strangely...) some of the same problems that people are having with the D2...

But it's not all the D2s that are having major issues. I know it's nice to have a place to vent sometimes, and that it can be REALLY frustrating sometimes to get a bad unit...
post #1184 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
nkb

Well, I have been off the forum for a while waiting for my fourth (yes, that is correct: 4!) D2.

This time the plan was to test it at the dealer before taking it home.

I brought my new HDMI cables, my Marantz 9600 DVD, and we hooked up the new (4th) D2 to a Panasonic 50" plasma (same model as I have at home). I personally made all the connections under the watchful eye of the dealer. Everything checked out.

Went home, reconnected everything. And everything still worked over HDMI. So, I was very happy and relieved and sat back to enjoy.

BUT.....shortly thereafter, as I was watching a DVD, not touching anything, about 15 minutes of total D2 uptime(including time at the dealer), the picture went blank. Now there is no HDMI video whatsoever. I have power cycled. NOTHING.

I inspected the video out HDMI jack and it looks fine.

I am now letting the D2 sit for a protracted time, unplugged to see if it will revive itself.

I am more disappointed than angry at this point. I called the dealer, he is beside himself.

Notes:
a. The unit did not appear hot at all when it quit. The newer units may in fact be running cooler.

b. Anthem has in fact changed to a different design for the HDMI jack. The new ones have retention clips on the upper edge. The old design had none. This had been my specific recommendation to them. They either heeded my advice or because of all the HDMI problems realized that they had to change regardless. I do note that their choice of jack still is not the best as the upper clips are biased to one side and not symmetric. Still not a good idea in terms of the mechanical loads on the HDMI pin wafer. Not sure why they are not using the design being used on other mainstream equipment that provides symmetric guidance and load.

c. For those that feel they have a recycled unit. Because I have had four now, I have some idea of the serial number history. What is the serial number on your "new" unit. I might be able to tell you if it really is new.

At this point, I am wrungout. As I said I am more disappointed than anything. Just so tantalizing to have it work beautifully and then just like that it's gone, without having done a thing!

I cannot see going another round on this. We'll see.
post #1185 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

LEVESQUE

We all know this is a break through product and we all know that HDMI has been a complete disaster as far as compliance goes.

What is true as NKB has stated as well as others it the build quality of these units. How many other posts are out there about HDMI jacks shorting out or the cables just falling out.

As you seem well connected with Anthem what are they doing to address these problems. When are we going to see a credible review of the D2.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have a cool working Anthem D2 in my system but the odds on getting a good unit are not good and the replacement time way to long.

"You can safely assume that you've created a Dog in your own image when it turns out that Dog hates all the same people you do."
post #1186 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post

I am more disappointed than angry at this point. I called the dealer, he is beside himself.

I know exactly how you feel - I myself have been through five ( 5!!!) Integra Research RDC-7.1 processors and several ATI made amps.

R
post #1187 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

For those that feel they have a recycled unit. Because I have had four now, I have some idea of the serial number history. What is the serial number on your "new" unit. I might be able to tell you if it really is new.

Why don't you post the serial numbers of the units you returned in this thread? That's what I did in the IR thread.

R
post #1188 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
nkb

Here is my serial number history:

1. #130741, received 6/8/2006. Died after 10 minutes of viewing. (Exactly same behavior as my 4th unit). Anthem said don't fool with it, just return it.

2. #130502, received 6/27/2006. Apparently HDMI jack failure. Note serial number was earlier than first unit.

3. #131206, received 7/14/2006. HDMI jack failure

4. #131538, received 8/7/2006. Died after ~15 minutes of viewing. (Similar to 1).

While you may not have exactly the same unit numbers as above, if you have received a "new" unit that does not have a serial number that fits in the sequence (i.e. a much earlier number) then you may have a reconditioned unit?

Hope this helps.

BTW: After 1.5 hours of unplugged "rest", still no video from the D2 HDMI. I am now going back to component. However, because of the DVD copy protection restrictions on scaling component output, this really is not a final solution. Without the HDMI connections, the D2 loses a lot of its video capability.

