Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

Since Anthem haven't started to provide D2 to D2v upgrades in 220v for international shipping I would like to know if someone here (Bob maybe?) knows if they are planning to release a new firmware for the D2 soon? One that would, finally after almost 7 months, solve the HDMI handshake with HTPC's.
And BTW, since I am actually waiting for a green light for upgrade from my local distributor, can any D2v owner here share his experience on the matter (providing he is connecting an HTPC to the D2v!)?

Thank you

Anthem is currently working on a V1.34 firmware release for the D2 and AVM 50. I also know that Anthem is still working on the new HDMI code for the D2 and AVM 50 that was released for testing for a short while last summer.

I don't know if that new HDMI code will make it into the V1.34 firmware.

I don't have an HTPC setup so I can't test with my D2v. But keep in mind that most of the HTPC HDMI handshake problems that have been reported appear to be flakey HDMI implementation in the HTPC, so it is not clear that even new code from Anthem can fix this. Many posters have reported that the Gefen DVI Detective product placed in the HDMI signal path helps a lot by forcing the HTPC to see only a limited set of HDMI configuration information and shielding the Anthem from what the HTPC is doing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #19083 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

I listened to "Hairspray" Blu-Ray last night and for the first time I found a Blu-Ray where "test" ARC V2.0.1.1 did not produce satisfactory results.

The bass was overemphasized and the Center channel sounded muddy.

I believe the problem with bass is in the steered bass from the main speakers rather than the LFE channel.

It may be significant that this is a 7.1 track (DTS-HD MA 7.1 decoded to HDMI LPCM in the PS3).

In any event, what I got from my older D2 with ARC V2.0.1 sounded much better.

ETA: Reported to Anthem.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #19084 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bob,
I'll try that later.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #19085 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Anthem is currently working on a V1.34 firmware release for the D2 and AVM 50. I also know that Anthem is still working on the new HDMI code for the D2 and AVM 50 that was released for testing for a short while last summer.

I don't know if that new HDMI code will make it into the V1.34 firmware.

I don't have an HTPC setup so I can't test with my D2v. But keep in mind that most of the HTPC HDMI handshake problems that have been reported appear to be flakey HDMI implementation in the HTPC, so it is not clear that even new code from Anthem can fix this. Many posters have reported that the Gefen DVI Detective product placed in the HDMI signal path helps a lot by forcing the HTPC to see only a limited set of HDMI configuration information and shielding the Anthem from what the HTPC is doing.
--Bob

I have a HTPC, and for what what it's worth I haven't had any problems after letting it settle in with the D2v. I've been playing SD DVD's and BD's, as well as HD MPEG's and AVCHD's with no problems at all.

In fact, I was all worried about 24p passthrough, but the VP in the D2v is so darn good, that the upconverting of 24p to 60p is seamless and I can't detect any judder (and I'm generally very sensitive to incorrect 24p implementation stutter, or 24p to non-24 multiple stutter).

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #19086 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:

The PS3 issue is a known problem with streaming audio through the PS3. It sends stereo content out as multi-channel but with only the LF/RF channels actually having any content -- i.e., it is still stereo but embedded in more channels.

The Anthem has no way to know the other channels aren't real, and so it provides no audio modes since they are used for raising 2 channel input or 5.1 channel input (not 7.1 channel input) to a larger number of speakers for output.

Originally, the PS3 had this problem for all sorts of stereo content (e.g. CDs as well), but recent firmware releases have fixed it for some of those. If you are not already on the V2.60 PS3 firmware you should upgrade and see if your problem goes away. Various workarounds have been discussed in the PS3 FAQ sticky thread -- mostly involving turning off the high sampling rate (176KHz and 192KHz) output options for multi-channel but leaving them on for stereo. Apparently the PS3 sees that and switches to sending out stereo content as high sampling rate stereo. But I haven't actually played with that stuff myself.

---------------------------------------------

Your problem with the on-screen Video Source Adjust menu in your AVM 50v sounds like a bug. Contact Anthem tech support and they will likely suggest you install the V2.02c(13feb) "test" firmware.

