Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #22501 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello Bob. Thanks for your help on the flash eraser offer. I got the password from Nick today. I will try that later when I get home. But Nick told me he received an email regarding the same issue from someone else too and he passed that to the software department and he is waiting for a response from them. But he also said that this might be some bug to the video card. Then I told him I have problem with getting test tone when I run ARC. He said that is a different issue. But all of this happened after the firmware upgrade. I hope this flash eraser will help me.
Now my question is: After trying the flash eraser will I loose everything or I can still reload my setups from the user saved menu?
Also I found an option of bypassing the LFE for setting up the sub's crossover too low. Do I need to use that with ARC or with ARC on that option is irrelevant?
Thanks as always Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22502 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

Hi Bob;

Just wanted to confirm for you (and anyone else out there that's interested) that Anthem will be honoring the half off coupon. I received an email from Nick this morning confirming this. He said as long as the serial number on my D2 matches the number on the coupon and I am the original owner I can take advantage of the upgrade discounted at an additional 50%.

He also said I can do this through my dealer or through Anthem direct.

I still have to confirm the Canadian pricing! It looks like I'll be able to exchange my D2 to a D2v for approximately 2000.00!

At that price... should I even consider passing it up?

This is great news for owners.... thanks for posting this ~ohdee~

I bought my D2v new, and I would hope they would offer this same option when the time comes to upgrade that unit in the distant future....
post #22503 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

This is great news for owners.... thanks for posting this ~ohdee~

I bought my D2v new, and I would hope they would offer this same option when the time comes to upgrade that unit in the distant future....

Oh I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

I bought my D2 in December of 08! At the time everyone and their dog knew the D2v was set to release in weeks. My guess here but that's the reason I think Anthem advertised a very rare factory authorized sale on the D2 and AVM50. They were cleaning out existing stock. I picked up the D2 for about 50% its normal price. It was within my budget so I went for it knowing full well the D2v would be release by the end of January.

I figured I'll get the D2 at roughly 50% MSRP now and I'll upgrade to the D2v someday.

When I took possession of my D2 I was shocked to find coupon inside. The coupon is an offer to upgrade to the soon to be release D2v for 50% off the upgrade price (yet to be determined). My dealer didn't know I would be getting that coupon.

So unless you got a coupon with your D2v (which I've never heard of) you will not be able to take advantage of this someday when you wish to upgrade your D2v. I think this offer was only extended to people who bought a new D2 very late in the game. Only for those that bought out the last of the old stock. I guess it was an incentive to get people to buy. Heck I thought the sale price on the D2 was incentive enough and was very please when I found the coupon sitting on top of my D2.
post #22504 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Welcome to the Cool Kids Thread!

Did your new D2v come with V2.07 factory installed? Also what version of ARC did you find on the install CD? You may have some cookies coming to you.

The red Measured curves in the ARC charts are an unweighted average of what ARC has heard from each of the mic positions. In the course of producing its solution, ARC builds a mathematical model of what the Anthem will do to the audio signal. The green Calculated curves are produced by the simple expedient of running the red Measured curves through that model.

So just as the red Measured curves don't reflect what any single mic position recorded (assuming you don't have an acoustically perfect setup where each mic position hears precisely the same thing), the green Calculated curves also don't reflect the expected result at any single mic position. In addition, the usefulness of the green Calculated curves depends on how well the mathematical model built by the ARC application actually reflects what happens inside the Anthem processor when the real Room Correction parameters are used to process real audio.

But in general there's a high correlation between better looking Calculated curves and people saying their system actually sounds better during normal listening. Just remember that you don't listen to curves, so if you find a setup that sounds better to you then go with that one even if its Calculated curves are not quite as clean as some other setup that doesn't sound that good.

If you'd like, post your ARC charts here and folks will comment on them.
--Bob

Thanks for the welcome! Been following this thread for a loong time. Took some time to finally step up, but I am very glad I did. Following everyone's progress has been very informative. Hopefully I am reaping the benefits!

ARC version is 2.1.0 (printed on box). F/W is 2.07 (printed on box). I am still working with the ARC s/w (it is very, very cool, I must say). Pluggin and chuggin in the advanced mode makes me understand the decisions it made, and I can't argue with them at this point. The sound is truly nice. 2 chan playback soundstage is just deep and the vocal separation is exceptional. Haven't even touched the video side yet.

