post #17701 of 42942 Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

http://www.toruspower.com/rm_20_bal.htm Is anybody familar with this gear?

There is a positive review at http://www.stereophile.com/powerline...rus/index.html
But it reads exactly the same as any of the other unproven audiophile devices: >>The PIU greatly enhanced subtle details of tone, timbre, and imaging when dynamics were extreme or volume was loud. Removing the PIU shrank the soundstage, making my system sound flatter and less detailed.<< The power of suggestion is extremely strong, so his comments must be viewed with great skepticism, as his tests were not done "blind."

Converting 240V to 120V isn't really useful unless your 120v amplifier is popping the service breakers. Failing that, the amp is getting all the juice it needs.

Save the $3000 for something really useful.

Just my opinion, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17702 of 42942 Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I still can't believe I own a D2! Is it normal to still be in shock and awe over a month after getting a processor?

Home Theater Bliss!

I know, I know ya'll have seen the D2 before... but ya haven't seen MINE!
post #17703 of 42942 Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Liked: 10
I cross-posted in the other forums, but I suspect, as usual, I will get a better answer here (thanks Bob P!)

Here's my issue:

I have my PS3 and Xbox connected to my Anthem D2 via HDMI. Everything is working fine.

However, whenever I try to play audio files, sent via WMP 11 Connect, the PS3 and Xbox are not sending them in PCM 2.0 format, but rather 5.1 format. The next effect is that I'm only getting stereo sound from my mains and nothing from the rest of my speakers, since the D2 thinks it's getting a multichannel signal.

If it were to receive a 2.0 signal, then it would be able to apply its processing to send the signal through all of my speakers.

Anyone find a way to work around this?

Thanks,
Dave
post #17704 of 42942 Old 01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

I still can't believe I own a D2! Is it normal to still be in shock and awe over a month after getting a processor?

Home Theater Bliss!

I know, I know ya'll have seen the D2 before... but ya haven't seen MINE!

-43dB?

Dang! Imagine how much better it will sound when you turn the volume up!

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17705 of 42942 Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhoenig View Post

I cross-posted in the other forums, but I suspect, as usual, I will get a better answer here (thanks Bob P!)

Here's my issue:

I have my PS3 and Xbox connected to my Anthem D2 via HDMI. Everything is working fine.

However, whenever I try to play audio files, sent via WMP 11 Connect, the PS3 and Xbox are not sending them in PCM 2.0 format, but rather 5.1 format. The next effect is that I'm only getting stereo sound from my mains and nothing from the rest of my speakers, since the D2 thinks it's getting a multichannel signal.

If it were to receive a 2.0 signal, then it would be able to apply its processing to send the signal through all of my speakers.

Anyone find a way to work around this?

Thanks,
Dave

This is a long-standing bug in the PS3. It outputs this as 5.1 (or 7.1 for other AVRs) with only the LF/RF channels actually active. I don't use the PS3 this way so I haven't tried to work around it, but I've seen some posts over in the PS3 sticky thread in the Blu-Ray player forum here indicating there's a workaround that involves telling the PS3 to upsample the 2.0 content to a higher sampling rate -- which apparently causes it to decide to output it as 2.0 as well. You'd best ask over there (use the PS3 FAQ sticky thread). I think they just fixed this bug for CD playback in the last firmware release, so maybe they'll fix it for streamed audio soon as well.

I don't know anything about the XBOX.

----------------------------------------------------

There's no workaround I know of within the Anthem itself.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17706 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

-43dB?

Dang! Imagine how much better it will sound when you turn the volume up!

--Bob

LOL!!!

I watched The Dark Knight at -9dB and my ears were ringing for a few hours after. That Bryston will let ya feel it! It was like I went to a concert. I thinks to meself, I can't do that very often or I'll be deff by the time me's 50!
post #17707 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hey Bob, could you chime in on this? mikefl52 has me seriously considering getting a power conditioner. I'd love to get your take on this. I know it's one of these hot spots around AVS. Some say it's useless others swear by it. What's your opinion?

