Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 772 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #23131 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Member
 
AltaHomeTheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bob,
Thanks for the reassurance. This is the first problem I have ever had with D2 so a little nerve racking.

After I posted, I searched and found that MLBrand (07-05-08, 08:14 PM - post 14752) had exactly the same issue. He was able to fix using the flash eraser.

I will post after discussion with Tech Support.

Thanks
Darryl
AltaHomeTheatre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23132 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post

Bob,
Thanks for the reassurance. This is the first problem I have ever had with D2 so a little nerve racking.

After I posted, I searched and found that MLBrand (07-05-08, 08:14 PM - post 14752) had exactly the same issue. He was able to fix using the flash eraser.

I will post after discussion with Tech Support.

Thanks
Darryl

So maybe my memory ain't so bad after all!

The key thing when you do talk to them, in addition to verifying the proper recovery procedure and getting access to the Flash Eraser, is to see if they know why this happens and if they have any workaround to keep it from happening again -- for example, some setting change or other thing you should do before removing power from the D2 for an extended time -- if indeed that really is the cause.

Obviously many folks here have unplugged and moved or stored their D2s without any such problem.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is like the situation with some computers when their rechargeable internal battery -- the thing that keeps their clock going while they are unplugged -- loses its ability to take a charge. When they are eventually unplugged, that battery drains too fast, and some internal settings don't get retained properly.

But I don't know of any such part in the D2.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23133 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Member
 
hrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my d2 and have run into a problem. When watching Directv and switching between high def channels and SD channels sometimes the D2 will lose the signal. I have to switch to a different source(like VCR) and then back to SAT to relock the signal. Any thoughts?
Thanks
HR
hrada is offline  
post #23134 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrada View Post

I just set up my d2 and have run into a problem. When watching Directv and switching between high def channels and SD channels sometimes the D2 will lose the signal. I have to switch to a different source(like VCR) and then back to SAT to relock the signal. Any thoughts?
Thanks
HR

The easiest answer is to switch to Component video and Optical Digital audio from your DirecTV box. For the contents coming in on that box, this cabling will give you everything that HDMI does without the hassle. Even if you really want to stay with HDMI for video, switching to Optical for audio will avoid the delay in startup of audio after the video signal locks in.

Now for HDMI, another easy fix is to set the DirecTV box to output 1080i for everything. That eliminates most of the handshakes.

OK, so much for the easy answers. The problem you are having is a failure of the HDMI handshake. The first thing you should consider is upgrading your HDMI cables, particularly if you have a long run to your TV. Also keep in mind the HDMI plugs are just a friction fit. Make sure they are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket, and that there is no strain on the plug tugging it in any direction (such as the weight of the cable). It only takes a little bit of looseness to make the connection marginal.

That sort of thing aside, Anthem is working on new firmware for the original D2 with new HDMI code. There is a "test" version of that out now. I'm not sure when the new firmware will be released for general use. But the reports on the "test" version have been encouraging.

The "official" firmware for your D2 at the moment is V1.33. If you bought your D2 used, check to see if it has older firmware and upgrade to v1.33 if so. Press Select once on the remote to see the firmware version number in the display.

Oh, and welcome to the Cool Kids Thread!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23135 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Member
 
AltaHomeTheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I wanted to post a follow-up on my D2 issues.

Piero (Anthem Tech) returned my call and said this is likely the result of a "collapsing power supply". He said this can happen when the D2 is connected to an external power source (in my case a Furman PL-8) and the power shuts down to it before the D2 is shut off. He told me the possible effect on the D2 power supply, but I wont get it right so I wont attempt to repeat.

Piero recommended that the D2 be turned off and unplugged before the external source.

In my case, I believe the breaker was turned off - which shut everything down in an incorrect sequence.

Bob, you were right on with your diagnosis. No problems with your memory. After running the flash eraser and reloading the firmware; all is working properly. The only issue I had is that the eraser application could not locate my D2 until I moved to a PC with an actual serial port (not USB to Serial).

