Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 769 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #23041 of 43014 Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
I use XP, but Vista is likely similar. Look in Windows Help for the key combo to Screen Capture Active Window. It will be something like Alt PrintScreen.

That captures to the clipboard. What I do is paste into Windows Paint and then Save As to a file -- using JPEG file format to keep the file small.

You can't get all the charts visible at once. So scroll to the top of the ARC charts window and capture that. Then scroll to the bottom to get the rest. That's 2 images. Then switch between Movie and Music charts in the ARC view menu and capture them. Then bring up the Targets window and capture that.

5 image files in all which you can attach to a post here using the Manage Attachments section below the post type in area.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23042 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Member
 
CharlieU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb View Post

...Still waiting for my AVM50v to come in. It's been 5 long weeks! I hope its not obsolete by the time I get it!

Aram

Are these hard to get? I plan on ordering one from one of my local dealers this week. Not that the wait would kill me.

The "obsolete" line is cute. I see it in all the prepro threads from people either waiting for promised features to show up or for the prepro to finally hit the market. I think we have a few years before we see game changer features like HD audio and HDMI come along again. It will take me that long to figure out all the features in the AVM.

Good luck, I hope we both see our AVM's soon.
CharlieU is offline  
post #23043 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So.... when is this coming? These have been out a while now, with an advertised feature that isn't available. Calls of "false advertising" are going to be coming soon!

Although I'm guessing most of us will hate the likely dynamic range compression, no matter what Dolby marketing material claims...

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #23044 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
I've no idea what the delay is. I was guessing it would be out in June.

Last I heard (March as I recall) it was working fine and they were just polishing up the user interface so that users would be less likely to screw up the settings and make it sound bad.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23045 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
For those of you who've been tempted to take the gamble and install "Test" V2.07f in your D2v or AVM 50v, but have been, quite rightly, scared off by the *SCARY WARNING!* that a failure of the install may leave you with no recourse but to send the unit back to the Anthem factory in Canada for corrective re-programming, here's some stuff to consider:

Apparently the problem is that if the install fails while the video board is being programmed it may leave the board in a state where it will not reset properly when you retry the install (of any version). The big risk factor here is that your Serial connection to the Anthem may not be reliable, and that it may glitch at just the wrong time -- while the video board is being programmed. The current Flash Eraser recovery utility will not fix this.

Presumably Anthem will need to address this video board resetting issue before this firmware becomes "official". Perhaps by the addition of another utility like Flash Eraser.

However, one thing you can do to judge the gamble is to exercise your Serial connection by re-installing "official" V2.07 firmware on top of itself several times.

----------------------------------

Make sure you have the latest drivers for using your particular Serial port on your particular Windows computer. If you want to use a USB/Serial adapter, the Keyspan USA-19HS adapter is definitely the one to use (with the sole exception being folks using VMWare Fusion 2 on Mac hardware who report a Belkin adapter works better). Depending on how long the Keyspan you purchase has been sitting on the peg, the drivers included in the package with it may not be the latest drivers.

Each time you do the re-install of "official" V2.07, do it just like you were doing it the first time. Remove wall power from everything in your system except for the Anthem and your Windows computer (to make sure you have no powered HDMI connections), and do a new Reset Factory Defaults prior to each re-install.

I also suggest you reboot your Windows computer prior to each re-install to have things in as close to an identical state as possible.

And make sure you have NO PROGRAMS running on your Windows PC. For example, if Windows Messenger starts up at boot and runs in the background, find its icon in the Task Bar and Exit out of it.

------------------------------------------

If you can do several re-installs (say 2 or 3) of "official" V2.07 without a hiccup, then I think the odds are pretty good you can install "Test" V2.07f without problems.

Understand that this is still a gamble, but the odds are much more in your favor if you already know your current Serial connection setup works reliably for re-installing "official" V2.07.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23046 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jayray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got a new Transporter 3 disc and it still causes a crackling, popping sound while playing 7.1 bitstreamed to my D2v. Oppo asked me to change my anthem to 5.1 and see if that made diff and it did, no crackling sound. When I hit select on my remote and it shows 7.1 coming in and 5.1 going out, as it should. Nick is aware of this and has sent it to the software engineers. As for my dropout in Ratatouille, oppo is looking into that. BTW, this dropout occurs whether pcm or bitstreaming.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
jayray is offline  
post #23047 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Newbie
 
htaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Bob here my room is there anything that needs improvements? thanks John
LL
LL
htaudio is offline  
post #23048 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by htaudio View Post

Hi Bob here my room is there anything that needs improvements? thanks John

Three things come to mind. Your basic volume level is about 15dB higher than I would normally recommend.