My only knocks:

Some HDMI clunkiness. I get some audio drop outs on the Oppo, but switching sources seems to fix it. Some DVDA edits trip it up. Requing the song seems to get it to play. Minor stuff so far.

Mic stand thread. I don't know what's going on with the thread for the mic stand. Like it's a different size. Anyway, minor stuff.

Before posting my results I want to do another measurement sequence. I have some crazy low end response from my mains, which really surprised me, and which I believe led ARC to set the cutoff rather high (115 Hz). I have room treatments and some limited placement flexibility, so I want to do some experimentation in meas. mode with what I have. If it improves over how it sounds now, well, that would be just be wonderful.

I will post after the next round of experimentation.

Thanks!

scott
post #22505 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

When I took possession of my D2 I was shocked to find coupon inside. The coupon is an offer to upgrade to the soon to be release D2v for 50% off the upgrade price (yet to be determined). My dealer didn't know I would be getting that coupon.

Hmmmm I'm still confused.... Maybe you could fax me a copy of that coupon...

OK JK...

Thanks for clearing that up, and glad you will have the opportunity to get a reduced rate on the upgrade
post #22506 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarcoot View Post

One of the reasons I spent the money for the D2 two years ago was to be "protected" by Anthem's history of offering reasonably priced upgrades to keep their equipment current. I am extremely disappointed by this news as it definitely does not meet that criteria.

Oh well, live and learn.

Most seem to be unhappy with the recently announced exchange program. I am the opposite as my decision to sell my D2 last January and upgrade to the new D2v saved me big bucks. I cannot stand the unknown, and for once my upgradeitis has paid off in real dinero!

Stan
post #22507 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Hello Bob. I tried the flash eraser and then run the firmware 2.07. It did not help. I am getting the same error. Will, I have to wait for Nick and see what he comes up with.
post #22508 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Hello Bob. I tried the flash eraser and then run the firmware 2.07. It did not help. I am getting the same error. Will, I have to wait for Nick and see what he comes up with.

I'm not sure what is going on with your hardware. You've got a batch of problems that appear unrelated but it is unlikely all of this would go wrong at the same time without some common cause. I don't know if it is a hardware problem in your Anthem or something screwy going on in your computer.

I think that rather than confuse things it would be better for you to continue to work this problem with Anthem tech support.

While waiting: I don't recall if you ever had a clean firmware install using your original computer, but if so, I'd suggest going back to that one. Run the Flash Eraser a few times -- it should work the first time, but there have been some reports here of folks having better luck running it a few times in a row -- then try the firmware install again.

Also, make sure you are using the version of the Flash Eraser appropriate for your Anthem model. I think the wrong one will refuse to run, but check just in case.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22509 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctonn View Post

Thanks for the welcome! Been following this thread for a loong time. Took some time to finally step up, but I am very glad I did. Following everyone's progress has been very informative. Hopefully I am reaping the benefits!

ARC version is 2.1.0 (printed on box). F/W is 2.07 (printed on box). I am still working with the ARC s/w (it is very, very cool, I must say). Pluggin and chuggin in the advanced mode makes me understand the decisions it made, and I can't argue with them at this point. The sound is truly nice. 2 chan playback soundstage is just deep and the vocal separation is exceptional. Haven't even touched the video side yet.

My only knocks:

Some HDMI clunkiness. I get some audio drop outs on the Oppo, but switching sources seems to fix it. Some DVDA edits trip it up. Requing the song seems to get it to play. Minor stuff so far.

Mic stand thread. I don't know what's going on with the thread for the mic stand. Like it's a different size. Anyway, minor stuff.

Before posting my results I want to do another measurement sequence. I have some crazy low end response from my mains, which really surprised me, and which I believe led ARC to set the cutoff rather high (115 Hz). I have room treatments and some limited placement flexibility, so I want to do some experimentation in meas. mode with what I have. If it improves over how it sounds now, well, that would be just be wonderful.

I will post after the next round of experimentation.

Thanks!

scott

Presuming you haven't already downloaded and installed any firmware, you can verify the firmware factory installed in your Anthem by pressing Select once on the remote to see the firmware number in the display. The latest firmware version is V2.07, but yours may be the first report of a unit actually arriving with V2.07 factory installed.

