Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #14251 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just got a used D2 delivered to me, and I have set it up with my Tivo.

Something weird is going on. On a SD channel (480i etc) if I flip the input on the D2 to 'TV' I get sound, it says "Dolby D, AL-Cinema". When I then flip to a HD channel, DD 5.1 is kicking in just fine. But when I flip back to a SD channel, the audio doesn't kick in. With "AutoDig" off, it says "Digital" (with no sound). and if I tun on "AutoDig", then it says "AnlgDSP," still with no sound.

If I then change inputs to something else and back to TV, it will come up with "Dolby D" again, and I will have the sound.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks
Goatwuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14252 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Something weird is going on. On a SD channel (480i etc) if I flip the input on the D2 to 'TV' I get sound, it says "Dolby D, AL-Cinema". When I then flip to a HD channel, DD 5.1 is kicking in just fine. But when I flip back to a SD channel, the audio doesn't kick in. With "AutoDig" off, it says "Digital" (with no sound). and if I tun on "AutoDig", then it says "AnlgDSP," still with no sound.

If I then change inputs to something else and back to TV, it will come up with "Dolby D" again, and I will have the sound.

What is the Firmware version?

John
post #14253 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Using an outdated Setup Editor to Save/Restore your Setup menus on PC!

Setup Editor (not to be confused with Live Video Settings Editor) is an Anthem Windows application for manipulating the Setup menu entries. In the past, it was most commonly used to backup a copy of all your Setup menu entries to a PC file and to restore the Anthem's Setup menu from such a file.

However, there is no current version of Setup Editor that works with the latest "official" release software, and there is not likely to be a new version soon.

But wait! There's a trick that will let you use an old Setup Editor with new Anthem firmware if all you want to do is save and restore the entire Setup menu on a PC! Here's Nick from Anthem in an email I received today:

Quote:

If you don't do anything that'll change file format, which includes editing
and saving, then an old version of Setup Editor would work - it's just a
memory dump. The key is to click only on "Save settings from unit to file"
and on "Load settings from file to unit" which will open a browser. Do not
click on "Open file".

If you have a firmware install kit from back in the V1.06 to V1.11 vintage, then you will find an older version of Setup Editor in that folder. I believe the last version of Setup Editor that made it out to the public was the V1.10 version that was in the V1.10 and V1.11 firmware install kits.

I have not yet tried this trick myself, so take this with a grain of salt until we get some reports that it is working as described with the latest Anthem firmware. Also, understand that there might be issues if you take a saved Setup menu from one version of the firmware and Load it to another version of the firmware as the internal format of the Setup menu entries sometimes changes between versions.

=========================

ETA: Just got a follow-up from Nick that he has placed version V1.29e of Setup Editor in "Link 1" of the password protected download page. That version is still not fully compatible with the V1.3x firmware, but it's more up to date than the V1.10 stuff which was the last version I knew about. There is also a text file in there now which covers the same info I've got here in this post.

WARNING: This version of Setup Editor is *NOT* fully compatible with V1.31 or V1.33 software! Use it *ONLY* for saving and restoring the entire set of Setup menu items, as a complete set, *DIRECTLY* to and from a PC file as described above and in that text file.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14254 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwuss View Post

Hello,

Thanks
Goatwuss

As NETROAMER implies, the most likely thing that's going on is that you need to update the firmware in your D2. HDMI from the Tivo boxes gave the Anthems fits in some versions of the firmware.

You can find your current firmware version by pressing Select once on the remote. The firmware version will come up at the end of the first line of text in the Front Panel display.

