The "Official" Emotiva Ultra-Lite Owners/Impressions Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 481 Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well, it's finally that time. The Emotiva UL LMC-1 and LMA-1 are out the door and beginning to trickle into the hands of awaiting purchasers.

I am personally towards the bottom of the pre-order list, and will therefore not receive the pre/pro for another month or so ... however, I figure someone should start this thread to keep things easy to find for the people now receiving theirs, as well as those considering a purchase.

Please post all impressions of sound and usability, questions, set up descriptions and tips, as well as any bug finds, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 481 Old 06-03-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As I've already posted my thoughts on the AV123 forum during the beta testing phase, my thoughts/opinions haven't changed. I'll watch quietly from the sidelines now and let others post their thoughts.
post #3 of 481 Old 06-03-2006, 03:53 PM

Liked: 10
Nhan, Do you have the newest product shipment LMC-1 ?

post #4 of 481 Old 06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbehr
Nhan, Do you have the newest product shipment LMC-1 ?
Yes, I have the latest LMC-1. I received the in-production pre-pro this week and shipped back the beta unit. Life is good :)
post #5 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 06:49 AM

Any significant changes to report in either sound or function?
post #6 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any significant changes to report in either sound or function?
Like I said, I'll try to stay out of the way of these discussions this time around, since I don't want to take away from those who are just receiving and listening to their units.

But to answer your questions, the main change is that the distance and cross-over functions are more flexible now. Now, the user can apply distances (in 0.5 ft increments) to their mains, center, side surrounds and back surrounds. They can also apply cross-over settings to the same sets (in 10 Hz increments) from 60-150 Hz (I think that range is correct).

I've not had a chance to calibrate the system fully, but have listened to a few music/movie passages and it does sound as good as the beta pre-pro that I returned. The amp in beta testing became the production amp, so nothing's changed there and I have that same amp.
post #7 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan
But to answer your questions, the main change is that the distance and cross-over functions are more flexible now. Now, the user can apply distances (in 0.5 ft increments) to their mains, center, side surrounds and back surrounds. They can also apply cross-over settings to the same sets (in 10 Hz increments) from 60-150 Hz (I think that range is correct).
Nhan,

So you can apply a different crossover frequency for each speaker?

Thanks, Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #8 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I may be wrong, but I believe it's in speaker groups, - not individual speakers.

Therefore your mains would get one setting, the center another, your side surrounds another, and your rears something else.

For those that have irregular surround speaker placement, and would like a different distance for (example) their left side surround versus their right side surround, I don’t think it will handle that. Note however, that is a fairly uncommon feature to my knowledge.
post #9 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Nhan, Please reconsider and use this thread to sum up your thoughts and opinions of the Emotiva UL units as a finished product. The AV123 forums seem to go off topic at a drop of a hat or exhaustively discuss the company model instead of focusing on these products. While at the same time we can open this forum to merits of these units. Ponder this. Thanks
post #10 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT
I may be wrong, but I believe it's in speaker groups, - not individual speakers.

Therefore your mains would get one setting, the center another, your side surrounds another, and your rears something else.

For those that have irregular surround speaker placement, and would like a different distance for (example) their left side surround versus their right side surround, I don’t think it will handle that. Note however, that is a fairly uncommon feature to my knowledge.
That's correct.
post #11 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nhan, Please reconsider and use this thread to sum up your thoughts and opinions of the Emotiva UL units as a finished product. The AV123 forums seem to go off topic at a drop of a hat or exhaustively discuss the company model instead of focusing on these products. While at the same time we can open this forum to merits of these units. Ponder this. Thanks
I'll try to help out with technical questions and such, but I'll reserve my comments on the ULs performance till many have had a chance to share theirs. How's that?

Also, I've not had a chance to listen all that much to the new unit, since beta testing has really worn me out. And since I've picked up a squeezebox, along with a Sammy DLP for the bedroom, the living room's not getting much use ;) :D
post #12 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 AM

Fair enough Nhan. Could one take both rear surround pre-outs to the zone 2 inputs and set the zone 2 input source to match the main monitor source, or even follow the main source and use the internal amps to power the rear surround speakers?
post #13 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fair enough Nhan. Could one take both rear surround pre-outs to the zone 2 inputs and set the zone 2 input source to match the main monitor source, or even follow the main source and use the internal amps to power the rear surround speakers?
Wow....not sure if I can follow what your question was. The Zone 2 connections are OUTPUTs only. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by going that route?

Not sure why you would want to use the internal amps (I assume you mean the digital ones contained in the pre-pro) to power the back surround speakers. The 6th/ 7th channel amps of the LPA-1 amplifier should be used for that.

