Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

My new AVM50v is in and ready for pickup!!!! I'll be one of the cool kids soon

Welcome! The folks over there with the big grins on their faces are the other new owners. Help yourself to chips!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20613 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Just a reminder: There are fresh cookies available for the first person to power up a new D2v or AVM 50v and confirm that it came with V2.04 firmware (or later) factory installed. Press Select once on the remote to see the firmware version number.

There are also cookies available for the first person to confirm that their new D2v or AVM 50v came bundled with ARC V2.1 (or later) on the ARC installation CD. Install ARC from the CD, run it in Advanced mode, and select About from the Help menu.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20614 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Anthem is finally starting to update their public web pages with info on the new processors.

AVM 50v info has now appeared here:

http://www.anthemAV.com/NewSitev2.0/...M30_40_50.html

So far it looks like they've only put up the PDF of the product data sheet.

The manual for the AVM 50v V2.0x firmware can now be found here:

http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...OwnersMan.html

ETA: It looks like they did an Adobe PDF "compression" pass on that manual to reduce its size a bit, and unfortunately this latest version of the manual crashes Preview V4.1 (Apple's default PDF reader app) on my Mac. The file opens without problem using the latest Adobe Reader app. Anthem has been alerted.

ETA 2: They've also added a place holder for the future AVM 50v upgrades program:

http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/.../Upgrades.html

--Bob

post #20615 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've mentioned this issue on here before and I still have it.

Whether or not related to ARC, I've been having a severe hum/hiss issue ever since installing ARC in my AVM50 last summer. I've attached the following link to show you what mine is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglzO...e=channel_page

It occurs when switching sources or when a source such as a blu-ray player is not outputting the audio track? Seems to be related to HDMI. It also occurs when I enter the Anthems setup screen. I would like to get an idea of how many people are experiencing this same issue. I've contacted Anthem ever since it started occuring and they say they have duplicated it in their lab but I still have no fix for it. I think I've been very patient waiting for a fix, but I'm starting to give up on getting one but I won't be able to sell it this way either, so I'm kind of stuck.

I've tried reloading the software to no positive results.

I would just like to know if their are others with the same problem and what sort of feedback they are getting back from Anthem.

Bob: If you or any of the other more knowledgeable members have any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #20616 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post

As a side note, and I don't want to take this thread off topic or start to much of a debate, out of the Denon DVD3800BDCI, Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD and the SONY BDP-S5000ES which would be the best Blu ray player when used with the D2 or D2v?

I think you should also consider the Oppo BDP-83 when choosing a Blu Ray player.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #20617 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I think you should also consider the Oppo BDP-83 when choosing a Blu Ray player.

Has it been released yet?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #20618 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Whether or not related to ARC, I've been having a severe hum/hiss issue ever since installing ARC in my AVM50 last summer. I've attached the following link to show you what mine is doing:

It occurs when switching sources or when a source such as a blu-ray player is not outputting the audio track? Seems to be related to HDMI. It also occurs when I enter the Anthems setup screen. I would like to get an idea of how many people are experiencing this same issue. I've contacted Anthem ever since it started occuring and they say they have duplicated it in their lab but I still have no fix for it. I think I've been very patient waiting for a fix, but I'm starting to give up on getting one but I won't be able to sell it this way either, so I'm kind of stuck.

I would just like to know if their are others with the same problem and what sort of feedback they are getting back from Anthem.

Bob: If you or any of the other more knowledgeable members have any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I don't have any answers or workarounds for you. Based on some other reports here, it appears to be related to the ARC DSP board installed as part of the upgrade, although your case seems to be a lot more severe than the other reports. That board is used for audio processing whether or not ARC processing itself is enabled.

There's no reason you should have to live with this. Get the unit back to Anthem for warranty service.
--Bob

post #20619 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Has it been released yet?

Not quite. They are doing restricted sales under an Early Adopter Program.

There's a fast moving thread in the Blu-Ray Player forum here that covers all that. Read the first post in that thread, which also contains links to the FAQ and Manual.
--Bob

post #20620 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I don't have any answers or workarounds for you. Based on some other reports here, it appears to be related to the ARC DSP board installed as part of the upgrade, although your case seems to be a lot more severe than the other reports. That board is used for audio processing whether or not ARC processing itself is enabled.

There's no reason you should have to live with this. Get the unit back to Anthem for warranty service.
--Bob

I purchased in Nov of 2006. I'm not sure if this issue would fall under their 3 yr warranty coverage or not. I did contact them when it was still within the 2 yr coverage though, so I'm not sure if they would take that into consideration. You are probably right though. It has gone on for far too long. I will likely contact the salesman I purchased it from.

post #20621 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not quite. They are doing restricted sales under an Early Adopter Program.

There's a fast moving thread in the Blu-Ray Player forum here that covers all that. Read the first post in that thread, which also contains links to the FAQ and Manual.
--Bob

Bob:

Yes, I have been following it, but thought I might have missed some news about it being released. I am waiting anxiously for it to be released to the general public like I'm sure many are.

post #20622 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I purchased in Nov of 2006. I'm not sure if this issue would fall under their 3 yr warranty coverage or not. I did contact them when it was still within the 2 yr coverage though, so I'm not sure if they would take that into consideration. You are probably right though. It has gone on for far too long. I will likely contact the salesman I purchased it from.

