Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #17581 of 42999 Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
which blue ray players currently will decode internally to match up the best with my d2

thanks, bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17582 of 42999 Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 PM

Liked: 10
Yeah, it's darn confusing that Anthem used ARC as the acronym for Anthem Room Correction. The HDMI standard's optional "Audio Rate Control" of course has nothing whatsoever to do with Anthem Room Correction, tho obviously the two beasts could readily coexist in one pre-pro.
post #17583 of 42999 Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

which blue ray players currently will decode internally to match up the best with my d2

thanks, bob

PS3.

Sony S550 and S5000-ES.

Panasonic BD55.

Denon 3800.

Upcoming Denon DVD-A1UDCI.

The upcoming Oppo should be a monster, and will play SACD and DVD-A... I think it's 2-3 months out.

Because the video processing in the D2 is so good, the Denon's and Oppo may be overkill for most.
post #17584 of 42999 Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post

Does anyone know if V.2 will have Audio Rate Control? As some of you may know, normal HDMI connections have horrendous jitter on the audio (see the Jan. 2009 issue of Hi-Fi News, if you need convincing). In the 5.1 world, this could be overcome by sending audio via SPDIF. But for 7.1 channels and the new HD audio formats, this tactic is not usable. A solution exists but manufacturers are not obligated to implement it. In HDMI 1.3a, an optional feature is specified called "Audio Rate Control." This gets rid of the excessive jitter and is effectively what Pioneer was using over iLink (PQLS) and Denon over Cat5 (DenonLink), but now implemented via HDMI.

It still isn't an issue when sending bit stream HD audio codecs, only PCM from a player.
post #17585 of 42999 Old 12-28-2008, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
Hello,

Does anybody know why my Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 audio card's HDMI output only garbage when set to 192Khz? If I set it to 96Khz then I get a multichannel signal.
I also would like to know if I should I set my output to 5.1 (since we unfortunately still don't have the D2 v.2) or to 7.1 and let the D2 do some downmixing or whatever.

Thank you
post #17586 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Use Dolby Prologic IIx for 7.1 and it will sound excellent.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #17587 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Hey Bob,

Any updates on the AVM 50 V2 or the D2 V2?

Thanks!
post #17588 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

Hey Bob,

Thanks!

I'm not Bob but... The official pricing (with special introductory price for the "v" pre-pros) was sent to the dealers and reps this afternoon. Check with your local Anthem dealer for details.

glennQ

dream in algorithms

twitter
post #17589 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

I'm not Bob but... The official pricing (with special introductory price for the "v" pre-pros) was sent to the dealers and reps this afternoon. Check with your local Anthem dealer for details.

glennQ

any details?
post #17590 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

Hey Bob,

Thanks!

We received literature and pricing effective today 12/29/08.

Pre-orders have been taken already and anticipated delivery is late January but don't hold me to it pretty please. :-)

Anthem has set introductory pricing for both the AVM 50v and D2v to be the same as the prior AVM 50 w/arc and D2. This means $5499 and $7499 retail for the new 50v and D2v.

We don't know when the introductory pricing will end so get your orders in now. I believe they will increase $500 or so.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jim E.
post #17591 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderv6 View Post

any details?

Some more info:

INTRODUCING THE ANTHEM® STATEMENT D2v AND ANTHEM® AVM 50v

As the leader in cutting-edge digital audio and digital video processing, Anthem is proud to announce the latest improvements to the industry's 'reference' standard A/V Processors. Now including the latest advances in video and audio processing technology, the new Anthem Statement D2v and Anthem AVM 50v are here!
Full details will be coming soon on a Preliminary Data Sheet, but for now here are some highlights on both models:

Now with 8 HDMI (v1.3c) inputs and 2 HDMI (v1.3c) parallel outputs

The latest Gennum VXP broadcast quality video processing:

-
Deep Color and new audio format support over HDMI

-
Improved noise reduction: Adjustable 'mosquito' and 'block' noise reduction

PCM input is up to 7.1 channels at 24 bits / 192 kHz

Two dual-core audio DSP engines (an Anthem design!) offer a total of 800 MIPS to allow decoding of the
new Dolby and DTS HD audio standards

Dolby Volume (to be added very soon as a free software download from our website)

The critically acclaimed ARC is included on both models
post #17592 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

PS3.

Sony S550 and S5000-ES.

Panasonic S550.

Denon 3800.

Upcoming Denon DVD-A1UDCI.

The upcoming Oppo should be a monster, and will play SACD and DVD-A... I think it's 2-3 months out.

Because the video processing in the D2 is so good, the Denon's and Oppo may be overkill for most.

There is no such thing as a Panasonic S550 I think you mean 55K. :-) That is what I have with my D2 and all works fine.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #17593 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about the kid noises. ARC is pretty good at rejecting a Measurement sweep if random noises happen during the sweep tones. Kid noises certainly wouldn't explain what you are getting from your surrounds. (Do try to run your next set of ARC Measurements when the room will remain quiet however.)

