Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #16981 of 43400 Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Bob,

What is the procedure to connect to the password protected download page on Anthem.

Best Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16982 of 43400 Old 11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 947
It's no big secret -- if you are working just about any problem with Anthem tech support they'll give it to you -- but Anthem is trying to keep some sort of track of who is using "test" software. At the very least so that they know such folks have been warned that "test" software may produce failures.

So I don't think we should be handing out the password here.

Send an email to Anthem tech support and let them know you would like to participate in trying that "test" software. If the recent discussion here leads you to believe the "test" ARC version will solve a problem you've been having, mention that as well. Odds are they'll email back to you with the password in short order. They already know, of course, that the "test" software is being discussed here on AVS.

Keep in mind that not all the surprises you find in "test" software will be pleasant. Also, it is pretty likely that there will continue to be rapid changes in this ARC "test" software. It is still "Alpha" quality -- which usually means not yet ready for field testing -- not yet "Beta" quality.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16983 of 43400 Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrsix View Post

Bob...after installing the 1.33 firmware upgrade to my AVM 20-hd, a clicking sound has crept into the audio side when I change channels on my directv recvr. I've done the reload factory defaults, and the system is good for a couple days, then the cricket returns. Thoughts?
Thanks,
John K.

I'm upgrading to v1.33 on Thursday. I have DirecTV HR20 DVR. Will I get this chirping noise on my D2 if I do this upgrade? Were you able to fix the chirping noise Kzrsix? Anybody on here with a D2 with V1.33 and an HR20 that has experienced this same problem?
post #16984 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

I'm upgrading to v1.33 on Thursday. I have DirecTV HR20 DVR. Will I get this chirping noise on my D2 if I do this upgrade? Were you able to fix the chirping noise Kzrsix? Anybody on here with a D2 with V1.33 and an HR20 that has experienced this same problem?

I have a D1 running 1.33 which I believe is the same as a D2 from an audio perspective and I have no issues with my HR20.

I feed the audio via optical since the D1 does not have any HDMI so the audio path might be a little different if you are feeding your D2 via HDMI for the HR20.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
post #16985 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 AM

Thank you Bob for the advise.

I had problem with the output HDMI after several week the upgrade to the release 1.33.

When I play with my DVD on the screen I saw a white line around the actor or some object on the HDTV.

Last week the HDMI ouput stop working but my HDMI input work fine because I send back to the component output.

I tried to change my cable nothing same issue.

I tried my DVD plug direct to my HDTV work fine.

Regards
post #16986 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl52 View Post

I have a D1 running 1.33 which I believe is the same as a D2 from an audio perspective and I have no issues with my HR20.

I feed the audio via optical since the D1 does not have any HDMI so the audio path might be a little different if you are feeding your D2 via HDMI for the HR20.

I am using HDMI for my direcTV so I don't know if that helps.
post #16987 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

My installer successfully installed 1.33 into the D2, but is having problems getting the ARC software going. Although he deleted the files when he tried to run the software disc so the mic and software serial Numbers match up, it won't allow this. Saying a the new 1.25 software is different. It is finding the deleted files somewhere in his computer. I don't know if I explained this right but right now we can't run the arc.
post #16988 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Any suggestions?
post #16989 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 AM

Liked: 11
This question was addressed some time back, but, i have lost the post #.
What is the difference between bitstream and lpcm?
If a panny b/r outputs bitstream codecs(master, et.al.) will my d2 process it properly(fully) -as opposed to the ps3 in lpcm.
I seem to recall bob preferred lpcm, but i do not recall the reason(s)
thx
walt
post #16990 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
D2 and AVM50 do not decode the hd formats, but they will accept the decoded PCM from your player and pass it on to the amps. Of course, it you have ARC, there will be one other important step to sonic nervana
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #16991 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

The Problem is solved. I now have version 1.33 for the D2 and 1.25 for the ARC. Does sound better. HMI switching is faster. I know many of you are experimenting with a new version of ARC but I thought I'd wait till it is official.
post #16992 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Any suggestions?