The latest "official" version of the D2 firmware is V1.33, available for download from the Anthem public download page:

http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/HTML/P...e/Upgrade.html

When you run the installer application, it will display a bunch of instructions. You will likely have to exit the installer to do some of the steps (such as making sure you have no powered HDMI connections, and Reloading Factory Defaults), then run the installer application again when you are ready to perform the install.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14255 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
i will be using a mac book pro with bootcamp to do the D2 upgrades and arc install, etc.
question: what windows os is best. i am a mac guy, and there are 10 versions(+) of xp/vista.
i am clueless!
then, there are reported compatability issues with mac/bootcamp/windows.
insight and recommendations are requested.
thx
walt
post #14256 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

I've been using Windows XP Home Edition on a MacBook with BootCamp. So far I've only used it for ARC and for Live Video Settings Editor. I'm using a Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter with it (along with the latest software driver from the Keyspan site).

I've not yet had the nerve to try doing an Anthem firmware install using that setup. I'm using an older Windows 2000 laptop with a real serial port for that.
--Bob

post #14257 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've been using Windows XP Home Edition on a MacBook with BootCamp. So far I've only used it for ARC and for Live Video Settings Editor. I'm using a Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter with it (along with the latest software driver from the Keyspan site).

I've not yet had the nerve to try doing an Anthem firmware install using that setup. I'm using an older Windows 2000 laptop with a real serial port for that.
--Bob

I used my laptop, which has XP and the Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter, to upgrade my firmware for my D2 to 1.33, and I did not have a problem.
post #14258 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 07:32 PM

I use my hp laptop with vista ultimate 64 and the keyspan usa-19hs usb/serial adapter. I have never had any problems with updates or arc.
post #14259 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I do not know if there have been any last minute changes between D2 V1.32b and V1.33 other than the version number. I suspect not, but since V1.33 is now the "official" release, I'd suggest you upgrade to it and get it out of the way.

The D2 manual says that when using ARC the "1 sub" setting is to be used whether or not you have more than 1 sub. This makes sense as all the 2 sub setting does is modify the volume at which the Setup / Speaker Calibration tones are sent out to make it easier for the user to use the same "noise level" despite the extra sub driver. ARC doesn't need that. The subwoofer volume trim levels it uploads also assume the "1 sub" setting. Since the D2 sends exactly the same signal to both subs (i.e., no separate controls for the second sub) you lose nothing by doing it this way. Both subs are driven (at the same time) when you do the sweeps because the 2 sub outputs of the D2 invariably carry the same signal (which includes the ARC test sweeps). I.e., ARC corrects for the pair of them as if they were one combined subwoofer.
--Bob

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying I should set my speaker configuration to '1 sub' even though I have my 2 subs connected to the rca 'sub1' and 'sub 2' outputs on the rear panel of the D2? They are not Y'ed out of 'sub 1'.
I guess I should read the D2 ARC instructions again, but I don't remember seeing anything about in the instructions I recieved.
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #14260 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

OK.
I updated to v1.33. I'm not sure it did anything from v1.32b except change the v number on the display, but it was painless.
I then reloaded my ARC settings, and again it set the D2 to 1 sub. I left it there and watched a movie on Dish and both subs turned on. The subs are set to 'auto', so they won't turn on unless they receive a signal, so apparently even though its set to '1 sub' a signal is being sent thru both sub connections.
I reread my D2 v1.3x manual and saw nothing in the ARC section about '1sub'. There must be an updated manual I can't find on the Anthem website.
Since my wife is in bed I will wait to do some critical listening to test the sub response. She gets a little testy when I wake her up on a work day.
I'm also waitng for my new toy, an Ayre cx-7e cdp, to test out the music configuration settings. I did watch 'Kill Bill' last night after putting in the new ARC settings (but setting to 2 subs) and it was exellent. Some of the effects were coming directly from the side, which may not seem like a big deal, but all my speakers are on the rear wall. There was a holographic effect I had never noticed before. The sounds that were coming from the side matched the action on the screen as far as position. Very cool.
I appreciate the D2 much more now than I did when I got it a few years ago. There aren't many things I can say that about. Maybe my wife, but don't tell her I said so.
Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #14261 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying I should set my speaker configuration to '1 sub' even though I have my 2 subs connected to the rca 'sub1' and 'sub 2' outputs on the rear panel of the D2? They are not Y'ed out of 'sub 1'.
I guess I should read the D2 ARC instructions again, but I don't remember seeing anything about in the instructions I recieved.
Tom

See Section 3.3, page 25, of the updated V1.3x Operating Manual:

http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/HTML/P...ual/D2_OM.html

To wit: If you are using ARC with a subwoofer, use the "1 Sub" setting even if you have 2 (or more) subs.

