HK AVR645 / 745 available sometime in June, mine is on order... official thread? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2415 Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having some issues with passing video through my 745 and was hoping someone could help on this.

Basically, this is my setup

HTPC (6600gt w/ dual DVI)->DVI/HDMI adapter & cable->AVR 745 (HDMI 2 input)->HDMI monitor out with HDMI/DVI adapter -> Dell 3200MP DLP projector(non HDCP).

When I connect my projector directly to the HTPC, I get a 720p signal and picture on the projector just fine.

However when I route the video signal via the 745 I keep getting an error that shows up on the OSD that says something like output signal cannot be less than input signal When I check the input via OSD it shows 720p. I then change the output from 480i to 720p, but I still don't get a picture. Then when I open up my OSD, it shows 480i again. The OSD works fine but I can't get a picture at all via the HDMI out. There was also a message about turning HDMI link off at one point.

I've tried this with Faroudja on, off, and Bypass but I still cannot get the 745 to pass the video signal.

Mcode, or anyone else with extensive knowledge of the 745, is there something I'm missing? Please help!

Half-knowledgeable but fully dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2415 Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

This is the first AVR I have found with this feature. It is trickle down from the Lexicon MC-12.

The Denon 5805 can digitize its multi-channel analogue inputs, as well as some older H/K models (AVR-430/630). H/K seems to have skipped this feature for the x35 models but brought it back for some of the x45 models.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #183 of 2415 Old 07-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
spillz564

Howdy...don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but when switching from component to HDMI on the 745 being fed from my HD Tivo, it would somehow cause my HD Tivo to switch it's output resolution leading to the dreaded "input cannot be lower than output" message. This happened frequently and was quite annoying.
post #184 of 2415 Old 07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessel holland View Post

spillz564

Howdy...don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but when switching from component to HDMI on the 745 being fed from my HD Tivo, it would somehow cause my HD Tivo to switch it's output resolution leading to the dreaded "input cannot be lower than output" message. This happened frequently and was quite annoying.

Were you able to find a fix or workaround? I've locked the output from my HTPC at 720p but I'm not sure why the 745 keeps trying to output at 480...

post #185 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 AM

Sorry if this has already been answered, but, I've reviewed the thread. Can anyone get this receiver to pass through a 1080p signal? That is important to me, but I really LOVE the sound of the unit, played with it for quite a while locally.... outstanding H/K sound. Has anyone verified this yet?

-Paul
post #186 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwartz View Post

Sorry if this has already been answered, but, I've reviewed the thread. Can anyone get this receiver to pass through a 1080p signal? That is important to me, but I really LOVE the sound of the unit, played with it for quite a while locally.... outstanding H/K sound. Has anyone verified this yet?

-Paul

I know the 645 won't handle a 1080p signal so I assume it is the same for the 745. This is the only reason I didn't buy one...
post #187 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks crbaldwin.
That is disappointing.
post #188 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

spillz564

I returned mine because of the component out problem.
post #189 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessel holland View Post

spillz564

I returned mine because of the component out problem.

Thanks for the info. I'm a little frustrated with mine at the moment as well. My top issues so far are:

1> NO HDMI picture pass thru. (makes me wonder why I paid so much for this unit again?)
2> Can't save AutoEQ presets. OSD just hangs on screen that says it will take 10 seconds to save my presets
3> Front door fit & finish is unacceptable

One other note is that I was replacing an AVR 7300 which was noticeable more powerful when compared to the 745. I'm running Infinity Betas in a 7.1 setup with two 650W Inifnity subs.

If I can't get any help on this forum nor from HK support on the HDMI video pass through problems I'm having, I hate to say it, but I may send the unit back as well...

post #190 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Paul

The 745 and 645 will not process a 1080p signal but they will pass a 1080p signal in "Bypass" mode. This information was given to me by HK engineers and I have also tried it with a BD player on loan.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #191 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Well, I have a 645 on back order. I am planning to connect my HD DVR by HDMI to the 645, then HDMI out to my HDTV. AM I to understand that the 645 will not pass 720P video from the DVR to the HDTV over HDMI??
post #192 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu_VB View Post

Well, I have a 645 on back order. I am planning to connect my HD DVR by HDMI to the 645, then HDMI out to my HDTV. AM I to understand that the 645 will not pass 720P video from the DVR to the HDTV over HDMI??

It won't process a 1080p signal, but will pass one as stated above via bypass.