I was not suggesting power conditioning.

I was suggesting using a surge protection that was not going to choke the ability to draw current whihc I believe most of the MOV designed devices (including Monster surge protection) do, but which the Richard Gray (surge protenctions as opposed to power conditioning) do not. Not only that but MOVs will deteriorate over time with each surge occurance.

I also suggseted a UPS not to be able to operate during an extended outage, but to smooth out the on - off - on - off - on occurances that are pretty common here in Florida during storms or to allow a controlled shut down of equipment if the outage is longer than a minute or so.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
post #17708 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got the Harmony One remote and trying to figure out how to learn the "setup" button and the "video processor" button which requires you to hold the corresponding buttons on the Anthem remote to get these screens to come up on the TV. I was able to get it to learn these buttons for their primary function, but not the secondary function when you hold them down.

Has anyone with the Harmony One come across this same issue and found a solution to it? I talked to level 1 tech support and they were of no help. I am going to try to get in touch with level 2 tonight to see if they have a fix, but if I can avoid that and get and answer here, it would be great.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #17709 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

I just got the Harmony One remote and trying to figure out how to learn the "setup" button and the "video processor" button which requires you to hold the corresponding buttons on the Anthem remote to get these screens to come up on the TV. I was able to get it to learn these buttons for their primary function, but not the secondary function when you hold them down.

Has anyone with the Harmony One come across this same issue and found a solution to it? I talked to level 1 tech support and they were of no help. I am going to try to get in touch with level 2 tonight to see if they have a fix, but if I can avoid that and get and answer here, it would be great.

Honestly, I didn't bother. I use the 880 and I set it up using the computer no problem. I use the Harmony for all the basic functions. Turning stuff on and off, switching between sources and of course volume settings. The Harmony is pretty much used 95% of the time. However when I need to get into the actual internal settings of the D2 I just grab the actual D2 remote and do what I have to do.

That's likely easier than trying to set the Harmony up to do all the technical stuff you'll hardly ever use.
post #17710 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

At one time the hold function (video processing) for my harmony 880 worked with the database that was loaded from logitech. I made a change to tweak some functions and add a device and it all broke. I think at the time Bob said something about the logitech site being messed up and I haven't gone back to try to reload the anthem. I'd be interested in what anybody has to say too. I've never been able to get it to use zone 2.
post #17711 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

I'm surprised that Logitech/Harmony has not updated their database for the D2 yet to fix this.

Yes, level two support can change the code on those buttons so that press-and-hold works correctly. There's no way you can fix this yourself.

-------------------------------------------------

The three problems I had to get level two to fix for my Harmony 880's D2 device conifiguration were:

1) Addition of the the various 3-key input selectors (e.g., DVD2). The ability of users to add such selectors on their own was taken out of the Harmony setup stuff early last year.

2) Press-and-hold buttons such as the setup menu, the audio mode, and the "7" key.

3) Adjusting the codes for volume up/down and the 4 arrow keys so that they didn't advance by multiple steps with each press. This was needed when Harmony made some sort of firmware change for the remote last summer that appears to make it use a "repeat count" on those buttons even when the configuration has repeat count set to 0 or 1. This may only be an 880 problem and may even be fixed generically by now (I haven't updated my 880 firmware in many months).

If you have had your Harmony configuration for a while (i.e., you had another Harmony prior to getting your new One), it may be that you will get updated stuff in the D2 definition simply by deleting that device from your configuration and re-entering it as a new device. Of course that means you will need to re-attach it to all of your activities which is a nuisance.
--Bob

post #17712 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

At one time the hold function (video processing) for my harmony 880 worked with the database that was loaded from logitech. I made a change to tweak some functions and add a device and it all broke. I think at the time Bob said something about the logitech site being messed up and I haven't gone back to try to reload the anthem. I'd be interested in what anybody has to say too. I've never been able to get it to use zone 2.

The Anthem is like 4 devices in one box: Main path, Zone 2, Zone 3, and Record. All 4 of these devices share one remote control.