The 4 sub outputs of the Anthem (2 RCA jacks and 2 XLR jacks) all carry the identical signal regardless of the 1 sub or 2 subs setting -- you don't need any Y-splitter. (EXCEPTION: The XLR jacks follow the XLR standard, which means they are 6dB higher in volume than the RCA jacks -- see Section 2.2 of the manual. Usually this is automatically compensated at the XLR input of the subwoofer.)

The "2 subs" setting only has the effect of altering the calibration tone sent to the subwoofers when you perform the Setup / Level Calibration test tones. I.e., this is just a convenience setting for the user doing manual setup. ARC doesn't need that.

When you Upload ARC results that include a subwoofer, it resets the setting to 1 Sub to match the calibration levels it is also uploading. So an ARC Upload sets things up properly for you. But if you then go in and change the setting back to 2 subs, and then run the Level Calibration tones for a manual double check, the subwoofer level ARC uploaded will measure wrong.

So just leave things at the "1 sub" setting ARC applies when you Upload the ARC results.
--Bob

post #14262 of 43405 Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bob,
I see it now. I was looking in the wrong section. I was hoping I wouldn't have to re-read the whole manual to find any changes.
Tom

post #14263 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine ball View Post

Bob,
I couldn't agree more. We could meet at Hank's but we'd have to sit in the dark.

Seriously it is a testament to this technology that it has sustained this incredible level of continuing interest and involvement from such a worldwide diverse group. Although, there have been significant improvements in other 'competing technologies' in the last year.....they are still playing catch-up to the anthems and NONE of them have demonstrated the ongoing suite of improvements to the existing box (D2) nor are they even capable. I offer ARC as the prime example. There have been more improvements to ARC since its release to better the product than any other integrated or stand alone device on the market. What a phenomenal accomplishment!

So yes Bob, I'm up for some sort of celebration at 15,000. Perhaps the fall conference in Denver???

Peter

I feel I have to get my 2 cents in here as well. I invested 'mucho dinero' in a high end suround processor several years ago that was supposed to be fully upgradeable (like a computer chassis) where new cards could be added and old ones replaced in order to keep up with the latest changes in the industry. The original purchase price was more than twice the current price of the D2. A few years later, I had it upgraded to 'level II' at a substantial cost as well. The unit certainly had very good sound quality for analog and standard DD and DTS, but virtually no increased video capability. They then released version III, and I was considering that upgrade as well, but again no improvements to the video side and the cost was again, quite substantial. I put off the level III upgrade for a couple of years, and it was then that I discovered the Anthem D1 and suggested that a friend cosider it for his theater. He agreed and we were both very impressed with the sound quality and its versatility.

A few months later, Anthem released the first D2 and I had to have one! It was not a decision to be taken lightly due to the investment I already had in the previous processor. I checked with the company to see what, if any, improvements were coming, especially on the video side and they were so far behind current technology with no clear path to catch up.

