post #14281 of 43243 Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post

I feel I have to get my 2 cents in here as well. I invested 'mucho dinero' in a high end suround processor several years ago that was supposed to be fully upgradeable (like a computer chassis) where new cards could be added and old ones replaced in order to keep up with the latest changes in the industry. The original purchase price was more than twice the current price of the D2. A few years later, I had it upgraded to 'level II' at a substantial cost as well. The unit certainly had very good sound quality for analog and standard DD and DTS, but virtually no increased video capability. They then released version III, and I was considering that upgrade as well, but again no improvements to the video side and the cost was again, quite substantial. I put off the level III upgrade for a couple of years, and it was then that I discovered the Anthem D1 and suggested that a friend cosider it for his theater. He agreed and we were both very impressed with the sound quality and its versatility.

A few months later, Anthem released the first D2 and I had to have one! It was not a decision to be taken lightly due to the investment I already had in the previous processor. I checked with the company to see what, if any, improvements were coming, especially on the video side and they were so far behind current technology with no clear path to catch up.

So....the old processor is now collecting dust on a closet shelf and I have been using the D2 for over a year and could not be more pleased. Sure, we have all had some issues with new FW and feature releases but my feeling is that by getting the updatess to everyone as soon as possible, Anthem is actually able to move ahead much more quickly than if they just relied on their own internal testing, waiting to release a 'perfect' product or update. There are just too many combinations of components and configurations in use. Even if Anthem wanted to, there is no way they could ever possibly test all combinations. So we end up seeing some glitches, even in those for general public release. I am just so pleased that there are so many hard working customers that are willing to take the time to keep us informed (I mean you Bob P.). When you take all of this into consideration, the Anthem D2 has to be the greatest AV product ever and I just wanted to thank Anthem and all the supporters on this forum for their contributions and assistance. This whole project of bringing the D2 to market, and constantly improving it is a wonderful example of team work and cooperation between a manufacturer and their customers. When we all work together and show a little patience and understanding of the difficulties and complexities involved with the D2, we get very positive results. I will get off my soap box now but I had to let everyone know how I felt and how much I appreciate everyones contributions to making the D2 what it is today. The pleasure my feinds, family and I receive from the great Video and Audio we experience with the D2 (and my Signature Paradigms)......PRICELESS!!!!

PS, if anything gets setup for Denver - I would love to be a part of it.

John
Just so you do not feel alone. I too have a C********* sitting in a box collecting dust.
The first indication something was wrong was the outboard 6 channel "adapter". Where were the new plugin circuit boards for their upgrades ?
Audio wise great sounding but a bad implementation.
I could not believe that a company who was ahead in audio technology suddenly could not grasp the direction the market was going and develop the technology to pursue it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14282 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Do you have a DVI projector? DVI displays will normally insist upon RGB.

By the way, there is no problem with YCbCr in (either format) and RGB out. The Anthem takes care of the conversion just fine.

Have you tried setting your XA2 to YCbCr 4:4:4 output to the Anthem for comparison?
--Bob

Will try this afternoon. I presume you are suggesting I set the Anthem for 444 in the video output setup menu since the XA2 has no option for this. My pj has a DVI in so I use an HDMI - DVI adaptor

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #14283 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Both, in good time.

Anxious to read that!
post #14284 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Will try this afternoon. I presume you are suggesting I set the Anthem for 444 in the video output setup menu since the XA2 has no option for this. My pj has a DVI in so I use an HDMI - DVI adaptor

No, the setting would have to be made on the input side -- i.e., in the XA2. The output settings from the Anthem won't have any effect on what it is seeing as input.

I'm surprised the XA2 has no setting to send out YCbCr 4:4:4 to the Anthem, since that is the default format for HDMI to HDMI connections (even when YCbCr 4:2:2 might actually work better).

---------------------------

And again, since your projector uses a DVI input it is quite normal for the projector to want RGB format to be sent to it from the Anthem.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14285 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Liked: 10
jayray

I had some of these problems with other equipment using the HDMI-DVI adaptor. Then I got a decent HDMI-DVI cable which served two purposes. First, the heavy adptor was no longer supported by the HDMI port and the connections were better and I got a better picture. You will read in the Anthem manual "do not use a HDMI-DVI adaptor..."

