post #12241 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fitz View Post

I was told mine wouldn't come till the end of next week as well.

Yeah looks like this is it. My guess is that everything is ready technically and they just need some time to get the latest firmware disks and documentation updated.

Cheers,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panners View Post

Thanks Richard,

I was also wondering, when I do the upgrade do I also back up all my settings
using the Live Video Settings Editor? Or how do I back up my settings?

This is the upgrade step by step that was posted a little while ago and seems to be what the folks here suggest. For step 10 just assume 129k = whichever FW version you are upgrading too.

So these instructions would get us to FW 1.31, but do not include any specific ARC-1 steps. Does anyone have the suggested 1.31 and then ARC-1 running steps from the Anthem instructions?

For me I would also need to install the Live View (which I think is a PC install which I would do first).

1.) Shut off the D2 using the rear power switch.

2.) Removed all HDMI inputs and output.

3.) Plugged-in the RS-232 connector.

4.) Powered up unit from rear.

5.) Used Live View to turn on unit, get current settings and save.

6.) Used remote to save current settings via setup menu.

7.) Restored Factory Defaults.

8.) Shut off unit via Front Panel.

9.) Cycled on/off rear power switch.

10.) Uploaded 129.k

11.) Turned on unit via Front Panel and after 30 sec. shut down.

12.) Turned on unit via Front Panel and loaded Factory Defaults, then loaded my saved settings.

13.) Opened Live View and loaded my saved settings and uploaded to D2.

14.) Turned of unit via Front Panel and shut down rear power.

15.) Removed Rs-232 connector and plugged-in HDMI Inputs and output.

16.) Turned on Rear Switch and powered up D2.

Cheers,

Richard
post #12243 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdoggy View Post

Hi

First impressions that everyone works right out of the box. Being experienced with Lexicon mc12c, mcintosh mx135, Parasound C1, Rotel 1098 and others I was able to plug everything in and pretty much works.

BIG QUESTION: When selecting audio modes for Sat TV which is recommended by you experienced hands. Right out of the box I hear the voices coming from all around rather than from the center speaker or Screen as I have heard from ALL other Processors before.

I will get in depth experience, but a leg up here in the beginning would be appreciated as my wife will not like this tonight.

Sound is clear precise and picture is better than the upscaling out of the DVDO before.

I would like to have a general movie SAT TV sound mode to choose for SAT TV where the sound is coming from the screen.

I will get to room correction as soon as I have saved everything so its up and running smoothly with the Universal Remote for the family before they start stoning me

Well I can't answer your question, but I can suggest you post all your current audio, speaker input/output settings for SAT1.

SAT Box:
How is it connected? EX: HDMI
What are the SAT box setting for both audio out and and audio processing. For example my cable box lets me chose the Audio Out format: for me Digital and then Digital Out = HDMI and I can also choose Bitstream, PCM or Auto etc.

D2:
So Setup > Speaker Config
Also Setup > Source Setup > SAT1
Also Setup > Mode Presets > SAT1
And just to be safe Setup > ADC / Audio Output

You will get asked for some if not all of this in any case so might as well get ahead of the curve.

Sorry I can't answer directly. If this forum were a Support line, think of me as the guy who answers the phone and then asks if your unit is plugged in and if the cable is connected. Once past that I would pass you to Bob or one of the others hahaa

Cheers,

Richard
post #12244 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdoggy View Post

BIG QUESTION: When selecting audio modes for Sat TV which is recommended by you experienced hands. Right out of the box I hear the voices coming from all around rather than from the center speaker or Screen as I have heard from ALL other Processors before.

The first order of business is to make sure you have your audio set up correctly. In particular, make sure you have balanced the volume levels for your speakers. Do this with the test tones in the Anthem's Setup / Level Calibration menu. Use a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter from Radio Shack to measure this rather than doing it by ear. They are inexpensive and it's what everyone uses.

Setting up a subwoofer properly is a little more complicated. There are some posts in the link collection in the first post of this thread that may be helpful.

Having done that, the Audio Mode you use for watching TV is a matter of personal preference. There is no "right" answer. And keep in mind that some of the Audio Modes have parameters that you can adjust using the Remote to tune them to your preference. These are remembered on a per source device basis. The factory default settings are good, so don't fiddle with these until you gain some experience with how your setup sounds using the defaults.

Personally, I use Anthem Logic - Cinema for normal (i.e, stereo) TV broadcasts, and I use PLIIx with THX turned ON for movies broadcast in DD5.1. In the Setup / Source Setup menu you can establish the default you like for each source and for each style of audio coming in from that source. For example I have PLIIx set (no THX) for 5.1 input from my cable TV box because I like to decide on a movie by movie basis whether I also want to turn on the THX post processing. This means if I encounter a live HDTV program that's sending DD5.1 I don't have to remember to turn THX off.

One special case is if you are watching an old black and white movie. Back then, movie sound tracks had deliberate treble boost since the speakers were behind the movie screen and the sound would be muffled otherwise. Some broadcasts will already have corrected for this, but others will be broadcasting the original sound track, which will sound too bright and hissy. To make the original sound track sound best in those cases, use Anthem Logic - Mono Academy mode. This will remove the "Motion Picture Academy" EQ bias from the audio. (This also applies to old movies on DVD).

Finally, keep in mind that the Audio Modes available to you at any time depend on (1) whether or not you have rear speakers configured, (2) the type of audio input at the moment, and (3) whether or not you have THX post-processing turned on. So for example, if you happen to have THX turned on, that AL-Mono Academy mode *WILL NOT* appear as a choice when you cycle through the modes.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12245 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks Bob and Richard,

I found that in the Anthem Logic Cinema the voices were coming from all sides, and after switching to PLIIx the voice came from the front more, so I using that for Satellites.

One of the satellites audio and video come from hdmi and the other Satellite video from hdmi and I had to use dig coax as hdmi was not working with audio. I am not sure maybe handshake problems.

Outstanding sound and image quality and beats the McIntosh with a stick. Also better than the Lexicon mc12b (although it didn't have hdmi)

I couldn't figure out how to calibrate the subwoofer as no test sounds came out when I was using manual selecting the sub.

I will live with it for a day or 2 before running the ARC software with the Mic's that have come. Very Cool looking case with the mic in it and I am anxious to run it, but will wait, because I might need to make some adjustments with configuration, and don't want to do it twice. I can report here how it works if you would like me to.

I need to look in to the ADC as I may have passed over that one. No manual came with the unit ?? I had to download one. Normal??

One question: If I am using a source that has DTS or LPCM (Blu-Ray) or DD5.1 will this automatically be used or will one of the preselected audio modes over-ride the input ?
post #12246 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

If you are not getting test tones from your subwoofer, then something is wrong in your setup.
--Bob

post #12247 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you are not getting test tones from your subwoofer, then something is wrong in your setup.
--Bob

Well the Sub is working as I hear it working with Sat Tv stations in PLIIx ??

But when I run the test no sounds come out of the sub.

does it matter if the sub out coax is in the left or right output of Sub 1?
post #12248 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Just got off the phone with Anthem and he says it could be something to do with the bass management

Because I have music and cinema same as might affect the test tone ??

I will try it out
post #12249 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Also, Anthem Logic - Cinema is not an aggressive surround mode. If you are hearing lots of dialog from your surround speakers when watching TV then that also means something is not right.

Are you sure the sound is coming from your surrounds? If your front speakers are not in phase (one or two of them wired reverse polarity compared to the other) then you will get a "diffuse" sound field that might sound like too much surround sound.

For example, with the factory default parameters the PLIIx mode is more aggressive than AL-Cinema -- more of the stereo audio input will end up being directed to the surround speakers.
--Bob

post #12250 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I went out and purchased a laptop (Vista) mainly just for downloads and upgrading. I download via e-mail v. 1.31 and I'm instructed to use the DESKTOP because the update won't work with Vista. The desktop has XP and I'll have to use it for the upgrade.
You would think that Anthem could upgrade to Vista since every laptop on the market now has it. What gives????
post #12251 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Wake me when the ARC sets sail

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #12252 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

WOO HOO!!

Anthem D2 V1.3x Operating Manual is now up on the public D2 web site:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/P...ual/D2_OM.html

The software download page still shows V1.11 at the moment.

ETA: V1.3x updates for the AVM-40 and AVM-50 Operating Manuals are also now on the public web page in their area:

http://www.anthemAV.com/NewSitev2.0/...OwnersMan.html
--Bob

post #12253 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM

Can you explain why you use PLII instead of one of the modes "intended" for 5.1 discrete sources?

Thanks!
post #12254 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
SNORK, HUMPH, WHA? New manual posted?
Thanks for waking me Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzihd View Post

Can you explain why you use PLII instead of one of the modes "intended" for 5.1 discrete sources?
Thanks!

Assuming you mean DPLIIx?
It is meant for 5.1 discrete sources and does an excellent job in both music and movies. imo.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #12255 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Also, Anthem Logic - Cinema is not an aggressive surround mode. If you are hearing lots of dialog from your surround speakers when watching TV then that also means something is not right.

Are you sure the sound is coming from your surrounds? If your front speakers are not in phase (one or two of them wired reverse polarity compared to the other) then you will get a "diffuse" sound field that might sound like too much surround sound.

For example, with the factory default parameters the PLIIx mode is more aggressive than AL-Cinema -- more of the stereo audio input will end up being directed to the surround speakers.
--Bob

5 haven't had time to run the test signal, but I was too quick on the installation and didn't see the Sub 1 or Sub 2 and connected to the left or right Sub which I think will solve the problem.

Also I am using all large speakers and thought it might sound better with Sub Super to see if that adds more on the Bass.

All the Polarity's are correct and I use XLR interconnects on the other side.

I need to give it a relisten now that the speaker calibration is done to evaluate it properly.

Since I just took delivery of my D2 this week direct from the factory with ARC I probably am up to date software wise would you not think.

