Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 406 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #12151 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon DVD-756 that I intend to use as a standard DVD, SACD and DVD-A player as a compliment to my Blu-Ray player. I'm wondering what the best way to set this up would be to get the best picture and sound possible.

The player has an upscaler that will output up to 1080i. I think there is no doubt that the D2's video processor is vastly superior to the Denon's. I would like to hook the Denon up via component cables as I'd like the HDMI input on the D2 I would need to use for it for something else. My plan is this:

Video (both DVD and CD sources on D2):
Denon to D2 via component video

Audio (DVD Source for CDs, DVDs and DVD-A):
Denon to D2 via Digital Coax, Bitstream DD, DTS, Multi PCM DVD-A

Audio (CD Source for SACDs):
Denon to D2 via 5.1 Analog, Multi analog audio setting

What's the best way to output the DVD's video? Should I set it for 480i and let the D2 do both the interlacing and the upscaling, or does it even matter. I have trouble telling the difference when trying it different ways, so perhaps it's all the same...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4mad View Post

I have a Denon DVD-756 that I intend to use as a standard DVD, SACD and DVD-A player as a compliment to my Blu-Ray player. I'm wondering what the best way to set this up would be to get the best picture and sound possible.

The player has an upscaler that will output up to 1080i. I think there is no doubt that the D2's video processor is vastly superior to the Denon's. I would like to hook the Denon up via component cables as I'd like the HDMI input on the D2 I would need to use for it for something else. My plan is this:

Video (both DVD and CD sources on D2):
Denon to D2 via component video

Audio (DVD Source for CDs, DVDs and DVD-A):
Denon to D2 via Digital Coax, Bitstream DD, DTS, Multi PCM DVD-A

Audio (CD Source for SACDs):
Denon to D2 via 5.1 Analog, Multi analog audio setting

What's the best way to output the DVD's video? Should I set it for 480i and let the D2 do both the interlacing and the upscaling, or does it even matter. I have trouble telling the difference when trying it different ways, so perhaps it's all the same...

Yes, use 480i out and let the D2 do the deinterlacing and upscaling.

Are you really out of HDMI inputs? I would use the HDMI from the Denon for both video and audio (exactly what I do with my Oppo for DVD, SACD and DVD-A).

You'll need to use 6 analog ins if you want multichannel. Multichannel PCM cannot be sent over coax/optical. (Or you can use HDMI.)

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #12153 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Are you really out of HDMI inputs? I would use the HDMI from the Denon for both video and audio (exactly what I do with my Oppo for DVD, SACD and DVD-A).

You'll need to use 6 analog ins if you want multichannel. Multichannel PCM cannot be sent over coax/optical. (Or you can use HDMI.)

Don't the analog inputs also bypass all the D2 matrixing capabilities and speaker configurations?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #12154 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 12:59 PM

what do you do when you have a bluray player that upscales everything automatically to 1080p and you are changing the DVD's all the time from normal and bluray.

right now I am waiting for delivery of my d2 and have it hooked directly into my Sony Bravia and when playing bad quality dvds that are originally 480i it upscales to 1080p and I have lines in the image when theres movement.
post #12155 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdoggy View Post

what do you do when you have a bluray player that upscales everything automatically to 1080p and you are changing the DVD's all the time from normal and bluray.

right now I am waiting for delivery of my d2 and have it hooked directly into my Sony Bravia and when playing bad quality dvds that are originally 480i it upscales to 1080p and I have lines in the image when theres movement.

What BD player do you have? Sounds like either your BD player stinks at upscaling, or your TV stinks at upscaling (more likely the BD player).

Your best bet is to set everything to Native, feed it all into the D2, and let the D2 do your video processing. I doubt you have anything that will do a better job, so don't let anything else try.

post #12156 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

What BD player do you have? Sounds like either your BD player stinks at upscaling, or your TV stinks at upscaling (more likely the BD player).

Your best bet is to set everything to Native, feed it all into the D2, and let the D2 do your video processing. I doubt you have anything that will do a better job, so don't let anything else try.

I'm waiting for my D2 to come hopefully this week. Its been backordered now for a month.

I have the Sony BDPs500 Blu-ray player and its set to auto ouput to 1080p which the Sony Bravia can play 1080p.

I don't wee where to change the output to something less like 1080i or even less. I thought it would be a decent at upscaling, but after I get the D2 I'd like to know how to change the output to 480i for 480i discs.
post #12157 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm waiting for my D2 to come hopefully this week. Its been backordered now for a month.

I have the Sony BDPs500 Blu-ray player and its set to auto ouput to 1080p which the Sony Bravia can play 1080p.

I don't wee where to change the output to something less like 1080i or even less. I thought it would be a decent at upscaling, but after I get the D2 I'd like to know how to change the output to 480i for 480i discs.