This suggestion might not improve your picture but is will probably 'support' your HDMI port.
post #14286 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejeff View Post

jayray

I had some of these problems with other equipment using the HDMI-DVI adaptor. Then I got a decent HDMI-DVI cable which served two purposes. First, the heavy adptor was no longer supported by the HDMI port and the connections were better and I got a better picture. You will read in the Anthem manual "do not use a HDMI-DVI adaptor..."

This suggestion might not improve your picture but is will probably 'support' your HDMI port.

I agree that "HDMI/DVI adapters" are a bad idea. In addition to putting extra "lever arm" mechanical strain on the socket, there's a whole new connection point between the cable and one side of the adapter, which in and of itself will add signal degradation.

When connecting the Anthem to a DVI source or display device, you really should do it ONLY with an HDMI to DVI cable of the right length and suitable quality (e.g., Blue Jeans cable).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14287 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Definitive YCbCr 4:4:4 vs. YCbCr 4:2:2 vs. RGB Data Format Sizing Info from Anthem!

The following information has been confirmed with Anthem for the AVM-50 and Statement D2:

HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4 input or output is always 8 bits per component (24 bits per pixel).

HDMI RGB (Studio or Extended) input or output is always 8 bits per component (24 bits per pixel).

HDMI YCbCr 4:2:2 input or output can be either 8 bits per component (16 bits per pixel) or 12 bits per component (24 bits per pixel) -- according to the max allowed by the device at the other end of the cable -- but with the horizontal color resolution halved. Like this: YCb, YCr, YCb, YCr, etc.

NOTE: HDMI YCbCr 4:2:2 at 10 bits per component (20 bits per pixel) is not supported. Nor is "Deep Color" HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4 (i.e., more than 8 bits per component / 24 bits per pixel).

Any of the above input HDMI YCbCr streams is accepted by the Gennum VXP video processor chip at the full 8 or 12 bits per component (as described above) but is immediately converted to 10 bits per component RGB (30 bits per pixel) - using high precision color conversion matrices - prior to other internal processing inside the VXP.

"High precision color conversion matrices", here, means that the constants and math used in the conversion are actually higher resolution than the data stream (in or out) so that the color conversion process itself introduces no quality degradation.

An input HDMI RGB stream is accepted by the VXP at 8 bits per component and is extended to 10 bits per component (30 bits per pixel) prior to its internal processing.

The VXP does all the rest of its internal processing (de-interlacing, scaling, gamma correction, etc.) using 10 bits per component (30 bits per pixel) RGB.

If 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 is to be used for output, the VXP, at the end of its processing, converts its results to 12 bit per component (24 bits per pixel) using high precision color conversion matrices.

If 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 is to be used for output, the VXP, at the end of its processing, converts its results to 8 bit per component (16 bits per pixel) using high precision color conversion matrices.

If YCbCr 4:4:4 output is to be used the VXP converts its results to 8 bits per component (24 bits per pixel) -- again using high precision color conversion matrices.

Finally, if RGB output is to be used the VXP rounds its results to 8 bits per component (24 bits per pixel).

---------------------------------------------------

Again, see the links collected in the first post of this thread (Technology and Terminology / Data Format section) for a more detailed explanation of the differences between these data formats and why you might want to experiment with 12 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 data format when using source or display devices that allow it.
--Bob

post #14288 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

LEVESQUE, I suggest that post (^^^) be added to the links in the Data Format section in the first post.
--Bob

post #14289 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

I am having trouble with my Denon 3800 Blu-ray outputing 1080p through the anthem to my projector. I can only get 720p/1080i through the Anthem. When I connect the 3800 direclty to my projector everything is fine and I get 1080p. So, I've pinned the problem down to the Anthem. Anyone have any suggestions?
post #14290 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I agree that "HDMI/DVI adapters" are a bad idea. In addition to putting extra "lever arm" mechanical strain on the socket, there's a whole new connection point between the cable and one side of the adapter, which in and of itself will add signal degradation.