Darryl
AltaHomeTheatre is offline  
post #23136 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Glad to hear your D2 is back in the land of the living!

The explanation is interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I'll have to think about that.

As it turns out, I've got my D2v on an APC-brand battery backup supply so that I don't have to sit through a reboot time if there is a momentary glitch in the wall power.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23137 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Member
 
ragdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On using Direct TV I found that better cables work. Also setting all to 1080 helped and finally at times you just need to turn off the sat box and then turn it back on with your remote. I think Anthem has to resolve the HDMI thing better but have posted this thought before.
ragdog is offline  
post #23138 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Member
 
hrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. thanks i will switch over to component and digital out to resolve the handshake issue. Will i be missing anything by not using hdmi?
HR
hrada is offline  
post #23139 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Member
 
hrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other strange issue I have run into. I have my xbox 360 hooked up via hdmi to D2. I have to set the xbox 360 to stereo out put in order to get sound when on the xbox 360 dashboard. If I set the xbox to 5.1 I get no sound at all(however video games like rockband in 5.1 work). Very strange. Any thoughts?
Not sure if this is related but I notice when i switch to 5.1 directv stations the volume from the d2 drops and it sounds like something is missing in the audio.
Thanks
HR
hrada is offline  
post #23140 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It is not available on the Internet yet.

It probably will be in a week or so.

But you can find the PDF File HERE
drhankz is offline  
post #23141 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure if I've found a processing flaw in the D2 or not but let's hear what you guys think:

I had an Oppo 980 for dvd and PS3 for bluray. Just consolidated to the Oppo bluray player for both dvd and bluray. I've set the Oppo to output pcm since I have a D2.

I had been thinking that although the bass was good, it just wasn't quite what I had expected from bluray with ARC and my firepower (large ATC speakers and 4 JL F113 subs in a custom built room). I figured that one of my settings must've been off or something or perhaps the Oppo bluray had the lfe bug or something. Or perhaps my ARC file had been corrupted. All kinds of thoughts in my head so today I finally got around to fiddling with the system.

I had also been wondering why the soundstaging seemed to be "front-heavy" with less sound from the rears than I had thought I had experienced previously. With 2 small kids I haven't had as much time to spend in here as I would like but I could have sworn that it was more immersive before. The deciding factor came when I watched Knowing with Nicholas Cage. Most reviews gave it a 5+ rating for audio quality and bass etc... I thought it was a little bright and forward sounding but not bad. I'll cut to the chase...

I have a 6.x setup with a rear centre-channel. I set the D2 to do ProLogic IIx but it defaults to Dolby EX - I guess you have to actually have 7 speakers for ProLogicIIx.
I happened to be using a copy of Digital Video Essentials to see if I had the lfe bug or something. When the band-limited pink noise pans around the room you could tell it was quieter in the rear. I pulled out the RS digital spl meter and checked in the Anthem speaker level menu and all 6 speakers and sub were about the same within a db. I then ran the DVE band-limited pink noise and the front 3 speakers were at 75db, the sub was at 85db (hooray, no lfe bug!) but the rear 3 speakers were at 70-71db. I rechecked in the Anthem setup menu and it was correct in there so it must be a processing thing. I changed the Oppo to output bitstream for Dolby Digital and then remeasured with the DVE disc and to my surprise, the 3 rear levels were around 74db. I still had my PS3 so I repeated the testing with that and it also showed a drop in the surround output when pcm was used, but not for bitstream.