Not sure where you set it, but you should set it to "Native", so it displays 1080p as 1080p, and 480i/p as 480i/p.

post #12158 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:

No, I have one available but if I use it I will be maxed out... and I see an Apple TV in my future someday.

Sadly, the Denon will not output SACD multichanel over HDMI... only over the analogs.

Maybe I need a new standard DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. How's the Oppo?
post #12159 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you set it, but you should set it to "Native", so it displays 1080p as 1080p, and 480i/p as 480i/p.

I can't find that in the menu "native" of the bluray player
post #12160 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:

Don't the analog inputs also bypass all the D2 matrixing capabilities and speaker configurations?

You have your choice. You can set them to a Direct pass-through where they aren't processed, or you can set them to go through the complete processing just as could be done with any digital audio signal or with normal stereo analog audio. When you set them to be processed, they are re-digitized in the D2, processed, and then converted back to analog for output.

The default setting for the 6-channel analog inputs is that they are processed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12161 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I can't find that in the menu "native" of the bluray player

I don't believe there are any Blu-Ray players currently shipping which will automatically change video output between 1080p and 480i depending upon whether you are playing a Blu-Ray disc or a standard DVD.

You will have to do it manually in the player each time you change disc type if you want to get the benefits of letting the D2 do the de-interlacing and scaling for your standard DVDs.

Be sure to check your video calibration both ways just in case the player does something different between 1080p and 480i. (You can easily set separate input levels in the D2 by assigning more than one overlayed input to that device -- e.g., DVD1 vs. DVD2 -- and then putting the setting changes in the Video Source Adjust menu under the "7" key for each of them.) Thus switching disc types would involve changing to the correct output resolution in the player and selecting the correct input in the D2.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12162 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:

No, I have one available but if I use it I will be maxed out... and I see an Apple TV in my future someday.

Unfortunately, the AppleTV will not work with the D2 or AVM50 via HDMI. So, no use to save the HDMI input for that until Apple fixes the problem. Apparently, the issue is on Apple's side so Anthem cannot fix it and it is not clear if Apple will do anything about it. Fortunately, you won't be missing anything since component/optical work fine for the A/V output capability of the AppleTV. That is how most people use it with the Anthem.

By the way, I really like my AppleTV ... great way to look at digital photos and listen to music with album art. I don't use the movie rentals/purchases feature too much, but when I have it has worked fine (not the highest video quality, but acceptable and it is really convenient.)
post #12163 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Sadly, the Denon will not output SACD multichanel over HDMI... only over the analogs.

I sold a denon 3930ci and am now using an Oppo 980h. I couldn't be happier. I've noticed no drop off in audio or video. I have reduced my cables out of the denon from 8 (hdmi, coax and 6 analog) to one hdmi.
Movies look and sound great; sacd & dvd-a sound as good. Plus I had enough money to order the ARC-1 without having to dip into savings. The Oppo and D2 work very well together.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #12164 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Just a follow up: The "rumble" processing noise introduced by ARC in one poster's D2 here (PM discussion) has indeed been fixed by the latest ARC software and D2 firmware.

Confirming that took a bit longer than it should have because the ARC update ran afoul of the "wrong serial #" installation problem that happened in some cases when a software update (not the initial install) was tried after the serial # stuff had already been established. That too now appears to be fixed.

Yay!

Maybe they can ship mine now....

--Bob

post #12165 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

I had the 1.30a firmware upgrade downloaded to my D2 today by my installer. We ran new sweeps and I still have the background noise in my D2. You notice it when the volume is turned up high in quiet scenes during movies or TV shows.(I use analog direct for music so the noise is not there). When you take the EQ(ARC) out of the input the noise disappears. I'm disappointed it didn't solve the problem. Ohh well back to the drawing board.

The A/V installer came over today, installed ARC 1.1 and did new sweeps and loaded them and background noise has completely disappeared from the D2. Yippee! The ARC sounds great in my system and I am thrilled. The ARC engineers & Piero of Anthem solved the problem. They stuck with it till they solved it. I am very impressed.
post #12166 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

The A/V installer came over today, installed ARC 1.1 and did new sweeps and loaded them and background noise has completely disappeared from the D2. Yippee! The ARC sounds great in my system and I am thrilled. The ARC engineers & Piero of Anthem solved the problem. They stuck with it till they solved it. I am very impressed.

Excellent! This will benefit ALL of us who (eventually ) get the ARC.

- Gordon

post #12167 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
gdc

Quote:

As someone else posted, Apple TV is broken over HDMI and no word on whether it will ever be fixed.

I love my Oppo 970. I may get the 980 and use the 970 in a spare bedroom.