So....the old processor is now collecting dust on a closet shelf and I have been using the D2 for over a year and could not be more pleased. Sure, we have all had some issues with new FW and feature releases but my feeling is that by getting the updatess to everyone as soon as possible, Anthem is actually able to move ahead much more quickly than if they just relied on their own internal testing, waiting to release a 'perfect' product or update. There are just too many combinations of components and configurations in use. Even if Anthem wanted to, there is no way they could ever possibly test all combinations. So we end up seeing some glitches, even in those for general public release. I am just so pleased that there are so many hard working customers that are willing to take the time to keep us informed (I mean you Bob P.). When you take all of this into consideration, the Anthem D2 has to be the greatest AV product ever and I just wanted to thank Anthem and all the supporters on this forum for their contributions and assistance. This whole project of bringing the D2 to market, and constantly improving it is a wonderful example of team work and cooperation between a manufacturer and their customers. When we all work together and show a little patience and understanding of the difficulties and complexities involved with the D2, we get very positive results. I will get off my soap box now but I had to let everyone know how I felt and how much I appreciate everyones contributions to making the D2 what it is today. The pleasure my feinds, family and I receive from the great Video and Audio we experience with the D2 (and my Signature Paradigms)......PRICELESS!!!!

PS, if anything gets setup for Denver - I would love to be a part of it.

John Dixon
post #14264 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 AM
3no

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post

So....the old processor is now collecting dust on a closet shelf ...

John- Try selling it on Audiogon. Even if you don't need the money, it feels better to get something for it rather than have it sitting around as a reminder. I change theater components on a regular basis and have used audiogon to sell the outgoing piece.

Now that I mention it, it's time for a new projector, if something really impressive comes out after CES.
post #14265 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

I'm getting more details from Nick at Anthem, but I've got some preliminary results as regards the YCbCr 4:2:2 capabilities of the AVM-50 and D2:

Apparently the Anthems support HDMI YCbCr 4:2:2 input or output at either 8 bits per component (16 bits per pixel) or 12 bits per component (24 bits per pixel).

The default HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4 is, of course, always 8 bits per component (24 bits per pixel).

See the Data Format posts in the collection of links in the first post of this thread for further explanation of the differences and why you might want to experiment with YCbCr 4:2:2 input or output.
--Bob

post #14266 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM

a short thank-you for the postings related to windows software. i think i'll go with xp, as there seems to be fewer reported issues - this from the gent who sold the d2 / p5 to me.
and, yes, i have the keyspan adapter.
my 'arc' is due in next wed., and then the fun truly begins. (ARC comes in - is that like saying my ship is coming in?!)
walt
post #14267 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

--Bob

I *HAVE* successfully used Bootcamp, Windows XP, and the Keyspan USA-19HS USB adapter from my MacBook Pro, to both upload the latest D2 firmware, and to upload ARC parameters to my D2 (using the latest 1.2.2 of ARC). Everything looks and sounds wonderful.

Note that previously (prior to 1.2.2 of ARC) I had problems with ARC parameter upload from my Mac, and was instead forced to use an ancient Windows 2000 laptop with a serial port. So the latest ARC software has now made it "safe" for me to use my Mac.

- Dave
post #14268 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Edited for failure to properly read post.

Any new information on the ..."480i/60 to 1080p/24 and 1080i/60 to 1080p/24 conversions when viewing "film-based" content"?
post #14269 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bob,

My XA2 at 1080p/24 is showing 4:2:2 in the input status of the gennum. The ps3 showing 4:4:4. However if I change the video output in the anthem to either of those settings, picture is either pink or granular. Only works on my pj with studio RGB out no matter what comes in.

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #14270 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM

OKAY! I just got my Klipsch THX Ultra 2 system, and I have only hooked up the front three speakers, which are sitting on the carpetted floor, and they sound just ok so far. I am not floored yet. Once I get the system setup and all the speakers inplace I will let you guys know how it sounds. I have heard great things from this speaker system but as of now I cant say anything over the top but we will see. I will have it setup and use arc and report what I get.
post #14271 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM

[quote=Kal Rubinson;14105679][quote=seismo;14105312]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Not for me. Got 100Hz consistently.

Received my ARC kit this week for my D1, upgraded to 1.33 and Arc 1.2.2 My sub crossover is 70Hz same as it was with Arc 1.2.1 and 1.31, Paradigm Studio Ref v.2 speakers & Bryston Power

Loving the results of the Arc Calibration.