I defeated the Dolby EX processing so that only 5.1pcm was being output and the surround levels were 74db (for the 2 speakers). I'm not sure if there's faulty processing going on (I checked for all the different modes and it was the same) or if I just misunderstood. I assumed that by adding EX processing it would synthesize the rear speaker output but leave the surround speakers the same. I really can't explain also why the bass is just SO much better if I just use 5.1pcm (for bluray) without using the rear speaker. Clearly the EX processing does more than just synthesize the rear speaker, or there's something wrong. I suspect that something must be wrong because it's fine to add EX when bitstreaming dolby/dts. I can't bitstream dolby truehd or dtshd so I can't compare with that, but clearly it sounds better with EX turned off, and only 5 speakers being used (with PCM).

I pulled out dvd after dvd and bluray after bluray and just can't believe how much different it is for bluray. Now THIS is bass. I can finally agree with what ARC has done without feeling the need to tweak. When I was using the Oppo 980 and bitstreaming dolby and dts it was fine. While the blurays sounded good before I just wasn't as blown away as expected. Now that has changed!

I'll probably try to find a way to run an optical cable between the Oppo bluray and the D2 so that I can bitstream dolby digital/dts for the discs I have that have 6.1, although there really aren't that many. Lord of the Rings will be out on bluray soon enough, and that's really the main movie series with DTS-ES.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Oppo bluray with outputting 24fps for regular dvds. It works quite well in my system which supports 24fps, and there is smoother motion with some movies like LOTR. I haven't seen any glitches yet so I'll keep it at that setting. The processing in the Oppo is no slouch, probably just as good as the Anthems.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #23142 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Alcasid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post

I wanted to post a follow-up on my D2 issues.

Piero (Anthem Tech) returned my call and said this is likely the result of a "collapsing power supply". He said this can happen when the D2 is connected to an external power source (in my case a Furman PL-8) and the power shuts down to it before the D2 is shut off. He told me the possible effect on the D2 power supply, but I wont get it right so I wont attempt to repeat.

Piero recommended that the D2 be turned off and unplugged before the external source.

In my case, I believe the breaker was turned off - which shut everything down in an incorrect sequence.

Bob, you were right on with your diagnosis. No problems with your memory. After running the flash eraser and reloading the firmware; all is working properly. The only issue I had is that the eraser application could not locate my D2 until I moved to a PC with an actual serial port (not USB to Serial).

Darryl

I've had to deal with this several times this year with my AVM50. Re-flashing and uploading settings brings it back every time but is a major inconvenience. Did Anthem mention a possible fix or a workaround?
Ron Alcasid is offline  
post #23143 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

I've had to deal with this several times this year with my AVM50. Re-flashing and uploading settings brings it back every time but is a major inconvenience. Did Anthem mention a possible fix or a workaround?

NEVER EVER HAPPENS HERE D2 on UPS
drhankz is offline  
post #23144 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrada View Post

Ok. thanks i will switch over to component and digital out to resolve the handshake issue. Will i be missing anything by not using hdmi?
HR

Not when hooking up a satellite or cable TV box. Component and Optical will give you the same stuff HDMI does for those.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23145 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrada View Post

One other strange issue I have run into. I have my xbox 360 hooked up via hdmi to D2. I have to set the xbox 360 to stereo out put in order to get sound when on the xbox 360 dashboard. If I set the xbox to 5.1 I get no sound at all(however video games like rockband in 5.1 work). Very strange. Any thoughts?
Not sure if this is related but I notice when i switch to 5.1 directv stations the volume from the d2 drops and it sounds like something is missing in the audio.
Thanks
HR

I'm not going to be able to help you with the Xbox. I have no experience with it. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

For your DirecTV audio, make sure you have the DirecTV box set to send Bitstream digital audio. If you have it set to PCM you will get only a stereo down-mix for those 5.1 programs. Note that if you have a surround audio mode enabled in the D2 (e.g., Anthem Logic-Cinema or PLIIx), the sound may still be coming from all the speakers, but that's not the same as getting the real 5.1 audio to begin with.

You can press Select multiple times to see the various status messages from the D2. (Additional status info is available by pressing and holding the "7" key until the Video Source Adjust menu comes up on screen -- then scroll right to the Info panel.)