If you have HDTV boxes using up HDMI inputs, that may be another thing to change. ATSC (US) HDTV will never have multichannel PCM or anything that would require HDMI for audio, and the video will never be better than 1080i - so there is minimal chance of loss using good quality component and coax/optical connections.

- Gordon

post #12168 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I love my Oppo 970. I may get the 980 and use the 970 in a spare bedroom.

I just ordered the 980 based on the positive feedback I've read here. Actually, I want to feed all my SD movies at 480i/60 into the D2 to see what the Gennum is capable of. Does anyone have any advice on D2 video settings when using the 980? I've read Nick's earlier post on the best 980 internal settings over HDMI.

My projector is the HD-1. Here's hoping that once Anthem is finished with ARC-1 that they resolve the cadence recovery problem when a 480i/60 source is output at 1080p/24 from the D2 (as noted in Bob's post #11560 at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13207695)
post #12169 of 43031 Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 PM

I spoke with both Anthem and Oppo tech support today. Anthem said they have heard of the HDMI hi-res multichannel problem between the D2 and the 980H and that Oppo has a firmware update to resolve the issue.

When I spoke with Oppo, although they confirmed the error is in the 980H and that they had seen issues with DVD-A, they had not verified the problem with 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 channel SACDs and asked me which discs I tried so that they could have their firmware engineers test with them. There is no firmware update currently available to resolve the D2/980H issue and it sounded like an update was not going to be ready in the immediate future.

Bart
post #12170 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I don't believe there are any Blu-Ray players currently shipping which will automatically change video output between 1080p and 480i depending upon whether you are playing a Blu-Ray disc or a standard DVD.

You will have to do it manually in the player each time you change disc type if you want to get the benefits of letting the D2 do the de-interlacing and scaling for your standard DVDs.

Be sure to check your video calibration both ways just in case the player does something different between 1080p and 480i. (You can easily set separate input levels in the D2 by assigning more than one overlayed input to that device -- e.g., DVD1 vs. DVD2 -- and then putting the setting changes in the Video Source Adjust menu under the "7" key for each of them.) Thus switching disc types would involve changing to the correct output resolution in the player and selecting the correct input in the D2.
--Bob

Bob,

I am waiting for delivery of my D2 (been a month). There is a choice to run the ouput unchanged rather than everything 1080p. Can there be varying upscale choices for one input into the D2 from the same source and have it set to upscale everything to 1080p ?

I had the Sony BluRAy player playing a 480i disc direct to a Sony Bravia TV52 and there were horizontal lines every time there was movement. I guess this was due to bad upscaler in the Sony. I am disappointed in the quality now of the Sony Bdps500 Sony Blu Ray now.

I wanted a bluray player that could do both old dvd's and bluray. Can you recommend or do I have to have a separate dvd player for older dvd's ?
post #12171 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Well darn... I wish the D2 had 8-channel input support (primarily over HDMI, but also analog). That's really the only sticking point for me - I'd rather not spend the money on this and not have it be a little-bit future proof (or at least future resistant).

I hope they come out with a D2.5 soon... Maybe add HDMI 1.3a support as well...

post #12172 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 AM

Liked: 11
Hello,

I've been hesitating about buying a D2 for the last 3 months now expecting for something newer but as good to come out on the market.
But I don't see anything worth it for the moment, or is it so?

Here is why I am hesitating. Please feel free to argue or contradict me.

- The unit is already almost 4 years old
- It won't have HDMI 1.3 (but then again, LPCM can be a workaround for HD audio formats, right?)
- Is the Gennum video processor still up to the competition with newer video processors?
- Is the new Room correction add-on up to the competition today?

Thanks
post #12173 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

I've been hesitating about buying a D2 for the last 3 months now expecting for something newer but as good to come out on the market.
But I don't see anything worth it for the moment, or is it so?

Here is why I am hesitating. Please feel free to argue or contradict me.

- The unit is already almost 4 years old
- It won't have HDMI 1.3 (but then again, LPCM can be a workaround for HD audio formats, right?)
- Is the Gennum video processor still up to the competition with newer video processors?
- Is the new Room correction add-on up to the competition today?

Thanks

It doesn't support 8-channel LPCM over HDMI, only 6-channel. See the last few posts on this, but this is the primary issue for me.

The RoomEQ is state-of-the-art.