The ARC hardware upgrade has its own warranty. Since the issue surfaced with the ARC hardware upgrade, you are covered for any failure related to that new DSP board.
--Bob

post #20623 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob:

Yes, I have been following it, but thought I might have missed some news about it being released. I am waiting anxiously for it to be released to the general public like I'm sure many are.

My guess is that unrestricted sales will begin in April.
--Bob

post #20624 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My guess is that unrestricted sales will begin in April.
--Bob

You didn't happen to get one under the EAP?

post #20625 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

You didn't happen to get one under the EAP?

Nope. I'm a Beta tester.

I got one *BEFORE* EAP!

--Bob

post #20626 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. I'm a Beta tester.

I got one *BEFORE* EAP!

--Bob

Worth waiting for?

post #20627 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Worth waiting for?

I'd say yes.
--Bob

post #20628 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks,

Yes, I've had a similar problem with my AVM 50 since March 2008 (pre arc). See my post #20569.
post #20629 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeruns View Post

Yes, I've had a similar problem with my AVM 50 since March 2008 (pre arc). See my post #20569.

Not that I'm glad you have it, but I'm glad I'm not alone. Perhaps we can get some results in numbers. Can you send me the wma file that you sent to Anthem?

post #20630 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome! The folks over there with the big grins on their faces are the other new owners. Help yourself to chips!
--Bob

Ok mine came with:

2.0.4 firmware and 2.0.1 ARC. I updated ARC to 2.1 before running it. I did 5 listening positions. Here are my graphs.

Red = measured; Blue = target; Green = calculated

What do you think? Anything I need to do? If it helps, my setup is...

Paradigm Reference 100s v5's for LCR
Paradigm Reference ADP-590 v5 for Surrounds
Paradigm Reference 10's v5 for Rears
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Anthem AVM50v Pre Pro
Anthem MCA50 Power Amp for surrounds and rears
Anthem MCA30 Power Amp for LCR
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray Player

I don't have acoustic treatments in place yet except for the front wall (behind the AT screen).

Thanks!!
Shawn

post #20631 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Not that I'm glad you have it, but I'm glad I'm not alone. Perhaps we can get some results in numbers. Can you send me the wma file that you sent to Anthem?

I know how to attach the file to an e mail, but I'm afraid I'm clueless when it comes to attaching an audio file here. Perhaps if you send me your e mail or give iinstructions on how to do it here, I 'll be happy to send it.
post #20632 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

One more question/issue. The AVM50v seems to be making my image smaller than it used to be. It's like it's scaling it down. I tried to go to the video menu, but I didn't see any settings there that would be causing it. Any idea how to "zoom" it back out?

post #20633 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know how to attach the file to an e mail, but I'm afraid I'm clueless when it comes to attaching an audio file here. Perhaps if you send me your e mail or give iinstructions on how to do it here, I 'll be happy to send it.

I sent you a pm with my e-mail

post #20634 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more question/issue. The AVM50v seems to be making my image smaller than it used to be. It's like it's scaling it down. I tried to go to the video menu, but I didn't see any settings there that would be causing it. Any idea how to "zoom" it back out?

Ok nevermind - turning masking off on my projector fixed it. I guess I was double masking it

post #20635 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:

My new AVM50v is in and ready for pickup!!!! I'll be one of the cool kids soon

Shawnwalters,

Congratulations on delivery of your new AVM 50V! Have you connected your JVC RS10 to it yet? If so, have you had any handshaking issues? Have you noticed a difference in PQ? I'm about a month off from purchasing the JVC RS10 and hope it plays nice with my AVM 50.
post #20636 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Ok mine came with:

2.0.4 firmware and 2.0.1 ARC. I updated ARC to 2.1 before running it. I did 5 listening positions. Here are my graphs.

First of all, that report that your new AVM 50v came with firmware V2.04 factory installed is good for a cookie! I hope you like them fresh out of the oven...

I'm surprised you didn't also get ARC V2.1 in the box. So there's still a cookie waiting on that one.

-----------------------------------------------

Now as to your charts, your red Measured curves for Left, Center, Right, and Subwoofer all show problems which ARC has done a fine job correcting, but if you can clear up the problems in their uncorrected output things will be better.

Left, Center, and Right are all putting out way too much bass. This would be typical of speakers with powered woofers were the controls are set improperly for the powered woofers. The dip near 150Hz is probably part of the same problem.

To correct for this, ARC has had to push the crossover for Left and Right up to something like 140Hz, which is higher than ideal. Basically ARC is trying to discard all that problem bass.

So check into your settings for those speakers.

Meanwhile your subwoofer is acting very strangely. ARC has corrected this, but I suspect your sub can do better -- which will make the ARC result even better.

