Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #11971 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read through almost of of this enormous thread, so please forgive me if I missed this one:

Has anyone successfully done firmware upgrades and run the PC based programs mentioned above via Parallels and/or Boot Camp and a serial port adapter from a Macbook? I have a Macbook Pro with Parallels 2.0 and Win XP Home on it. Am I looking at having to get a dedicated PC laptop to maintain the D2?

WHEW! Page 400!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Interesting. I sure hope they don't have to have these people send units back to the factory.

I wonder what software version will be included in the ARC-1 upgrades shipping out this week?
--Bob

I will be getting my ARC-1 today or tomorrow according to the dealer. He is calling me back to confirm. His driver is out for pickup, but he could be back today or tomorrow.

I guess depending on when he finishes his pickups he either makes the trek back downtown or waits until the morning... Knowing where he lived would be interesting hahaa (I Kid. no really I wonder)

Once I get it I can give you all the info I can find on what is included. If you have any specific questions just post them and I will do my best.

For the record I will be upgrading from FW V.1.20 and I think I saw in that PDF that what is shipped should have the latest FW version included, but I will confirm.

I also do not have (Edit: Live Video Settings Editor ) or anything else installed anywhere ATM so I will need to run through that in order to do the backups etc in the instruction process so I will be doing pretty much a new install of most of this stuff from a FW version lower than many so it should be a decent test.

Cheers,

Richard
post #11973 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobracalde View Post

Yes.. I think the same..

I'm waiting an answer from Nick.. but i have some doubts about the compatibility between the new firmware and the olds D2...

1.31 works on my over 1 year old D2.
post #11974 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW View Post

1.31 works on my over 1 year old D2.

That's close. Care to be more precise? I believe the key date for D2's is a manufacturing date prior to March 7, 2007.

Don't hold me to that, but that's the date I've got stuck in my mind.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11975 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM

My D2 (230V version) has been bought in may 2006.
post #11976 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting.

I just spoke with my Dealer and my Arc-1 was not in their order. He spoke with his Anthem Rep who talked to her folks and it could be up to another week before it is ready.

Apparently they are still tweaking it and/or the process of applying the Serial number etc.

What is interesting is that part of the delay is because or due to the fact that mine is the very first after market one they will be shipping out the door... At least according to my dealers Anthem Rep (I feel so special).

I pretty much told him I understood and that if it took 2 weeks to make sure it was "right" then it's well worth it and I just wanted to be kept in the loop on ETA. He will be following up with them on Thursday unless he hears from them earlier.

While I am a little disappointed that it's not ready I am VERY please that Anthem continues to put quality first and is taking every step necessary to ensure these things are ready to go. Good work.

I can just imagine that somewhere in Mississauga my ARC-1 is sitting on Nicks bench undergoing tests and verifications hahaa.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. It could also be simple to get the CD's/Firmware version and/or documentation updated before shipping to match the latest releases. That may make even more sense.
post #11977 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Joe, I think (but I'm not sure) that ALL the D1 units upgraded to D2 had the newer video board installed.
--Bob

Hmm, this is interesting. I had mine upgraded in December (over a year ago, 2006). I have looked at the board and it's not bright red (at least not the red I am used to seeing on circuit boards - like some of the ATI video cards). I could take a picture, but I'm not a paying member (oops - my bad), so I can't post it right? Anyway, for those that have actually looked, is it "red" red, or "kinda" red . I'm just curious now.
post #11978 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I think you can post the picture without being a paying member. I think you just need like 5 or 10 posts to post links and pics.

Cheers,

Richard
post #11979 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
ASW

Quote:

That's close. Care to be more precise? I believe the key date for D2's is a manufacturing date prior to March 7, 2007.

Don't hold me to that, but that's the date I've got stuck in my mind.
--Bob

My D2 was manufactured before 3/07. I had it in hand at the end of 2/07 and it was in stock at my dealer before then (when it replaced a defective AVM50). Thankfully, 1.31 works fine so far (it is a bit slow to find my video signal, but Nick says "the slowdown is a necessary evil to keep every system on the planet (that we know of) happy").

Do you know if I can determine the manufacture date from my serial number? If so, I can report the exact date later tonight.
post #11980 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C5 View Post

Hmm, this is interesting. I had mine upgraded in December (over a year ago, 2006). I have looked at the board and it's not bright red (at least not the red I am used to seeing on circuit boards - like some of the ATI video cards). I could take a picture, but I'm not a paying member (oops - my bad), so I can't post it right? Anyway, for those that have actually looked, is it "red" red, or "kinda" red . I'm just curious now.

It's "obviously" red. So, OK you DO have one of the original video boards (me too!).

Well that's good then! So we're starting to get confirmation that V1.31 appears to be properly compatible with older units. Yay!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11981 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

My D2 was manufactured before 3/07. I had it in hand at the end of 2/07 and it was in stock at my dealer before then (when it replaced a defective AVM50). Thankfully, 1.31 works fine so far (it is a bit slow to find my video signal, but Nick says "the slowdown is a necessary evil to keep every system on the planet (that we know of) happy").

