post #22591 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

Absolutely no snaps, crackles, pops or any other sounds from my D2v.

that's great to know. And your unit operated this clean from initial use (prior to any firmware upgrades)?

Actually I was inquiring primarily about the AVM-50/AVM-50V, however I really appreciate your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22592 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailtim View Post

D2V Owners,

I am looking for an XLR based Pre/Pro and have the Integra 9.9 and Anthem D2V on my short list. Since I bypass the Pre/Pro for Video and go straight to my Kuro 141FD monitor, I am mostly interested in audio performance. I would appreciate your feedback on the following questions to help expedite my purchase decision.

1) Would you buy the D2V again?
2) Which software is better for audio?
3) The Audyssey software has TV Commercial Detection and keeps the commercial audio from blasting. This is a fantastic feature since we use our HT mostly for TV. Does the ARC software have this feature?
4) The D2V only has 5.1 analog in versus 7.1 analog ins.
5) The D2V has a 2-prong plug where the Integra has a 3 prong plug (no common mode rejection from balanced power units).

Thanks for your help,
Tim

You can call me a WISE GUY it you want.

But I would recommend you NOT buying a D2v.

Anyone who bypasses the D2v Video and Uses Analog
Inputs - DOES NOT WANT a D2v. You are still operating
in the DARK AGES

I told you - it is OK to call me a WISE GUY it you want.
post #22593 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:

D2V Owners,

I am looking for an XLR based Pre/Pro and have the Integra 9.9 and Anthem D2V on my short list. Since I bypass the Pre/Pro for Video and go straight to my Kuro 141FD monitor, I am mostly interested in audio performance. I would appreciate your feedback on the following questions to help expedite my purchase decision.

3) The Audyssey software has TV Commercial Detection and keeps the commercial audio from blasting. This is a fantastic feature since we use our HT mostly for TV. Does the ARC software have this feature?
5) The D2V has a 2-prong plug where the Integra has a 3 prong plug (no common mode rejection from balanced power units).

Thanks for your help,
Tim

I owned the previous generation, the 9.8, and here are my answers and explanations:

1) Yes. But if you are not using the video portion you might want to look at other processors. If your viewing is almost all TV (limited Blu-Ray, DVD, or analog audio), I would get the 9.9.
2) ARC is better than the base Audessey available without a professional room calibration. If you never change your room, speakers, etc. then paying for the calibration is an option, but any room changes require a recalibration. The ARC allows the user to make the changes, Audessey requires a professional calibration to match the abilities or ARC. If you can get the license and do the advanced Audessey yourself, then I would say the softwares are very comparable.
3) The upcoming Dolby software upgrade might include this??
4) This is one thing that Anthem messed up on and I miss it from my previous 9.8. However, I am not sure why you would need this with mostly TV viewing.
5) I had a hum with my 9.8 and my balanced amplifiers, no hum with the D2v.

The main areas (for me) that the D2v beat out the 9.8:

1. Better customer service (Onkyo service is bad).
2. Analog performance - the D2v is much better than the 9.8s. The Anthem allows you to apply the room corrections, crossovers, etc to the 5.1 external inputs, the Onkyo is a straight pass through (unless this has changed for the 9.9).
3. See my answer on the software above.

Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #22594 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

I owned the previous generation, the 9.8, and here are my answers and explanations:

Mike

GREAT answers from someone who is NOT a Wise Guy
post #22595 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

that's great to know. And your unit operated this clean from initial use (prior to any firmware upgrades)?

Actually I was inquiring primarily about the AVM-50/AVM-50V, however I really appreciate your input!

Clean out of the box. Done one upgrade and that was to the latest GA version.

Ken

Ken
post #22596 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzdoc View Post

I'm at a friends updating his D2 and ARC.

What's the latest appropriate beta software for the D2? Is it the same as the software for the D2V?

Also, what's the latest beta software for the ARC for the D2? Is it the same as for the D2V?

ARC is V2.2 for all hardware. Available from Anthem's public download page.

Firmware is V1.33 for the D2 and V2.07 for the D2v. Also both available from Anthem's public download page for each model.

There is no newer firmware or ARC software at the moment on the password protected download page.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22597 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

How much does the picture quality of the player matter if we are using the D2V to do the processing via its video chips?

It never hurts to have the option of doing the work in either place.

In the case of the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player, I'm currently using it with the Oppo set to output 1080p for everything. That lets me use a few convenience features in the player (e.g., aspect ratio management and zoom control).