When connecting the Anthem to a DVI source or display device, you really should do it ONLY with an HDMI to DVI cable of the right length and suitable quality (e.g., Blue Jeans cable).
--Bob

I am at 3yrs with my present pj. Didn't want to buy another cable, 40 ft. is the length, due to the fact my next one will have hdmi connections. Picture still looks very good according to my calibrator Michael TLV

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #14291 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyorder1 View Post

I am having trouble with my Denon 3800 Blu-ray outputing 1080p through the anthem to my projector. I can only get 720p/1080i through the Anthem. When I connect the 3800 direclty to my projector everything is fine and I get 1080p. So, I've pinned the problem down to the Anthem. Anyone have any suggestions?

What version of firmware are you running in the Anthem, and do you have HDMI cables that are tested to handle 1080p video?

You can see the version number of the Anthem by pressing Select once on its remote. The version number will come up at the end of the first line of info in the Front Panel display. The most recent firmware release is V1.33.

Next, can you get the Anthem to output 1080p to your projector when displaying the Anthem's internally generated test patterns (Video Source Adjust / Patterns menu)? If not, then the problem is in your Setup / Video Output configuration in the Anthem as those test patterns are independent of any input source.

If you CAN get the test patterns to display at 1080p in your projector, then the problem is on the input side of things in the Anthem.

Are you trying to send 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 from the Denon to the Anthem? To get 1080p/60 you must use HDMI cable (not Component video cable). Are you trying to send 1080p/24 to your projector from the Anthem?

This Denon has a known problem that it sends out an incorrect 1080p/24 video signal. This is not an issue for displays and projectors, but is a big problem for video processors. I'm pretty sure by now that there's been a firmware fix from Denon for it to correct that, but your unit may not have that applied yet. Try 1080p/60 instead for now.

If you have Video Source Adjust / Output / Frame Lock = AUTO set for the Denon input in the Anthem, try turning that OFF.

These are the basics to get us started. Again, the first step is to see if the output side of the Anthem is working at 1080p to your projector (using the Anthem's internal test patterns). That will tell you whether the issue you need to fix is on the input or output side of the Anthem.
--Bob

post #14292 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Marantz S3 projector that is over 4 years old. DVI out. So, used a dvi adaptor on both ends with hdmi cable. Now with the D2, I only have the adaptor on the projector. New hdmi 1080p projector at the end of year. Maybe another Marantz. But, the picture with the D2 is still super wonderful.
post #14293 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:

What version of firmware are you running in the Anthem, and do you have HDMI cables that are tested to handle 1080p video?

You can see the version number of the Anthem by pressing Select once on its remote. The version number will come up at the end of the first line of info in the Front Panel display. The most recent firmware release is V1.33.

Next, can you get the Anthem to output 1080p to your projector when displaying the Anthem's internally generated test patterns (Video Source Adjust / Patterns menu)? If not, then the problem is in your Setup / Video Output configuration in the Anthem as those test patterns are independent of any input source.

If you CAN get the test patterns to display at 1080p in your projector, then the problem is on the input side of things in the Anthem.

Are you trying to send 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 from the Denon to the Anthem? To get 1080p/60 you must use HDMI cable (not Component video cable). Are you trying to send 1080p/24 to your projector from the Anthem?

This Denon has a known problem that it sends out an incorrect 1080p/24 video signal. This is not an issue for displays and projectors, but is a big problem for video processors. I'm pretty sure by now that there's been a firmware fix from Denon for it to correct that, but your unit may not have that applied yet. Try 1080p/60 instead for now.

If you have Video Source Adjust / Output / Frame Lock = AUTO set for the Denon input in the Anthem, try turning that OFF.

These are the basics to get us started. Again, the first step is to see if the output side of the Anthem is working at 1080p to your projector (using the Anthem's internal test patterns). That will tell you whether the issue you need to fix is on the input or output side of the Anthem.
--Bob

I have been running 1080p from the ps3 for over a year with no problems.

The firmware I have on the Anthem is the 1.31. The Denon blu-ray is brand new and it will display p60 when directly connected to the projector but will not display when the blu-ray goes through the Anthem.