The internal amp of the pre-pro is used to power the Zone 2 speakers. For example, I have my outdoor speakers connected to this internal amp. When I want to listen to whatever source I have hooked up to the pre-pro, I can either select Sync to listen to the same thing that I'm listening to in the Main Zone; or I can select a separate source source directly.

Keep in mind that when you select a separate source for Zone 2, it must be hooked up via a stereo analog connection. If you choose Sync, however, and you have your souce's connection selected as either optical or coax, the LMC-1 will convert the digital signal to a 2-channel signal automatically.
post #14 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:

That would work fine. It would be an improvement over the BA AVP7 I had which has one setting for all speakers. Also having distance in .5 ft settings is better as well. I am on the list for mid July so I look forward to demoing the LMC-1.

Thanks, Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #15 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan
Not sure why you would want to use the internal amps (I assume you mean the digital ones contained in the pre-pro) ...
Doesn't this kind of defeat the whole purpose of separates? :confused:
post #16 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ
That is a bit unusual to have the pre-pro contain a stereo amplifier, much less a digital one. But I dont' think it hurts the performance whatsoever. Not much heat is coming out of the unit when I have both Zone 1 and Zone 2 going.
post #17 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 AM

Sorry for my incomplete and poorly thought out reply. So here goes again. Can I use the LMC-1 internal amp to power the rear surround speakers as I shop for a separate stereo amp. I have a five channel amp and am using the amps in my receiver/pre-pro to power my rears currently. So I'm going to need something happening there, or go 5.1.
post #18 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac
That would work fine. It would be an improvement over the BA AVP7 I had which has one setting for all speakers. Also having distance in .5 ft settings is better as well. I am on the list for mid July so I look forward to demoing the LMC-1.

Thanks, Bill
So Emotiva LMC-1 with the BA A7200 for you too? ;)
post #19 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ
It's meant to be used with the second zone controller.

AV123 is planning on offering a wall control pad that will connect to the pre/pro as well ... that is a pretty sweet 2nd zone system IMO. Unheard of at this price.
post #20 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for my incomplete and poorly thought out reply. So here goes again. Can I use the LMC-1 internal amp to power the rear surround speakers as I shop for a separate stereo amp. I have a five channel amp and am using the amps in my receiver/pre-pro to power my rears currently. So I'm going to need something happening there, or go 5.1.
There might be a way to hack it ... but I'd wonder if the timing might get thrown off a bit?

Since it's only temporary though, maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
post #21 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 01:03 PM

What I meant to offer was to output the back surround pre-outs to the AUX2 inputs. Connect wire cable off of ZONE2 out to my back surrounds. The level controlled between the ZONE2 level output and each back surround level control. Will I have to switch the ZONE2 source selector when I switch sources in the main room?
post #22 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So Emotiva LMC-1 with the BA A7200 for you too? ;)
Yes it looks like that could be the way I will go. I looked at the Anthem AVM30 last week but I'm not sure about the cost vs. performance is worth it. The AVM30 cost is about $2600.00, 6.5 x the cost of the LMC-1 and about 3.25 x the cost of the BA AVP7. The AVM30 is a excellent pre-pro but would its performance be that much better than the LMC-1 or the BA AVP7. If money was not an issue I would buy the AVM30 in a second but unfortunately it is.

Bill

post #23 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it looks like that could be the way I will go. I looked at the Anthem AVM30 last week but I'm not sure about the cost vs. performance is worth it. The AVM30 cost is about $2600.00, 6.5 x the cost of the LMC-1 and about 3.25 x the cost of the BA AVP7. The AVM30 is a excellent pre-pro but would its performance be that much better than the LMC-1 or the BA AVP7. If money was not an issue I would buy the AVM30 in a second but unfortunately it is.

Bill
Yeah, I just don't think the others are worth the price difference. Over at AV123, some initial direct comparisons have been made versus the Outlaw 990 for sound quality - and so far it doesn't seem like the difference is much at all :eek:. To my knowledge, the AVM30 isn’t a large step up from the Outlaw either – so I think this thing is a steal as far as absolute sound quality is concerned.

Features are another story though. For me however, I simply cannot justify the price difference. While the AVP7 isn’t dramatically more and some might consider the extra features to be worth it, moving up to the AVM30 for more features is especially fruitless IMO. Is it worth spending that much simply for some more inputs, a better OSD (AVM-30), and USB (BA AVP-7)?

When one delves deeper, the price increase seems to make even less sense. The next ‘holy grail’ for receivers is to do HDMI audio processing (if not video processing as well). To support the next generation audio formats, you’ll need either a receiver/pro-pro with HDMI 1.1 – assuming your BluRay or HD-DVD player actually supports conversion to full range LPCM on all channels – or you’ll need a receiver/pro-pro that accepts HDMI 1.3. Since neither of the competitors you mentioned include this, it’s hard to consider them a long-term solution. Why would one want to spend that much extra on a device they’ll probably look at replacing in the foreseeable future?

