post #18361 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

Add me to the list - it has always done this on my PS3. Blank/Snow/Blank/Snow........Sync.

Sometimes it takes longer than others.

Mike

I've had that happen also. I didn't know to just wait it out. I've always just switched the source back to Sat for a second then back to the source I'm using for the PS3 and it always fixed the blank/snow issue right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18362 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Bob, I cannot locate my digital camera to post a picture yet, but at about 9:15 PM last evening I installed my new D2v and the display shined with a nice blue 2.02.

And, the D2v comes with a 15' serial cable. I do not know how long Anthem has been doing that, but my original D2 w/ARC did not include a serial cable. This is a nice inclusion.

That's good enough for me. Here, have a cookie!

The addition of a serial cable is a nice touch. This is the first we've heard that they changed the pack out for the D2v. Would you like a nice glass of milk to go with that?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18363 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

D2v: 7499 USD or 7999 CAD
AVM 50v: 5499 USD or 5899 CAD

I have no clue on how much the upgrade will cost. We will know in a few weeks.

Tolstoi, I know you are not a dealer. Just how confident are you in these pricings? For example have you heard this direct from Anthem, or seen a dealer price list? And do you have any new info on whether this is promotional pricing that's about to go higher?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18364 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

ETA: I got the 15' serial cable with my D2 that was shipped early December 08. The included cable isn't something new to the D2v.

Interesting! I wonder when they changed the pack out?

I just checked the manuals and, indeed, the D2 manual lists a serial cable as part of the main unit pack out, and the D2v and AVM 50v manuals list a serial cable as part of the ARC-1 pack out (bundled with the main unit).
--Bob

post #18365 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Everyone! Been reading for a while but this is my first official post (woo hoo!).

I just ordered an AVM50v from my local dealer and I can confirm that he quoted me $5499.00 - needless to say I pushed for a discount (which I received) because I thought all AVMs were on sale as per the Anthem site.

As posted earlier, the unit is expected to ship out on 2/3 and I CAN NOT WAIT to set it up. I also ordered an A5 and new B&W speakers (804s and HTM3S) so, with luck, my new system will good to go by this time next week.

Hope this helps!
Shawn
post #18366 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I'd appreciate some clarification on PCM/Bitstream.

I will be upgrading to the D2v. 7.1 PCM is a must. Right now my theater is 5.1 but I want to add the additional two channels.

This is where things get cloudy for me. Right now I'm using the PS3 as my BD player. I've spent hours here at AVS reading about slow loading players and disc's that won't load at all. The PS3 is bulky but it's fast and I've never feed it a bluray it couldn't play. So for now I'm perfectly happy with it.

How will you set up your D2v? Would you go 7.1 PCM or will you send the signal bitstream? I know the PS3 can't do that but I think I'll replace the PS3 with the new Oppo once it's released. That's assuming its getting positive reviews once it's out in the real world. The oppo is a great example because with it you can choose PCM or bitstream. Which would you/should I choose?

(btw, my gut says PCM... am I right???)

I continue to recommend that people buy a player that does the decoding, and use it to send 7.1 channel HDMI LPCM to the D2v or AVM 50v.

The PS3 does this just fine.
--Bob

post #18367 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr_269 View Post

What a timely topic. My PS3 has been acting this way since I got it, two years. I've got an AVM50 with V1.33, the PS3 was just upgraded to firmware 2.6, and the cables are all Blue Jeans Cable BJC Belden Series-1, from the PS3 to AVM50 to my Plasma, aPioneer Elite PRO-FHD1. I have two outputs setup, one for 60, one for 24, for games and movies respectively. The PS3 model is the original 80-gig version.

The handshake goes the same each time no matter the AMV50 output selected, several seconds of the display switching between blank screen and snow. I have tried reinstalling the firmware a few times, even going back to factory default and setting up manually, no dice.

At least the latest PS3 firmware fixed an issue I had playing Blu-ray Sleeping Beauty. You can image how how happy my 3 yr old is :-)

One other odd handshake I have very infrequently is with my Oppo DV-970HD. (Also at the latest firmware.) I see two issues. The first is that video starts but no sound, the second is the a loud annoying tone starts and the only way out is cycling the power on the DVD and AVM50. Both seems to happen right after handshake. Since these are so infrequent I have not figured out a definitive pattern.

Any other suggestions on the PS3?

Keith

An HDMI handshake happens every time the video format changes between two devices -- for example when the resolution changes or when the frame rate changes.

An HDMI handshake takes about 2 seconds -- this is just the way HDMI works. If a retry is needed it will take longer.