I know of a few examples where the D2v does a better job than the Oppo, but frankly the Oppo is so good that I feel quite comfortable using it this way so I can get at the convenience features.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #22598 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:

1) Yes
2) Not sure of your question
3) Dolby Volume is coming in a free firmware update.
4) I don't use analog ins, but it wasn't a factor for me.
5) Dead silent for me.

Why do you want to run all the video directly to the Kuro? I have the Kuro 150FD and I run everything through the D2v. Picture is GREAT...

2) Concerns the Room Correction Software. It looks like the Audyssey software is used by multiple vendors (Audyssey, Denon, Integra, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, LG, SVS, Insignia, Toshiba, IK Multimedia, etc.) and maybe more mature (more runtime, more debug time) than the ARC software being used by a single vendor.

I already use the DEQX software in my 2.1 channel system for speaker and room correction and know what it can do. My 2-channel room has an in-room response of [11Hz to 20KHz] +/- 5dB with the DEQX hardware/software combo.

3) I will read up on the Dolby Volume features. If it offers Commercial Volume suppression, then this bullet point is a non-issue.

I currently run HDMI video directly to my KURO and am quite pleased with it. I let the KURO handle any needed conversions. I consider it a cleaner signal path (fewer connections, switches, cables, configuration, software, etc.).

I would try the video switching in the pre/pro, but would assume Pioneer knows what it is doing in its flagship PRO Elite Monitor and flagship Blu-Ray player, especially when talking between their own product lines (Elite Blu-Ray 09FD). The 09FD already upconverts DVDs to 1080p so the panel only has to scale the DIRECTV HDMI video inputs.

I don't use any analog video inputs, so no need to upscale analog signals.

The only benefit I see using the switcher would be to get OSD overlays.

Thanks for your response.
Tim

----------------------------------------
Home Theater Room - Work In Progress
post #22599 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:

1) Yes
2) Not sure of your question
3) Dolby Volume is coming in a free firmware update.
4) I don't use analog ins, but it wasn't a factor for me.
5) Dead silent for me.

Why do you want to run all the video directly to the Kuro? I have the Kuro 150FD and I run everything through the D2v. Picture is GREAT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

You can call me a WISE GUY it you want.

But I would recommend you NOT buying a D2v.

Anyone who bypasses the D2v Video and Uses Analog
Inputs - DOES NOT WANT a D2v. You are still operating
in the DARK AGES

I told you - it is OK to call me a WISE GUY it you want.

DrHankz,

My Pro Elite Monitor already has HDMI switching in it, so I am able to remove a cable and another HDMI switching circuit from the video signal path.
1080P -> HDMI -> 1080P should be a cleaner (and cheaper) video path than
1080P -> HDMI -> 1080P -> HDMI -> 1080P.

I am currently using the internal decoders inside of my 09FD Blu-Ray which uses 8 top end Woflson DACs. Internal decoding is also supposed to reduce decode problems was well. I would A/B test the audio of a Pre/Pro to see which DAC set is better (I haven't been able to identify what DACs model numbers are being used in the D2V). If the HDMI audio works better decoded in the pre/pro, then I could use the 2nd HDMI output of my 09FD to feed the HDMI audio input of the pre/pro. The room correction software probably justifies the use of the HDMI to eliminate a second ADC and DAC cycle. In the end, it all comes down to which sounds better.

I don't think I am living in the Dark Ages, just trying to determine the best signal paths before plopping down a chunk of change.

Tim

post #22600 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

The Avm50v has no popping sound changing from source to source. I experience a slight pop during audio format changeover when watching BD from my PS3.

The only time I was worried about the pops is when my a35 HDdvd was playing and I changed the video configuration fron 24fps to 60 fps and a loud POP was heard.
post #22601 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:

2) Concerns the Room Correction Software. It looks like the Audyssey software is used by multiple vendors (Audyssey, Denon, Integra, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, LG, SVS, Insignia, Toshiba, IK Multimedia, etc.) and maybe more mature (more runtime, more debug time) than the ARC software being used by a single vendor.

I already use the DEQX software in my 2.1 channel system for speaker and room correction and know what it can do. My 2-channel room has an in-room response of [11Hz to 20KHz] +/- 5dB with the DEQX hardware/software combo.

3) I will read up on the Dolby Volume features. If it offers Commercial Volume suppression, then this bullet point is a non-issue.

I currently run HDMI video directly to my KURO and am quite pleased with it. I let the KURO handle any needed conversions. I consider it a cleaner signal path (fewer connections, switches, cables, configuration, software, etc.).