When things are working correctly for DD5.1 TV programs, the Select button displays will show you that the input is Dolby Digital and the 5 active channels of audio will be displayed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23146 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

It is not available on the Internet yet.

It probably will be in a week or so.

But you can find the PDF File HERE

These reviewers need to buy a Thesaurus or something. They keep running out of new ways to say nice things!



By the way Hank, I forwarded the PDF link to Nick just in case you hadn't already sent it. Thanks for scanning it in!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23147 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Not sure if I've found a processing flaw in the D2 or not but let's hear what you guys think:....

I've never actually used the Dolby EX 6.1 stuff myself, but I suggest one step might be to lie to the D2 temporarily and tell it you actually have 7.1 speakers. Then fire up PLIIx to get the 7.1 output. Now of course you'll be missing one rear speaker, but it should still give you a handle on whether there really is something strange going on with the Dolby EX 6.1.

I don't think we've had any problem reports about the Dolby EX setting, and if there's a bug, I think we would have heard some other complaints after all this time.

----------------------------------------

Other thoughts:

1) Press the THX button twice and make sure THX is OFF and THX Re-EQ is OFF.

2) Do the exercise to clear all of the "temporary" speaker volume trim settings:

* Save User Settings
* Reload Factory Defaults (use the front panel to continue if you lose video)
* Reload Saved User Settings

The temporary volume trims are not saved so this clears all of them.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23148 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

I've had to deal with this several times this year with my AVM50. Re-flashing and uploading settings brings it back every time but is a major inconvenience. Did Anthem mention a possible fix or a workaround?

Apparently the explanation Piero gave today is that this can sometimes happen if wall power is cut before the D2 is properly shut down. But it seems Anthem is saying it also has to do with having the D2 plugged into a power conditioner when that happens.

I'm not sure what the details are on this, but in any event, the workaround is apparently to make sure you turn off the D2 before you cut its wall power.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23149 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
sfm
Member
 
sfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Apparently the explanation Piero gave today is that this can sometimes happen if wall power is cut before the D2 is properly shut down. But it seems Anthem is saying it also has to do with having the D2 plugged into a power conditioner when that happens.

I'm not sure what the details are on this, but in any event, the workaround is apparently to make sure you turn off the D2 before you cut its wall power.
--Bob

This happens to our D2 any time we lose house power for more than a few minutes. Our D2 is plugged in to the wall directly. In every case the D2 was in standby. Do you think they mean that you should turn off the power (via the switch on the back) before unplugging?

Regardless, seems like a flaw with the D2/AVM50 (or at least some units)... I certainly shouldn't be expected to anticipate every power outage we are going to have and run and properly unpower (whatever that means) the D2 so that I don't get into this strange situation :-)

One of these days when I am very bored I am going to test this further... I swear, for me anyways, that this problem did not happen until I had started using ARC (or at least the first firmware that supported ARC)... Prior to purchasing ARC, I used to run the D2 through a switched outlet on the brickwall surge supressor... and the brickwall was only turned on when we used the theater (to be a little green :-). So the D2 was without power most of the time and I never had this issue (1 1/2 years plus in this configuration). It seems to me that after I started using ARC this problem reared it's ugly head and once I realized what was causing it (loss of power for more than a few minutes) I just kept the D2 plugged directly into the wall... Now I've only had the problem when power to the house is lost for more than a few minutes (which, fortunately, doesn't happen to frequently).
sfm is offline  
post #23150 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
I really don't know the details. This Piero explanation is a new one on me. I don't understand what's supposed to be going on yet.

But if it were a common problem I think we'd have had WAY more complaints here. So there's something else going on that's not come out yet.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23151 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Bob - Can you test with the Sleeping Beauty Dungeon Bonus DTS-HD HR scene? I get what I think is the same clicking/popping sound - 7.1 setup. Not horrible, but it shouldn't be in there. Just like you describe, like an old analog album.