The projector is the Ruby and I'm using the Anthem to send 48p to the projector through DVI. The problem I'm running into is when I try to send 1080p60 through the Anthem I find that nothing happens with the HDMI or DVI cables but the 1080p48 works?? I'm totally puzzled. Any thoughts?
post #14294 of 43243 Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyorder1 View Post

I have been running 1080p from the ps3 for over a year with no problems.

The firmware I have on the Anthem is the 1.31. The Denon blu-ray is brand new and it will display p60 when directly connected to the projector but will not display when the blu-ray goes through the Anthem.

The projector is the Ruby and I'm using the Anthem to send 48p to the projector through DVI. The problem I'm running into is when I try to send 1080p60 through the Anthem I find that nothing happens with the HDMI or DVI cables but the 1080p48 works?? I'm totally puzzled. Any thoughts?

Yes, I think you've been bitten by this: /60 to /24 or /48 conversion is not working in the Anthem.

Try sending 1080p/24 to the Anthem (when playing normal, film-based Blu-Ray movies) and then you should be able to output 1080p/48 to your projector (presuming your Denon has that firmware fix I mentioned).

You may need to set up a second Video Output configuration in the Anthem, or use Frame Lock, when playing 1080i/60 Blu-Ray discs.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do. We have other Ruby owners on this thread who may be able to help here.
--Bob

post #14295 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 04:10 AM

Hi all,
I just got my ARC-1 and can't upload the settings. I keep getting an error message stating that the sub needs to be set at -21 I've lowered the sub's amp volume down all the way and it does't seem to matter. The error message states because of this it couldn't load the messured settings - yet, when I go into speaker cal. I find the volume levels have been altered from my original setting; but there is no mention of arc in any of the menus or sub-menus, or on the pannel display.

The D2 unit was upgraded to v1.22 without a hitch, and my sub is an Axiom EP600
HELP!
Thanks.
Scott
post #14296 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On the D2 you have to be on at least version 1.31. The Anthem site has 1.33 on it now. Then you will see room correction on each source menu.
post #14297 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 04:27 AM

I'm sorry, I mean to say I had v1.22 but did the upgrade to 1.33 It loaded fine but I'm still getting the error message stating the sub needs to be set to -21, and that the arc setting can't be uploaded.
-Scott
post #14298 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

ARC apparently zeroes out your speaker calibration settings prior to measurement and then restores them when the measurements are completed. If something fails during the measurements I don't believe this restore still happens.

[Of course when you do an Upload of ARC results, your speaker calibration settings are replaced with the ones ARC has calculated.]

If you have an up to date set of Saved User Settings or Saved Installer Settings you can reload your settings from either of those memories.

The only visible sign that ARC results have been uploaded is the adjusted cross over and speaker calibration values in your Setup menu. The Setup / Source Setup / Room EQ = ON/OFF setting is how you turn ARC processing on or off for any give input source. You need to manually turn that on (for EACH source input!) after the first ARC Upload to start using ARC's newly Uploaded results.

------------------------------------------

The speaker level calibration settings in the D2 have a limited range. You need to be sure ARC can get all of your speakers within this range.

Try this (you will need a Radio Shack SPL (sound pressure level) meter -- inexpensive and essential -- do not trust to doing this just by ear):

* Download and install D2 V1.33 firmware into the D2 -- follow the install instructions carefully. Download and install ARC V1.2.2 on your computer. Do not do ARC measurements yet. Both of these are on Anthem's public software download page for the D2.

* Set the SPL meter to Slow Response and "C" weighting.

* Go into Setup / Level Calibration in the D2.

* Set the level setting for the front left speaker to 0dB

* Set the level settings for the subwoofer (both Movie and Music) to 0dB

* In the first line of the menu, change the setting from OFF to Manual and then scroll down one line to the Noise Level setting.

* Using your SPL meter set pointing straight up at your center listening position (mic position #1 as used in ARC measurements), adjust the Noise Level setting up or down until the test noise now coming out of the front left speaker measures, roughly, 75dB.