During the handshake, the video will go out in various ways: Black screen or green screen or static screen. Exactly what happens to the video depends upon how the source device does the handshake.

Some devices actually end up doing TWO handshakes -- one for video and another for video plus audio. You only see the video go out during the first of those, but audio starts up a couple seconds after video starts up.

The PS3 is not unique in this, but it does have another way it changes video format: The PS3 (using recommended settings) switches between YCbCr output when playing Blu-Ray or standard DVDs and RGB output when showing the XMB user interface or playing most games. Check the Video Source Adjust > Info panel on the Anthem to see what you are getting at any point in time.

The squeal and audio problem from your older Oppo is, I believe, a known problem in that Oppo which I think has been corrected by a firmware update from Oppo, but I'm not sure of this.

The HDMI handshake from the source all the way to the display is driven by the source device. About the only thing the Anthem can do is force a retry. Thus most HDMI issues, at root, are due to flakey HDMI implementation in source devices. But the couple seconds loss of video during each handshake is just the way HDMI works. Blame an industry obsessed with copy protection.
--Bob

post #18368 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I've had that happen also. I didn't know to just wait it out. I've always just switched the source back to Sat for a second then back to the source I'm using for the PS3 and it always fixed the blank/snow issue right away.

If retries are happening, cycling the inputs on the Anthem forces a whole new handshake and often results in a good lock the first try.

However I've not had any problems with my PS3 completing the handshake properly after just a few seconds. It is the most stable of all the HDMI devices I've tried. If you are getting into long retry cycles with a PS3 -- 10 seconds or longer for example -- then you should revisit your cabling and how firmly the HDMI plugs are sitting in their sockets.
--Bob

post #18369 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnboston View Post

Hi Everyone! Been reading for a while but this is my first official post (woo hoo!).

I just ordered an AVM50v from my local dealer and I can confirm that he quoted me $5499.00 - needless to say I pushed for a discount (which I received) because I thought all AVMs were on sale as per the Anthem site.

As posted earlier, the unit is expected to ship out on 2/3 and I CAN NOT WAIT to set it up. I also ordered an A5 and new B&W speakers (804s and HTM3S) so, with luck, my new system will good to go by this time next week.

Hope this helps!
Shawn

Thanks for that Shawn! And welcome to the cool kids thread!
--Bob

post #18370 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If retries are happening, cycling the inputs on the Anthem forces a whole new handshake and often results in a good lock the first try.

However I've not had any problems with my PS3 completing the handshake properly after just a few seconds. It is the most stable of all the HDMI devices I've tried. If you are getting into long retry cycles with a PS3 -- 10 seconds or longer for example -- then you should revisit your cabling and how firmly the HDMI plugs are sitting in their sockets.
--Bob

No I wouldn't say I'm getting into long retry cycles with the PS3. It's happened but only a few times. Like maybe three times?!

(totally off topic but my wife and I put the little guy down to sleep, popped a few bowls of popcorn, went down to the home theater and really enjoyed Forgetting Sarah Marshal last night. Us home theater people are so lucky. We have our very own escape without having to leave the house)
post #18371 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Tolstoi, I know you are not a dealer. Just how confident are you in these pricings? For example have you heard this direct from Anthem, or seen a dealer price list? And do you have any new info on whether this is promotional pricing that's about to go higher?
--Bob

This is the numbers I keep hearing but as you mentionne in one of your previous posts we need a delear to confirm this.

More important we need a price for the upgrade...
post #18372 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnboston View Post

Hope this helps!
Shawn

This is great. Let us know when youwill recieve it.
post #18373 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just talked to my Dealer about prices for the new Vs and they are the same as Tolstoi mentioned earlier.
D2V $7999 CDN
AVM50V $5899 CDN
This should serve as confirmation of the new prices. No upgrade price yet.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #18374 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be honest with you, I sort of have to upgrade to the D2v. When I purchased the D2 in early December I had decided the D2 would be all I'd need. I got the D2 for less than half of what the new D2v would be selling for. It was a deal too good to pass up. Then Anthem threw a wrench into the plan when they included a coupon for 50% off the D2v upgrade. The sale is only good for a year. A D2 for less than half price and 50% off the cost of the upgrade! How can I not take advantage of that?

Since you only need a D2 I will sacrifice myself and take your 50% D2V upgrade coupon for a cheap price.
post #18375 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Just talked to my Dealer about prices for the new Vs and they are the same as Tolstoi mentioned earlier.
D2V $7999 CDN
AVM50V $5899 CDN
This should serve as confirmation of the new prices. No upgrade price yet.
John

This solve the price issue. Now lets wait for the cost of the upgrade.
post #18376 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

...if a dealer doesn't post soon, I'm going to eat that cookie myself...