The buttons at the top left of the Anthem remote let you alter the codes the remote sends out according to which of those devices you want to control at the moment -- just like you can press the DVD button up there to have the remote send out commands your DVD player understands (presuming your DVD player is one of the models precoded into the Anthem remote).

The Harmony stuff is not designed to switch command sets like that. So what you would have to do is set up 4 devices in Harmony -- one for Main, one for Zone 2, etc. And then set up activities that use the Zone 2 device. This is not that bad since there are a limited number of buttons you are likely to actually use for Zone2, Zone3, and Record use.

Now the problem is that I don't think Harmony has a database entry for anything except the Main path codes. So you would probably have to "learn" all of the buttons for a Zone 2 device, etc. But before doing that, give Harmony level two support a call and see whether they might already have all that stuff in the version of the database that only they can see. If so, they can easily set up the extra devices for you and you can then use them in your Activities as you see fit.

Alternatively you could add all these extra buttons into the single device definition you currently use for the Main path, but I suspect that might be more confusing, particularly since the Zone2 stuff can be powered on and off independently from the Main path -- i.e., it fits best into the Harmony scheme as if it were a separate device.
--Bob

post #17713 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM

I have concluded arc measurement for '09: reason: added another sub.
I followed bob's procedure for zeroing out the LF and sub etc.
The measurement started as normal; i.e. the LF pinged nine times, went silent, and i waited for the ctr to start - but, no, it did not!
Instead, I was given the standard error message (03 #$#) and arc asked if i wanted to abort or proceed. I proceeded, and the CENTER issued forth nine pings[typically, the ctr only pings five times] .
The rest of the measurement went according to plan.[ yes, on succeeding mic locations, the LF did ping nine times per mic postition. Then, the rest of the speakers pinged five times each, which is as it should be - i believe. BUT, on the opening[/color][/u][/color] series of pings, the LF does not get recorded.
(charts attached)
So- is this a bug? By not starting with the full range LF speaker( as opposed to the smaller ctr) am I losing something important in the measurement process? If setting the LF front as the reference is really important, then i must be losing some part of the data that arc needs.
but - i do not know!
LL
LL
LL
post #17714 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not at home right now so can't double check some things but I'm sure i tried to learn the zone 2 commands and it didn't work. I have tried setting up zone two as a seperate device and i beleive logitech leads you to believe if you search for the device to add and when it asks for the model you type in "d2 zone 2" it does find it and changes the model to "Statement D2 (Zone 2)" which makes you think that it would then use zone 2 commands (I'm mostly interested in the power on / off and volume) just like the original remote with the zone 2 button slected but that never worked for me.

I do plan on removing the D2 ad setting it all up again, hopefully things are fixed but i suspect the zone 2 will not work. I can't do this until tomorrow night at the earliest.
post #17715 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl52 View Post

I was not suggesting power conditioning.

I was suggesting using a surge protection that was not going to choke the ability to draw current whihc I believe most of the MOV designed devices (including Monster surge protection) do, but which the Richard Gray (surge protenctions as opposed to power conditioning) do not. Not only that but MOVs will deteriorate over time with each surge occurance.

I looked at all the surge protectors at http://www.richardgrayspowercompany....?type=parallel and they all use MOVs.
post #17716 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post

I have concluded arc measurement for '09: reason: added another sub.
I followed bob's procedure for zeroing out the LF and sub etc.
The measurement started as normal; i.e. the LF pinged nine times, went silent, and i waited for the ctr to start - but, no, it did not!
Instead, I was given the standard error message (03 #$#) and arc asked if i wanted to abort or proceed. I proceeded, and the CENTER issued forth nine pings[typically, the ctr only pings five times] .
The rest of the measurement went according to plan.[ yes, on succeeding mic locations, the LF did ping nine times per mic postition. Then, the rest of the speakers pinged five times each, which is as it should be - i believe. BUT, on the opening[/color][/u][/color] series of pings, the LF does not get recorded.
(charts attached)
So- is this a bug? By not starting with the full range LF speaker( as opposed to the smaller ctr) am I losing something important in the measurement process? If setting the LF front as the reference is really important, then i must be losing some part of the data that arc needs.
but - i do not know!