Your sub says it is spec'ed down to 20Hz, but a 12 inch sub is pretty small for most listening rooms. The fact that the sub gets loud at higher frequencies does not conflict with this. A sub has to huff a lot of air to pressurize the room at 20Hz and a 12 inch sub will be hard pressed to do that.

However I note that the sub offers an optional subsonic cutoff at 35Hz, and since it appears to be function down to 35Hz I'd start by suggesting you double check you didn't accidentally flip that switch from 20Hz to 35Hz.

Odds are you just need a bigger sub for the cubic feet of air space in your room. Velodyne has a simple calculator on their web site that will suggest subs for different room sizes. It tends to be a bit conservative. For example they say I should need a DD-18, but my DD-15 works just peachy.

Again, 35Hz from the sub is not bad, and it is functioning properly now, so I wouldn't rush to fix the sub problem just yet. The surrounds problem is much more important. But if you were thinking about replacing the sub anyway, make sure you get one big enough for your room as well as designed to go deep.

---------------------------------------------

I don't know your surround speakers. I don't know if there are gotchas due to the ceiling mount. However one obvious thing to try is to switch all 4 of them to bipole and measure again.

Some speakers have separate input jacks for high frequency and low frequency -- which are often fed with just one pair of speaker wire and a jumper between the two pairs of jacks.

The marketing materials you posted for them don't go into installation stuff, but the treble response is bad enough from these that it wouldn't surprise me to learn they got installed without the high frequency inputs connected to anything.

ETA: To test this, play some CD music, and select STEREO ALL audio mode on the Anthem. This will cause the surrounds to get sent the same audio that is going to LF/RF. Now get up on a step ladder and put your ear close to each tweeter in each surround and see if it is actually playing anything at all.
--Bob

Bob,

I hope you remember me. We were going back and forth right before Christmas on my ARC results. Speaking of Christmas...I hope you had a good one!

Well I finally got some time to tinker with all those settings and suggestions you made. I really can't tell if anything changed.

Here's what I know. I uninstalled and inspected the surround speakers. The connections are solid and I confirmed in ALL Channel music mode that the tweeters are working. So unfortunately that theory is dead.

I then switched the speakers back and forth between dipole and bipole mode (there's a switch on the speaker). Based on the naked ear it did sound like Bipole sounded better. I also discovered that there is a Dipole/Direct speaker setting within the AVM Speaker configuration menu. I did have the setting correctly set to Dipole but I decided to play around and found that when it's set to "Direct", the Dipole speaker mode sounded better than dipole/dipole .

So I spent 3 hours listening to (speaker setting/AVM configuration setting) Dipole/Dipole, Dipole/Direct, Bipole/Dipole and Bipole/Direct. I "think" Bipole/Direct sounded the best. Hell who knows after watching the Dark Knight 10 times in a row listening for the smallest variances. Now I know what it would have been like to be Howard Hughes. I was about to go NUTS.

So after reading the speaker manual 100x and playing with all the settings I decided to run two additional ARC tests in two new configuration modes.

I already had ARC graphs in (Speaker Setting/AVM Speaker Config Setting) in Dipole/Dipole mode. The next two tests were Dipole/Direct and Bipole/Direct. My charts are below. Once again I have NO idea if anything improved. I feel like an idiot. I wish I could tell. Is my tweeter problem still there?

I'd really appreciate your analysis. This surround issue has me all tweaked out. The good news is I did take your advice and I'm ordering a new "deeper" sub. I agree...we can do better. Now I need to resolve the surround problem.

Lastly if you could educate me on a few new questions, I'd REALLY appreciate it. You've been SOOOO helpful!

Do the Direct versus Dipole configuration settings in the AVM make a big difference. I assume I'm supposed to match my speaker to the speaker configuration setting; i.e. dipole speakers get matched to the dipole setting.

Does the Bass and Treble setting make any difference here? Do those settings effect ARC or are they turned off? If on, what do you keep your treble and bass set to?

What's your favorite Anthem movie mode? Anthem Movie or Dolby P2x?

Thanks for ALL the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Tex
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #17594 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM

I'd really appreciate your analysis. This surround issue has me all tweaked out. The good news is I did take your advice and I'm ordering a new "deeper" sub. I agree...we can do better. Now I need to resolve the surround problem.

Big Tex[/quote]

Here's the last missing graph. Hopefully you can see all three options.