Not quite sure what I am going to do. I really want the D2 to work. It has only served to tease me by working for a short while. I think I have been incredibly patient and Anthem has tried to be helpful. But, in the end, I still don't have a functioning D2. Will discuss with dealer as to what the next step might be. I can tell you however, if I had read on this forum what I have gone through I would have punted and moved on to some other product(s). I have been very pleased with the quality and performance of the other equipment in my system (McIntosh 3x501's, McIntosh 252, B&W 2x802D, B&W HTM2D, B&W ASW825, Marantz DVD 9600, Escient Fireball 400Gb). Even my DirecTV HD SAT receiver has been OK. I did not expect the D2 to be a weak link.
post #1189 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can tell you however, if I had read on this forum what I have gone through I would have punted and moved on to some other product(s).

That's what I'm thinking, but I don't know if the Anthem dealer is going to let me cancel the order I placed last week. I've never used them before placing the order, my usual dealer doesn't carry Anthem.

I'm tempted to ask though as the second half of this thread is starting to make me realize how trouble free and reliable my current system is and I'm starting to wonder if the relatively minor improvements are worth the potential trouble and expense.
post #1190 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJRapp View Post

Stan.....Ar'nt you on your second D2? I guess you ment that there are many, but accidently included yourself in that group...lol

jerry, I have always indicated that my first D2 had a defective hdmi switcher (only one hdmi input would work). But, my dealer and Anthem were great. I kept the first unit in play until the replacement unit was delivered four days later. IMO, no reason not to include myself in that group.

Stan
post #1191 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Stan,
If your current D2 firmware is V1.00, don't bother trying the live settings editor that comes with the V1.06 upgrade. Apparently it is only compatible with V1.04 and later.

Instead use the Setup Editor that also comes with that upgrade to save your current settings to the PC before doing the upgrade to V1.06. Then use it again to restore your settings to the D2 after the upgrade.

Live Settings Editor probably works just fine as well after the upgrade, but I haven't tried it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1192 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

nkb,
It really sounds to me like you've got something else going on here than just a 4th flakey D2.

I would suggest the following:

1) Turn everything off.

2) Disconnect everything from the D2 except for power and your HDMI cable to the display. Disconnect everything from the display except for power and the HDMI cable from the D2.

3) Leaving the display turned off, power on the D2 and navigate -- using it's front panel display -- to the Setup / Video Output menu. Select 720 x 480p resolution for the HDMI output. Accept that change and back out of the menu.

4) Power off the D2. Power on the display. Wait a moment for it to be ready. Now power on the D2 (it doesn't matter what input the D2 has as selected since nothing is connected to any input). Does the Anthem splash screen come on the display against a blue background? If so, cycle to the Video Source Adjustments / Patterns menu (under the "7" key) and play around with different patterns for a while to see if the connection to the display remains stable for a few minutes.

[If you have no output to your display, double check that both ends of the HDMI cable are fully inserted and that the correct input is selected on the display. This last is in case there is a remote control conflict which is causing your display to change inputs when you use the D2 remote control.]

5) If all is working fine, then go back into the D2's Setup / Video Output menu and select the display resolution you really want to use. Accept that change and see if you have a stable image on the display for a few minutes -- again with nothing else connected to the D2 or the display.

[If you had a stable image at 480p but not at your normal, higher, resolution then this points to a bandwidth problem to your display -- a bad display cable, or too long a cable, or possibly a problem with that display input.]

6) Assuming you can get a stable image on the display at your desired resolution in this fashion, the next step is to hook up JUST the HDMI cable from your favorite source device and see if that now works. What I'm looking for here is to isolate any shorts or ground loops that might be interfering with proper D2 operation. So don't hook up any additional audio or video or trigger connections to or from the D2. If you can get an image from the source to the display in this fashion, leave it this way for a while to see if it remains stable. Of course you'll have no audio since the input audio is not connected and the output amp is also not connected.

7) If you can get a stable image from source to display this way, then you should suspect that some OTHER connection you have been using is interfering with proper D2 operation. For example, a trigger that's drawing too much current, or a shorted audio cable, or a severe ground loop. I suppose it's even conceivable that you have voltage loss on your wall power when other things are turned on as well. The idea is to isolate down to JUST the HDMI connections and see if they can be made stable all by themselves. If not, then I guess you really do have a 4th flakey D2. Keep an eye out for remote control conflicts as well. Is the display's remote causing the D2 to do something or vice versa?
--Bob

post #1193 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 PM
nkb

Well, since my HDMI video out was not working I figured I would go back to the old reliable component like I had done successfully on prior (defective) units.

Not this time. Component Out also does not work. So, the video out section(HDMI and Component) of the D2 looks completely blown. At least I never was completely out of business on units 1 to 3. But now I am.