There's still a cookie for the first person to install ARC and verify that a new D2v or AVM 50v has ARC V2.0.1 (or later) bundled with it.

And of course there's also a cookie for the first person to power up a new AVM 50v and report which version of firmware comes factory installed in it.
--Bob

post #18377 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

For anyone who received one of the first batch of D2v units with firmware V2.00 factory installed: Since we've now confirmed that new D2v units are shipping with firmware V2.02 factory installed, I believe it is safe for folks to upgrade to that version.

This is a little scary since there is no V2.00 installer available to reverse this, but I'm sure Anthem tech support will deal with that if it becomes an issue for anyone.

AVM 50v owners may want to wait until we confirm new AVM 50v units are also being shipped with V2.02 factory installed.

We still don't know what changes were made between V2.00 and V2.02 except for one report that V2.02 is supposed to fix a problem with audio dropouts when listening to HDMI LPCM from the PS3.

Firmware V2.02 for the D2v and the AVM 50v is currently only available from Anthem's password protected download page. Presumably it will show up soon on the public download page -- possibly as part of a larger update presenting the D2v and AVM 50v on Anthem's web site. If you need it before that, and don't already have access to Anthem's tech support downloads, contact Anthem tech support for the access info.

NOTE 1: Firmware for the original D2 and AVM 50 units remains V1.33 for now.

NOTE 2: Any D2v or AVM 50v owner with access to the password protected download page should NAB A COPY OF V2.02 NOW even if you don't intend to install it right away. Then if a NEWER version of the firmware becomes available you will already have V2.02 as your fallback version in case something nasty goes wrong with the newer version. Don't wait on this as V2.02 may very well be removed from the download page when the newer version appears.
--Bob

post #18378 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

That's good enough for me. Here, have a cookie!

The addition of a serial cable is a nice touch. This is the first we've heard that they changed the pack out for the D2v. Would you like a nice glass of milk to go with that?
--Bob

2% Please.
LL

Stan
post #18379 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

2% Please.

2% What?
post #18380 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

Since you only need a D2 I will sacrifice myself and take your 50% D2V upgrade coupon for a cheap price.

Seeing as I don't need it I would give it to you but... the boys at Anthem are too smart for that. The coupon has my units serial number on it. I'm assuming that means my unit only!
post #18381 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seeing as I don't need it I would give it to you but... the boys at Anthem are too smart for that. The coupon has my units serial number on it. I'm assuming that means my unit only!

Yes - I'm sure they are too smart for the OLD COUPON SWITCH TRICK
post #18382 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

2% What?

Milk.

Keep up
post #18383 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes - I'm sure they are too smart for the OLD COUPON SWITCH TRICK

BTW, I'm kidding I wouldn't sell or give up my precious coupon! I have it put away in a very safe place.
post #18384 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderv6 View Post

Milk.

Keep up

That was my thought.

Stan SPILLED 2% Milk on his new D2v2
post #18385 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

As any sports fan knows, you are supposed to PUT YOUR DRINKS DOWN before doing the wave....

--Bob

post #18386 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

The "Factory Authorized Sale" banner has now been removed from the Anthem Statement and Anthem AVM web sites.

However the sites continue to only show info on the original D2 and AVM 50 models.
--Bob

post #18387 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

As any sports fan knows, you are supposed to PUT YOUR DRINKS DOWN before doing the wave....

--Bob

Sorry Bob us Canucks we drink first, then wave, then order an other drink

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #18388 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

Sorry Bob us Canucks we drink first, then wave, then order an other drink

That's not entirely true. Sometimes we'll bite down on the cup and just hold it with our teeth as we do the wave. And we will not spill a drop!
post #18389 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That was my thought.

Stan SPILLED 2% Milk on his new D2v2

92% Vodka would definitely be an issue.

By the way, my decision to upgrade to the D2v was based upon my ability to pre-sell my existing D2 at a good price to a local purchaser (no need to play the Audiogon game), the result of which is that the purchaser got a wonderful pre-pro and I have a new D2v at a price that should be substantially less than the upgrade price and will also save me from being D2less for a month, and having a unit that had mixed warranties throughout.

One has to jump to sell very quickly in this changing AV world. I do remain confident that the value of existing D2's will not diminish greatly as decoding lossless in the player and sending pcm to the pre-pro does work just fine. We have all been doing so for some time now.

Stan
post #18390 of 43014 Old 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not me i have one of those hats that holds a drink on each side with a straw going to my mouth. Actually im waving,drinking and writing this post all at the same time......
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page