For ARC, run it in Advanced mode and select About from the Help menu. The latest ARC is V2.2, however the change from V2.1 is minor. If you really did get V2.1 in the box you can download V2.2 from the Anthem public download pages and install it on top of V2.1 in your Windows PC. If you are already happy with your ARC results there's no rush to do this, but if you are going to redo your ARC stuff anyway you might as well get the latest version into your PC first.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22510 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what is going on with your hardware. You've got a batch of problems that appear unrelated but it is unlikely all of this would go wrong at the same time without some common cause. I don't know if it is a hardware problem in your Anthem or something screwy going on in your computer.

I think that rather than confuse things it would be better for you to continue to work this problem with Anthem tech support.

While waiting: I don't recall if you ever had a clean firmware install using your original computer, but if so, I'd suggest going back to that one. Run the Flash Eraser a few times -- it should work the first time, but there have been some reports here of folks having better luck running it a few times in a row -- then try the firmware install again.

Also, make sure you are using the version of the Flash Eraser appropriate for your Anthem model. I think the wrong one will refuse to run, but check just in case.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I downloaded the eraser that says for AVM20-HD and up but the d2v is not specifically mentioned. Is it possible for you to email me the eraser. my email is usxplongback@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it.
post #22511 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:

I bought my D2 in December of 08! At the time everyone and their dog knew the D2v was set to release in weeks. My guess here but that's the reason I think Anthem advertised a very rare factory authorized sale on the D2 and AVM50. They were cleaning out existing stock. I picked up the D2 for about 50% its normal price. It was within my budget so I went for it knowing full well the D2v would be release by the end of January.

I figured I'll get the D2 at roughly 50% MSRP now and I'll upgrade to the D2v someday.

So unless you got a coupon with your D2v (which I've never heard of) you will not be able to take advantage of this someday when you wish to upgrade your D2v. I think this offer was only extended to people who bought a new D2 very late in the game. Only for those that bought out the last of the old stock. I guess it was an incentive to get people to buy. Heck I thought the sale price on the D2 was incentive enough and was very please when I found the coupon sitting on top of my D2.

It looks like those of us who upgraded once from the D1 to the D1HD will be out of luck upgradewise. No coupon, and possibly only a swap deal - not sure if the swap will be from D1 to D2V or D2 to D2V. I agree with one of the posters....... aside from a few occasional HDMI handshake issues with my satellite rcvr, I have no pops, hisses, ticks, etc. and the sound is great. It may be a while before I upgrade, based on comments here.
post #22512 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Thanks Bob. I downloaded the eraser that says for AVM20-HD and up but the d2v is not specifically mentioned. Is it possible for you to email me the eraser. my email is usxplongback@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it.

I'm sure you have the right version.

The best procedure is to run the eraser 3-4 times before
trying a firmware update. These E-Proms are sometimes
SLOW to clear the memory.

But it does sound like you have some hardware issues.
post #22513 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

You've already got the correct one.
--Bob

post #22514 of 42985 Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You've already got the correct one.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I tried erasing the flash many times as you suggested but no luck.
post #22515 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi Bob;

Just wanted to confirm for you (and anyone else out there that's interested) that Anthem will be honoring the half off coupon. I received an email from Nick this morning confirming this. He said as long as the serial number on my D2 matches the number on the coupon and I am the original owner I can take advantage of the upgrade discounted at an additional 50%.

He also said I can do this through my dealer or through Anthem direct.

I still have to confirm the Canadian pricing! It looks like I'll be able to exchange my D2 to a D2v for approximately 2000.00!

At that price... should I even consider passing it up?

This is an amazing deal, if you can afford I would go ahead and proceed.
post #22516 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM

I have just received my Anthem D2V and love it. However, I have noticed an issue that I am not sure how to correct really. I have a Tivo Series 3 that has a few handshaking issues that I can live with. However, when I use my Tivo, I get an odd hiss out of the left side of the receiver. If I put the D2V in Anthem-Cinema, it does not make this noise. It may only do it when the Tivo is putting Dolby Digital is pushed out in 2.0 or 2.1 verses 5.1. Any ideas all?

