post #15451 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamar View Post

Is there anything about this that indicates it might be a problem with ARC? Or is it pretty clearly environment and/or subwoofer?

Looking at ARC measurement it looks like that your center channel has lost its medium speaker. Center channel is usually setup for voice and should be cover between ~1khz and ~6khz and you have a big dip at 2khz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15452 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anybody knows if the usb microphone use with the ARC system can be use for something else like a normal microphone. With application like the trueRTA or just to calibrate your pc speakers ?
post #15453 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

Does anybody knows if the usb microphone use with the ARC system can be use for something else like a normal microphone. With application like the trueRTA or just to calibrate your pc speakers ?

Usable but not useful. The calibration file that makes the microphone provide flat/reliable information is encrypted for use by ARC. Use of the mic with any other system will be unpredictable unless you can calibrate it against a standard.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15454 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Looking at ARC measurement it looks like that your center channel has lost its medium speaker. Center channel is usually setup for voice and should be cover between ~1khz and ~6khz and you have a big dip at 2khz.

Yes, I noticed the huge hole in the Center channel too. Am trying to look determine if it's a cable, a damaged speaker, or an installation issue. I recently put the theater back in after a year-long remodel, and noticed even before ARC that something sounded wrong with the center.
post #15455 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to watch a Blu-Ray movie in 1080/24p resolution through the Anthem D2. Here's the setup:

Panny BD-50 > D2 > Marantz 15S1 1080p projector all via HDMI

I have to set the DB-50's 24p Output to "On", which outputs 24p sources in 24p as they are.

My question is with the D2's output resolution. If I have this set to "auto" will it automatically switch to 1920x1080p/24 when I have a 24p disk, or do I need to go into the setup menu and change it to this resolution every time I want to watch a 24p film source disk as opposed to say a disk containing an HD TV show like "Lost", which is video and probably should be in 1920x1080p/60? Perhaps there is a quick way to switch between resolution settings using a pre-programmed output formats for the same source?

Also, if anyone is familiar with using projectors with the D2, do I also need to go into the projector's menu and change the resolution on it to 1920x1080p/24?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
post #15456 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by art4mad View Post

I'm trying to figure out how to watch a Blu-Ray movie in 1080/24p resolution through the Anthem D2. Here's the setup:

Panny BD-50 > D2 > Marantz 15S1 1080p projector all via HDMI

I have to set the DB-50's 24p Output to "On", which outputs 24p sources in 24p as they are.

My question is with the D2's output resolution. If I have this set to "auto" will it automatically switch to 1920x1080p/24 when I have a 24p disk, or do I need to go into the setup menu and change it to this resolution every time I want to watch a 24p film source disk as opposed to say a disk containing an HD TV show like "Lost", which is video and probably should be in 1920x1080p/60? Perhaps there is a quick way to switch between resolution settings using a pre-programmed output formats for the same source?

Also, if anyone is familiar with using projectors with the D2, do I also need to go into the projector's menu and change the resolution on it to 1920x1080p/24?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

No the "Auto" setting in the D2 Video Output configuration is not for changing its output frame rate.

You have two choices for getting /24 out of the D2. Most folks are using one of the separate Video Output configurations. So they have one Video Output set for 1080p/60 and another for 1080p/24. Then they set up two Sources in the D2, both from the player, but using the different Video Output configurations. They select the /24 source when they know they are playing /24 content -- to keep things judder free.

The /60 source will work when they are playing /24 or /60 content although when playing /24 content it will include judder.

The advantage of doing things this way is that the HDMI handshake goes a bit faster.

------------------------------

The alternative approach is to use the Frame Lock = Auto feature in Video Source Adjust / Output for that source. That will cause the frame rate of the Video Output to track that of the video currently coming in from that source. This is described in the manual.

------------------------------

Please note that the Anthem does not yet properly extract the /24 content from film-based input which has been raised to /60 by the telecine process.

So, for example, if you play a standard DVD (480i/60 input) and tell the D2 to produce 1080p/24 output that WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY at the moment, even if the DVD you are playing is film-based content. You will get an output video stream that stutters. You must use /60 output instead. Fixing this is "on the list" at Anthem but they haven't done it yet.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #15457 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Yes, do a remeasurment. Write protect by right clicking on the file, and checking off "Read only". This will prevent changes from occurring if you open the file up and fiddle with it, ie, do target changes or calculations.
John

To Write Protect a file in Windows, right-click on the file, select Properties from the pop-up menu that appears, click on the "Read Only" check box, and then click on Apply to make it so. Then click OK to dismiss the Properties box.