I have not had any problems just running the new ARC version and loading it right over the old version already on my laptop.
You might want to try this.
First go to Windows Explorer or My Computer and find the Anthem / Anthem Room Correction file in the Progrmming Files folder.
Copy the two serialized files, xxxxxx.xxxxxx.cal and xxxxxx.xxxxxxAnthem.file to your desktop.
Then go to Control Panel and uninstall the old ARC version you have on the laptop.
Check in Windows Explorer or My Computer in the Programming Files folder that the Anthem folder has been fully removed.
If not, remove it after uninstalling via the Control Panel.
Download the new version you are installing and put it into a new folder on your desktop.
Extract it and it will extract into a separate folder on the Desktop called "arc_cd".
Place your two serialized ARC files into the the arc_cd folder before clicking on setup.exe.
Be sure to allow the program to install a necessary programming plugin it requires and will prompt for as it installs.
Hope this helps
post #16993 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I have uninstalled the previous version of ARC and then installed the new one on many occasions with no problems. The files remain in a folder on your computer that is then used with the new version of ARC. I have yet to copy those files prior to an install. Don't you just love computers
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #16994 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post

This question was addressed some time back, but, i have lost the post #.
What is the difference between bitstream and lpcm?
If a panny b/r outputs bitstream codecs(master, et.al.) will my d2 process it properly(fully) -as opposed to the ps3 in lpcm.
I seem to recall bob preferred lpcm, but i do not recall the reason(s)
thx
walt

The new BlueRay codecs cannot be decoded by the D2 - yet. So you must use LPCM (decoded by the player).

The v2 D2 (and AVM50) will have the ability to decode these codecs as bitstream if you want.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #16995 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

ARC test version 1.2.13 is now out. Can't believe I beat Bob to the punch. Oh that's right, he's on vacation
John
Notes do not indicate anything different in this version, although I suspect they wouldn't release it if there wasn't.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #16996 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My CD player is a Bel Canto CD-1 with dual Burr-Brown 1792 DAC's with 352.8 kHz upsampling frequency. I'm wondering what the best method is in connecting it to my AVM50. I know it is probably best to try all connections to compare which I prefer, but what typically will give the best 2 ch audio when using a good quality cd player?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #16997 of 43400 Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

My CD player is a Bel Canto CD-1 with dual Burr-Brown 1792 DAC's with 352.8 kHz upsampling frequency. I'm wondering what the best method is in connecting it to my AVM50. I know it is probably best to try all connections to compare which I prefer, but what typically will give the best 2 ch audio when using a good quality cd player?

I've got an Electrocompaniet EMC1 with 192Khz upsampling and a D2.
I tried all possible connections.
The one that yielded the best audible sound was the digital one, thus by-passing my DAC. Hard to admit but true. I probably lost something in between but it was negligible compared to the gain keeping all digital and through ARC.
post #16998 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hi I hope this is an easy question. I just got my AVM50 w/ARC. I am trying to get 1:1 pixel mapping working on my Panasonic TH-50PH7UY plasma screen. It can accept a native resolution of 1366x768 @ 60Hz through the installed DVI blade. When I set the output on the AVM50 to 1366x768p/60 the display cannot find a signal. I was worried something was wrong with my display so I tried it with my laptop and it works properly showing a really nice sharp picture. I searched this thread and found someone with a similar problem. He used a custom setting to get it working. I found the custom setting in the video output menu but I can't find where I need to set the exact parameters. What am I missing? Thanks.
post #16999 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 AM

Hi Bob,

has attentively read the information under references in section TERMINOLOGY AND TECHNOLOGY on the first page. Unambiguity at me has not arisen.
You could give the UNEQUIVOCAL answer to my question?
At me TV - Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (PRO-151FD for USA), SAT - SAMSUNG DSB-B350V, DVD - Pioneer DV-868 AVi (59 AVi for USA).
I connect DVD on HDMI, SAT - on a component, plasma - on HDMI.
What DATA I should use for a HDMI-out?

Best Regards
post #17000 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 AM

When viewing BlueRay, is there any point to the video processor in the D2? If not, why are we paying for video processing in the unit assuming that most of us will be upgrading/buying exclusively BlueRay DVD's going forward.

Is it better to decode the sound formats in the player (I have the Sony PS3) or in the D2 V2 when available?

Is there any point to going with the D2 V2 if my TV is not 1.3 compliant? I have a nice TV but 1080i and not 1080p. Pioneer Elite Plasma model PRO 1540HD.