Shawn
post #22517 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Was warranty mentioned? Since you get a new unit, I suspect you get a new unit warranty on the entire unit.
--Bob

at that price I think I will just keep my d1-hd and call it a day. I love what it does and am not going to pay almost 5k to get a little more horse power that I probably wont even notice ..at least not enough to justify the cost.

Don Lynch
post #22518 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Has Anthem actually announced anything regarding upgrades yet or is it all just still speculation?
post #22519 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
There's a post on the previous page where someone spoke to Anthem support.
But no, nothing "official".
Ohdee,
If you paid 1/2 retail for the D2, say ~$3200 + ~$2k for the upgrade, deal directly with Anthem to save any potential sales tax, I'd say that would be a very good deal.
OTOH, I'd go to your local dealer, check out the D2V and see if you see any video improvement, if possible.
If you don't need pre/pro HD decoding, maybe the $2k could be better spent on some other aspect of your system where you'd see a larger improvement for the money invested.
Just a thought.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #22520 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I talked to Anthem again and they said my video card is no good. I have to wait for them to ship a new one to the dealer. What I don't like from Anthem is that they don't want to send anything to the consumer even after verifying the dealer's information and all necessary paper work. I asked Anthem to complete the paper work with the dealer then send me the video card so I can swap the old one with the new one. But they refused to do so. At some point Anthem should make the process a little easier and faster for the consumers. The dealer told me they have never changed the video card but anytime Anthem sends something to the dealers, it is something very easy.

But in the meanwhile I have a question. Is there a way to turn off the audio sent to tv thru hdmi? Why we need the audio from processor to tv?
post #22521 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfox7076 View Post

I have just received my Anthem D2V and love it. However, I have noticed an issue that I am not sure how to correct really. I have a Tivo Series 3 that has a few handshaking issues that I can live with. However, when I use my Tivo, I get an odd hiss out of the left side of the receiver. If I put the D2V in Anthem-Cinema, it does not make this noise. It may only do it when the Tivo is putting Dolby Digital is pushed out in 2.0 or 2.1 verses 5.1. Any ideas all?

Shawn

I run my TiVo into my D2 via Component and Optical.

For TV Source Info - YOU DO NOT NEED HDMI. The BEST
HD-TV is only 1080i and DD 5.1.
post #22522 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I run my TiVo into my D2 via Component and Optical.

For TV Source Info - YOU DO NOT NEED HDMI. The BEST
HD-TV is only 1080i and DD 5.1.

That is thru. Why would anybody send the HD signal to d2v? Then anytime you watch tv, you should turn your d2v as well. You can send just the optical or coaxial to d2v so you will have the choice of using the d2v or not when watching tv.
post #22523 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is thru. Why would anybody send the HD signal to d2v? Then anytime you watch tv, you should turn your d2v as well. You can send just the optical or coaxial to d2v so you will have the choice of using the d2v or not when watching tv.

Yes - Cable Boxes Negotiate a NEW HDMI handshake every time
you change channels. Talk about ASKING for problems.
post #22524 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM

I understand that, but my wife wants as few cables as possible, and this is the compromise...
post #22525 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I understand that, but my wife wants as few cables as possible, and this is the compromise...

One more cable vs lots of problems? That is not a good deal.
post #22526 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have the back of your units facing the audience or maybe your
back wall is glass and she can see it from the next room
post #22527 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Well, I talked to Anthem again and they said my video card is no good. I have to wait for them to ship a new one to the dealer. What I don't like from Anthem is that they don't want to send anything to the consumer even after verifying the dealer's information and all necessary paper work. I asked Anthem to complete the paper work with the dealer then send me the video card so I can swap the old one with the new one. But they refused to do so. At some point Anthem should make the process a little easier and faster for the consumers. The dealer told me they have never changed the video card but anytime Anthem sends something to the dealers, it is something very easy.

But in the meanwhile I have a question. Is there a way to turn off the audio sent to tv thru hdmi? Why we need the audio from processor to tv?

There is no way to turn off the audio portion of the main HDMI output from the Anthem. The audio is a stereo mix-down of whatever is being processed in the Main audio path. It is 2.0 LPCM 48KHz. The idea is that it is present for folks who want to use speakers built into their HDMI TV.