* Leave the Noise Level at that setting. Next scroll to either of the subwoofer level setting lines -- which you set to 0dB above. LEAVE THEM at 0dB, but now use the volume control BUILT INTO YOUR SUBWOOFER to adjust its output, as measured by the SPL meter (same measurement location), to roughly 75dB.

* Finally, scroll to each of the other speaker level trim lines in turn and adjust their level trim up or down until each of them measures roughly 75dB -- all as measured from that same, single location of the SPL meter. While doing this, do NOT alter the Noise Level setting or subwoofer internal volume setting you have just made. As a check, the result for the Front Left speaker should remain 0dB as your Noise Level setting was previously set using the Front Left speaker (at 0dB) as the test speaker, so it needs no additional trim.

* You don't have to be super precise in doing this. You are just making sure all the speakers can be set to roughly 75dB this way. Now change the first line to OFF to turn the noise sound off and look at your level setting results. The Noise Level should still be as you set it in the first steps above. The trim levels for the Front Left speaker and for the subwoofer should still be 0dB because of how you were instructed to set things up. The levels for your OTHER speakers will likely be up or down a bit from 0dB, but none of them should be pegged at the +/- 10dB limit.

--------------------------------------

By doing this you've now insured that your subwoofer's internal volume control setting is set to a range that will allow ARC to balance all the speakers within the limits of the volume trim controls it has in the D2.

In addition, ARC uses the Noise Level setting you just made to determine the volume of its test sweep tones, and you have now set that Noise Level to produce a good volume for those test sweep tones.

Jot down the settings you now have in your Setup / Level Calibration menu just in case something goes wrong in the ARC stuff and you need to manually re-enter them. You can also do a Save User Settings and/or Save Installer Settings to get them saved into those memories.

-----------------------------------------

Now run your ARC measurements. Follow the instructions in section 3.15 of the new D2 V1.3x Operating Manual (available for download from the Anthem D2 site).

Note in particular the instructions on microphone positioning for the ARC measurements. For example, placing the mic too close to a wall in any of its positions will screw up bass measurements.

I suggest you run ARC in "advanced" mode so that you can see the charts it displays of the measurement results and view the Targets window showing the settings it selects after doing those measurments.

In "advanced" mode you will select each of the 3 phases in turn (Measurement, Calculate, Upload) so that you don't do the next one until you are ready.

The speaker volume trim levels that ARC Uploads may differ a bit from the ones you set using the SPL meter, but they should be CLOSE to those manually determined settings.

Does ARC *STILL* complain about your subwoofer's voluime? If so, screen capture ARC's Measurement charts and post them here. Folks may have some suggestions for you based on that. You may also need to call Anthem tech support for advice. You have proven, from the Level Calibration stuff you did above, that your subwoofer's internal volume setting is in the correct range for calibration, so something is either screwed up in the way you are making the ARC measurements or you have found a new bug in ARC.

Again, do this with D2 V1.33 installed and using V1.2.2 of the ARC application as both of these have improvements over the older versions and they are intended to be used together as a set.
--Bob

post #14299 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 11:08 AM

Bob,
Thanks for the lengthy answer. The only problem is that everything was zeroed out when I did the ARC. Since I had to install the V1.33 for the D2 I did that first and was told by Anthem to set the D2 at defult settings (I did wrote my settings down). So when it came time to do the ARC the D2 was already at default. I also tried to lower the sub volume control but when I got down to the lowest point I noticed that the ARC was over-riding it and putting out it's own volume level - it didn't matter what the volume level was on the sub. The next thing I tried was changing the sub's internal cut off from none to a lower one to lessen the amount of high pitched mid-bass from being picked up by the mic. I set it down to a cut off of 60 and found that the ARC complaint went up from - 21 to -17.
With all this does this mean I'm dealing with a bug? I'm willing to do what you posted but I just want to know if there is a real shot it might work since I have to bring down my PC (desktop) from upstairs and truthfully this whole thing has been a major pain in the ass.
(I was told by Anthem to purchase a cable for ARC and what kind. Drove 20 mins (yikes, gas prices here in NY, then found the same cable was included in the kit, but not listed as such. The cable wasn't what I needed with my laptop and I didn't want to order the proper one for $40 so I just used my PC. This isn't fun)
Bob, why would the ARC override the subs internal volume setting to play the test signal?
- Scott
post #14300 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post