Do you know if I can determine the manufacture date from my serial number? If so, I can report the exact date later tonight.

I don't know how to do it from the serial #, but it is probably on a label on the back of the unit.

Anyway, this is starting to look pretty good!

Yay! I don't really care about startup time so long as it gets it right.
--Bob

post #11982 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

RROSEN,
Well as long as they get your ARC working before they make mine, I'm happy.

Practice makes perfect...
--Bob

post #11983 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

My D2 (230V version) has been bought in may 2006.

OK, so we've got some older D2 units which are taking the V1.31 install without problem. So your problem is not as "simple" as that, I'm afraid.

Any chance you could try the install using a different computer?
--Bob

post #11984 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RROSEN,

--Bob

Yeah hahaa.

I am not taking any chances *or at least trying to eliminate as many variables or unknown as I can). Even exchanging emails with Nick on any heads up I need to be aware of that may not be obvious.

Sent him the info on my setup, Firmware, planned use of USB->Serial Adapter (Keyspan and IOGear have been most tested and suggested) as well as operating systems etc.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Richard
post #11985 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Yes. Nick told me that v1.31 is compatible with all D2s.

They are trying to reproduce the problem, which appears to be on the Windows side..

I will try using another PC...
post #11986 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm using an RTI control system to controll my D2 via the RS-232 port in the back. It's been going fine for a couple years now (D1 upgraded to a D2). Today, the unit seems to have stopped responding to commands over the RS-232 port. I tried just about everythign I could think of...including upgrading the firmware to the lastes 1.31 version. It upgraded fine from the RS-232 port, but after restoring my saved settings, It still doesnt seem to be able to be controlled from the port?? I checked the output of the RTI system with a computer using Hyperterminal, and it's sending out "P1P1" when I try and turn it on...which seems correct. Under Triggers - RS-232, everything is enabled..and I haven't changed the port settings from thier defaults. Is there some simple thing that I could be overlooking?? Is the RS-232 port somethign that might go bad?? However, the firmware upgrade worked...so
it seems to be working at least for that?
Thoughts?

Thanks - Andrew

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #11987 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

I'm using an RTI control system to controll my D2 via the RS-232 port in the back. It's been going fine for a couple years now (D1 upgraded to a D2). Today, the unit seems to have stopped responding to commands over the RS-232 port. I tried just about everythign I could think of...including upgrading the firmware to the lastes 1.31 version. It upgraded fine from the RS-232 port, but after restoring my saved settings, It still doesnt seem to be able to be controlled from the port?? I checked the output of the RTI system with a computer using Hyperterminal, and it's sending out "P1P1" when I try and turn it on...which seems correct. Under Triggers - RS-232, everything is enabled..and I haven't changed the port settings from thier defaults. Is there some simple thing that I could be overlooking?? Is the RS-232 port somethign that might go bad?? However, the firmware upgrade worked...so
Thoughts?

Thanks - Andrew

I don't see how the serial control port could be broken if things like the installer and Live Video Settings Editor are working. They use the same sort of control structure over RS-232. In particular the installer uses the commands to turn the Anthem on and off.

Check what Live Video Settings Editor is sending and compare to your control system.

It is probably something simple like a baud rate or flow control mismatch.

Or perhaps your control system is expecting status info echoed back and you have turned that off in the Setup / RS-232 menu.
--Bob

post #11988 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 PM

OK -I'm going to try and post a couple of pictures of my video board. If you will notice the board is really brown (in real light it's really really brown, not nearly reddish brown as in the picture). The rest of the boards are green. Also, the first one shows Rev F (who knew I could upload pictures ).
LL
LL
post #11989 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C5 View Post

OK -I'm going to try and post a couple of pictures of my video board. If you will notice the board is really brown (in real light it's really really brown, not nearly reddish brown as in the picture). The rest of the boards are green. Also, the first one shows Rev F (who knew I could upload pictures ).

I would call that the RED board versus the GREEN board.
post #11990 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 PM
gdc

Quote:

Yes. Nick told me that v1.31 is compatible with all D2s.

They are trying to reproduce the problem, which appears to be on the Windows side..

I will try using another PC...

Good news that all D2s are compatible, as mine is from July 2006 or earlier (don't know when it was actually manufactured).

I know there has been a lot of voodoo around getting a good serial port emulation. My 2002 laptop with a real serial port (!) has worked fine in the past, but it only has USB 1.0 and I'm concerned that will not work with the ARC software.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #11991 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Good news that all D2s are compatible, as mine is from July 2006 or earlier (don't know when it was actually manufactured).

I know there has been a lot of voodoo around getting a good serial port emulation. My 2002 laptop with a real serial port (!) has worked fine in the past, but it only has USB 1.0 and I'm concerned that will not work with the ARC software.