How long is you HDMI cable? Mine is about 25ft so is that too long. Not having any real issues except every now and then I have to turn off/on the D2 (only from initial turn on...never while it's working) because I don't get a blue screen with no picture or a picture with messed up colors. Rarely ever does that happen though. Is there any advantage to going with an HDMI 1.3 cable (on the D2 V2 when available) to take advantage of more bandwith even though my TV is not HDMI 1.3 compliant?
post #17001 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If not, why are we paying for video processing in the unit assuming that most of us will be upgrading/buying exclusively BlueRay DVD's going forward.

Who are you speaking for?
post #17002 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

The new BlueRay codecs cannot be decoded by the D2 - yet. So you must use LPCM (decoded by the player).

The v2 D2 (and AVM50) will have the ability to decode these codecs as bitstream if you want.

you have hit on the the root of my question. the panny, it is claimed, will decode master hd etc, and pass it as bitstream, i believe, over the hdmi cable.
will the d2 NOT accept the bitstream hdmi feed?
if true, then the ps3 looks like a natural choice if one wants all the codecs to be decoded in the player, and passed to the d2 as lpcm.
or, am i missing something?
post #17003 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

you have hit on the the root of my question. the panny, it is claimed, will decode master hd etc, and pass it as bitstream, i believe, over the hdmi cable.
if true, then the ps3 looks like a natural choice if one wants all the codecs to be decoded in the player, and passed to the d2 as lpcm.

ANY player that DECODES lossless audio - passes it over HDMI
as LPCM which the Anthem Handles like a Charm.

If the Player DOES NOT DECODE - then it passes the lossless
audio over HDMI as a Bitstream and you would NEED a D2-V2
to decode.

DECODE is the word to pay attention to.

In Theory - a decode in the player or a decode in the AVR is
suppose to yield the same results.

My Two Cent Opinion likes the Player decode! But in theory
it should not matter.
post #17004 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
gdc

Quote:

I don't know the Panasonic, but the D2 cannot decode DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD bitstream currently. The *player* must decode AND send it as multichannel LPCM over HDMI.

The D2 v2 is supposed to add the ability to decode these internally (sending bitstream). Until then, if you want to hear the DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD tracks, you HAVE to decode in the player and send LPCM over HDMI.

(drhankz was quicker on the reply...)

- Gordon

post #17005 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

When viewing BlueRay, is there any point to the video processor in the D2? If not, why are we paying for video processing in the unit assuming that most of us will be upgrading/buying exclusively BlueRay DVD's going forward.

Many of us haven't invested in BlueRay heaviliy or at all. With 100s of DVDs, there is continuing reason to need video processing. Plus, the quality level of BlueRay authoring/transfers seems to still be all over the map.
Quote:

Is it better to decode the sound formats in the player (I have the Sony PS3) or in the D2 V2 when available?

No one knows yet, since the v2 hasn't shipped.
Right now, you HAVE to decode the newer formats in the player. We'll see if there is any difference once we have some v2s in our hands.

Quote:

Is there any point to going with the D2 V2 if my TV is not 1.3 compliant? I have a nice TV but 1080i and not 1080p. Pioneer Elite Plasma model PRO 1540HD.

The 1.3 is just as valuable for your INPUT devices. HDMI will fallback to previous versions so your display isn't crucial. That said, HDMI 1.3 is probably not important to you. Considering how long most people keep their D2, however, you will probably find it useful in the future.

Quote:

How long is you HDMI cable? Mine is about 25ft so is that too long. Not having any real issues except every now and then I have to turn off/on the D2 (only from initial turn on...never while it's working) because I don't get a blue screen with no picture or a picture with messed up colors. Rarely ever does that happen though. Is there any advantage to going with an HDMI 1.3 cable (on the D2 V2 when available) to take advantage of more bandwith even though my TV is not HDMI 1.3 compliant?

I'm running an in wall 30 foot HDMI cable with no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't replace the cable - that's not where the 1.3 additions really add value. I doubt your occasional problems are due to your cable. More likely due to a specific device.

For instance, I never have problems with my Oppo DVD player, but have weird things going on with my TivoHD - especially after Tivo updated my firmware.

- Gordon

post #17006 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

When viewing BlueRay, is there any point to the video processor in the D2?

Sure! Some folks don't have 1080p displays.

Some folks want to use the Custom Gamma Correction features of the D2 to get best quality imaging on their display.

Some folks want the D2 to de-interlace and upscale "extras" content on the BD discs that are in 480i.

Some folks want to use the video adjustment features of the D2 to get a better levels match between their player and their display.