Bipole Speaker in Direct Anthem Mode - Graph 1
Bipole Speaker in Direct Anthem Mode - Graph 2

Dipole Speaker in Direct Anthem Mode 1 - Graph 1
Dipole Speaker in Direct Anthem Mode 2 - Graph 2

Dipole Speaker in Dipole Anthem Mode 1 - Graph 1
Dipole Speaker in Dipole Anthem Mode 2 - Graph 2
LL
post #17595 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 PM

About those parallel HDMI outputs on the v series processors... Although they do need to share a source, each output can have it's own resolution. Just an FYI.

glennQ

dream in algorithms

twitter
post #17596 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Just a quick note to let people know I'm not able to respond to questions right now. I should be posting again this weekend.

Happy New Year to all of you!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17597 of 42999 Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Just a quick note to let people know I'm not able to respond to questions right now. I should be posting again this weekend.

Happy New Year to all of you!
--Bob

Right back at you Bob! Thanks for another year of patient and clear answers for so many and ultra-precise explanations of how to get the most out of our Anthem pre-pro!

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #17598 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post

We received literature and pricing effective today 12/29/08.

Pre-orders have been taken already and anticipated delivery is late January but don't hold me to it pretty please. :-)

Anthem has set introductory pricing for both the AVM 50v and D2v to be the same as the prior AVM 50 w/arc and D2. This means $5499 and $7499 retail for the new 50v and D2v.

We don't know when the introductory pricing will end so get your orders in now. I believe they will increase $500 or so.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jim E.

Many thanks Jim.

Any info on upgrade pricing? I have the chance of a vanilla D1 (no ARC) at a very low price and I'm wondering what that would cost to take to V2....
post #17599 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ha see, I knew the new processor would be called the D2V and not D2V2. (not that it matters at all) Introductory price of 7400.00 USD is ouch. I was hoping they'd discount it more. What I'm really interested in is the upgrade cost. I'm hoping they offer some kind of introductory upgrade.

The factory-authorized sale on the Statement D2 is still on. I believe it ends in a few days. It might be worth looking into considering it comes with a coupon for a half price D2V upgrade.
post #17600 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderv6 View Post

Many thanks Jim.

Any info on upgrade pricing? I have the chance of a vanilla D1 (no ARC) at a very low price and I'm wondering what that would cost to take to V2....

The upgrade of any Anthem to a "v" is still in the TBD category. I would pass on upgrading and given the special pricing get a new D2v. Get in touch with a dealer and I'm sure you can get a bargain. ;-)

THe rumor is that an upgrade from a D2 with ARC to a D2v will be at least $2600. You should expect a D2 without ARC or a D1 upgrade to a D2v to be at least $3000. This is just a projection right now.

Jim E.
post #17601 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

Ha see, I knew the new processor would be called the D2V and not D2V2. (not that it matters at all) Introductory price of 7400.00 USD is ouch. I was hoping they’d discount it more. What I’m really interested in is the upgrade cost. I’m hoping they offer some kind of introductory upgrade.

The factory-authorized sale on the Statement D2 is still on. I believe it ends in a few days. It might be worth looking into considering it comes with a coupon for a half price D2V upgrade.

Remember, the $7499 introductory price is retail. I'd be shocked, especially given the substantial downturn in business, if you couldn't bargain and get a great deal on the new unit now.

For clarity and according to the literature I received, the 1/2 price upgrade coupon only applies to AVM 50's and D2's that were sold within the last 60 days or the dealer's existing demo unit.

Finally, the factory sale on both the AVM 50 with ARC-1 and D2 is OVER. They were sold out as of 12/29/08. Sorry. :-( In fact, when I talked to Nick G. at Anthem yesterday he didn't even know that until I told him.

Cheers,
Jim E.
post #17602 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Remember, the $7499 introductory price is retail. I'd be shocked, especially given the substantial downturn in business, if you couldn't bargain and get a great deal on the new unit now.

For clarity and according to the literature I received, the 1/2 price upgrade coupon only applies to AVM 50's and D2's that were sold within the last 60 days or the dealer's existing demo unit.

Finally, the factory sale on both the AVM 50 with ARC-1 and D2 is OVER. They were sold out as of 12/29/08. Sorry. :-( In fact, when I talked to Nick G. at Anthem yesterday he didn't even know that until I told him.

Cheers,
Jim E.

Holy sold out! I just bought my D2 three weeks ago. I was shocked when I seen the half off coupon. I got the D2 for an incredible price and at the time I was thinking I'd just stick with the D2. Now the half price coupon all but guarantees I'll be doing the upgrade within the next year before the coupon expires.

Jim you seem to be in the loop so I'll ask you if you think there will be some sort of introductory pricing for the V upgrade. I really hope to take advantage of both introductory pricing and half price! I know, I just want it all!
post #17603 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

Holy sold out! I just bought my D2 three weeks ago. I was shocked when I seen the half off coupon. I got the D2 for an incredible price and at the time I was thinking I'd just stick with the D2. Now the half price coupon all but guarantees I'll be doing the upgrade within the next year before the coupon expires.