I would try the video switching in the pre/pro, but would assume Pioneer knows what it is doing in its flagship PRO Elite Monitor and flagship Blu-Ray player, especially when talking between their own product lines (Elite Blu-Ray 09FD). The 09FD already upconverts DVDs to 1080p so the panel only has to scale the DIRECTV HDMI video inputs.

I don't use any analog video inputs, so no need to upscale analog signals.

The only benefit I see using the switcher would be to get OSD overlays.

Thanks for your response.
Tim

Tim,

Here ia a nice article on ARC from Kal.

http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...itr/index.html

I have last years Pioneer top of the line Kuro panel and thought the same as you. All my video was connected directly to the Pio. After doing quite a bit of A/B testing I settled on the Anthem doing the switching and video processing. Give it a try you might just be surprised...

Good luck on your decision.

Ken
post #22602 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

1) Yes. But if you are not using the video portion you might want to look at other processors. If your viewing is almost all TV (limited Blu-Ray, DVD, or analog audio), I would get the 9.9.
2) ARC is better than the base Audessey available without a professional room calibration. If you never change your room, speakers, etc. then paying for the calibration is an option, but any room changes require a recalibration. The ARC allows the user to make the changes, Audessey requires a professional calibration to match the abilities or ARC. If you can get the license and do the advanced Audessey yourself, then I would say the softwares are very comparable.
3) The upcoming Dolby software upgrade might include this??
4) This is one thing that Anthem messed up on and I miss it from my previous 9.8. However, I am not sure why you would need this with mostly TV viewing.
5) I had a hum with my 9.8 and my balanced amplifiers, no hum with the D2v.

The main areas (for me) that the D2v beat out the 9.8:

1. Better customer service (Onkyo service is bad).
2. Analog performance - the D2v is much better than the 9.8s. The Anthem allows you to apply the room corrections, crossovers, etc to the 5.1 external inputs, the Onkyo is a straight pass through (unless this has changed for the 9.9).
3. See my answer on the software above.

Mike

Mike,

1) I have a Pioneer Elite 09FD for CD, DVD and Blu-Ray. It upscales to 1080P. My other source is a DIRECTV HD-DVR box. No analog video sources. I have a separate 2.1 channel room for critical listening and would like my HT room to sound more like my 2.1 channel room (without the same price tag =).

2) My rooms change from time to time, so I know I need to recalibrate accordingly. I already priced out the Audessey pro-kit and license. I configured my 2.1 channel room with the DEQX software, so I am pretty sure I can figure out how to measure and calibrate the pro-kit if needed. Thanks for the comparison on the software packages.

4) 7.1 was to A/B test the Blu-Ray decoding against the pre-pro decoders. With the room correction software, it is probably better to use the HDMI audio outs of the Blu-Ray to the pre-pro.

5) I do not want hum. I use an Equi=Tech 2QR balanced power unit that relys on common-mode rejection (i.e. a 3-prong plug). I read the facs page on the D2V and understand that it is doubly insulated (like some power tools), but all of my doubly insulated power tools have 3 prong plugs unlike the D2V. Maybe I could change the IEC on the D2V and tie the ground to the chassis if I have any hum issues.

Thanks,
Tim

post #22603 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Tim,

Here ia a nice article on ARC from Kal.

http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...itr/index.html

I have last years Pioneer top of the line Kuro panel and thought the same as you. All my video was connected directly to the Pio. After doing quite a bit of A/B testing I settled on the Anthem doing the switching and video processing. Give it a try you might just be surprised...

Good luck on your decision.

Ken,

Thanks for the article.

It doesn't hurt to have options =). Maybe, I could keep it hooked up both ways. I am sure the wifey would like a single remote solution so she doesn't have to understand audio and video switching.

FWIW, I started out with the 141FD Kuro and a previous generation Pioneer Elite DVD play (59 something). The picture looked nice, but when I hooked both up to the Equi=Tech, the picture and colors really popped. I have since upgraded to the Blu-Ray 09FD and retired the 59 to the master bedroom. The balanced power unit really dialed-in the picture without touching any of the calibration controls. It also helped the DIRECTV picture. I had HD content pre-recorded and it also looked much better after adding the balanced power unit.

The DVD 59(720p)/141FD/Equi=Tech combo had a better picture than my local high end store's setup with their latest Pioneer Blu-Ray(1080p)/141FD combo. I was using the DVD version of their Blu-Ray disc to compare the picture quality. Even using DVD upscaled to 720p, the picture was better than their Blu-Ray disc at 1080p. The only difference I could tell was the use of balanced power unit (cables were probably different too). If you haven't tried one, you should test one out.