Go through the procedure where you set all the volume trims to 0, then adjust Test Level to get 75dB SPL from the LF speaker, and finally adjust the volume knob in your sub to generate 75dB SPL given that same Test Level and still a 0dB volume trim in the Anthem.

ARC will use the Setup > Speaker Calibration > Test Level (or Noise Level in the older units) to set the volume of its test sweep tones, and done this way you've also pre-configured your sub's volume to be roughly in balance already when using that Test Level.

Ballpark adjustments are fine for both of these as ARC will do all the fine adjustment.

Usually a basic volume level set up this high in the ARC solution means it is having trouble finding a combo of settings to balance all the speakers -- and usually it is the sub that is the culprit.

This change will require re-Measurement.

-------------------------

Next your Room Gain is perhaps a little low. You didn't post your Targets window so I'm not sure what ARC discovered there. If you are below 2dB you might want to try raising up that Target value (leave the Force box checked) and see if you like the sound of that better.

This change can be done just be re-Calculating and re-Uploading. No need to re-Measure.

-------------------------

Finally your surrounds are a little weak in bass -- causing ARC to set the crossover kind of high for them. This is not that big a deal but if you have an adjustment in them to produce more bass (e.g., a bass port that can be opened) that would get a better match to your front speakers.

Otherwise I think you are in good shape.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23049 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I got a new Transporter 3 disc and it still causes a crackling, popping sound while playing 7.1 bitstreamed to my D2v. Oppo asked me to change my anthem to 5.1 and see if that made diff and it did, no crackling sound. When I hit select on my remote and it shows 7.1 coming in and 5.1 going out, as it should. Nick is aware of this and has sent it to the software engineers. As for my dropout in Ratatouille, oppo is looking into that. BTW, this dropout occurs whether pcm or bitstreaming.
John

Are you still on V2.07 or have you moved to V2.07f?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23050 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jayray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bob,
I'm using 2.07f and the oppo has the last experimental version. Tested the Ratatouille today and no audio dropout. I repeated this several times. Go figure. I also emptied the persistent storage on the oppo just in case.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
jayray is offline  
post #23051 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Newbie
 
htaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Bob thanks for your feed back on this I been having trouble getting good bass out of my sub I have a velodyne optimum 12 with eq which turn to direct to bypass the eq I had to change the phase to 180 to get decent bass coming out of sub in the d2v.here's my targets you ask for thanks John.
LL
htaudio is offline  
post #23052 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does it look like the impending release of firmware for D2s will NOT support the oldest D2s?

I have a green video board AND a humongous toroidal transformer. My D2 was made sometime between April - June of 2006. I think that qualifies for the senior citizen discount

The last firmware for original D2 was June 2008. I'm hoping I don't have the final firmware...

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #23053 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thestewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 1,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

For those of you who've been tempted to take the gamble and install "Test" V2.07f in your D2v or AVM 50v, but have been, quite rightly, scared off by the *SCARY WARNING!* that a failure of the install may leave you with no recourse but to send the unit back to the Anthem factory in Canada for corrective re-programming, here's some stuff to consider:

Apparently the problem is that if the install fails while the video board is being programmed it may leave the board in a state where it will not reset properly when you retry the install (of any version). The big risk factor here is that your Serial connection to the Anthem may not be reliable, and that it may glitch at just the wrong time -- while the video board is being programmed. The current Flash Eraser recovery utility will not fix this.

Presumably Anthem will need to address this video board resetting issue before this firmware becomes "official". Perhaps by the addition of another utility like Flash Eraser.

However, one thing you can do to judge the gamble is to exercise your Serial connection by re-installing "official" V2.07 firmware on top of itself several times.

--Bob

Does Anthem have a reason they haven't added a USB port so the serial interface for updates is not necessary ?
thestewman is offline  
post #23054 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
/dev/null's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob-
Is there a website, post(somewhere in this thread?), or white paper that describes the ARC Target Settings in more detail? I have lots of questions, and I don't want to fill this thread up if I don't have to. Some of the ponderings include: Is the resonance filter pre or post room eq? Does changing the filter after uploading settings change the settings? What are the details of the advanced page.. i.e. Room gain, and the individual speaker targets?

Thanks....

Peter M

******This space for rent******
/dev/null is offline  
post #23055 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Peter,
A lot of tutorial and reference material will be found in the collection of post links in the first post of this thread. See the ARC related post links.

You'll discover for example that Room Resonance Filter is simply ignored for any Source with Room EQ ON.