(And yes, I changed the setting to component out). I am very, very familiar with the D2 menus now after several months and 4 units.

This is probably the final straw.

Probably no one on this thread wants to discuss this, but what are the (better) alternatives out there? Is the Halcro SSP100 unit, with built in scaler worthwhile, although a review I just read indicates all kinds of problems? Go with separate components, outboard scaler? Or just hang it up for a few years until this all gets sorted out.

Sorry to bring this up. I am glad that a number of you have had good luck with the D2.... but I have been cursed.
post #1194 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

I feel for the people having problems, that must be very frustrating. You lay out that kind of cash and you expect things to work perfectly.

That said, there are quite a few and most likely the majority of D2 owners that are not having any problems, including me. I must also be totally honest and say that I am NOT using HDMI connections at all at this point, so I have not had to mess with this troublesome area. I plan on buying an HDMI display sometime in the future, though after seeing all the compatibility problems others are having I am in no hurry. The D2 has definitely improved my PQ even with component connections, and the audio is stunning, so I am fairly content for now.

Anthem is a first class company that will take care of their customers in the long run.
post #1195 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
nkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

nkb,
It really sounds to me like you've got something else going on here than just a 4th flakey D2.

I would suggest the following:

1) Turn everything off.

2) Disconnect everything from the D2 except for power and your HDMI cable to the display. Disconnect everything from the display except for power and the HDMI cable from the D2.

3) Leaving the display turned off, power on the D2 and navigate -- using it's front panel display -- to the Setup / Video Output menu. Select 720 x 480p resolution for the HDMI output. Accept that change and back out of the menu.

4) Power off the D2. Power on the display. Wait a moment for it to be ready. Now power on the D2 (it doesn't matter what input the D2 has as selected since nothing is connected to any input). Does the Anthem splash screen come on the display against a blue background? If so, cycle to the Video Source Adjustments / Patterns menu (under the "7" key) and play around with different patterns for a while to see if the connection to the display remains stable for a few minutes.

[If you have no output to your display, double check that both ends of the HDMI cable are fully inserted and that the correct input is selected on the display. This last is in case there is a remote control conflict which is causing your display to change inputs when you use the D2 remote control.]

5) If all is working fine, then go back into the D2's Setup / Video Output menu and select the display resolution you really want to use. Accept that change and see if you have a stable image on the display for a few minutes -- again with nothing else connected to the D2 or the display.

[If you had a stable image at 480p but not at your normal, higher, resolution then this points to a bandwidth problem to your display -- a bad display cable, or too long a cable, or possibly a problem with that display input.]

6) Assuming you can get a stable image on the display at your desired resolution in this fashion, the next step is to hook up JUST the HDMI cable from your favorite source device and see if that now works. What I'm looking for here is to isolate any shorts or ground loops that might be interfering with proper D2 operation. So don't hook up any additional audio or video or trigger connections to or from the D2. If you can get an image from the source to the display in this fashion, leave it this way for a while to see if it remains stable. Of course you'll have no audio since the input audio is not connected and the output amp is also not connected.

7) If you can get a stable image from source to display this way, then you should suspect that some OTHER connection you have been using is interfering with proper D2 operation. For example, a trigger that's drawing too much current, or a shorted audio cable, or a severe ground loop. I suppose it's even conceivable that you have voltage loss on your wall power when other things are turned on as well. The idea is to isolate down to JUST the HDMI connections and see if they can be made stable all by themselves. If not, then I guess you really do have a 4th flakey D2. Keep an eye out for remote control conflicts as well. Is the display's remote causing the D2 to do something or vice versa?
--Bob

Bob, I appreciate your taking the time to help. I have everything disconnected except for the HDMI out and the power cord. This is then connected to my plasma HDMI in. The plasma only has power and the HDMI connected.

There is no picture. I never get the certifying HDMI message as it powers up. I did change the resolution down to 480i but that is moot as it never gets that far. There is no splash screen, no OSD from setup. Double checked that the plasma was on HDMI (Video 5). Tried different power up sequences between the D2 and the plasma.

Also, removed the HDMI and tried component (which has always worked in the past). Changed to component display on the plasma(Video 3), changed to Component for video out on the D2. Nothing. This unit is really dead.

Again this unit functioned properly for ~15 minutes, and then with no changes or connections being made, playing a DVD, simply went "poof" - blank screen.