Does the ARC-1 require USB 2.0? I use an older computer with a serial port for all my firmware updates with great success. But it is not USB 2.0, I hope this won't cause problems as my ARC should arrive by friday.

John
post #11992 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Does anyone know if USB 1.0 will work with the ARC-1 software? I also have an old laptop with a real serial port, but it only has one USB 1.0 port. I thought that this setup would work well for me, but now I'm not sure.

Buddy
post #11993 of 43014 Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[quote=Bob Pariseau;13412369]RROSEN,

--Bob[/QUOTE

I will be more than happy if the ARC I ordered a week ago doesn't come for a month or more and Anthem tech has more times to work out the bugs before I get ready to install it.
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #11994 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fitz View Post

Does the ARC-1 require USB 2.0? I use an older computer with a serial port for all my firmware updates with great success. But it is not USB 2.0, I hope this won't cause problems as my ARC should arrive by friday.

John

When I questioned Nick about older laptops with usb 1.0 and limited processor speed and memory, he advised me that this should not be an issue as he was also running a very old laptop since it had a serial connector.

Stan
post #11995 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 AM
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Thoughts?

Thanks - Andrew

Did you use the live video settings editor by any chance? I had the same problem with an RTI T4 controlling my D2 via serial port after using Live Video Settings and terminating the program too early. I think the fix involved re-connecting Live video settings and allowing "load" to finish properly.
post #11996 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:

1.31 does indeed look like a winner. I too suffered from the no-video-on-startup problem and had mixed results with previous firmwares. So far, I have gotten video on every startup under 1.31.

I don't know my mfg date, but my D2 was purchased in June 2006.
post #11997 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 AM

I have had two "wow" experiences with the D2:

The first was when I put in a power conditioner - colours improved, soundstage expanded yadda yadda yadda

The second was last night with new cables. Originally I used Ultralink HDMIPro and Audioquest HDMI-1. I like to tweak, so I then switched over to Vizionware's Hi-Wirez 1650 Series HDMI Cable.... Wow!

With regards to my Rogers cable signal (via the 8300) the picture became clearer and more 3D-like (both SD and HDTV) and I started hearing lower levels (bass) previously absent.

As for my DVD player (Pioneer DV-46AV, 480i over HDMI in to the D2), the picture also improved showing more detail and precision.

The net effect was as if I had swapped out the front end components. I got a huge kick out of this.

I could not test the Samsung 5000, I finally gave up and should be getting a Denon 3800.

For other tweakers, I hope that you find this post interesting.
post #11998 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruginator View Post

I have had two "wow" experiences with the D2:

The first was when I put in a power conditioner - colours improved, soundstage expanded yadda yadda yadda

The second was last night with new cables. Originally I used Ultralink HDMIPro and Audioquest HDMI-1. I like to tweak, so I then switched over to Vizionware's Hi-Wirez 1650 Series HDMI Cable.... Wow!

With regards to my Rogers cable signal (via the 8300) the picture became clearer and more 3D-like (both SD and HDTV) and I started hearing lower levels (bass) previously absent.

As for my DVD player (Pioneer DV-46AV, 480i over HDMI in to the D2), the picture also improved showing more detail and precision.

The net effect was as if I had swapped out the front end components. I got a huge kick out of this.

I could not test the Samsung 5000, I finally gave up and should be getting a Denon 3800.

For other tweakers, I hope that you find this post interesting.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. I had similar "wow" moments going from Monster, Monoprice, Bluejeans to AudioQuest HDMI-1. Using a PS3 to a D2, I noticed sharper menu text, better colors and smoother video with HDMI-1 compared to the other cables. So I'm happy to know an even better cable exists.

Also, good info about the power conditioner. I had asked about this previsouly in the forum, but I don't think anyone had a before and after experience with a conditioner.
post #11999 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krops View Post

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. I had similar "wow" moments going from Monster, Monoprice, Bluejeans to AudioQuest HDMI-1. Using a PS3 to a D2, I noticed sharper menu text, better colors and smoother video with HDMI-1 compared to the other cables. So I'm happy to know an even better cable exists.

Also, good info about the power conditioner. I had asked about this previsouly in the forum, but I don't think anyone had a before and after experience with a conditioner.

Up until now my favourite HDMI cable was the AudioQuest HDMI-1 for the reasons you gave above. However, I experienced a disproportionate number of HDMI handshake issues with this cable when compared to the Ulralink. It was a case of "when it was working, don't touch it" because the slightest movement resulted in theses handshake issues reappearing and I would have to do a fair amount of fiddling and tweaking before getting the signal back.
post #12000 of 43014 Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was wondering what the trade in value for an older D2 would be.I have one of the first ones made with 1.11 firmware.( upraded to 1.1 so it is that old)Rather than go thru the trials and tribulations I thought I would go that route unless D3 is on the horizon.Or is that idea a dumb one !!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page