Bob,
Thanks for the lengthy answer. The only problem is that everything was zeroed out when I did the ARC. Since I had to install the V1.33 for the D2 I did that first and was told by Anthem to set the D2 at defult settings (I did wrote my settings down). So when it came time to do the ARC the D2 was already at default. I also tried to lower the sub volume control but when I got down to the lowest point I noticed that the ARC was over-riding it and putting out it's own volume level - it didn't matter what the volume level was on the sub. The next thing I tried was changing the sub's internal cut off from none to a lower one to lessen the amount of high pitched mid-bass from being picked up by the mic. I set it down to a cut off of 60 and found that the ARC complaint went up from - 21 to -17.
With all this does this mean I'm dealing with a bug? I'm willing to do what you posted but I just want to know if there is a real shot it might work since I have to bring down my PC (desktop) from upstairs and truthfully this whole thing has been a major pain in the ass.
(I was told by Anthem to purchase a cable for ARC and what kind. Drove 20 mins (yikes, gas prices here in NY, then found the same cable was included in the kit, but not listed as such. The cable wasn't what I needed with my laptop and I didn't want to order the proper one for $40 so I just used my PC. This isn't fun)
Bob, why would the ARC override the subs internal volume setting to play the test signal?
- Scott

Scott,
The volume setting I'm talking about is a volume control on your subwoofer itself, *NOT* the one in the D2 menus.

The volume settings in the D2 menus adjust the output of the D2. ARC has to zero them out prior to doing its measurements to get unbiased measurements. Then it calculates what they SHOULD be set to and Uploads the new volume settings as part of Uploading the ARC results.

However those volume trim settings have a range limit of +/- 10dB. If the *INTERNAL* volume control in your subwoofer is set incorrectly, there won't be enough adjustment range in the D2 menu for ARC to bring the subwoofer into balance with the rest of your speakers.

SILLLY EXAMPLE TO GET THE POINT ACROSS: If you unplug your subwoofer, there is no setting ARC can make in the D2 menus to get the volume right from your subwoofer.

LESS SILLY EXAMPLE: If the internal volume control inside your subwoofer is set too high, the -10dB limit on the adjustment inside the D2 won't give ARC enough range to bring the subwoofer volume back down to where it needs to be.

The procedure I set down for you is a way to find the correct *INTERNAL* volume control setting *INSIDE* your subwoofer. With that set, ARC will do its measurements with the Sub output volume in the D2 set to 0 dB (so the measurements aren't biased by any possibly incorrect volume trim settings you have manually set before running ARC) and will then Upload a corrected D2 Sub output volume based on what it measures.

The only setting ARC depends on in that Setup / Level Calibration menu is the "Noise Level" setting, which ARC uses to produce the correct output volume for its test sweep tones. But only you can adjust the volume knob on the subwoofer itself. And you have to do that before running ARC to make sure your subwoofer's output is within the range ARC can correct.
--Bob

post #14301 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 PM

Bob,
Did everything you told me. During the uploading of the speaker levels the following error came up, same as before, but a lower number. This doesn't make sense the settings were low and the signals coming out during test were incredibily lower.
- Scott
LL
post #14302 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 PM

I just upgraded my AVM 30 to the AVM30-HD and I should receive it back next week (finally).

I have a really basic question about the HDMI inputs. Is there a way to select the input directly, or is the only way through cycling through each active input?

I have an Marantz 9200 so if there are pronto codes available I would appreciate it.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanx!- Mass
post #14303 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Bob,
After going through everything you said again, the error message turned up but this time stating the subwoofer level needed to be -21 here are screen grabs of the actual levels.
Maybe you can come up with something - or else it's tech support on Monday.
- Scott

LL
LL
post #14304 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

The first error message you posted -- the one about failure to upload the -19.5 setting, is a verification failure from ARC. That means it tried to make the setting during the Upload, and then verify that it had been made correctly, but couldn't do so. Usually this is because there is something flakey about your serial connection between the computer and the D2.