--
Korey
post #14272 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
[quote=Korey;14120230][quote=Kal Rubinson;14105679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seismo View Post

Received my ARC kit this week for my D1, upgraded to 1.33 and Arc 1.2.2 My sub crossover is 70Hz same as it was with Arc 1.2.1 and 1.31, Paradigm Studio Ref v.2 speakers & Bryston Power

Well, I guess we've proved that there isn't a glitch that fixes the number.

Quote:

Loving the results or the Arc Calibration.

Me, too.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #14273 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Me, too.

Try to contain yourself, Kal.

Seriously, glad you like it.
Will we be seeing a review or perhaps a comparo with Audyssey in the future?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #14274 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Will we be seeing a review or perhaps a comparo with Audyssey in the future?

Both, in good time.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #14275 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 PM

[quote=Kal Rubinson;14120258][quote=Korey;14120230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Well, I guess we've proved that there isn't a glitch that fixes the number.

Me, too.

[quote=Korey;14120230][quote=Kal Rubinson;14105679]
Quote:

Well I am glad to hear that.

The odd thing is that I am also using Paradigm studio (Ref v.3) all around and a servo-15 sub. I tried ARC v1.2.2 (D2 v1.31c) last night with the same results (sub xover=120Hz.).
post #14276 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:

As NETROAMER implies, the most likely thing that's going on is that you need to update the firmware in your D2. HDMI from the Tivo boxes gave the Anthems fits in some versions of the firmware.

You can find your current firmware version by pressing Select once on the remote. The firmware version will come up at the end of the first line of text in the Front Panel display.

The latest "official" version of the D2 firmware is V1.33, available for download from the Anthem public download page:

http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/HTML/P...e/Upgrade.html

When you run the installer application, it will display a bunch of instructions. You will likely have to exit the installer to do some of the steps (such as making sure you have no powered HDMI connections, and Reloading Factory Defaults), then run the installer application again when you are ready to perform the install.
--Bob

Thanks for the help. The version is 1.31. Is that a version where the Tivo had HDMI issues?
post #14277 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Bob,

My XA2 at 1080p/24 is showing 4:2:2 in the input status of the gennum. The ps3 showing 4:4:4. However if I change the video output in the anthem to either of those settings, picture is either pink or granular. Only works on my pj with studio RGB out no matter what comes in.

John

Do you have a DVI projector? DVI displays will normally insist upon RGB.

By the way, there is no problem with YCbCr in (either format) and RGB out. The Anthem takes care of the conversion just fine.

Have you tried setting your XA2 to YCbCr 4:4:4 output to the Anthem for comparison?
--Bob

post #14278 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwuss View Post

Thanks for the help. The version is 1.31. Is that a version where the Tivo had HDMI issues?

Actually that version is suppose to work well with the Tivo. You might want to give Anthem tech support a call and see if they have any additional information. Have the version and firmware level of your Tivo handy when you call as well.
--Bob

post #14279 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwhitley View Post

Edited for failure to properly read post.

Any new information on the ..."480i/60 to 1080p/24 and 1080i/60 to 1080p/24 conversions when viewing "film-based" content"?

Not yet. Stay tuned....
--Bob

post #14280 of 43405 Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM
gdc

Quote:

The odd thing is that I am also using Paradigm studio (Ref v.3) all around and a servo-15 sub. I tried ARC v1.2.2 (D2 v1.31c) last night with the same results (sub xover=120Hz.).

This may be more of a reflection (no pun intended - OK, maybe a little bit ) on your room than your speakers.

Remember that the ARC-1 is measuring how your speakers sound in a specific room and at a specific location in that room.

I think most people don't have any idea how much their room is part of their listening experience. I've found some thing I MUST take care of in my theater due to looking at the ARC results. More bass trapping and dealing with some bad slapback modes in the 3.5 KHz region.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page