D2v and AVM 50v firmware versions older than the V2.02c(13feb) "test" firmware have a known bug in YCbCr gray scale input processing. You can adjust for that temporarily using the Video Source Adjust > Picture controls, or switch to RGB input, or install the "test" firmware.
--Bob

Thanks Bob (and everyone else),

As it turns out, I can't access any of the audio signal processing modes for any audio source (streaming audio, blu ray, etc.) coming out of my PS3. I am going to try a couple of things (dig optical cable, sampling rates) and I will let you know how things turn out. I have the latest PS3 software (2.60) so I'm eliminating that as a solution for now.
post #19087 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quick question....

Is the ARC contained in a separate box or is it packaged all together as 1 in the D2...?

TIA.....

Patrick
post #19088 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnboston View Post

Thanks Bob (and everyone else),

As it turns out, I can't access any of the audio signal processing modes for any audio source (streaming audio, blu ray, etc.) coming out of my PS3. I am going to try a couple of things (dig optical cable, sampling rates) and I will let you know how things turn out. I have the latest PS3 software (2.60) so I'm eliminating that as a solution for now.

Understand that the audio modes you can enable depend upon:

1) The number of speakers you have configured,

2) The type of audio input currently in use, and

3) Whether THX audio post processing is turned on.

For example if you are listening to a 5.1 channel input and only have a 5.1 speaker configuration, then there are no audio modes you can get to (other than THX post processing). The audio modes provide different ways to raise the input to a larger number of speakers for output, so if you only have 5.1 speakers there's no work for them to do when you play a 5.1 channel input.

If you had 7.1 speakers you would find various audio modes available to raise the 5.1 channel input to 7.1 speaker output.

And if you play 2 channel input you will find even more audio modes available for raising that to 5.1 or 7.1 speaker output.

At the other extreme, modes like Mono Academy are only available if THX post processing is turned off. In general, if you think an audio surround mode should be available but it isn't being offered when you cycle through the available modes, try checking whether you have THX turned on.

The charts in the manual go a long way towards explaining this, but you need the extra bit of info that the surround modes are only available when the number of input channels is less than the number of speakers for output since otherwise there is no work for a surround mode to do.

To see what audio modes are available at any moment in time, press Mode once on the remote and then use the Up and Down arrows to cycle through what's available. You can use the Setup > Mode Presets menu for each source device to set the "default" audio mode for each type of audio input coming in from that source.
--Bob

post #19089 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Quick question....

Is the ARC contained in a separate box or is it packaged all together as 1 in the D2...?

TIA.....

Patrick

The D2v and AVM 50v have ARC packaged inside the main box with the unit itself. The pieces of the ARC kit are packaged in their own box that is placed above the unit inside the main box. There is also an "accessories" box in there with things like the power cord and remote(s). I'm pretty sure the pack out for the D2 has been done this way as well for recent shipments of the D2.
--Bob

post #19090 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Jayray,
On the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray issue, be aware that I have a 5.1 speaker configuration.

When I play a 7.1 channel HDMI LPCM input with the V2.02c(13feb) firmware in my D2v, the Setup displays indicate that a non-existent Center Rear speaker is active.

So there is definitely something screwed up in 7.1 channel input played into 5.1 speakers. But I don't know if that is related to the out of balance bass and muddy center that I was hearing when playing this disc.
--Bob

post #19091 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick question....

TIA.....

Patrick

Good to see you over here, Warp...

The D2v is amazing, and with the Sigs (and P2/P5), it's really incredible.

ARC gives you so much infomation to fix room acoustic problems, and then it's able to correct for the rest, that the end resulting sound is just what these Sigs deserve.

And yes, the ARC comes with a new D2v. It includes a mic, long USB cable, long serial cable, and a mic stand (although Bob's recommendation to get the better boom-mic stand is a good idea).

post #19092 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are a couple bugs in the Setup > Level Calibration menu in the firmware you have that will get in the way of doing what I describe below. To get access to the V2.02c firmware you will need to give Anthem tech support a call on Tuesday (Canada is closed this Monday). There's no rush to fix this speaker level stuff since ARC found a workable solution for you anyway.

You'll find a lot of useful info in the post links collected in the first post of this thread.

The "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post is the place to start for video setup tips.

There are rather a lot of ARC related links, but most of the posts are short. You'll find lots of tips for setup in them. It looks like what happened is that your sub's internal volume is set too high -- enough that ARC couldn't correct it just by lowering its volume trim setting. So ARC raised your other speakers so it could allow more output from the sub and still balance things out within the available trim range.