Check through those posts and the ARC setup chapter of the Manual. If you still have questions, feel free to post them here.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23056 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Does Anthem have a reason they haven't added a USB port so the serial interface for updates is not necessary ?

Serial is still required for custom controller installations.

Beyond that it just takes engineering time.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23057 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Does it look like the impending release of firmware for D2s will NOT support the oldest D2s?

I have a green video board AND a humongous toroidal transformer. My D2 was made sometime between April - June of 2006. I think that qualifies for the senior citizen discount

The last firmware for original D2 was June 2008. I'm hoping I don't have the final firmware...

We don't yet know one way or the other. My guess is that in porting the new HDMI code to the original units they just wanted to simplify testing to start by limiting it to the latter hardware configuration.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23058 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by htaudio View Post

Hi Bob thanks for your feed back on this I been having trouble getting good bass out of my sub I have a velodyne optimum 12 with eq which turn to direct to bypass the eq I had to change the phase to 180 to get decent bass coming out of sub in the d2v.here's my targets you ask for thanks John.

It is important to get Phase correct for your sub. See the post links in the first post of this thread for help.

Phase aside, your sub looks OK to me.

Only your rear has a highish crossover. The sides look ok. So no real problem.

Try forcing 2 or 2.5 dB of Room Gain and see if you like the sound better. Your room Measures a little flat at 1.6.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23059 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Member
 
Dubauskas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello... this is a huge thread and I can't seem to find the answer.

I have a line on a D2 for about 4k. What is the difference between the D2 and D2v?

Is the D2 upgradable to D2V... if so for how much?

Thanks in Advance!!! - Dave
Dubauskas is offline  
post #23060 of 43014 Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubauskas View Post

Hello... this is a huge thread and I can't seem to find the answer.

I have a line on a D2 for about 4k. What is the difference between the D2 and D2v?

Is the D2 upgradable to D2V... if so for how much?

Thanks in Advance!!! - Dave

First question is covered in the first post.

Second question answer: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16967454

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #23061 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Member
 
duckwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

This may have been covered before but I haven't seen it. Can you have the anthem display the video from one HDMI input and play the audio from another? This would be for a HTPC where to get 7.1 linear PCM.

Cheers,
Abe
duckwood is offline  
post #23062 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckwood View Post

Hi,

This may have been covered before but I haven't seen it. Can you have the anthem display the video from one HDMI input and play the audio from another? This would be for a HTPC where to get 7.1 linear PCM.

Cheers,
Abe

Sorry, no. HDMI audio is always embedded in an HDMI video signal -- even if that's just a black screen. And so the HDMI video has to be "processed" to extract the audio from it. Since there is only one HDMI input video processing path in the Anthem, you can't mix two HDMI inputs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23063 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ninja12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a D2 V1.33 with ARC V2.2. When I do my measurements, my room gain is 0. So, I decided to play a little trick on ARC. I did my normal measurements and moved the mic around when prompted by ARC. After my normal measurement was over, I did another measurement just from the main listening position only. So, this time, I didn't move the mic when prompted by ARC. I just left it at the main listening position. At the end, ARC came up with a room gain of 2.046981. So, I decided to use that for my room gain for movie and music. So, I was wondering what's your opinion about that little trick to get room gain from ARC?
ninja12 is offline  
post #23064 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I have a D2 V1.33 with ARC V2.2. When I do my measurements, my room gain is 0. So, I decided to play a little trick on ARC. I did my normal measurements and moved the mic around when prompted by ARC. After my normal measurement was over, I did another measurement just from the main listening position only. So, this time, I didn't move the mic when prompted by ARC. I just left it at the main listening position. At the end, ARC came up with a room gain of 2.046981. So, I decided to use that for my room gain for movie and music. So, I was wondering what's your opinion about that little trick to get room gain from ARC?

Bumping the room gain up to 2.whatever in the advanced arc set-up is fine,even rcommended. But I would suggest that you use the arc results that were calculated when moving the mic to the five different positions, as Anthem suggests. Just change the room gain in the settings up to 2.0xx.
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
tngiloy is offline  
post #23065 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ninja12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Bumping the room gain up to 2.whatever in the advanced arc set-up is fine,even rcommended. But I would suggest that you use the arc results that were calculated when moving the mic to the five different positions, as Anthem suggests. Just change the room gain in the settings up to 2.0xx.
Tom

ARC's room gain, for me after the normal measurements, is 0. That's why I just did the final measurements at the main listening position, without moving the mic, to determine what it would be just at the main listening position.
ninja12 is offline  
post #23066 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Member
 
duckwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok thanks Bob!
duckwood is offline  
post #23067 of 43014 Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

ARC's room gain, for me after the normal measurements, is 0. That's why I just did the final measurements at the main listening position, without moving the mic, to determine what it would be just at the main listening position.