To Write Enable a file, do the same thing but clear the "Read Only" check box.
--Bob

post #15458 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. FRICANO View Post

Hello everyone,
If I re aim my surround speakers, NHT 2.5's, should I re-measure with ARC? These speakers are on brackets, mounted on the back wall behind the listening position about 26" above ear level at the tweeter, and 1' behind. They were firing at about 20 degrees to the side walls and I was going to move them to 45 degrees. Any suggestions?
Also Bob mentions that you should "Write Protect" ARC files for comparison purposes. How is this done? I am sure I will feel stupid after your response, but it is not "clicking" in my head. I am running Windows XP, SP2.
Thank you guys so much for all of the help you provide for this amazing piece of gear, D2 with ARC. John.

Yes if you re-position or re-aim your speakers you should re-Measure with ARC, just as if you make any other change that might reasonably be expected to impact the audio from the speakers -- such as adding curtains.

For Write Protecting files in Windows, see my post just above.
--Bob

post #15459 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

You can use it to record yourself singing I suppose.

As far as Windows is concerned it is just another USB microphone. It identifies itself to the USB system as an "ARC Microphone". As long as your audio input application is not picky about that ID, you can do anything you want to with it.

But Anthem also provides a special file which contains the carefully measured calibration details for that specific microphone. ARC uses that file to insure it is getting accurate readings from the microphone.

No other calibration tool will be able to use that file, so you will get the raw results from the microphone instead.
--Bob

post #15460 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwine View Post

Thanks Bob,

I have tried just about every option I can think of. Currently the Info screen under the "7" button the input and output the same 1920x1080i 59.??this is also the native res of my Sony xbr4 LCD.
I have tried component (from source to Anthem to TV) and it is much better but still considerable worse than going to the tv directly. I have now also tried Toshiba HD DVD player with the same results.
I have attached an image "direct" of what it looks like when I go straight to the tv and another image "Anthem" that goes through the Anthem. Ignore the lines running from top to bottom that is just a result of the picture--it is the wavy lines on the solidly colored wall in the background I am talking about.
I will try and get the rest of your questions answered. BTW, these wavy lines appear even if you take color saturation down to the point of it being black and white.

Going component from the source to the Anthem and then HDMI to the TV is also much better

Let me see what you are using for settings and we'll go from there.

You could have a faulty video board, but what you are seeing is more than likely just a bad video calibration setup. This stuff can be confusing, so let's just take it a step at a time.

The first thing I need is for you to report all those settings and status values I asked for. Don't assume I know any of the values, report all of it. We'll hone in on the important parts right away, but first I want to make sure you are not doing something silly like using the Zoom option in Scale Out.

Also, let me know what firmware version you have installed in the Anthem.
--Bob

post #15461 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamar View Post

Is there anything about this that indicates it might be a problem with ARC? Or is it pretty clearly environment and/or subwoofer?

I think your problem is the ambient room noise, although I agree it looks like your center speaker may have a faulty mid-range driver.

The 200Hz peaks could be street noise for example.

What are the specs on you sub? My guess would be that it is rated down to only 30Hz.

There may not be much you can do until the ambient noise problem is cured.

One possibility is to try a configuration without the Center speaker, and another without BOTH the Center speaker and the subwoofer just to satisfy yourself that ARC can produce useful results even given your ambient noise environment.

But I think ARC is getting confused as to the room modes due to the noise.
--Bob

post #15462 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering how many measurements people do on avereage? How far apart should the areas be?

Thanks
post #15463 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

I do 5, separated by 30" each. The outer two positions are angled in toward the screen a bit.
--Bob

post #15464 of 43098 Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You can download V1.33 now from the Anthem public downloads page. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.

You will need to save your Video Source Adjust menu settings to a PC file (using Live Video Settings Editor). Also, make sure you have your Setup menu settings saved in Saved User and/or Installer Settings. You can use the Front Panel display for that. Then Reload Factory settings before doing the firmware install. Make sure you don't have any powered HDMI connections during the install (I suggest you remove power from everything else to be sure).