The way you fix this is the setup step that I was alluding to. Go into Setup > Level Calibration and zero everything out. Set test mode to Manual in the first line. Now adjust just the Test Volume line until you get an SPL reading near 75dB (audio will be coming from the LF speaker). Now go down to the subwoofer line (which is still set to 0dB) and leaving that line unchanged, use the volume control built into your subwoofer to get an SPL reading of 75dB from it as well. Ballpark settings are fine here -- ARC will do the fine adjustment.

Now do your ARC Measurements. ARC uses the Test Level line to set the volume of its sweep tones, and your adjustment of the sub's built in volume insures that it is reasonably close to what the main speakers will produce even before ARC needs to trim it up. ARC will set the correct speaker volume trims when you do your Upload.
--Bob

1) I can confirm that, at least on my setup, the beta firmware does fix the black-level issues I was having. (However NUMBER3 this past Friday was rediculously dark, in a court room that was mostly shadows; a great episode to see if you're getting good contrast, but very annoying otherwise.)

2) I fixed the gain on my sub - thanks. Noobie mistake on my part.

3) ARC just rocks. So I've been moving my speakers around, and improved a bunch. Just moving my sub further out from the wall a few inches has added substantially to the 20-30hz output! And I've been moving my LF around, and while there's still a big 200hz dip, it's now to the point where ARC can correct it.

I'm going to remeasure everything, and then I have to put in those corner traps I've been putting off for months. I'm betting that will improve the 200hz issue even more.

(And I also need to redo the doors to my HT - thanks ARC! They are double doors, and the right one opens, left one semi-fixed. But it looks like if I pull my sub out to in the way of the right door, I'll get even better below-30hz response... so now I need to reconfigure the doors to the left one can open with the right one semi-fixed!)

post #19093 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

More on the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray issue with D2v, V2.02c(13feb) "test" firmware, and V2.0.1.1 "test" ARC, a DTS-HD MA 7.1 track played as HDMI LPCM 7.1 from the PS3 into my 5.1 speaker configuration:

(That's a lot of detail, but it is best to be precise when reporting stuff like this.)

I just did an experiment to see if the Setup > Source Setup > Room EQ setting was functioning in this case. There is definitely a change between Room EQ ON and OFF.

With Room EQ ON the LF/RF/LS/RS speakers sound properly corrected. But the bass is definitely overemphasized and I *THINK* what's going on is that correction is not being applied to the Center speaker.

The boominess in bass is in the upper bass or low mid-range frequencies so it may be a problem specific to steered bass as opposed to the LFE. But the sections I was playing likely don't have a lot of LFE so there may be a problem in LFE as well.

As stated earlier, the Select display shows a non-existent Center Rear speaker is also active.

A good example is the theme song that starts the Corny Collins show (about a minute or so into chapter 2).
--Bob

post #19094 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

1) I can confirm that, at least on my setup, the beta firmware does fix the black-level issues I was having. (However NUMBER3 this past Friday was rediculously dark, in a court room that was mostly shadows; a great episode to see if you're getting good contrast, but very annoying otherwise.)

2) I fixed the gain on my sub - thanks. Noobie mistake on my part.

3) ARC just rocks. So I've been moving my speakers around, and improved a bunch. Just moving my sub further out from the wall a few inches has added substantially to the 20-30hz output! And I've been moving my LF around, and while there's still a big 200hz dip, it's now to the point where ARC can correct it.

I'm going to remeasure everything, and then I have to put in those corner traps I've been putting off for months. I'm betting that will improve the 200hz issue even more.

(And I also need to redo the doors to my HT - thanks ARC! They are double doors, and the right one opens, left one semi-fixed. But it looks like if I pull my sub out to in the way of the right door, I'll get even better below-30hz response... so now I need to reconfigure the doors to the left one can open with the right one semi-fixed!)

ARC: An essential tool for the sophisticated room redecorator!

--Bob

post #19095 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, just to confirm corner acoustics would do something, I tossed a couple of big 3x3 soft throw/floor pillows we have into the corners, just smushed in the middle, all bent and not really doing what corner traps should do.

Well, it reduced my 200hz issue to nominal, and now that dip looks no worse than any other dip/spike, of just a few db!