It looks to me like you have the internal crossover in the sub enabled and set to a low frequency. You want to disable any crossover in the sub itself. Failing that, crank the crossover setting up to the highest possible frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible. Right now it is showing a 15dB plummet from 30 Hz to 50Hz, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn you have its crossover set at the lowest frequency setting.

Your surround speakers actually look pretty decent. You've got some sharp variation at the highest frequencies that might be reduced by pointing those speakers a bit more carefully, but really not that bad. Once you fix your Measured bass problems you will likely be able to raise the Max EQ Frequency target to let ARC correct up there and those high freuquency peaks and dips will be tamed.

The results you have now should sound a whole lot better than your uncorrected speakers -- particularly in the bass. Although your bass may sound a bit weak at first if you are used to listening to this uncorrected setup. The main problem with your current ARC solution is the high crossover for L/R which will likely impact music enjoyment.

Anyway, revisit the bass settings on your L/C/R and Sub and do another Measurement if you find things to correct.
--Bob

post #20637 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

So you had this problem BEFORE putting the ARC DSP board in your AVM 50?

That's a surprise! When you spoke to Nick at Anthem, are you certain he realized your problem happened even without the ARC DSP board being in there? He may have just assumed it was the newer problem.

In any event, I don't know of any firmware issue being worked as regards the pre-ARC AVM 50 units that might fix this. I've only heard that they are working out a problem with some units after the ARC DSP board change. I think you may need hardware service.
--Bob

post #20638 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all, that report that your new AVM 50v came with firmware V2.04 factory installed is good for a cookie! I hope you like them fresh out of the oven...

I'm surprised you didn't also get ARC V2.1 in the box. So there's still a cookie waiting on that one.

-----------------------------------------------

Now as to your charts, your red Measured curves for Left, Center, Right, and Subwoofer all show problems which ARC has done a fine job correcting, but if you can clear up the problems in their uncorrected output things will be better.

Left, Center, and Right are all putting out way too much bass. This would be typical of speakers with powered woofers were the controls are set improperly for the powered woofers. The dip near 150Hz is probably part of the same problem.

To correct for this, ARC has had to push the crossover for Left and Right up to something like 140Hz, which is higher than ideal. Basically ARC is trying to discard all that problem bass.

So check into your settings for those speakers.

Meanwhile your subwoofer is acting very strangely. ARC has corrected this, but I suspect your sub can do better -- which will make the ARC result even better.

It looks to me like you have the internal crossover in the sub enabled and set to a low frequency. You want to disable any crossover in the sub itself. Failing that, crank the crossover setting up to the highest possible frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible. Right now it is showing a 15dB plummet from 30 Hz to 50Hz, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn you have its crossover set at the lowest frequency setting.

Your surround speakers actually look pretty decent. You've got some sharp variation at the highest frequencies that might be reduced by pointing those speakers a bit more carefully, but really not that bad. Once you fix your Measured bass problems you will likely be able to raise the Max EQ Frequency target to let ARC correct up there and those high freuquency peaks and dips will be tamed.

The results you have now should sound a whole lot better than your uncorrected speakers -- particularly in the bass. Although your bass may sound a bit weak at first if you are used to listening to this uncorrected setup. The main problem with your current ARC solution is the high crossover for L/R which will likely impact music enjoyment.

Anyway, revisit the bass settings on your L/C/R and Sub and do another Measurement if you find things to correct.
--Bob

I had a different interpretation (also knowing his fronts don't have powered bass). It looks to me like super-exaggerated bass response due to room acoustics/speaker placement. Like the fronts are all smashed into corners, with minimal bass traps in those corners. Moving them away from the walls, and adding real traps should help a lot.

Also, his room I think is a perfect box, with almost nothing breaking it up except for furniture, so that's not helping things.

If the sub is also placed in a corner, then the drop-off might actually be an exaggerated peak below 50, like with the fronts?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #20639 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob - thank you very much for the info!

The LCR are all Paradigm Studio 100's, so there are no controls to adjust on the speaker themselves. Could it be all the bass traps and linacoustic I added behind them (behind the AT screen)? I can't move them anywhere else since they are being the screen.

The sub - I'm almost sure I have the crossover disabled, but I will double check in the morning.

post #20640 of 42985 Old 03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

I had a different interpretation (also knowing his fronts don't have powered bass). It looks to me like super-exaggerated bass response due to room acoustics/speaker placement. Like the fronts are all smashed into corners, with minimal bass traps in those corners. Moving them away from the walls, and adding real traps should help a lot.

Also, his room I think is a perfect box, with almost nothing breaking it up except for furniture, so that's not helping things.

If the sub is also placed in a corner, then the drop-off might actually be an exaggerated peak below 50, like with the fronts?

My room is 21 long x 14 wide.

Here are the bass traps and here is the linacoustic and here are the speakers:

I'm thinking maybe I need to pull them out from the wall a bit more towards the screen. Another thought is one of the bass drivers in the 100's is probably firing right at the screen frame. But before someone suggests it, I'm not redoing my room!!!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page