After the Firmware install you Reload your Saved User Settings, and then restore your Video Source Adjust menu from the PC file (again using Live Video Settings Editor), and finally do the power down, power up, wait 30 seconds and power down cycle to complete things.
--Bob

Bob:

Thanks again for your help, I loaded v1.33 with no problems at all. As you suggested this restored my on screen setup menus. My original settings are all restored. Didn't have time to run ARC so will try that over the weekend.
post #15465 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:

I do 5, separated by 30" each. The outer two positions are angled in toward the screen a bit.
--Bob

Bob

Could you clarify the last sentance? Isn't the microphone omnidirectional in it's vertical position?

Mike

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
post #15466 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm considering replacing a Denon 4308 in a bedroom setup with a D2.

This setup is used a lot by my Wife, and she'll not be happy if I make her learn how to use a different remote control. Her alarm clock would still be flashing 12:00 if I didn't set it up

So my question: will the remote control that controls a Hughes HR10-250 DirecTV Tivo unit control the volume on a D2? (It has no "learning" capability, hence the question.)

A link to a picture: http://www.weaknees.com/images/tivo_...ivo_remote.jpg

If "yes" I'm a buyer and if "no" I'll first have to attempt to create harmony with a Harmony.
post #15467 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl52 View Post

Bob

Could you clarify the last sentance? Isn't the microphone omnidirectional in it's vertical position?

Mike

The mic LOCATIONS are angled in. The mic itself is still pointed straight up.

The mic is pointed straight up in all 5 positions (and set at seated ear height). My positions are:

#4...........................#5
.....\\......................./
...... #2 -- #1 -- #3

Position #1 is on the center axis of the screen at the primary listening distance. Positions #2 and #3 are on a straight line with #1, set at right angles to that center axis line. They are spaced 30" either side of #1.

Positions #4 and #5 are 30" from #2 and #3 respectively, but positioned closer to the screen. The line from #2 to #4 makes about a 30 to 45 degree angle with the straight line through #2, #1, and #3. Position #5 is set symmetrically on the other side.

(Positions #2, #1, and #3 are along a sofa, and positions #4 and #5 are outside the arms of that sofa and nearer the front edge of the sofa -- i.e., closer to the screen.)
--Bob

post #15468 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by learflyer View Post

Bob:

Thanks again for your help, I loaded v1.33 with no problems at all. As you suggested this restored my on screen setup menus. My original settings are all restored. Didn't have time to run ARC so will try that over the weekend.

Cool! Glad it worked for you. Have fun with your new ARC!
--Bob

post #15469 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

I'm considering replacing a Denon 4308 in a bedroom setup with a D2.

This setup is used a lot by my Wife, and she'll not be happy if I make her learn how to use a different remote control. Her alarm clock would still be flashing 12:00 if I didn't set it up

So my question: will the remote control that controls a Hughes HR10-250 DirecTV Tivo unit control the volume on a D2? (It has no "learning" capability, hence the question.)

A link to a picture: http://www.weaknees.com/images/tivo_...ivo_remote.jpg

If "yes" I'm a buyer and if "no" I'll first have to attempt to create harmony with a Harmony.

I'd be very surprised if the Anthem codes are included in the set of codes pre-programmed into your DirecTivo's remote. Anthem is not on the radar of consumer electronics companies.

But I suppose it could happen, so I'll have to let a DirecTivo owner respond.

In any event, a lot of folks using the Anthem with the DirecTivo (or other set top boxes) find the Logitech Harmony remotes work well to keep things down to just one relatively simple remote.
--Bob

post #15470 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm sure I could look in the manual, but I'm at work! I know the Anthem remote is programmable. If I can get the discrete codes online for my Lutron Grafik Eye lighting system can I directly punch the code into the Anthem remote to make it control the lighting? I'm just waiting to see what new remotes are coming out - looks like URC just announced the MX-450, I'm trying to figure out how that's different from the MX-810. In the meantime, the Anthem remote works fine - in addition to the other 10 remotes!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

post #15471 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Liked: 11
bob: re your mic placements. considering that some of us have two rows of seating, what would be the proper placements , allowing for an eight inch rear platform?
i have disconnected arc from my system, as i continually get front speaker measurements starting at 75 db, going up to 85 db, all w/i the first 100hz. this washes the base out! i reloaded the original professionally derived levels, x-overs etc, and the sound is much fuller.
i have been doing other things, and not gotten into the arc thing , but will, probably post olympics.
i have yet to figure out how to send my charts to the forum, but that is my problem with windows, i suppose.
walt
post #15472 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Yes if you re-position or re-aim your speakers you should re-Measure with ARC, just as if you make any other change that might reasonably be expected to impact the audio from the speakers -- such as adding curtains.