Guess I'm doing a couple of corner traps tomorrow...

post #19096 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

You will probably discover that this is just a setup error on the video input side for this source.

While viewing this source, bring up the Video Source Adjust menu (press and hold the "7" key) and scroll right to the Info panel. Look at what you are getting for video input. It should be YCbCr 4:4:4. If it is RGB, look for the setting in your set top box to change that.

For the Motorola boxes typically used by cable companies, this is in a special menu. Use the set top box remote to power it off. Then while still powered off, press the Menu button to bring up the special menu in the Motorola box. Then go to HDMI settings. After adjusting, press Menu again to save those settings and then Power to power up the set top box again.

Next, bring up Video Source Adjust again and go to Picture > Input Color Space. The Auto YCbCr and Studio RGB lines should both be checked. If your set top box only offers RGB output then switching between Studio RGB and Extended RGB in here may be the fix you need.

Once all that is right, the adjustments in Video Source Adjust > Picture can be used to fine tune for the video input coming from that set top box.

Be sure to read the "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post found in the links in the first post of this thread for the basics of video setup. Since your display is professionally calibrated, the internal test patterns from the Anthem (Video Source Adjust > Patterns) should already look correct without you having to tweak anything on the display. If not, then you need to check what you are using in the output side of the Anthem's settings, i.e., in Setup > Video Output.

Keep in mind that you can define 4 separate Video Output configurations. The Setup > Source Setup definition for each source device identifies which Video Output configuration should be used when playing that source. Make sure you have the correct one identified for each source -- in particular for any source that is showing screwy video results.
--Bob

post #19097 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jayray,
On the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray issue, be aware that I have a 5.1 speaker configuration.

When I play a 7.1 channel HDMI LPCM input with the V2.02c(13feb) firmware in my D2v, the Setup displays indicate that a non-existent Center Rear speaker is active.

So there is definitely something screwed up in 7.1 channel input played into 5.1 speakers. But I don't know if that is related to the out of balance bass and muddy center that I was hearing when playing this disc.
--Bob

Bob,
I don't have Hairspray but will try with another 7.1 bluray. I do have two back channels so perhaps there won't be a direct comparison but I will try anyway.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #19098 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Wow, just to confirm corner acoustics would do something, I tossed a couple of big 3x3 soft throw/floor pillows we have into the corners, just smushed in the middle, all bent and not really doing what corner traps should do.

Well, it reduced my 200hz issue to nominal, and now that dip looks no worse than any other dip/spike, of just a few db!

Guess I'm doing a couple of corner traps tomorrow...

Another reason why home redecorators just LOVE throw pillows!

I'm glad this stuff is working out so well for you. When you get the results you finally decide to stick with, be sure to post your new charts -- or even before and after charts to show what can be done with ARC and some room set up adjustments!
--Bob

post #19099 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Bob,
I don't have Hairspray but will try with another 7.1 bluray. I do have two back channels so perhaps there won't be a direct comparison but I will try anyway.
John

If you don't find a problem, do me a favor and temporarily set Setup > Speaker Configuration > Movie > Rears to NONE and try again. I'm pretty sure you can use the same ARC setup you already have loaded. Thanks!
--Bob

post #19100 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

More info on the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray 7.1 channel input problem:

With the D2v, the Automatic HDMI setup in the PS3 enables 7.1 channel HDMI LPCM output. But you can go into the Manual setup and clear the check boxes for the 7.1 output options (and then accept that change with the right arrow).

I did that and it appears to completely fix the problem I was hearing in the Center speaker.

In addition, the bass no longer sounds boomy. There is still more bass from "test" ARC V2.0.1.1 than I'm used to from ARC V2.0.1, but it sounds more like proper balance across the high bass to low mid-range transition so it is probably correct.

At a guess, I think this will turn out to be a bug in the D2v's V2.02c(13feb) "test" firmware rather than in the V2.0.1.1 "test" ARC software.

In any event, for others using the PS3, if you don't have a 7.1 speaker configuration, consider going into Settings > Sound Settings in the PS3, selecting HDMI and then the Manual option, and clearing the check boxes for each of the several 7.1 channel audio output options at the bottom of the list. Then click Right Arrow to accept those changes and then "X" to save the changes.