But the fact that it was trying to set it to -19.5 dB doesn't sound right to me in the first place. Given the procedure I set out for you, ARC should have been trying to set the level for the subwoofer to something near 0dB. I think you'll need to give Anthem tech support a call and see if they can come up with something.
--Bob

post #14305 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimo N View Post

I just upgraded my AVM 30 to the AVM30-HD and I should receive it back next week (finally).

I have a really basic question about the HDMI inputs. Is there a way to select the input directly, or is the only way through cycling through each active input?

I have an Marantz 9200 so if there are pronto codes available I would appreciate it.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanx!- Mass

See Appendix A of the manual. There are 3-key sequences you can program into your remote for directly selecting each of the source inputs.
--Bob

post #14306 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwright View Post

Now beginning to feel some apprehension about my upgrade to the D2 (ver 1.31) from the AVM50. The AVM50 worked flawlessly, and initially the D2 also worked flawlessly. The only change made was to swap out the 2 pieces of equipment.

New experiences with the D2:
** On 2 occasions starting the system the display had no video, the screen rapidly flashed green and magenta and on at least one of the occasions there were horizontal lines emanating from the right side of the display extending out approx 1/4 of the screen. This required several restarts of the D2 to display video properly.

** On many occasions (almost all) there is what I can best describe as a blinking issue where the video goes to black and immediately comes back. This is at random rates sometimes very quickly other times several minutes between and stops completely over time.

** Thinking I may have some HDMI cable or HDCP issues I switched the source and output to the component cables; at this time I discover that the video is ghosted this includes the D2 OSD.

Re-checked the new manual, don't believe I have missed anything.

Any ideas from others?

Just to close off this item as solved:
** A coule of additional problems rapidly developed, lost the OSD and could not get a s-video device(vcr) to output video thru the D2.

Talked with Anthem support, they requested I re-install 1.31 software. Did that and all problems went away except for the blinking to black. Somehow it must have gotten corrupted.

Started swapping out cables trying to resolve the blinking issue, and found the XBR3 has a bad HDMI socket. Changed to a different HDMI input and no more blinking, good thing it has 3 of them.

Lovin my D2 again.

Brian
post #14307 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Bob,
After going through everything you said again, the error message turned up but this time stating the subwoofer level needed to be -21 here are screen grabs of the actual levels.
Maybe you can come up with something - or else it's tech support on Monday.
- Scott

I do the exact thing that Bob laid out for you, and I don't have any problems. I have 1.33 and 1.2.2, and all is well. After I complete ARC, my settings are near 0db. Some or minus and some are plus; but, they are near 0db.
post #14308 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwright View Post

Lovin my D2 again.

Then you'll need a few of these!

--Bob

post #14309 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob,
Did everything you told me. During the uploading of the speaker levels the following error came up, same as before, but a lower number. This doesn't make sense the settings were low and the signals coming out during test were incredibily lower.
- Scott

I just want to be sure that you re-Measured and re-Calculated with ARC after adjusting the sub's own, internal volume the way I stated. And then double check that the results you were Uploading were in fact the ones in the file were you just did the new Measurement and Calculation.

It would be be annoying to discover that things are working fine right now except that you accidentally tried to Upload your previous file of ARC results instead of the new run.
--Bob

post #14310 of 43243 Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Bob,
I redid everything - when it was time to load the new settings it went fine until the final speaker settings, that's when the D2 shut down and error screen came up (same as all the other times) Along with that error message a prior message stated that no changes were made due to.... then the error screen i sent you pops up.
This is VERY ANNOYING. I know the cable that came with the unit is working since the upgrade for the D2 went fine. I'm using my PC so I know it's not a slow laptop or battery issue. I disconnected the HDMI cables from the D2. I even made sure my Virus scan was off. ( also did it with it on to see if that would cause an issue)
- Scott

BTW- I deleted the previous ARC saved settings on my PC with every new so I wouldn't make the mistake of re-loading old ones.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page