I think you are fine with these Measurements. When ARC complains about a speaker and you tell it to retry it just redoes that one speaker. So the LF Measurements it did just before that were still in there.

I'm not exactly sure what algorithm ARC uses to decide how many times to re-issue the sweep tone at each speaker, but I suspect it just does it until it has enough passes that are close matches to each other (discarding any passes that deviate). So it is likely not important that it did 9 passes for your Center. Or perhaps when you tell it to retry a speaker, as you did with the Center, it throws in a few extra passes for safety.

ARC mutes and un-mutes speakers as it cycles through them -- done via the serial cable commands -- and sometimes the command to un-mute the next speaker doesn't take (thus no sound from that speaker). ARC detects this, complains, and, when you tell it to retry, it un-mutes again which usually does the trick -- as in your case.

The bottom line is that your Measurements are probably fine as is.

--------------------------------------------------

Now, the results you've got are looking promising. First of all, your new sub looks fine all the way down to 20Hz.

You added a note about the RF speaker looking odd, but its red (Measured) curve is just about what I would expect. The LF speaker looks like it is getting some unwanted bass boost -- possibly boundary gain due to wall proximity -- but ARC has taken care of that.

Really all you need to do is reset the the Max EQ Frequency target to a higher value than the 5KHz default and re-Calculate and re-Upload those results (no need to re-Measure).

The Measured curves on all your speakers already look clean enough that you might be able to push that all the way up to 20KHz. But just try a few values and see how high up you can go without additional error wiggles starting to appear at lower frequencies in the green (Calculated) curves.
--Bob

post #17717 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Does anyone know if ARC sets the speaker size to "Large" or "Small"? This setting is not visible. At least, I have not seen it.
post #17718 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

ARC uses the "Advanced" speaker settings that allow the crossovers to be set in detail rather than the simpler Large/Small stuff. [I'm assuming you understand that "Large" vs. "Small" has nothing to do with the physical size of the speaker, but rather whether it is being used as a full frequency range speaker (Large) or as a speaker that is set to roll off at some point in the bass frequencies (Small).]

Simply put, ARC uses a fancy version of "Small" for all the speakers -- setting their crossover, and also the low end of the ARC Room Correction processing -- to best blend with the subwoofer. If you have full range fronts and want to force ARC to use them to their limits (as opposed to what ARC thinks is best), you can do so by adjusting the crossover targets for them in the Targets window to the lowest allowed value (25Hz) and then re-Calculating and re-Uploading the results (no need to re-Measure).

NOTE 1: There is a trick to doing this in the "official" ARC V1.2.5 if you want to set up a 2.0 speaker configuration (just fronts, no subwoofer) for Music. You need to let ARC actually set up a 2.1 configuration, then lower the crossovers for the fronts as described above, then Calculate and Upload those results as a 2.1 configuration, and then go into the Setup menu and manually turn off the subwoofer in the configuration. The need to do this will likely be fixed in the next ARC version.

NOTE 2: The technique for forcing full range speakers on ARC is a little different in the "test" ARC V1.2.13 software due to the separation of the concepts of "crossover" and "cutoff" at the low frequencies, but since that software is still in progress I'll just leave it at this for now.

****>> My recommendation, by the way, is that you do *NOT* try to second guess the decisions that ARC has made about crossovers Targets. <<****
--Bob

post #17719 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

D2v May be Coming!

"Test" ARC V1.2.14 has just appeared on Anthem's password protected download page. The changes from V1.2.5 are shown below. Note the first one!

I'm not sure which V1.2.13 changes survived into V1.2.14. You may recall that when V1.2.13 appeared on this Anthem download page, the release notes were updated only to include some additional items that actually happened in V1.2.12 (or earlier), but which had not been mentioned in the original V1.2.12 release notes.