Also – since HDMI audio processing is the next big thing, and is a pretty major ‘leap’ compared to the incremental increases we’ve seen in features as of late – one has to question the resale value of current pre/pros in the future. Considering something like the AVM30 already has TWO big brothers (AVM40 and 50), not to mention the statement series … what happens when all the new processors come out that support high def DD and DTS?
post #24 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is the DSP chip employed in the LMC-1. It is the Crystal CS493263-CL chip.

http://av123forum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=244290

Does anyone have any info on the pros/cons of this solution?

Has anyone heard anything about what 'Audiophile-Grade 24-bit/192kHz DAC’s' are being employed?

BTW – Here’s some more pics of the insides courtesy of typeshige over at AV123.

:eek: Must say, that is one clean layout! Really nice looking (and typeshige’s pics are great as well – you should see some of his others).

http://static.flickr.com/57/157662386_2aad1aae05.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/62/157649782_8a42e857d6.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/66/157649076_3c2e64d54f.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/68/157656044_77064577f9.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/56/157650938_1e5839c94b.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/67/157653099_9ebd466382.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/71/157652694_59c17c1a9b.jpg
post #25 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #26 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I can say one thing ... the BA A7200 certainly ain't as pretty as the Emotiva LMA-1.

Same thing with the pre/pro :D
post #27 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, lots of misinformation here regardng the AVM 30....

First of all, no offense to AV123, but the AVM 30 is in another league to the LMC-1. I'm sure AV123 is aware of this and is not even competing in the same space as an AVM. The LMC-1 is a first gen entry level Pre/pro where as the AVM 30 is a mature mid/high level pre-pro with support and upgrade plans to include HDMI switching, including MC music playback via HDMI.

The LMC-1 is a great value for the price, no doubt. If this is the price range in a given budget, then this is the product to consider.

BTW, there is no USB on the Anthem AVM 30, 40, or 50.

Please read up a bit more on the AVM. If you cannot afford Anthem, that's fine, but the LMC-1 does not equal an Anthem AVM.
post #28 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I did not mean to imply that it was in the same league, please don't misunderstand my intentions.

However, I could have sworn from a sound quality comparison ... the AVM 30 is not in another league versus the Outlaw 990 based on some postings I've read. If that is not correct, I apologize for the misinformation.

I do not mean to jump the gun here. Based on an initial impression posted, the listener did not hear a signicant difference between the LMC-1 and the Outlaw 990.

As far as USB, I'll make the correction to specificy I was refering to the Sherwood-based products (BA AVP7, Outlaw 990, etc).

I understand the Anthem 30 has plans for HDMI upgrades, but they are currently not out and we don't know how much extra it will cost.

The post you are replying to was my personal impression of the cost/performance of these units, and whether the others are worth the extra cash. If the AVM-30 is in a league above the others from a pure sound-quality point-of-view, I may have to re-evalute - I was generally comparing feature-sets.
post #29 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey
Wow, lots of misinformation here regardng the AVM 30....

First of all, no offense to AV123, but the AVM 30 is in another league to the LMC-1. I'm sure AV123 is aware of this and is not even competing in the same space as an AVM. The LMC-1 is a first gen entry level Pre/pro where as the AVM 30 is a mature mid/high level pre-pro with support and upgrade plans to include HDMI switching, including MC music playback via HDMI.

The LMC-1 is a great value for the price, no doubt. If this is the price range in a given budget, then this is the product to consider.

BTW, there is no USB on the Anthem AVM 30, 40, or 50.

Please read up a bit more on the AVM. If you cannot afford Anthem, that's fine, but the LMC-1 does not equal an Anthem AVM.
What misinformation are you referring to? The mention of USB is in regard to the AVP7. To think that the LMC-1 is in the league of the AVM30 was never mentioned in this thread. My thoughts were is that the AVM30 that much better in SQ over the LMC-1/AVP7 when cost comes into the equation. I have read many reviews of the AVM30 and they are all very positive. But I do not understand why on the AVM40/50 that there is no audio via HDMI at this time.

Bill

post #30 of 481 Old 06-04-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
But I do not understand why on the AVM40/50 that there is no audio via HDMI at this time.
????
What do you mean can't do audio on HDMI at this time? The Anthem AVM40/50 and D2 are the only released Pre/Pros to my knowledge that do support HDMI audio, although I believe Lexicon is due to have one out shortly.

Sound is very subjective it is always going to come down to your wallet and ears. Some will swear their HTIB system is just as good as the next guys Theta system and as long as they believe that so be it. I wouldn't discount Rmassey's opinion though as he is probably the only one in the world to have both an Anthem and U/L in his house. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page