I think what Tom was suggesting to you was to manually set the Room Gain in the software - overriding the software's determination of 0. Then upload to the D2/AVM50.

The way you are doing it, you are 'falsifying' a measurement (instead of overriding). So you are giving the ARC software 'garbage' data. With the override, the adjustment you make is an explicit command to the software.

I'm sure the difference in the two methods is audible...

There may be some reason ARC is setting Room Gain at 0. I would look at other posts where ARC determined a gain of 0 and see what kinds of things might cause that.

I bet Bob will have a more specific suggestion...

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #23068 of 43014 Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Newbie
 
htaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htaudio View Post

Hi Bob thanks for your feed back on this I been having trouble getting good bass out of my sub I have a velodyne optimum 12 with eq which turn to direct to bypass the eq I had to change the phase to 180 to get decent bass coming out of sub in the d2v.here's my targets you ask for thanks John.

HI Bob here my new results since I brought the db down but now my right surround it seems that arc could not correct it at 200, is there anything can do to get it there? any help on improvments would be appreciative, hey thanks for the insight and help thus far. John bob I was wondering why arc put my front at 60hz? when all 3 speakers will go down to 38hz and my rears are suppose to go down to 80hz and they are set at different hz.
LL
LL
LL
htaudio is offline  
post #23069 of 43014 Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ninja12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

I think what Tom was suggesting to you was to manually set the Room Gain in the software - overriding the software's determination of 0. Then upload to the D2/AVM50.

The way you are doing it, you are 'falsifying' a measurement (instead of overriding). So you are giving the ARC software 'garbage' data. With the override, the adjustment you make is an explicit command to the software.

I'm sure the difference in the two methods is audible...

There may be some reason ARC is setting Room Gain at 0. I would look at other posts where ARC determined a gain of 0 and see what kinds of things might cause that.

I bet Bob will have a more specific suggestion...

Let me try to clarify exactly what I did. Ok. First of all, I did 2 measurements. The first measurement I moved the mic to the 5 different listening positions. At the end of that measurement, my room gain was 0. So, I saved that measurement on my PC. My second measurement which was a throw away measurement, I just left the mic at the main listening position. So, after taking the measurement for the main listening position and prompted to move the mic to the second listening position, I just left the mic at the main listening position instead of moving the mic to the second listening position. I continued to leave the mic at the main listening position for the 5 measurements. At the end of my second throw away measurement, I brought up the Target Window and saw what the room gain was. Then, I brought up my first set of measurements, and I put in the room gain from the second measurement which was my room gain only measurement. Then I uploaded my first set of measurements with the room gain from the second measurement to my D2. So, instead of just putting in 2.0 or 2.5 like I normally do, I just put in the room gain from the second measurement that ARC came up with.
ninja12 is offline  
post #23070 of 43014 Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Let me try to clarify exactly what I did. Ok. First of all, I did 2 measurements. The first measurement I moved the mic to the 5 different listening positions. At the end of that measurement, my room gain was 0. So, I saved that measurement on my PC. My second measurement which was a throw away measurement, I just left the mic at the main listening position. So, after taking the measurement for the main listening position and prompted to move the mic to the second listening position, I just left the mic at the main listening position instead of moving the mic to the second listening position. I continued to leave the mic at the main listening position for the 5 measurements. At the end of my second throw away measurement, I brought up the Target Window and saw what the room gain was. Then, I brought up my first set of measurements, and I put in the room gain from the second measurement which was my room gain only measurement. Then I uploaded my first set of measurements with the room gain from the second measurement to my D2. So, instead of just putting in 2.0 or 2.5 like I normally do, I just put in the room gain from the second measurement that ARC came up with.

Two thoughts. First you should try to understand WHY ARC is coming up with zero Room Gain in your normal Measurements. Often this can be seen in the charts. Look for a dip near or just above the crossover frequencies. Typically this is an uncorrected Room Cancelation response, but sometimes it reflects poor internal crossover settings in the main speakers.

Fixing a problem like that is always the preferred solution.

----------------------

The fact that you got more Room Gain at mic position #1 than at all the positions also suggests a room response problem.

----------------------

Second, the ear is probably not that sensitive to fine differences in choice of Room gain. If you pick a Room Gain to Force of, say, 2.5dB, that's probably just as good as finding a more "correct" number near that point.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off