I'm not using an Oppo either, so I think this is a D2v issue.

OK, I had a chance to explore this more carefully at higher volume.

I was using the first 52 seconds of the track as the test -- playing it repeatedly. You really have to listen closely to distinguish stuff that's built into the track. For example there is a "crackle" at 0:22 which is part of the sound-effect for the torch.

Anyway, we've got the previously described strangeness where the D2v reports the Bitstream input of the track as 7.1 if you set 7.1 speakers but only 5.1 if you set 5.1 speakers. Apparently the D2v decoder is using an unusual feature of this track to provide two different "speaker presentations".

That aside, I did notice some pops playing this segment over again multiple times with 7.1 speakers set. They were similar to the pops I described for Dark City above. As in that case, they didn't repeat at specific time codes.

But I *ALSO* had a very few pops with 5.1 speakers set. Same sort of pops just much fewer of them.

So I think what I can confirm is that more pops are likely to happen if you set 7.1 speakers with Bitstream input of this track from the Oppo, but a few pops will also happen with 5.1 speakers if you repeat this segment enough times.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23152 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
budeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lombard IL
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just took the jump and upgraded my 50 to 50v. I am looking forward to it based on what I read in here.
budeone is offline  
post #23153 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Alcasid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Apparently the explanation Piero gave today is that this can sometimes happen if wall power is cut before the D2 is properly shut down. But it seems Anthem is saying it also has to do with having the D2 plugged into a power conditioner when that happens.

I'm not sure what the details are on this, but in any event, the workaround is apparently to make sure you turn off the D2 before you cut its wall power.
--Bob

I live in the Midwest. It's not uncommon for us to lose power during storms. I think there have been a few others in this thread in which this has happened.
Ron Alcasid is offline  
post #23154 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

I live in the Midwest. It's not uncommon for us to lose power during storms. I think there have been a few others in this thread in which this has happened.

Yes, but it's a very few compared to the number of D2 owners posting here.

In any event, we ought to bug Anthem for some more details.

-------------------

As I said, I use an APC battery backup for my D2v (as well as the D2 it replaced). That takes care of momentary power glitches. If the power goes out long enough for me to do anything about it, one of the things I always do is power off my display and the Anthem at their mechanical power switches -- the back panel switch on the Anthem. That's mostly because power surges are not uncommon when power gets restored.

But I've completely disconnected my D2 and D2v, moved them around, powered them up at different places, etc., and personally I've not had this problem, which must be really annoying when it happens.

I'd like to get some more info on this. It may be purely bad luck, or it may have something to do with the order in which things lose power when the wall power fails, or it may be a hardware problem in certain units. I just don't know.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #23155 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

I then ran the DVE band-limited pink noise and the front 3 speakers were at 75db, the sub was at 85db (hooray, no lfe bug!) but the rear 3 speakers were at 70-71db. I rechecked in the Anthem setup menu and it was correct in there so it must be a processing thing. I changed the Oppo to output bitstream for Dolby Digital and then remeasured with the DVE disc and to my surprise, the 3 rear levels were around 74db.

That's about a 3dB error in the surround signals. It so happens that the PLII processor imposes a 3dB loss as part of its normal operation (this allows for the needed headroom when steering full scale signals in both input channels to a single output). It is necessary for the AV processor to apply the needed 3 dB correction somewhere downstream. Maybe that got lost somewhere. Even if it does or doesn't happen in PLIIx, it could still happen in EX even though they are the same core processing module.

Just a long shot possibility.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #23156 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

That's about a 3dB error in the surround signals. It so happens that the PLII processor imposes a 3dB loss as part of its normal operation (this allows for the needed headroom when steering full scale signals in both input channels to a single output). It is necessary for the AV processor to apply the needed 3 dB correction somewhere downstream. Maybe that got lost somewhere. Even if it does or doesn't happen in PLIIx, it could still happen in EX even though they are the same core processing module.