It is best to do this with audio muted on the D2v to make sure you don't hear distorted audio when the change happens (the XMB itself also uses 7.1 channel output if that's enabled). After making the change, switch the D2v to a different input and back to the PS3 and everything should be fine.

Set this way, the PS3 will do the down mix of 7.1 tracks to 5.1 channel output and the D2v will see no more than 5.1 channel input from the PS3.

It is likely that folks with 7.1 speaker setups don't need to do anything here, but perhaps we'll learn more after Jayray gives it a try.

All of this has been reported to Anthem.
--Bob

post #19101 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

my Anthem D2v is on its way!!!!
post #19102 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post

Thank you for the input Bob. The strange this is the sub is only a year old. Maybe I bought a bad one.

ps1000 paradigm 10 130 watt

From this review of the the system that contains the PS-1000 sub, it looks as if the Anthem's ARC is remarkably accurate; so you didn't get a bad one, it's just that the sub wasn't designed to put out any meaningful sound pressure below 30Hz.

See the top of page 3 of the review. HERE
post #19103 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Can the cross over on the mains and sub be adjusted when running in ARC (Room Eq) mode? If so how?

What's the latest stable version of ARC and Anthem AVM 50 software? I'm running 1.33 for the AVM50 and the first version of ARC (I believe 1.21).

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but I'm the one who was having all the issues with the surronds and the sub. I took Bob's recommendation and upgraded the sub to (2) SVS PS-13's and it made a HUGE difference.

As for the high's still rolling off of the surrounds at 3k, we brought in some other sound equipment and it see's the surrounds operating up to 12k. I'm now wondering if the ARC software freaks out with Dipoles that are flush mounted. I'd like to try a new version of ARC to see if it changes the measurements.

As for my desire to mess with the crossover; ARC is crossing my main's and sub at 40hz. I'd like to get some of the mid sub (40 to 60hz) on to the sub. Does anyone have any suggestions? While my mains test down to 40hz, they don't have the punch the sub does. Right now my sub only plays between 15 - 40 hz.

Thanks!

Big Tex
post #19104 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok just tried Golden Compass with 7.1. I have 7.1 setup and heard nothing but wonderful surround sound. I then turned off my back speakers. Select showed I was getting 7.1 coming in and a Rear Centre showed up in the output display. Sound was fine and no distortion from centre front and bass was fine and LFE was solid. So if you have a 7.1 setup do as Bob suggests and leave it alone, it works fine.
I did notice something else in the select display. Now it does'nt say
"24/192 Khz Digital Muted. The Digital Muted part of the display is gone and has been added to a large "COPY PROTECTED" DIGITAL MUTED message. I found this confusing when I first got my D2V and mentioned it to Nick. He agreed and I guess removed it from the beta firmware v.2.02c. Looks better this way.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #19105 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The D2v and AVM 50v have ARC packaged inside the main box with the unit itself. The pieces of the ARC kit are packaged in their own box that is placed above the unit inside the main box. There is also an "accessories" box in there with things like the power cord and remote(s). I'm pretty sure the pack out for the D2 has been done this way as well for recent shipments of the D2.
--Bob

Thank you Bob, I have studied the D2v and AVM50v from afar and have been stand offish considering the price, not that its out of line, more like possibly beyond my capabilities financially at this point. Still it draws my attention. I understand the accessories box, just don't have a room for a second support/outboard box for the Pre-Amp, glad to hear its an all in one unit. Appreciate the feedback...

Also wondering about remote programming... I have Philips Pronto 9600's and curious if there is configs that will work in conjunction with it for out of site RF usage

Quote:

Good to see you over here, Warp...

The D2v is amazing, and with the Sigs (and P2/P5), it's really incredible.

ARC gives you so much infomation to fix room acoustic problems, and then it's able to correct for the rest, that the end resulting sound is just what these Sigs deserve.

And yes, the ARC comes with a new D2v. It includes a mic, long USB cable, long serial cable, and a mic stand (although Bob's recommendation to get the better boom-mic stand is a good idea).

Hey buddy.... glad to see you settled into the D2v2, seems you are very happy with it so far. You finally caved in to the "Power of the Dark Side" I mean that in the most loving way.

I have a new 7channel Wyred4Sound amp coming in this week - I'm doing research on Pre-Amps. I'm very glad to see that Anthem is implementing 7 channels now. Regardless whether its a standard or not, I believe it will make its way in that direction.