Thanks for the input, but I think this is beyond repair at this level.
post #1196 of 43779 Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 PM
nkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

I feel for the people having problems, that must be very frustrating. You lay out that kind of cash and you expect things to work perfectly.

That said, there are quite a few and most likely the majority of D2 owners that are not having any problems, including me. I must also be totally honest and say that I am NOT using HDMI connections at all at this point, so I have not had to mess with this troublesome area. I plan on buying an HDMI display sometime in the future, though after seeing all the compatibility problems others are having I am in no hurry. The D2 has definitely improved my PQ even with component connections, and the audio is stunning, so I am fairly content for now.

Anthem is a first class company that will take care of their customers in the long run.

Sincerely, I am glad you aren't having problems with the D2. As you say, perhaps because you aren't using HDMI. That said, when you play some DVD's do you not run into the Macrovision copy protection that limits output to 480p when using component? If using HDMI you don't have that limitation. That's why I want the HDMI to work, plus the much neater cabling situation.
post #1197 of 43779 Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:

jerry, I have always indicated that my first D2 had a defective hdmi switcher (only one hdmi input would work). But, my dealer and Anthem were great. I kept the first unit in play until the replacement unit was delivered four days later. IMO, no reason not to include myself in that group.

Quote:

I am an Anthem D2 owner who is happy that he jumped on the bandwagon almost 4 months ago. No doubt, these forums seem to highlight the problems and fixes for these highly complicted electronic marvels. Let' remember that there are many of us who have been lucky enough to have D2's that fit into our systems problem free.

The implication you give people is that you never had a problem with a D2 and your equipment. If they don't read the entire (somewhat ponderous) thread, they would not know that it took your 2 units to get there. That isn't a perfect track record.

I know you are an attorney by profession, you should familiar with the implications of "failure to disclose"....... I look at the moral obligations.

Once my dealer and Anthem get me a D2 that works, they will get the praise that they deserve, however, I will always let people know what it took to get there.

OBTW, it turns out that the current D2 malfunctions based on turn on sequence, just like Levesque's SAT receiver, except it effects two of my devices. Al may consider that minor, however, I consider that a major deficiency in the D2 switching software, nothing to be "soft"-sold, or played down because it reduces the usability of the D2 with most system automation. Not all of us want to stand on our head and spit wooden nickels to get our gear to work. we just want to push a button.

Jerry Rappaport
post #1198 of 43779 Old 08-08-2006, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gostan

This was stated in thread #166

Quote:

Originally Posted by gostan

This was stated in thread #1179

Quote:

The implication you give people is that you never had a problem with a D2 and your equipment. If they don't read the entire (somewhat ponderous) thread, they would not know that it took your 2 units to get there. That isn't a perfect track record.

I was going to insert parentheticals reconfirming that it took two D2's to get there, but I figured that I had already stated so 13 threads earlier and most of us are reading all of them.

Quote:

I know you are an attorney by profession, you should familiar with the implications of "failure to disclose"....... I look at the moral obligations.

Just shows that it is true that a lawyer should never represent him/herself!!

Quote:

Once my dealer and Anthem get me a D2 that works, they will get the praise that they deserve, however, I will always let people know what it took to get there.

Unfortunately for you, my friend, your full disclosure response would be a full page long.

Quote:

OBTW, it turns out that the current D2 malfunctions based on turn on sequence, just like Levesque's SAT receiver, except it effects two of my devices. Al may consider that minor, however, I cosider that a major deficiency in the D2 switching software, nothing to be "soft"-sold, or played down because it reduces the usability of the D2 with most system autimation. Not all of us want to stand on our head and spit wooden nickels to get our gear to work. we just want to push a button. His SAT receiver is not a 1 off or espoteric unit. It is a common device by a major manufacturer.

I hope that I am not in for this type of trouble when I add a Tivo Series 3 and Comcast cable to my DirecTV when the Series 3's becomes available.

I am looking forward to the end of this month. Hopefully no early hurricanes down there in SF.

Stan
post #1199 of 43779 Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 AM

I'm afraid if we took a poll that we would find very few people with D2 that have worked 100%. This whole thing reminds me of the early days of Windows 98 and plug and play. Except this is 2006 and we should be much better at it nowadays.

Jerry Rappaport
post #1200 of 43779 Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately for you, my friend, your full disclosure response would be a full page long.

Well, it will make for some interesting reading in the review I'm preparing for HTG forum.

Jerry Rappaport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers