Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1261 of 43164 Old 08-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The following company makes a number of useful items to get rid of ground loops: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 43164 Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try this for ground loop, works for me and only $10.00 http://www.smarthome.com/81285.html
post #1263 of 43164 Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I recently bought an AVM-50 and after reading all the issues a lot of people have been having with it getting hot I have been paying attention to it and mine doesnt seem to be getting hot at all. I had it on for 3 hours last night and it barely felt warm

so far so good, dont have it tweeked all the way yet but I am getting there

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #1264 of 43164 Old 08-12-2006, 04:49 PM

I too have the AVM50. It does not get hot at all. We still dont have HD cable or Satellite here in the Philippines. But wilth all other sources, everything works
post #1265 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Must be hot in the Philippines especially this time of the year. I assume your AVM50 is in an air conditioned room!

My Anthem D2 doesn't get hot either. A little warm, but not much, really. Granted, my home theater room is about 68 degrees Fahrenheit. My D2 is in a built-in rack, so it's closed on the back and on the sides. The front is open though, and I have about 6" of free space above the D2. I recently put together a new Salamander rack that is open in the front and back and has perforated metal sides for ventilation. I plan on moving the D2 there once I get some time. That will allow it to run even cooler (again, heat is not an issue for me, but at the time I bought the Salamander rack, I was reading about the heat that others were reporting, so I wound up designing the Salamander rack to ensure I have very adequate cooling).
post #1266 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Oblow View Post

Try this for ground loop, works for me and only $10.00 http://www.smarthome.com/81285.html

At the risk of sounding goofy..where does this go exactly? My Sat HD DVR has about 5 inputs...?

Kaboom.
post #1267 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is for ground loop hum caused by cable tv it goes in thecable line before the cable box
post #1268 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 12:47 PM

Hi guys,

I just received a D2 also. I guess I can be a part of this club now ...

Hopefully I'll be a happy owner.

I have purchased a new sony 1080p lcd but don't have it yet. I've got the D2 hooked up to a SA 8300HD cable box via component and the D2 hooked up to a Samsung 26" (yes ... I did say 26") HDTV via component. I seem to have some syncing issues. When I initially set it up for 1080i operation, it worked fine. Now I can only get 480i working intermittently. The cable box to the TV direct worked fine for me. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've got the following settings in Video Output:

OSD format: NTSC
Preferred: HDMI
Resolution: 1920x1080i/60Hz
Color Space: Auto
Data Format: YPbPr
Letterbox: Black
Sync: Normal
Component 2 Out: Processed

Incidentally, in regards to the HDMI jack issue, my rather newer D2 has a sign taped over HDMI jacks that reads:

WARNING
BE CAREFUL WHEN INSERTING HDMI CABLES.
The connector should slide into the jack easily -- do not insert it on an angle and do not force it in. Each connector contains 19 delicate pins, and cables with damaged pins can damage the jack.
Jacks damaged through misuse are not covered under warranty.
If your HDMI cables have been connected so many times that they are about to wear out, we strongly recommend that you replace them to prevent damage to any HDMI jacks in your system

Clearly, all you guys damaging your jacks are haphazardly monkeying around with the unit and do not fully understand the delicate intricacies of HDMI cable insertion ... Seriously, after reading this thread, I find it a bit concerning that they are trying to deny any blame for this and deny any financial responsibility for it. Needless to say I won't be inserting any HDMI cables until I really have to. They will also be brand new cables that are individually visually inspected to be in good shape. Really now, should I have to go through all that with a $6500 piece of gear? [/end rant] ...
post #1269 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipan View Post

Incidentally, in regards to the HDMI jack issue, my rather newer D2 has a sign taped over HDMI jacks that reads:

WARNING
The connector should slide into the jack easily -- do not insert it on an angle and do not force it in. Each connector contains 19 delicate pins, and cables with damaged pins can damage the jack.

I would have to look in my box, but a very similar sign was taped to the back of my D2 purchased last April.

Good luck with your new D2. And don't be afraid to connect hdmi cables to it. That is why you purchased it - isn't it?? Do your hdmi inputs have the new locking connector on them?

I have never had a problem inserting an hdmi cable into my D2.

Stan
post #1270 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi guys,

WARNING
If your HDMI cables have been connected so many times that they are about to wear out, we strongly recommend that you replace them to prevent damage to any HDMI jacks in your system

Clearly, all you guys damaging your jacks are haphazardly monkeying around with the unit and do not fully understand the delicate intricacies of HDMI cable insertion ... Seriously, after reading this thread, I find it a bit concerning that they are trying to deny any blame for this and deny any financial responsibility for it. Needless to say I won't be inserting any HDMI cables until I really have to. They will also be brand new cables that are individually visually inspected to be in good shape. Really now, should I have to go through all that with a $6500 piece of gear? [/end rant] ...

Should read

"We used sub standard parts and if they break it is your fault".

Notice they do not put this disclaimer on the web site but leave it as a nice suprise when you open the box.

Never seen this on any other product with HDMI.

"You can safely assume that you've created a Dog in your own image when it turns out that Dog hates all the same people you do."
post #1271 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

I would have to look in my box, but a very similar sign was taped to the back of my D2 purchased last April.

Good luck with your new D2. And don't be afraid to connect hdmi cables to it. That is why you purchased it - isn't it?? Do your hdmi inputs have the new locking connector on them?

I have to be afraid of plugging in HDMI cables. I still plan on doing it, but only when I'm ready for final installation. My sockets do have three very tiny retaining pins on the bottom of the socket. There are either soldering points or two additional clips visible on the top right. I wouldn't think that they provide any locking, but probably just help to guide the connector properly.
post #1272 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

I've never had an issue inserting them either. Now KEEPING them in is another issue! The HDMI sockets that Anthem uses are pathetic for a $6500 msrp device, and I understand they are being replaced soon in ongoing production. I believe that the substandard HDMI sockets have a lot to do with some of the switching issues some of us are experiencing. Anthem is in deep denial about all the problems associated with HDMI on the D2, so it doesn't surprise me that they deny any responsibility for anything.

My solution was to purchase a handfull of flexible HDMI pigtails that don't allow the main cables to put strain on the sockets. Additionally, every time I have to change a HDMI device I can unplug it's cord from the pigtail rather than the D2 itself, saving wear and tear on the overly fragile and tempermental D2.

Jerry Rappaport
post #1273 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have had a strange thing happen a couple of times on start up. The picture will have about a one inch wide green vertical band on the left side where I guess the picture is not centered. I have had to shut it down and start over again to correct it. Twice.

Kaboom.
post #1274 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi guys,
I've got the D2 hooked up to a SA 8300HD cable box via component and the D2 hooked up to a Samsung 26" (yes ... I did say 26") HDTV via component. I seem to have some syncing issues.

My 8300HD works fine for me. Make sure you set repeater=off (or was it false?) in the source setting for the DVR.
post #1275 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I've got the D2 hooked up to a SA 8300HD cable box via component and the D2 hooked up to a Samsung 26" (yes ... I did say 26") HDTV via component. I seem to have some syncing issues. When I initially set it up for 1080i operation, it worked fine. Now I can only get 480i working intermittently. The cable box to the TV direct worked fine for me. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've got the following settings in Video Output:

OSD format: NTSC
Preferred: HDMI
Resolution: 1920x1080i/60Hz
Color Space: Auto
Data Format: YPbPr
Letterbox: Black
Sync: Normal
Component 2 Out: Processed

Is there a reason you have Preferred set to HDMI instead of component?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

My 8300HD works fine for me. Make sure you set repeater=off (or was it false?) in the source setting for the DVR.

If he is using component the repeater setting should not come into play.

I was kind of insulted by the HDMI warning sticker too. Although by most of the reports here they aren't actually enforcing that warning.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1276 of 43164 Old 08-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Is there a reason you have Preferred set to HDMI instead of component?

If he is using component the repeater setting should not come into play.

I was kind of insulted by the HDMI warning sticker too. Although by most of the reports here they aren't actually enforcing that warning.

Sorry, I was wrong. It is on component. When it was initially installed it was on HDMI and the picture was grainy and off color, but nowhere near the distortion I'm having now. Maybe it's just the TV's fault. I'll have to wait until the 1080p display arrives to be sure. It is an old TV that I have. And maybe that one time I dropped it from 3 ft caused some damage a couple months ago. Built like a tank and weighs as much. It still works otherwise.
post #1277 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Liked: 15
Apologize if this was covered somewhere before;

I just bought the Toshiba HDX and was confused by the various audio setup options.

I've got it connected via HDMI - but then was reading through the manual of what to have connected - should it be the analog 6 connection - for DD+? Or should I have the optical connected for SD DVD's?

What should I set the input for on the Anthem side - should it be HDMI digital? Analog?

On the Toshiba side - what should be set -- HDMI? or PCM?

Arr!... help! (but it does have a nice picture tho')
post #1278 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't need optical or analog, HDMI will do it all and it is the preferred method if you want to maximize the potential of the D2. Can you be more specific on which of the Toshiba and D2 settings you are referring to? I'll check my setup if you can give me the specific settings.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1279 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok here is one for you Pioneer 59/79AVi guys. Are you getting multichannel off of DVD-A's through the HDMI port? When I play the multi-channel track of a DVD-A the anthem is detecting it as two channel. I know I'm playing the right tracks because the M/C indicator is lit on the player and switching to analog 5.1 has the other channels. Solution???

(Edit)Hmm seems goenkar had a similar problem with his Oppo after upgrading to 1.06. Anyone have M/C DVD-A working over HDMI?

Tom

post #1280 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM

I have a DirecTV HR10-250 connected to my D2 via HDMI and it seems to work OK. My TV is a 720p DLP. I can't find anyway to set the HR10-250 to send SDTV at 480i and HDTV at 720p automatically. Switching from an HD program to a SD program (and using the D2s scaler) involves a bunch of button presses to get the D2 and the HR10-250 set up correctly.

Anybody know the proper settings?

larry
post #1281 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Larry why do you have to change anything on the D2 side? Ideally it would be a one button press to change the res on the HR10. I take it it is much more involved. On my STB (cable) I have to enable all the resolutions to get them to pass thru other STBs I've seen have a pass-thru setting I guess the HR10 doesn't have this and automatically scales the SDTV channels.

Tom

post #1282 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking to upgrade my AVM30 to a AVM50, anyone heard when Anthem is going to start upgrading these?
post #1283 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

By most accounts the upgrades are still a ways down the road, you would really have to ask Anthem. Personally I think they are waiting on us D2 and AVM-50 owners to finish beta testing.

Tom

post #1284 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

By most accounts the upgrades are still a ways down the road, you would really have to ask Anthem. Personally I think they are waiting on us D2 and AVM-50 owners to finish beta testing.

Am I better off selling my 30 and buying a 50?
post #1285 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post

Am I better off selling my 30 and buying a 50?

You may be correct on this
if you can get a good $ for it I will do that.
New warranty may be worth it

May be New to this site but old to HT :)

post #1286 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
BLS

Lchurch,

How old is your HR10-250? I had mine for a couple years before I had any HDMI equipment to use and I don't get anything out of the HDMI port.

The component video out does shut off when I plug an HDMI cable into it, but I get nothing.

Hopefully I'll be one of the D2 club here in a few months!
post #1287 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 03:52 PM

My HR10-250 is about a year old. And yes, the HDMI output disables the component output.

I can set the output resolution to whatever I want (480i, 720p). The HR10-250 will then scale it's output to that resolution. I can also program the remote to switch the out put resolution. As far as I can tell, there is no way to have the HR10-250 set it's output resolution to 480i for SD and 720p for HD.

My guess is that the scaler in my D2 would probably do a better job of scaling 480i to 720p (the resolution of my TV).

larry
post #1288 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the video scalar in the D2 output 1080p24sf? I have a modded qualia that can accept 1080p/60 but for film sourced material 1080p24sf is smoother. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth from 1080p/60 to 1080p24sf. I dont think the Qualia will accept 1080p/24 but I cant be certain, I cant get anythign to send that. It wont accept 1080p/48 thats for sure. It will accept 1080p24sf, 1080p/50 and 1080p/60.

post #1289 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, it outputs 1080p24.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate

|
post #1290 of 43164 Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think my projector can accept 1080p/24 but it might. I think it only accepts 1080p24sf, 1080p/60 and 1080p/50.

Does anyone know if the D2 can output 1080p24sf?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page