The VP is very high quality, and better than in most CE devices today.

post #12174 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 06:06 AM

Only 6 channels supported?
Well than this is it.
No need to look further.
The only compromise I would have made against HDMI 1.3 would have been 8 channels through LPCM.
Guess I'll have to wait.
post #12175 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 AM

xtrips, how many source discs do you have that contain 8 discrete channels of audio? I know there are a couple out now on BR, but compared to the vast majority with 6 channel, essentially none. And HDMI 1.3...just need a player that will internally decode TrueHD and DTS-MA out via multichannel PCM. Ok, selection is limited right now, but with the Denon 3800 out and others on the way, this issue will soon be sorted for HDMI 1.2 only prepros like the D2.
post #12176 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppacreek View Post

xtrips, how many source discs do you have that contain 8 discrete channels of audio? I know there are a couple out now on BR, but compared to the vast majority with 6 channel, essentially none. And HDMI 1.3...just need a player that will internally decode TrueHD and DTS-MA out via multichannel PCM. Ok, selection is limited right now, but with the Denon 3800 out and others on the way, this issue will soon be sorted for HDMI 1.2 only prepros like the D2.

Hello,
You want to tell me that you would buy a brand new processor today, renouncing up front to the possibility of using an 8 channel signal?
We are only at the beginning of the HD audio revolution. To give it all up already would seem like a miscalculation.
I already own a TagMcLaren full featured processor that has faithfully served me for the last 7 years.
I don't (almost) expect less from my next processor.

Thank you for exposing your POV anyway.
post #12177 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Hello,
You want to tell me that you would buy a brand new processor today, renouncing up front to the possibility of using an 8 channel signal?
We are only at the beginning of the HD audio revolution. To give it all up already would seem like a miscalculation.
I already own a TagMcLaren full featured processor that has faithfully served me for the last 7 years.
I don't (almost) expect less from my next processor.

Thank you for exposing your POV anyway.

Hehe...ok then you're already done, you don't need the D2. I bot the D2 about a month ago because I needed (and can afford) a decent preamp/processor, so yes, I would definitely buy a processor today that isn't capable of receiving 8 discrete channels.

I simply don't see that movie studios are going to go whole hog on 7.1 when so many of us are running 5.1 systems. I could be wrong on this, but there are least a few years (if not more) ahead of us to enjoy 5.1. When (and if) the time comes that movie content is being released as TRUE 7.1, then I'll consider to upgrade my processor. In the interim, if I want 7.1 (which I don't right now) I'll utilize the processing abilities in the D2 to provide that for me from 5.1 channels.

Dunno 'bout you, but no miscalculation on that as far as I can see

One thing I didn't add...I replaced a Denon 3806 in my system with the D2. The difference in audio and video processing ability, not to mention sound quality, has been revolutionary, not evolutionary.
post #12178 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

One thing I didn't add...I replaced a Denon 3806 in my system with the D2. The difference in audio and video processing ability, not to mention sound quality, has been revolutionary, not evolutionary.

ALL us D2 Owners Support your opinion and I came from Lexicon to Anthem.

post #12179 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Hehe...ok then you're already done, you don't need the D2. I bot the D2 about a month ago because I needed (and can afford) a decent preamp/processor, so yes, I would definitely buy a processor today that isn't capable of receiving 8 discrete channels.

I simply don't see that movie studios are going to go whole hog on 7.1 when so many of us are running 5.1 systems. I could be wrong on this, but there are least a few years (if not more) ahead of us to enjoy 5.1. When (and if) the time comes that movie content is being released as TRUE 7.1, then I'll consider to upgrade my processor. In the interim, if I want 7.1 (which I don't right now) I'll utilize the processing abilities in the D2 to provide that for me from 5.1 channels.

Dunno 'bout you, but no miscalculation on that as far as I can see

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

ALL us D2 Owners Support your opinion and I came from Lexicon to Anthem.

Well, First, that's not so smart on my part to express myself in such a way in a "D2 owners forum", to say the least. I mean you are all already there...
Second, and I quote
"I simply don't see that movie studios are going to go whole hog on 7.1"
I understand this is based on an asumption, but It is true you have a point here, I tend to think like you.
Although I own a pretty high-end 8 channel speakers set, I always thought it was a gimmick on the marketing part that got me fall for it.

So, to conclude, hmmm, you got me confused now

At the moment my only source for HD audio is my HTPC through an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard, using 6 X analog output into my Tag's 6 channels bypass input.
But as soon as Auzentech releases their HDMI add-on card, I might become more impatient to upgrade my pre-pro......
Well well well....
post #12180 of 43031 Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:

At the moment my only source for HD audio is my HTPC through an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard, using 6 X analog output into my Tag's 6 channels bypass input.
But as soon as Auzentech releases their HDMI add-on card, I might become more impatient to upgrade my pre-pro......
Well well well....

I see your point. In my pc room, quite separate from my HT, I have the Prelude 7.1 in my desktop pc, also running analog out to my AVR, the 3806, so only 5.1. One area that could be going 7.1 in a big way is games. If that happens, I'll keep the 3806 (which can support 8 channel) for my pc room.

Out of curiosity, when is the Prelude HDMI add-on card expected to arrive? Will it have the ability to decode TrueHD/DTS-MA to MPCM plus also bitstream out?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page