Tim

post #22604 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think I am living in the Dark Ages, just trying to determine the best signal paths before plopping down a chunk of change.

Tim

The best signal path is Digital NOT ANALOG.
post #22605 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am currently using the internal decoders inside of my 09FD Blu-Ray which uses 8 top end Woflson DACs.

Tim

Wow - TOP END Woflson DACs means they are using the $3 chip instead of the $0.31 DAC
post #22606 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D2V Owners,

Thanks for your help,
Tim

The 9.9 is a great deal for <$1K. It has a lot of features and some nice capabilities.

However, it's not even in the same league as the D2v. You can't simply compare things like # of inputs and prong-plugs, but if that's what you are mostly focused on you should definitely get the 9.9 and save some cash.

If you want the best sound possible, and one of the best pictures possible, with the ability to fine tune absolutely everything, then the D2v is what you want. But you didn't really ask about sound or picture quality, or the pieces that make that up. And that all comes with a price, and can't really be appreciated by most people, and definitely isn't worth it for most people. Sort of like a $200 bottle of wine.

So based on your questions (and subsequent questions), I definitely think the 9.9 is what you should get, and you'll love it!

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #22607 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

So based on your questions (and subsequent questions), I definitely think the 9.9 is what you should get, and you'll love it!

Three Cheers for AbMagFab and Three Anthem Mascots __
post #22608 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
So inquiring minds want to know..... How much is the Audyssey pro kit running these days.....?
post #22609 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Wow - TOP END Woflson DACs means they are using the $3 chip instead of the $0.31 DAC

What part numbers does the D2V use ???

post #22610 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

So inquiring minds want to know..... How much is the Audyssey pro kit running these days.....?

Hi Warpdrv,

I was getting quotes of @ $2.5K for both the hardware and pro software. From the article that Ken posted, it appears that the Audyssey software slightly out-performed the ARC software in side-by-side comparisons in the same venue. Since the article was published, I am sure both software solutions have advanced.

Tim

post #22611 of 42998 Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

The 9.9 is a great deal for <$1K. It has a lot of features and some nice capabilities.

However, it's not even in the same league as the D2v. You can't simply compare things like # of inputs and prong-plugs, but if that's what you are mostly focused on you should definitely get the 9.9 and save some cash.

If you want the best sound possible, and one of the best pictures possible, with the ability to fine tune absolutely everything, then the D2v is what you want. But you didn't really ask about sound or picture quality, or the pieces that make that up. And that all comes with a price, and can't really be appreciated by most people, and definitely isn't worth it for most people. Sort of like a $200 bottle of wine.

Hi AbMagFan,

Thanks for the informative feedback. The cartridge on my 2 channel system is in the same price range as these pre/pros. Being such, the cost delta between these 2 units is not an issue for me.

FWIW, I don't drink, so $200 on wine doesn't do anything for me, even though I have spent thousands of dollars on it for others who do enjoy it.

I already have the picture quality handled with my existing configuration. FWIW, the Pro Elite 141FD Monitor exposes the technician level calibration screens to the user.

I am mainly trying to determine the best sound quality and audio features including software functionality. I have already heard both units, but not in the same venue with the same equipment so it is very hard to compare them in this fashion (different room, speakers, amps, etc.). I have friends with higher end pre/pros but they all have hardware and coddec issues. I would like to avoid these problems if possible.

Tim

post #22612 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It never hurts to have the option of doing the work in either place.

In the case of the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player, I'm currently using it with the Oppo set to output 1080p for everything. That lets me use a few convenience features in the player (e.g., aspect ratio management and zoom control).

I know of a few examples where the D2v does a better job than the Oppo, but frankly the Oppo is so good that I feel quite comfortable using it this way so I can get at the convenience features.
--Bob

Thanks, Bob for the replies.

Do you keep the Oppo at 1080p24 for everything including DVDs, or do you use 1080p60 for DVDs?

Still waiting for some reviews of the Denon 2010CI to decide between it and the Oppo. RS-232 is a must for me.

I can't wait until I replace my Samsung BD-P1400.

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
post #22613 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Warpdrv,

I was getting quotes of @ $2.5K for both the hardware and pro software. From the article that Ken posted, it appears that the Audyssey software slightly out-performed the ARC software in side-by-side comparisons in the same venue. Since the article was published, I am sure both software solutions have advanced.

Tim

HOLY SPIT... I had no idea that it was that expensive... I thought it was only a few hundred $$'s add on...

Thanks
post #22614 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks, Bob for the replies.