Jim you seem to be in the loop so I'll ask you if you think there will be some sort of introductory pricing for the V upgrade. I really hope to take advantage of both introductory pricing and half price! I know, I just want it all!

If you bought your D2 from an authorized dealer and it has ARC then you would qualify for the 1/2 price upgrade.

The only introductory pricing special is the one I just mentioned. If there are other specials then I'm not aware of any.

When does your coupon expire?

Jim E.
post #17604 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you bought your D2 from an authorized dealer and it has ARC then you would qualify for the 1/2 price upgrade.

The only introductory pricing special is the one I just mentioned. If there are other specials then I'm not aware of any.

When does your coupon expire?

Jim E.

Ya I purchased the D2 (new) from an authorised dealer. The exact wording on included coupon is:

Anthem Statement!
Future Proof your D2!
For a limited time you can upgrade your D2 to the next generation D2V (coming soon!) for 1/2 price.

Ask your Dealer for details.

Offer Valid for 12 months from date of purchase.

So I would assume I have until December 9th 2009 and send the unit off for the upgrade.

I thought I'd wait until late summer as I assume they'll get truckloads of D2's in for upgrade once the upgrade is available. My dealer thought the upgrade will be available late Feb early Mar but that was a guess as nothing was official as of the time I bought. I'd do the upgrade right away if there were introductory pricing of some kind. The D2 is so amazing I wouldn't be surprised if the did offer some kind of incentive to get people to upgrade now. Having said that I also wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't combine the (possible) introductory pricing with the half off coupon. Either way I'll have less than 6k Canadian into the processor after I do the upgrade so I'm thrilled no matter what. Actually I'll have less then 5k into it because my dealer gave me 100% credit on what I spent on a Denon 3808ci against the D2. I really got a fantastic deal.
post #17605 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

First of all you should set 'Auto Dig' to 'No'. Bob can explain when to turn it on, but I had troubles when I was doing my initial set-up on my D2 by setting up 'Auto Dig' to 'Yes' for all my digital connections. It's counter-intuitive, but turn the Auto Digital to 'No'.
Secondly, it sounds as if you might have a bad optical cable connected to your cdp. Switch the optical cable from your SAT to your cdp, and connect it to the D2 optical 2. You know that this cable and input work for the SAT, so it should work for the cdp. If it doesn't work, then there is something wrong with the cdp's optical out. If it does work, then connect the cable to the D2's other optical inputs and see if they work. If they do work with the optical cable you know works then the other cable is bad. If it doesn't work in the other D2 optical inputs, then they are the problem.
Now if you are trying the analog and digital connections so that you can A/B the cdp to see which connection you like best, then you can use the digital coax connection. It will be as good as, if not better, than the optical.
I'm guessing that the cable or the cdp's optical out is the problem. It shouldn't take very much time to trouble shoot the problem. Probably less time than it takes me to explain it.
Tom

Bob:

Can you follow-up on Bob's response and explain the Auto Digital setting? For my PS3 and DVD player, I have to set these to yes, otherwse, I get the hiss/humm issue constantly.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #17606 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

See my save settings screen. What's with the little clock symbols that I never had before? Anyone else notice this with theirs?

Attachment 128012
LL

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #17607 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

See my save settings screen. What's with the little clock symbols that I never had before? Anyone else notice this with theirs?

Attachment 128012

Now that is really weird Never seen that.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #17608 of 42999 Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Now that is really weird Never seen that.
John

Nick at Anthem hasn't either.

post #17609 of 42999 Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Bob:

Can you follow-up on Bob's response and explain the Auto Digital setting? For my PS3 and DVD player, I have to set these to yes, otherwse, I get the hiss/humm issue constantly.

Page 34 of the manual explains the 'auto digital' setting. It is for sources that send both an analog and digital signal, like some old cable boxes, and allows the D2 to sense which signal it is receiving and switch between analog and digital when necessary. Your ps3 and dvd (and newer cable or sat box) should be sending only a digital signal, and therefore not need 'auto dig' set to 'on'. I don't think it would hurt anything to have it 'on', it just shouldn't be necessary with most sources.
As for the 'hiss/humm issue' I would contact Anthem technical. Between that issue and your 'weird screen' , a reload of v1.33 might be called for. Ask Nick and Co.
Tom
BTW, what did you figure out about the cdp optical problem you were having?

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #17610 of 42999 Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

I’m trying to wrap my head around something.

Now that I have the greatest darn processor EVER ( ) what do I need to surround it with? The D2 does all the Video and Audio processing. So is there a need for other higher end equipment. Would things look or sound any different if I replaced my PS3 with a $2000.00 Denon 3800BDCI blu-ray player? Or the new Oppo player when it’s released? Now that I have the D2 can I just use whatever and let the D2 do all the work or would there be an improvement if I upgrade the rest of my components?

If I surround the D2 with lower level equipment am I missing out?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page