Seems the upgrades are never ending....

Good luck with the results with the D2... I'll keep an eye out here...
post #19106 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

Can the cross over on the mains and sub be adjusted when running in ARC (Room Eq) mode? If so how?

What's the latest stable version of ARC and Anthem AVM 50 software? I'm running 1.33 for the AVM50 and the first version of ARC (I believe 1.21).

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but I'm the one who was having all the issues with the surronds and the sub. I took Bob's recommendation and upgraded the sub to (2) SVS PS-13's and it made a HUGE difference.

As for the high's still rolling off of the surrounds at 3k, we brought in some other sound equipment and it see's the surrounds operating up to 12k. I'm now wondering if the ARC software freaks out with Dipoles that are flush mounted. I'd like to try a new version of ARC to see if it changes the measurements.

As for my desire to mess with the crossover; ARC is crossing my main's and sub at 40hz. I'd like to get some of the mid sub (40 to 60hz) on to the sub. Does anyone have any suggestions? While my mains test down to 40hz, they don't have the punch the sub does. Right now my sub only plays between 15 - 40 hz.

Thanks!

Big Tex

Tex! How could we forget?!
Yes you can change the x-overs in the Targets window.
I can tell you from my own recent experience in upgrading from ARC 1.2 to 2.0.1, that it made a huge difference.
Casual listeners may not tell but then again no one in this thread should classified as a casual listener right?
The soundstage and image are rock solid, the soundfield is immersive and the subwoofers integration with my LCRs is killer.
Tight, deep and in-your-sternum punchy.
I have some of the same issues as AbMagFab and as soon as time allows I'm going to pull out the Roxul that's been sitting in my garage for 2 1/2 years and cut some bass trap triangles for my stage.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #19107 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thank you Bob, I have studied the D2v and AVM50v from afar and have been stand offish considering the price, not that its out of line, more like possibly beyond my capabilities financially at this point. Still it draws my attention. I understand the accessories box, just don't have a room for a second support/outboard box for the Pre-Amp, glad to hear its an all in one unit. Appreciate the feedback...

Also wondering about remote programming... I have Philips Pronto 9600's and curious if there is configs that will work in conjunction with it for out of site RF usage

Ah, I see I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about the physical packaging of the parts in the shipping carton. There was a point when ARC first came out where the ARC kit was shipped in a separate carton, but it's now shipped all in on carton with the Anthem unit.

But apparently you were actually asking whether ARC requires an extra box on your equipment rack. The answer is no, which I think is what you were hoping for.

The DSP processing power (hardware) needed by ARC during actual, normal, listening use is built into the Anthem. There is no separate box.

During ARC setup, you run an application on a Windows PC connected to the Anthem via serial cable. The ARC mic connects to a USB port on the PC. The Windows application takes the necessary measurements and calculates the solution. It then uploads those results into the Anthem. At which point you are done with the Windows PC, serial cable, and mic until you decide you want to redo your setup. They are not needed during normal listening.

-----------------------------------------------

I don't know how the Pronto stuff works for RF remote control. The typical RF solution for most RF capable, programmable remotes involves an RF receiver box you place somewhere near the Anthem and then either a mini-jack cable from it into one of the rear remote receiver sockets on the Anthem or an IR light emitter tab you attach to the front of the Anthem that puts out IR control signals in response to the RF commands being received.

There is a remote control forum here where you can get the Pronto specific details I'm sure. As far as getting a Pronto configuration for the D2v, you could check the RemoteCentral web site. Anthem tech support may also know of sources of pre-made Pronto config files from their contacts with various custom system installers.
--Bob

post #19108 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

Thanks!

Big Tex

The current "official" version of ARC is V2.0.1 -- available from Anthem's public download page.

Pair that with firmware V1.33 in your AVM 50.

ARC V2.0.1 has improvements both at the lowest and highest frequencies, so it may help with your high frequency problem.

It may also eliminate the need to adjust your crossovers. The ARC version you are using now uses the same values for room correction "cutoffs" as it uses for bass management crossovers. The new ARC V2.0.1 has the ability to produce solutions that use different values for those, which can lead to better solutions.

If necessary, you can adjust the room correction "cutoffs" in the Targets window (run the ARC application in Advanced mode) and ARC will re-calculate the solution based on what you have chosen. However, I think you should try using the values that ARC V2.0.1 chooses for you to begin with.