For Write Protecting files in Windows, see my post just above.
--Bob

Thank you very much Bob for your guidance. John.
post #15473 of 43098 Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post

bob: re your mic placements. considering that some of us have two rows of seating, what would be the proper placements , allowing for an eight inch rear platform?
i have disconnected arc from my system, as i continually get front speaker measurements starting at 75 db, going up to 85 db, all w/i the first 100hz. this washes the base out! i reloaded the original professionally derived levels, x-overs etc, and the sound is much fuller.
i have been doing other things, and not gotten into the arc thing , but will, probably post olympics.
i have yet to figure out how to send my charts to the forum, but that is my problem with windows, i suppose.
walt

I too have 2 rows of seats. The idea with ARC is to average all 5 or more positions. Just take a reading from all seats 1 foot from the back of the chair at ear height or a few inches higher.
post #15474 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post

I too have 2 rows of seats. The idea with ARC is to average all 5 or more positions. Just take a reading from all seats 1 foot from the back of the chair at ear height or a few inches higher.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable way to do it.

It's not really clear how sensitive ARC is to mic placement (given that you stay within the spacing guidelines and alternate either side of center). Since you are, in essence, sampling the room I like the idea of taking some samples outside the left and right end seats and also a little forward so that, essentially, you are capturing the entire seating area with the layout of mics -- including if people sit up or lean forward in the seats.
--Bob

post #15475 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post

walt

We'll take a look at your charts when you get a handle on how to post them, but keep in mind that if ARC is showing variation like that in your Measured curves, then that really does reflect what is going on (presuming you are taking the Measurements correctly). ARC will work to smooth that out for you.

If you've gotten used to listening to audio containing significant room response issues, then the ARC results may sound different, but they bass certainly shouldn't sound washed out.
--Bob

post #15476 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

I'm sure I could look in the manual, but I'm at work! I know the Anthem remote is programmable. If I can get the discrete codes online for my Lutron Grafik Eye lighting system can I directly punch the code into the Anthem remote to make it control the lighting? I'm just waiting to see what new remotes are coming out - looks like URC just announced the MX-450, I'm trying to figure out how that's different from the MX-810. In the meantime, the Anthem remote works fine - in addition to the other 10 remotes!

The Anthem remote can "learn" commands -- basically copying them into memory using the IR from another remote. But there's no way to enter a numeric code sequence representing a command. See Section 5 of the Manual.

Generally speaking you will likely be happier using a REAL programmable remote like the URC or Harmony products.
--Bob

post #15477 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Slightly off subject I have been offered a very good deal on a new AVM40 with arc I don't need video conversion; so my question is will the avm40 pass through 1080p/24 without problems.I could not find any thing on Anthems web site.
Any input would be appreciated.
Bigsac.
post #15478 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 AM

Liked: 11
Well, my Oppo 980 arrived this morning. A bit of confusion until I realized that 720 was the only resolution that would allow transmission of 5 channels PCM from an SACD (not 1080).

So I am comparing MC SACD from an Esoteric DV-50 Analog Direct to the D2 vs. Oppo 980 DSD/PCM conversion to 88.2/24 to the D2 with ARC enabled. And my family is out of town until tomorrow afternoon. I think audiophiles live for these weekends
post #15479 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post

Well, my Oppo 980 arrived this morning. A bit of confusion until I realized that 720 was the only resolution that would allow transmission of 5 channels PCM from an SACD (not 1080).

Really? I wonder why. Either 720p or 1080i/p *SHOULD* work.

HDMI audio is embedded inside the video signal and is limited to a fraction of the video bandwidth. As it turns out, HDMI 480i and 480p don't allow enough audio bandwidth for the high-bandwidth multi-channel LPCM from an SACD to fit. But anything 720p or higher should work.
--Bob

post #15480 of 43098 Old 08-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsac65 View Post

Slightly off subject I have been offered a very good deal on a new AVM40 with arc I don't need video conversion; so my question is will the avm40 pass through 1080p/24 without problems.I could not find any thing on Anthems web site.
Any input would be appreciated.
Bigsac.

The AVM-40 is spec'ed up to 1080p/60 for HDMI video in/out so it certainly should be able to handle 1080p/24. And there are no warnings about 1080p/24 in the updated manual. But we've had very few posters in this thread who are using the AVM-40 so I can't be sure.

If you send an email to Anthem tech support during business hours (address in the first post of this thread), you will likely get a quick response.
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page