Quote:
Changes:

v1.2.14:

1. Works with D2v.

v1.2.12:

1. Change to how sub crossover frequency is selected to address cases where the sub is a lot closer to the listener than the center channel, causing dialog to be heard from the sub if its crossover was set high enough.

2. More settings available for configurations not using a subwoofer. Note that while the front channels will be set to Large in the setup menu, ARC will still create a low frequency contour on the room correction target based on response at those frequencies. This cutoff frequency, displayed in the Targets panel, is separate from the bass manager's crossover.

3. The Targets panel also has options for setting the processor's bass manager to run channels at full range. These are best left unchecked, especially for surround channels since surround speakers are usually smaller.

4. Selecting Rears for measurement is not allowed if Surrounds are unselected. (In a 5.1 system use Surround channels, not Rears.)

5. Improved measurement at very low frequencies. Since this relates to frequencies below the lowest note on a bass guitar, it may not make a difference depending on existing in-room response.

6. Improved measurement at very high frequencies.

If you have a file measured with a v1.2 ARC release, no remeasurement is necessary to obtain the above. To convert the file format just open the file with the latest version of ARC, calculate, and upload.

ETA: So far nothing new has appeared in the D2 firmware section of that download page.

ETA 2: So far nothing new has appeared on the web site of the public relations firm Anthem uses for press releases either.

--Bob

post #17720 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

ARC uses the "Advanced" speaker settings that allow the crossovers to be set in detail rather than the simpler Large/Small stuff. [I'm assuming you understand that "Large" vs. "Small" has nothing to do with the physical size of the speaker, but rather whether it is being used as a full frequency range speaker (Large) or as a speaker that is set to roll off at some point in the bass frequencies (Small).]

Simply put, ARC uses a fancy version of "Small" for all the speakers -- setting their crossover, and also the low end of the ARC Room Correction processing -- to best blend with the subwoofer. If you have full range fronts and want to force ARC to use them to their limits (as opposed to what ARC thinks is best), you can do so by adjusting the crossover targets for them in the Targets window to the lowest allowed value (25Hz) and then re-Calculating and re-Uploading the results (no need to re-Measure).

NOTE 1: There is a trick to doing this in the "official" ARC V1.2.5 if you want to set up a 2.0 speaker configuration (just fronts, no subwoofer) for Music. You need to let ARC actually set up a 2.1 configuration, then lower the crossovers for the fronts as described above, then Calculate and Upload those results as a 2.1 configuration, and then go into the Setup menu and manually turn off the subwoofer in the configuration. The need to do this will likely be fixed in the next ARC version.

NOTE 2: The technique for forcing full range speakers on ARC is a little different in the "test" ARC V1.2.13 software due to the separation of the concepts of "crossover" and "cutoff" at the low frequencies, but since that software is still in progress I'll just leave it at this for now.

****>> My recommendation, by the way, is that you do *NOT* try to second guess the decisions that ARC has made about crossovers Targets. <<****
--Bob

Yes, I kind of thought that ARC was setting them to small because my fronts will go down below the 40hz that ARC sets them to; but, I wasn't for sure. Thanks for confirming that for me.
post #17721 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Hah! Found it! CES Press Release on Anthem D2v!

http://www.hometoys.com/news_detail.php?id=13384216

Quote:
UPGRADES TO ANTHEM’S STATEMENT D2V MAKE IT A PROCESSING AND PERFORMANCE SUPERPOWER - VENETIAN TOWER 33-133
For more info visit: http://www.anthemav.com/
More connections, better A/V processing and support for the latest audio formats make v.2 of the acclaimed D2 preamplifier/processor an A/V-phile’s dream.
Submitted to HomeToys.com on: 12/15/2008, 1:14 pm
LAS VEGAS, NV – CES 2009 – January 8-11, 2009 – The Venetian Tower Room 30-133 – Anthem, a leading manufacturer of high-end electronics for music, home theater and distributed audio systems, announces the availability of version 2 of its award-winning Statement D2 audio/video processor. This next-generation model enhances the unparalleled performance features found in its first iteration with serious upgrades.