Do you keep the Oppo at 1080p24 for everything including DVDs, or do you use 1080p60 for DVDs?

Still waiting for some reviews of the Denon 2010CI to decide between it and the Oppo. RS-232 is a must for me.

I can't wait until I replace my Samsung BD-P1400.

I use 1080p/24 = Auto and DVD/24 = OFF in the Oppo.

My display doesn't support /24 input. These settings mean the Oppo automatically sends 1080p/24 for Blu-Ray movies and 1080p/60 for Blu-Ray live concert style discs (i.e., what comes off the disc in both cases) and 1080p/60 for all SD-DVDs. The D2v then converts Blu-Ray movies to /60 for my display. There's no point in having the Oppo convert SD-DVDs to /24 since the D2v would just have to return them to /60 for my display anyway.

There's no particularly good reason why I don't have the Oppo do the conversion of 1080p/24 to 1080p/60 for Blu-Ray movies as well except that leaving the /24 in place means I get some additional HDMI handshakes (for the Beta testing I'm doing for Oppo as well as testing how the D2v handles that as input).
--Bob

post #22615 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

HOLY SPIT... I had no idea that it was that expensive... I thought it was only a few hundred $$'s add on...

Thanks

I think that price might include the cost of the 9.9, plus the hardware and license??

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #22616 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

Extremely interesting....for existing D2 owners, the benefit of the new VP in the D2v is really moot if one is using the BDP-83 and tapping into the power of its AB VRS VP. Moreover, I gather if one's display also has a capable CMS, then no need to "upgrade" from D2 to D2v for video purposes....just wait for the D3 or equivalent.
post #22617 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Warpdrv,
Sorry for the confusion. That included the DHC 9.9, Audussey pro-kit and license.
Tim

post #22618 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppacreek View Post

Extremely interesting....for existing D2 owners, the benefit of the new VP in the D2v is really moot if one is using the BDP-83 and tapping into the power of its AB VRS VP. Moreover, I gather if one's display also has a capable CMS, then no need to "upgrade" from D2 to D2v for video purposes....just wait for the D3 or equivalent.

If that's the only player you use, and you have no other video sources (e.g., cable or satellite TV) and if your display can not benefit from the extra video processing bit depth in the D2v (36 bit, which can be output as 36 bit to a Deep Color display, vs. 30 bit which can be output as only up to 24 bit in the D2) then perhaps so. In my case, I would never want to revert back to the older video processor even though I am using the Oppo as my primary player.

And of course that doesn't even consider the other stuff in the D2v such as additional HDMI sockets, and improved audio processing.
--Bob

post #22619 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Warpdrv,

Tim

Quote:

Warpdrv,
Sorry for the confusion. That included the DHC 9.9, Audussey pro-kit and license.
Tim

ok that sounds much better, now I wonder what it costs to
to get decent customer service out of Onkyo/Integra hmmmm
post #22620 of 42998 Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi AbMagFan,

Thanks for the informative feedback. The cartridge on my 2 channel system is in the same price range as these pre/pros. Being such, the cost delta between these 2 units is not an issue for me.

FWIW, I don't drink, so $200 on wine doesn't do anything for me, even though I have spent thousands of dollars on it for others who do enjoy it.

I already have the picture quality handled with my existing configuration. FWIW, the Pro Elite 141FD Monitor exposes the technician level calibration screens to the user.

I am mainly trying to determine the best sound quality and audio features including software functionality. I have already heard both units, but not in the same venue with the same equipment so it is very hard to compare them in this fashion (different room, speakers, amps, etc.). I have friends with higher end pre/pros but they all have hardware and coddec issues. I would like to avoid these problems if possible.

Tim

What speakers do you have?

In terms of sound, there's no question the D2v is superior. The internal components, the 192/24 upconversion of everything, ARC, etc., all make it superior. Is it $5K superior? Up to you.

In terms of video, multiple people have mentioned to you that the Kuro is not the ideal place to do be doing the video switching, with lots of reasons mentioned. So while you continue to dismiss the VP of the D2v, I think you might be making a mistake here. And if you include VP, the D2v is light years ahead of the 9.9.

In terms of support, there's not even a comparison. Onkyo has horrible support for the first 12 months, and then completely abandons products within 12 months, with no future firmware updates. I would never buy an Onkyo again except for a tertiary room or some general whole-house background audio speakers.

To be honest, I'm not sure how we're getting into a comparison of the Onkyo 9.9 with the D2v. It's sort of like comparing a Ford with a Lexus - they both drive and have similar general features, but they're not in the same league.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page