480i,480p, 720p 1080i it can process and/or pass.
post #193 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl View Post

Thanks for reply. Begs the next question....Can the 645 lip-sync delay feature function in bypass mode??
post #194 of 2415 Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. So, if in bypass mode to "pass through" a 1080p signal, do we loose any of the audio passed through hdmi?

-Paul
post #195 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responses. So, if in bypass mode to "pass through" a 1080p signal, do we loose any of the audio passed through hdmi?

-Paul

No.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #196 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu_VB View Post

Thanks for reply. Begs the next question....Can the 645 lip-sync delay feature function in bypass mode??

I would assume so ... but I have not tried it to find out. The 745 I'm running did not have any issues with lipsync, so I've not tried to adjust it.
post #197 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the responce. I unplugged the unit to verify this condition and again all settings were lost, including the FM presets. I guess I'm about to find out how well HK supports their product. The upconversion issue I can live with ... the power outage lost settings is something my wife and I find intollerable.

I'll keep you updated as to the responce from HK. I've already been in touch with their Tech support via email on this issue. Let's hope they see this as a chance for them to shine and show how good a company they can be.

So far the Tech support has been great.

The rep I talked to put me in contact with two engineers that were working on the problem. After one day they called me back and gave me a RA number for return. They are sending me a new unit with a prepaid return tag. I gave them my credit card to guarantee the return shipment of my defective product once I receive the new unit (that way I won't have to be without the unit for days waiting for them to process my return).

All in all it has been painless so far. I hope the newer unit does not have any issues. I'll keep you updated on that when I receive the unit. After reading some horror stories on their tech support side of HK, I was a little worried. However, I no longer have any reservations about it.

As for the unit itself, I am very happy with the quality of the sound. I'm very impressed with the AutoEQ. My room setup is a very difficult one. I have a very odd shaped room with an open back to the kitchen. After running the AutoEQ, I can say that I've never had my speakers sound better. For me it was worth the price for this feature alone.

To be fair, the component shifting problem would be an issue if my Plasma didn't allow me to streatch and shift both horizontal and vertical. I think that HK will have this issue fixed quickly if they don't already.
post #198 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:

No.

Thanks awtryau89, I can get back to being excited about this unit.

Also, thank you for keeping us well informed with your experiences with the 745! The same for you Davisjl, I look forward to your impressions of the replacement unit.

Cheers,
Paul
post #199 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I have had the AVR745 for a few weeks now, and I though I would give some impressions - this will be too short to be called a review, but I hope it is helpful.

My setup: Paradigm Studio 40 v3 (qty 3) for front left/center/right (acoustically transparent screen) ADP-470 v3 for sides (qty 2) and Studio 20 v2 (qty 2) for rears. Subs are SVS PC-Ultra (qty 2). Amps are Anthem MCA 20 for front left/right and MCA 5 Mark II for center/sides/rears. I use the AVR745 as a pre/pro, I don't use the amp section, and I do not use any of the video processing - I have a Lumagen HDQ for that.

I previously had a Lexicon DC-1 v4 DTS as my pre/pro, and all my comments are in reference to the performance of the DC1.

My reasons wanting the AVR745, and how happy I am with each:

1) Logic7 - mostly happy
2) Dual subs - very happy
3) Room EQ - very happy
4) Generally better sound due to newer DAC's , etc - very happy
5) HDMI audio from Toshiba HD-A1 - not happy

#1 - Logic7 - mostly happy - after having a Lexicon processor, I can't go with anything else than Logic7. I have had equipment myself and setup for friends that did PL IIxx and other formats (Circle surround, etc) but I can't get away from the right sound of Logic7. There is no substitute for me. The HK processors are missing some of the configuration options (dialog enhancement for example) that the Lexicon processors have, I assume that this is so that the HK receivers don't cannibalize sales of Lexicon equipment. After all, if you can get the same thing that a Lexicon MC-12 will do for much less money because it says Harmon Kardon instead of Lexicon on the front.

# 2 - dual subs - very happy - Two is better than one Smother response across the entire seating area.

# 3 - Room EQ - very happy - this is one of the major reasons (other than Logic7) that I bought the 745. It works very well. I like it! My room is completely acoustically treated (except for bass traps, but due to my strange room geometry, bass trapping is not a necessity). Room EQ did exactly what it is advertised to do for my room.