As a pioneer in the troubleshooting and integration of HDMI™, Anthem knows better than most how to utilize these connections to their fullest. The Statement D2v is equipped with four additional HDMI inputs (for a total of eight) as well as one additional HDMI output (for a total of two), resulting in unprecedented connection capabilities for a preamplifier/processor. All inputs and outputs are HDMI 1.3c and offer Deep-Color support (36-bit) and high-definition audio streaming.

More connections are useful, of course, but performance is king. With that in mind, the Anthem Statement D2v delivers outstanding video enhancement courtesy of the updated VXP® digital image processor. This “latest-generation” processor offers two complete, independent 12-bit channels of professional-grade fully-adaptive deinterlacing. In addition, it includes adaptive 3D noise reduction, mosquito noise reduction, block artifact reduction, adaptive detail enhancement featuring sharpness and texture enhancement with overshoot control, and adaptive contrast enhancement. Its powerful, multi-layered graphics engine allows for sophisticated on-screen display generation that is ideal for electronic program guides (EPG) and set-up menus.

Audio performance on the Statement D2v is has been ramped up to meet the demands of emerging HD audio standards. Two dual-core digital signal processor (DSP) engines offer 800 MIPS (million instructions per second) of processing power to allow eight-channel decoding of new HD audio standards like Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD™ High-Resolution Audio and DTS-HD™ Master Audio. The Anthem Statement D2 v.2 also supports DVD audio in 7.1 format up to 192 kHz.

Anthem’s new Room Correction System (ARC-1™) will also be a standard feature on all Statement D2v preamplifier/processors. While equalizing frequency response in a room to achieve some generic (i.e. "flat") response is a common approach to solving the problem, it will result in an unnatural spectral balance since it does not take into account the human hearing system. Anthem's approach is a true audiophile solution: Anthem Room Correction differs from other systems in that it uses proprietary processing to compute each speaker's in-room frequency response and then computes a target frequency response for each to yield the optimal sound.

Estimated FMV for the Anthem Statement D2v is $7999. For more information, please visit www.anthemav.com.

*Key features of VXP™ technology include:

• Superior image quality using per-pixel processing.
• Very robust film mode detection.
• TruMotionHD™ Adaptive De-Interlacing to ensure optimal image sharpness and picture resolution when converting 480i, 576i and 1080i inputs to progressive scan.
• FineEdge™ Dynamic Directional Interpolation to eliminate jaggy artifacts (i.e. temporal distortion) found in traditional de-interlacing algorithms.
• FidelityEngine™ Image Enhancements to remove unwanted noise and improve detail.
• RealityExpansion™ True 10-Bit Image Processing for eye-catching natural imagery.

Anthem, part of the Paradigm Group, is a leading manufacturer of award-winning high-end electronics for music, home theater and distributed sound systems sold internationally under the brand names Anthem™ and Anthem™ Statement. Anthem™ products are used at all levels of music reproduction and allow you to virtually "be there" every time you listen to a favorite piece of recorded music or experience the excitement of surround-sound home theater. Headquarters are in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

I don't see any changes from the info they released at CEDIA back in September -- other than settling on the name "D2v".

--Bob

post #17722 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Here's another CES press release, this time from Paradigm, talking about their new "Reference Signature Sub 25", which, perhaps confusingly, is a 15" cone-size entry into the $4000 sub category:

http://www.hometoys.com/news_detail.php?id=17770371

Note this snippet from near the end of the release:

Quote:
An optional yet valuable add-on for the SUB 25 is Paradigm’s Perfect Bass Kit (PBK-1™) interface, a state-of-the-art room correction system derived from sister company Anthem Electronics’ acclaimed ARC-1™ system. PBK-1 uses proprietary processing to compute in-room frequency response of up to four different SUB 25s before computing a target frequency response for each, yielding optimized in-room reproduction of low frequencies.