There is almost always an easy way to tell the TV to ignore the audio on its HDMI input -- for example tell it to use a regular stereo audio input instead that you don't have connected to anything. Look in the TV's instruction manual for how to hook up a DVI source device for example.
--Bob

post #22528 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is no way to turn off the audio portion of the main HDMI output from the Anthem. The audio is a stereo mix-down of whatever is being processed in the Main audio path. It is 2.0 LPCM 48KHz. The idea is that it is present for folks who want to use speakers built into their HDMI TV.

There is almost always an easy way to tell the TV to ignore the audio on its HDMI input -- for example tell it to use a regular stereo audio input instead that you don't have connected to anything. Look in the TV's instruction manual for how to hook up a DVI source device for example.
--Bob

Thanks Bob.
post #22529 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:

There are several possible things going on here. A 12" sub may not be big enough to generate good subsonics for your room, or you may have more room problems than ARC can fully correct, or you may be using ARC improperly.

For example: Double check that you have Setup > Source Setup > Room EQ set to ON for each of your source definitions in the Anthem.

--------------------------------------

What you are describing sounds like an uncorrected room cancellation null. Such nulls will vary as you shift listening position a few feet. ARC corrects such problems but there are limits to what ARC will try to do (so as not to over-stress the sub or sub amp).

Open up your ARC results file in ARC's "Advanced" mode to view the charts, capture the charts and post them here. The charts may tell the story of what's going on with your bass.
--Bob

Bob, below are the ARC results:

Thanks,

Lee
LL
LL
LL
post #22530 of 42985 Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk100 View Post

Bob, below are the ARC results:

Thanks,

Lee

OK, as I recall from your two posts above your problem is in STEERED bass during music listening (not LFE). You're hearing weakness in steered bass in your center seating position but not to the sides.

From the charts, it looks like you've got some really strong room coupling going on that is boosting LF/RF (and to a lesser extent C) in the 50-100Hz range and that is reducing Sub in the 30-100Hz range. These are probably the SAME thing with the coupling difference just due to the different placement of the subwoofer compared to your front speakers.

Now ARC shows that it has corrected this (your residual errors in Sub are really quite small), but it is evidently doing quite a bit of work to do so, and I suspect what you are hearing is that the solution is not equally good across your different seating locations.

There are two ways to address this: (1) Change your mic locations, and perhaps add more locations, and (2) change how those speakers are coupling to the room.

Now you do (2) by speaker placement and/or room bass treatments (e.g., bass traps in the corners and on the walls behind those front speakers).

As far as changing speaker locations, at these frequencies even inches matter. For example, try setting your subwoofer at your central seating location and then play a bass test tone and measure SPL where you would normally place the sub. Look for a location that maximizes the SPL near your current sub location. That's probably where you want to put the sub.

By the way, your lowest frequency output from the sub is Measuring just fine, so there's no indication the sub is too small for your room.

Alternatively, just try shifting the sub around a few inches at a time and re-Measure with ARC. You can speed this up by telling ARC (temporarily) that you only have a 2.1 configuration. You'll still need to Measure at all the mic positions, but it will go a bit faster.

In addition to trying to find a sub location that reduces its notch, you also want to adjust LF/RF (and to a lesser degree C) to reduce their peak. Again, some positioning adjustment can help, but it's more common for folks to tackle such issues with room bass treatments.

My guess is the bulk of your problem is actually in what ARC is doing to LF/RF rather than what it is doing to Sub. ARC has to cut LF/RF fairly significantly in the 50-100Hz range and it may be overdoing it a bit based on your particularly mic placements. Make sure mic #1 is at your center seating position. Alternate either side of #1 for subsequent mic positions. Make sure no two mic positions (whether or not sequential) are closer than 24 inches apart. Set the mic pointing straight up at seated ear height, and keep the mic away from reflective surfaces such as walls or seat backs. If necessary raise the mic tip a few inches to clear a seat back or move the mic about a foot closer to the screen to keep it away from a seat back.

The idea is to use enough mic positions, far enough spaced, to span the seating region you want ARC to handle. Ideally, your outermost mic positions should be beyond your side seating locations. This is often done in an arc with the outermost 2 (or 4) mic positions curving in towards the screen a few feet.
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page