#4 - Generally better sound due to newer DAC's , etc - very happy - Just replacing the DC1 with the 745 (no setup or eq) it was immediately apparent what 10 years of DAC improvements will do. Of course, you can get a better DAC from almost anything that is not junk these days - I got what I expected, a big improvement.

#5 - HDMI audio from Toshiba HD-A1 - not happy - as previous posters have stated, I can only get 2 channels (front left/right) from HDMI - hopefully HK will have a firmware fix for this soon.

I do not see any of the Quality Control issues (yet) that other have complained about - when power is removed from the 745 - I do not lose my settings, and I have no complaints about anything that does not work (other than the HDMI audio thing).

In conclusion - My options for Logic7 + HDMI audio were either a HK 645 or a 745 or a Lexicon MC-12 v5 + mic kit. I could not bring myself to spend the funds necessary for a Lexicon given what I could get from HK, so it was down to the 645 or the 745. I am glad I got the 745 and another SVS PC-Ultra. Time will tell on the HDMI audio issues. Hope this was helpful, glad to answer any questions.
post #200 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, thank you for keeping us well informed with your experiences with the 745! The same for you Davisjl, I look forward to your impressions of the replacement unit.

Cheers,
Paul

No problem. After speaking with HK engineers today I learned that a firmware update is already in the testing procedure. It should be available within the next few weeks. I was told not to hold my breath though because if they find more bugs they will rework it so they can take care of everything in one release. The new update will supposedly fix all HDMI audio issues, numerous video bugs, and some other issues that were noted but I cannot remember. I am very pleased so far in the responsiveness. I would hope for as much for a $3500 piece but you never know.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #201 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 07:16 PM

could someone please explain to me H/K receiver's amp ratings. i know that they are conservative with their specs but is 85w per channel in the 745 comprable to receivers in its price range?

sunny
post #202 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma001 View Post

could someone please explain to me H/K receiver's amp ratings. i know that they are conservative with their specs but is 85w per channel in the 745 comprable to receivers in its price range?

It's a beefy receiver at just under 50lbs. It's on the expensive side, though. I think Ubid has it now for under $1900. HK's receivers rate very close to spec in two channel bench testing. There's some discrepancy on all channels driven tests, but from what I've read, HK's can deliver well to all channels.

I'd say that unit is comparable to the older Pioneer Elite 56TXi as far as amplification goes. If you really need power to drive demanding floorstanders, I highly recommend a less expensive AVR, and a two channel outboard amp.

http://www.ubid.com/Harman_Kardon_AV...901254097.html

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #203 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So this means no audio processing but it can switch a 1080P signal? When I asked HK support back in May they said it wouldn't be able to do 1080P at all...
post #204 of 2415 Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Cheers,
Paul

I assume this isn't THE Paul Schwartz of Music fame? Would be kinda cool to know he is an HK fan.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #205 of 2415 Old 08-03-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

So this means no audio processing but it can switch a 1080P signal? When I asked HK support back in May they said it wouldn't be able to do 1080P at all...

It doesn't do anything with 1080p ... it just passes the signal via bypass.
post #206 of 2415 Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Passing a 1080p signal and audio processing off the HDMI have nothing to do with each other. When I said process a 1080p signal, I meant it will not scale or alter the video in any way. You can still get the audio portion with bypass on any resolution.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #207 of 2415 Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So, just to clarify, "Bypass mode" just refers to the video portion of the signal and the receiver will process/decode the audio signal the same for both 1080i and 1080P? I assume you are referring to the 745. Is this the same for the 645?
post #208 of 2415 Old 08-03-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Passing a 1080p signal and audio processing off the HDMI have nothing to do with each other. When I said process a 1080p signal, I meant it will not scale or alter the video in any way. You can still get the audio portion with bypass on any resolution.

Sorry, I didn't notice the Audio portion of his question since he was asking about 1080p and that is a video standard ... thank you for the clearification.
post #209 of 2415 Old 08-03-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

I assume this isn't THE Paul Schwartz of Music fame? Would be kinda cool to know he is an HK fan.

No, I'm sure if that Paul is a Harman fan, he would opt. for the $8000 Lexicon.
post #210 of 2415 Old 08-03-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
usualsuspects,

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Do you have any plans to try the 745's internal amps? Maybe they'll sound just as good, and you'd be able to recover space, $, and power consumption.

If both Anthem amps have the same gain, it would just be a matter of switching speaker wires, no recalibration needed.

Thanks

Noah
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page