The release shows a $299 price for the PBK-1. I've not been able to find out if this is another piece of electronics (in addition to a Windows application), or if the necessary hardware is already built into the sub and you are just paying for the software license and microphone stuff.
--Bob

post #17723 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

started setting up my Harmony 880 again.

Earlier to verify my statement about adding a d2 with zone 2 in the model I left it like that. Just now I went and deleted the original d2 and readded it to start setting it up again. It then immediatly told me that this device can be used in multiple rooms or zones and provides check boxes and text boxes to select and name the 3 zones. This looks promising and perhaps I don't need to add the d2 as a second device to get zone 2.

Hal
post #17724 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

That sounds promising indeed! Let us know how it works out.
--Bob

post #17725 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info Bob. I hope it's 100% better than the D2 because at 50% off I'll be upgrading for sure.

Is it possible to fall in love with a processor?

post #17726 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, I didn't bother. I use the 880 and I set it up using the computer no problem. I use the Harmony for all the basic functions. Turning stuff on and off, switching between sources and of course volume settings. The Harmony is pretty much used 95% of the time. However when I need to get into the actual internal settings of the D2 I just grab the actual D2 remote and do what I have to do.

That's likely easier than trying to set the Harmony up to do all the technical stuff you'll hardly ever use.

The reason I buy a relatively expensive universal remote is to be able to put my other remotes away and forget about them.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #17727 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That sounds promising indeed! Let us know how it works out.
--Bob

The zone 2 and zone 3 boxes appear to be reversed when you label them on the setup site. For example if I check "room 2" when I go to the next step it says it's on statement d2 zone 3 and vice versa. I'm not home until tomorrow so can't verify if it's just the labeling or if the controls are actually reversed. I would say it's a bug on the logitech site.
post #17728 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm surprised that Logitech/Harmony has not updated their database for the D2 yet to fix this.

Yes, level two support can change the code on those buttons so that press-and-hold works correctly. There's no way you can fix this yourself.

-------------------------------------------------

The three problems I had to get level two to fix for my Harmony 880's D2 device conifiguration were:

1) Addition of the the various 3-key input selectors (e.g., DVD2). The ability of users to add such selectors on their own was taken out of the Harmony setup stuff early last year.

2) Press-and-hold buttons such as the setup menu, the audio mode, and the "7" key.

3) Adjusting the codes for volume up/down and the 4 arrow keys so that they didn't advance by multiple steps with each press. This was needed when Harmony made some sort of firmware change for the remote last summer that appears to make it use a "repeat count" on those buttons even when the configuration has repeat count set to 0 or 1. This may only be an 880 problem and may even be fixed generically by now (I haven't updated my 880 firmware in many months).

If you have had your Harmony configuration for a while (i.e., you had another Harmony prior to getting your new One), it may be that you will get updated stuff in the D2 definition simply by deleting that device from your configuration and re-entering it as a new device. Of course that means you will need to re-attach it to all of your activities which is a nuisance.
--Bob

Tech 2 support at Harmony took care of the hold feature. Discovering other issues as I delve deeper, but I'm sure they'll get resolved.....thanks

post #17729 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Here's another CES press release, this time from Paradigm, talking about their new "Reference Signature Sub 25", which, perhaps confusingly, is a 15" cone-size entry into the $4000 sub category:

http://www.hometoys.com/news_detail.php?id=17770371

Note this snippet from near the end of the release:

The release shows a $299 price for the PBK-1. I've not been able to find out if this is another piece of electronics (in addition to a Windows application), or if the necessary hardware is already built into the sub and you are just paying for the software license and microphone stuff.
--Bob

I heard from a rep that the arc1 owners won't need the PBK-1, we just use the acr1 for the sub 25. This software will be avalible for none Anthem owners.

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #17730 of 42942 Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quite correct. If you have ARC you don't also need PBK. I just found it interesting that Paradigm has found another way to package this technology. Of course ARC is superior because it also corrects the main speakers.
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page