And a whole bunch of folks with CIH Projector setups want the D2 to due the necessary, anamorphic vertical stretch.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17007 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibg5 View Post

Hi Bob,

has attentively read the information under references in section TERMINOLOGY AND TECHNOLOGY on the first page. Unambiguity at me has not arisen.
You could give the UNEQUIVOCAL answer to my question?
At me TV - Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (PRO-151FD for USA), SAT - SAMSUNG DSB-B350V, DVD - Pioneer DV-868 AVi (59 AVi for USA).
I connect DVD on HDMI, SAT - on a component, plasma - on HDMI.
What DATA I should use for a HDMI-out?

Best Regards

For your PRO-151FD equivalent display you will want to use either YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2. Automatic should give you one of these as well.

Odds are you won't spot a difference between them, but I suggest you start with YCbCr 4:4:4. Get familiar with how that looks using your "best picture" level settings. Then switch to YCbCr 4:2:2 and re-adjust you level settings. If you see a difference, go with the one that looks better.

YCbCr 4:4:4 is the default data format for HDMI to HDMI connections.
--Bob

post #17008 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

Hi I hope this is an easy question. I just got my AVM50 w/ARC. I am trying to get 1:1 pixel mapping working on my Panasonic TH-50PH7UY plasma screen. It can accept a native resolution of 1366x768 @ 60Hz through the installed DVI blade. When I set the output on the AVM50 to 1366x768p/60 the display cannot find a signal. I was worried something was wrong with my display so I tried it with my laptop and it works properly showing a really nice sharp picture. I searched this thread and found someone with a similar problem. He used a custom setting to get it working. I found the custom setting in the video output menu but I can't find where I need to set the exact parameters. What am I missing? Thanks.

Ron,
You need to use the Live Video Settings Editor application on a Windows PC. You'll find that application included in the V1.33 firmware download kit on the public download page for the AVM-50. The application talks to your AVM-50 over the same serial connection setup you use for firmware installs. It allows you to make changes in the Video Source Adjust menu of the AVM-50 on the fly (i.e., while viewing video). And it lets you set up and upload both Custom Video timings and Custom Gamma correction curves.

In Live Video Settings Editor, find the section for entering a Custom Video setup. It will offer a choice of "standard" resolutions that is larger than the list in the Setup menu, and also a place to enter completely customized timings. That's the one you want. Once you enter the values and upload that to the Anthem, the Custom choice in the Setup > Video Output > Output Resolution menu will use the timings you have just uploaded.

You only need your PC connected long enough to enter and upload those settings. After that, the Anthem remembers them as the current Custom Output Resolution and you can disconnect your PC.

There is a link in the first post in this thread to the post detailing the custom timings that seem to work best for the 768p Panasonic displays.
--Bob

post #17009 of 43400 Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibe2146 View Post

Thank you Bob for the advise.

I had problem with the output HDMI after several week the upgrade to the release 1.33.

When I play with my DVD on the screen I saw a white line around the actor or some object on the HDTV.

Last week the HDMI ouput stop working but my HDMI input work fine because I send back to the component output.

I tried to change my cable nothing same issue.

I tried my DVD plug direct to my HDTV work fine.

Regards

While viewing the DVD, bring up the Video Source Adjust menu (press and hold the "7" key on the remote). In the Picture panel, check that you have not accidentally turned on the Detail Enhancement option. If it is turned on too high it will produce "halos" around edges.

------------------------------------------------------

Your HDMI output problem could be a lot of things.

First, go into the Setup > Video Output menu (use the Front Panel display if you need to) and change the output resolution temporarily to 480p (or 576p in Europe). This is the "simplest" resolution for HDMI.

Check your other settings in there as well.

Then go to the Setup > Source Setup menu for a source and make sure the correct Video Output Configuration is selected (you have 4 configurations you can define).

If you've got video now, then go back and re-enter the correct output resolution and try that again.

If you are still not getting video, give Anthem tech support a call.

Keep in mind that the on-screen volume display, the on-screen Setup menu, and the on-screen Video Source Adjust menu are all produced internally in the Anthem -- independent of any source device. So you can use them to find out if your output is working at all and then focus on the output side or the input side of the Anthem according to what happens.
--Bob

post #17010 of 43400 Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

emailed Nick re the new test version of ARC and he said it was to address a very specific problem in someone's config but could likely become the new version.
John

Bob,
the framelock worked perfectly. Don't need to switch video configs now
thanks.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page