Plan on doing a re-Measurement with the new ARC stuff.

There is a newer "test" version of ARC -- V2.0.1.1 -- in field testing now that seems to produce even better bass results.

------------------------------------------------

I recall your problem with high frequencies in the surrounds and I'll be surprised if just changing to the new ARC fixes that problem. If you are confident that the measurements you did with the other equipment are valid, and if the run you do with ARC V2.0.1 shows the same problem, then you should call Anthem tech support. I don't think your ARC mic can be faulty because the results you were getting for the front speakers look good. But if you email your ARC results file to Anthem the engineers can dig into it and extract much more information than shows up in the charts. That may help explain what's going on.

The ARC mic hears dipole speakers the same way your ears do. If the flush mounting is the culprit, your other test equipment should have seen that as well.
--Bob

post #19109 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Ok just tried Golden Compass with 7.1. I have 7.1 setup and heard nothing but wonderful surround sound. I then turned off my back speakers. Select showed I was getting 7.1 coming in and a Rear Centre showed up in the output display. Sound was fine and no distortion from centre front and bass was fine and LFE was solid. So if you have a 7.1 setup do as Bob suggests and leave it alone, it works fine.

OK, so here we go again!

I have "Golden Compass" Blu-Ray. I'll turn 7.1 output back on in the PS3 and see if I hear any problems. If I find anything particularly revealing, I'll post the time code. I suppose the problem could be limited to just the "Hairspray" track. I may not get to this until tomorrow.

ETA: I don't recall how much ARC correction your Center speaker needed. If I'm correct that the bug causes Center to get no correction (7.1 input to 5.1 speakers), the reason you are hearing no problem may be that your uncorrected Center is already pretty good.
--Bob

post #19110 of 43405 Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will probably discover that this is just a setup error on the video input side for this source.

While viewing this source, bring up the Video Source Adjust menu (press and hold the "7" key) and scroll right to the Info panel. Look at what you are getting for video input. It should be YCbCr 4:4:4. If it is RGB, look for the setting in your set top box to change that.

For the Motorola boxes typically used by cable companies, this is in a special menu. Use the set top box remote to power it off. Then while still powered off, press the Menu button to bring up the special menu in the Motorola box. Then go to HDMI settings. After adjusting, press Menu again to save those settings and then Power to power up the set top box again.

Next, bring up Video Source Adjust again and go to Picture > Input Color Space. The Auto YCbCr and Studio RGB lines should both be checked. If your set top box only offers RGB output then switching between Studio RGB and Extended RGB in here may be the fix you need.

Once all that is right, the adjustments in Video Source Adjust > Picture can be used to fine tune for the video input coming from that set top box.

Be sure to read the "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post found in the links in the first post of this thread for the basics of video setup. Since your display is professionally calibrated, the internal test patterns from the Anthem (Video Source Adjust > Patterns) should already look correct without you having to tweak anything on the display. If not, then you need to check what you are using in the output side of the Anthem's settings, i.e., in Setup > Video Output.

Keep in mind that you can define 4 separate Video Output configurations. The Setup > Source Setup definition for each source device identifies which Video Output configuration should be used when playing that source. Make sure you have the correct one identified for each source -- in particular for any source that is showing screwy video results.
--Bob

Everything looks good now, with the new firmware, I was just posting about that specific episode of NUMBER3 on Friday. It looks the same on all my TV's (in terms of the crazy dark shadows). It looked way darker before the firmware upgrade.

Another test I used is the "you are experiencing a car accident" scene on the "I, Robot" BD. Good overall test scene.

And my favorite test scene is the "Ode to Joy" at the end of "Immortal Beloved" BD. Great video, lots of dark contrasty scenes, and just amazing sound. This is one of my go-to tests for speaker sound as well (along with the "Moonlight Sonata" scene), and it sounds soooo much better with ARC than on my previous setup.

I'm using a Tivo S3. The input is 444, and the Input Color Space is as you described. Also, all the built-in test patterns look perfect on my display, so I think it's all good. (I wish I had checked before the firmware upgrade, as that would have been a more objective way of showing an improvement.)

Overall, just amazing. I can't wait to make a couple of corner traps tomorrow and measure again!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page