How do I check software what version I am running ?
post #12256 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I assume you mean you have set your speakers to large.I think it is usualy set to small.I dont know about the sub.
post #12257 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 PM

They now have version 1.31 at their public web site. They state that it works with Windows 98 Me nt xp and 2000. No mention of vista. I used to use an old laptop with a real serial port under windows 98 and didn't have any problems until version 1.29d and I could only load it with a desktop with windows xp. Maybe I'll be able to use my old laptop which is easier that carting a desk top from my office.
post #12258 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

I went out and purchased a laptop (Vista) mainly just for downloads and upgrading. I download via e-mail v. 1.31 and I'm instructed to use the DESKTOP because the update won't work with Vista. The desktop has XP and I'll have to use it for the upgrade.
You would think that Anthem could upgrade to Vista since every laptop on the market now has it. What gives????

I remember hearing/reading recently that the most success Anthem had with the ARC software was when using it with Vista. That the FW loader does not work with Vista makes little sense. You don't mention who told you not to use Vista. Did you try to see if the .exe file at least opened in Vista? Or, better yet, did you try to access the D2 with the LiveVideo Editor opened in Vista. I was within minutes of pulling the trigger on a new Sony Vaio with Vista Ultimate until I read this. I sent Nick an email asking for a confirmation and he replied, faster then he has ever replied, that Vista works for them, and perhaps any failure is hardware dependent.

John
post #12259 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post

They now have version 1.31 at their public web site.

Wu hoo! Maybe now Bob will upgrade!

EDT: The D1 v1.31.exe from the public website matches the version posted to the beta site in the last couple days.

|
post #12260 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM

I wonder the same thing. I have a new laptop with Vista but no real serial port. The processor is a lot faster than my old laptop which has a real serial port. I haven't recieved my ARC yet but I am wondering whether it will make any diffenece using the old lap top for both loading the firmware and processing the equalizer information and then loading it to the D2 or should I invest in a usb to serial port adaptor and use the faster computer with Vista to do both? I had read that post about using Vista however on their official website they didn't mention vista for downloading the firmware 1.31
post #12261 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post

They now have version 1.31 at their public web site. They state that it works with Windows 98 Me nt xp and 2000. No mention of vista. I used to use an old laptop with a real serial port under windows 98 and didn't have any problems until version 1.29d and I could only load it with a desktop with windows xp. Maybe I'll be able to use my old laptop which is easier that carting a desk top from my office.

QUITE CORRECT!

The D2 V1.31 software install kit is now up on the public Anthem Statement D2 web site:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/P...e/Upgrade.html

The kit includes the following components:

Anthem video timings.pdf Nov 21, 2006, 4:41PM
AnthemAV_RS-232v6.xls Jan 24, 2008, 11:54PM
D2 V1.31.exe Mar 25, 2008, 10:25 PM (6,520,832 bytes)
LiveVideoSettingsEditor v1.20.exe Sep 25, 2007 10:16AM (552,960 bytes)
Read Me - Settings Editor.txt Mar 25, 2008 4:08PM
Read Me - Upgrades.txt Mar 25, 2008 4:36PM
RS-232 Updates.txt Jan 25, 2008 12:03AM

There is NO "Setup Editor" in this install kit yet. Nor is the Windows PC software for ARC present in the install kit.

Those of you who have been working in the password protected download site, please confirm that the V1.31 installer in this public kit is actually the latest version and report back here. Thanks! ETA: OK, I see Tim Winders has already confirmed this. Thanks, Tim!
--Bob

[edit: Corrected "Settings Editor" to "Setup Editor" which is actually the name of the missing program.]

post #12262 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

Bob will wait for his ARC.

But I just did a FW upgrade to my Blu-Ray player and NOW it
is Profile 2.0. Where can I find movies with 2.0 Content to check
it out?
post #12263 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Bob will wait for his ARC.

But I just did a FW upgrade to my Blu-Ray player and NOW it
is Profile 2.0. Where can I find movies with 2.0 Content to check
it out?

That's your older Pioneer right? Man, are they STILL planning on shipping the 05FD without an ethernet port???
--Bob

post #12264 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's your older Pioneer right? Man, are they STILL planning on shipping the 05FD without an ethernet port???
--Bob

NO WAY JOSE - the older Pioneer can NEVER be upgraded to 2.0
post #12265 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

FYI for anyone who received a D2 with V1.30 pre-installed or who otherwise nabbed the PDF file for the V1.3x manual from that point in time: The D2 V1.3x Operating Manual now available for download from the Anthem D2 public site is newer (dated today) and is some 66K bytes longer.

So download the new one!
--Bob

post #12266 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

NO WAY JOSE - the older Pioneer can NEVER be upgraded to 2.0

So SPILL THE BEANS! Which player?
--Bob

post #12267 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So SPILL THE BEANS! Which player?
--Bob

The only one CAPABLE of being Upgraded
post #12268 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

PS3?
--Bob

post #12269 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS3?
--Bob

YES YES YES
post #12270 of 43095 Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

I'm traveling this weekend, so the first chance I'll have to try this will be sometime next week.
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page