Just a long shot possibility.

Interesting theory. But the thing is that there's no problem if a bitstream is presented to the D2. It only seems to happen with pcm, from either the Oppo or the PS3.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #23157 of 42949 Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've never actually used the Dolby EX 6.1 stuff myself, but I suggest one step might be to lie to the D2 temporarily and tell it you actually have 7.1 speakers. Then fire up PLIIx to get the 7.1 output. Now of course you'll be missing one rear speaker, but it should still give you a handle on whether there really is something strange going on with the Dolby EX 6.1.

I don't think we've had any problem reports about the Dolby EX setting, and if there's a bug, I think we would have heard some other complaints after all this time.

----------------------------------------

Other thoughts:

1) Press the THX button twice and make sure THX is OFF and THX Re-EQ is OFF.

2) Do the exercise to clear all of the "temporary" speaker volume trim settings:

* Save User Settings
* Reload Factory Defaults (use the front panel to continue if you lose video)
* Reload Saved User Settings

The temporary volume trims are not saved so this clears all of them.

--Bob

I did everything you suggested. My display says PrologicIIx when 7.1 speakers are selected but not for 6.1. According to the dolby site the prologicIIx can be used for 6.1, I guess it just wasn't implemented that way
in the D2.
Even with PrologicIIx and setup for 7.1 the rear speakers are still 4 or 5db
lower on the DVE level test, but only with pcm from the Oppo and not with
bitstream.

I actually did a google search to see how many dvds have DTS-ES and Dolby EX and there actually aren't that many! I'll just switch the Oppo manually to bitstream the dvds that have it and leave it at pcm for everything else.

There are a few reasons why this may not have come up before. I don't think too many people have 6.1 setups. I think most people have 5.1 or 7.1. The speakers are all calibrated to the same level in the Anthem menu and some people would probably just assume that's how it's supposed to sound (with weak surround). The people who are bitstreaming wouldn't have this issue - but then again they're dealing with snap, crackle, and pop by the sounds of it. Since there's a way around the problem (bitstream for DTS-ES and Dolby EX, and "unenhanced" PCM for all other codecs) I guess it's not a big deal. Just a curiosity.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #23158 of 42949 Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

According to the dolby site the prologicIIx can be used for 6.1, I guess it just wasn't implemented that way
in the D2.

The D2 has it right. PLIIx can output 6.1 from 2-ch sources, or from 5.1 sources in Music mode. PLIIx 6.1 Movie mode is exactly the same as Surround EX, so rather than have 2 names for the same thing, we left it named EX as it came first.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #23159 of 42949 Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The D2 has it right. PLIIx can output 6.1 from 2-ch sources, or from 5.1 sources in Music mode. PLIIx 6.1 Movie mode is exactly the same as Surround EX, so rather than have 2 names for the same thing, we left it named EX as it came first.

Ah, that would explain why Dolby EX shows up in the display despite me
selecting ProLogicIIx for 6.1

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #23160 of 42949 Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
dlynch34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

So maybe my memory ain't so bad after all!

The key thing when you do talk to them, in addition to verifying the proper recovery procedure and getting access to the Flash Eraser, is to see if they know why this happens and if they have any workaround to keep it from happening again -- for example, some setting change or other thing you should do before removing power from the D2 for an extended time -- if indeed that really is the cause.

Obviously many folks here have unplugged and moved or stored their D2s without any such problem.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is like the situation with some computers when their rechargeable internal battery -- the thing that keeps their clock going while they are unplugged -- loses its ability to take a charge. When they are eventually unplugged, that battery drains too fast, and some internal settings don't get retained properly.

But I don't know of any such part in the D2.
--Bob


Bob,

you are correct servers and pc's have what they call CMOS settings and the internal battery generally aids in keeping power to the internal rom of those settings. I would assume that something similiar is used inside the D2 but cant be quite sure since I have never taken one apart.

Don Lynch
dlynch34 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off