post #92 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Right. The documentation doesn't say but I bet it doesn't because it doesn't matter. Did the test signals come out of every speaker as they are supposed to?

Kal

For me they did Kal, but I don't know what point you are tying to make.

Nick
post #93 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick250 View Post

For me they did Kal, but I don't know what point you are tying to make.
Nick

My point is that it probably does not matter what 'mode' you have the AVR in when you enter setup/Audyssey since that operation takes over and sets it up according to its program. I'll bet a setup run from any 'mode' will give the same (or at least as similar as possible for Audyssey) result as from any other.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #94 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 09:52 AM

Kal,

I think you are right. I was just trying to throw out possible reasons why the Audyssey EQ setting sounds so bad. I found no obvious problem when running the setup.

I will try one more time using slightly different Seating positions. Some folks are getting better results.

Regards,
Darrell
post #95 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanksdvd View Post

i use the 4306 as a preamp and they are plugged into A only on the preouts

Strange one. I'd try a Processor Reset and then re-run Audyssey again.
post #96 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Update with me.

I called Denon and got someone more knowledgable. He said that I have a malfunctioning unit. My problems with finding speakers that dont exist and XOvers that are way off the mark are not right. I am exchanging my unit. I will post my findings when I get a new unit.
post #97 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

My point is that it probably does not matter what 'mode' you have the AVR in when you enter setup/Audyssey since that operation takes over and sets it up according to its program. I'll bet a setup run from any 'mode' will give the same (or at least as similar as possible for Audyssey) result as from any other.
Kal

Ah-ha. Agreed, that is what I would expect too.

Nick
post #98 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccombs View Post

Kal,

I think you are right. I was just trying to throw out possible reasons why the Audyssey EQ setting sounds so bad. I found no obvious problem when running the setup.

I will try one more time using slightly different Seating positions. Some folks are getting better results.

Regards,
Darrell

Forgetting about the bass/crossover issue for a moment, I found that the front sound stage was wonderful after Auto EQ. I did my six tests in a pretty tight area. Think sofa, middle, left, right seats, and then those same positions except about two feet closer to the speakers. Distance from the sweet spot (middle seat sofa) to the speakers is about 9 feet.

Nick
post #99 of 417 Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will try the reset and see what happens.

MultEQxt corrects for room acoustical problems. Changes in the tone controls do not change the filter performance. They do change the tonal balance based on the preferences of the customer. The benefit of MultEQxt is that it allows a customer (or installer) tone control setting to work on all program material in a much more predictable way than it would on an uncalibrated system. Changes made to the crossover frequency or small and large settings of the loudspeakers do not affect the performance of the MultEQxt filters.

I thought you cant change the XOvers?

What a great find longshanks! I knew that one could change the crossovers and large small, however I had wondered if changing the crossovers would contaminate audyssey's EQ settings. I asked this question to Chris from audyssey and he never answered. I can now happily keep all my speakers small and raise all crossovers to 80Hz. For me, this was the last unanswered question up to this point. Why the F_CK Chris did not answer this is a mystery to me. This is basic information. Should be in the manual too, but my expectations from Chris were a bit higher than what is in the manual.

Nick
post #100 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 AM

Longshanksdvd,

As far as I understand, Audessey might select a higher XO on certain speakers, when using the sub gives a better or flatter frequency/time response throughout the room.

Adri.
post #101 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri View Post

Longshanksdvd,

As far as I understand, Audessey might select a higher XO on certain speakers, when using the sub gives a better or flatter frequency/time response throughout the room.

Adri.

You may be right but the Denon tech support seemed to think with my M&Ks that Audessey should of found them to be 80hz. He stated that the XOver is based on the speaker and the room should not scew the frq repsnse that bad.

In regards to the extra speakers it was finding, it seems that it is a problem with my pre-outs because it dosent find that phantom speakers when using the internal amps.
post #102 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 08:17 AM

longshanksdvd,
Interesting. I use my 3806 as a pre-amp as well and it always finds surrounds A, B and the back surrounds, even though I only have surrounds A, and the back pair. I wonder if this is a programming glitch. I should contact Denon...
post #103 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase View Post

longshanksdvd,
Interesting. I use my 3806 as a pre-amp as well and it always finds surrounds A, B and the back surrounds, even though I only have surrounds A, and the back pair. I wonder if this is a programming glitch. I should contact Denon...

Well this is very interesting. I also use my 3806 as a pre/pro and it also finds speakers that don't exist. When I use the internal amps, it does not. I have wondered if this affects the sound at all.
post #104 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Because one of longshanks post quoted from Denon's web site I decided to check out what else might be of interest there. I came across the audyssey FAQ section that longshanks quote came from. While reading through it I was surprised to find that the microphone should be pointed upwards when doing the tests. I had pointed toward the front during my tests. Who knew? Time to retest for me.

In any case, it's a good read. Congrats to longshanks finding it in the first place.

Nick

http://usa.denon.com/2439.asp

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

1) What is MultEQxt?

Audyssey MultEQxt is an acoustical correction technology that calibrates a Denon A/V Receiver so that it can achieve optimum performance for every listener within a large listening area. There are two components to MultEQxt:

(i) Automatic Setup (Auto Setup)

(ii) Multi-listener equalization.

During Auto Setup, MultEQxt first finds how many loudspeakers are connected in the system, then determines the loudspeaker type (satellite or subwoofer), checks the absolute polarity (phase) of each channel, and identifies the optimum crossover frequency for each loudspeaker and the subwoofer(s). After that it calculates the distance between each loudspeaker and the first microphone position in order to automatically set the appropriate delays. Finally, it identifies any level differences among the loudspeakers and automatically sets the trims.

The multi-listener equalization process combines measurements from several locations within the listening area to create filters that address the acoustical problems arising from the interaction of sound with the environment.

2) How is MultEQxt different from other equalization methods?

There are two fundamental differences from every other Room Eq method available in AV receivers today. The first is that MultEQxt is not based on parametric equalization. Parametric equalization relies on a few bands that are centered at certain frequencies. These bands do not provide sufficient resolution to address many room acoustical problems. Also, parametric bands tend to interact so that changes at one frequency have undesirable results at nearby frequencies. Moreover, parametric equalization methods use a particular type of digital filter called Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) that only attempts to correct the magnitude response in the frequency domain. These filters can cause unwanted effects, such as ringing or smearing, in the time domain particularly as the bands get narrower. MultEQxt uses Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters for equalization that use sevral hundred coefficients to achieve much higher resolution in the frequency domain than parametric bands. Furthermore, by their nature, FIR filters simulatneously provide correction in the frequency and time domains.

The second major difference is that MultEQxt combines multiple measurements to create equalization filters that better represent the acoustical problems in the room. Most other methods only perform a single point measurement and this can result in making other locations in the room sound worse than before equalization. There are some methods that use spatial averaging to combine multiple room measurements. Although this is a step above single-point correction, it does not always provide optimum correction. For example, it is common to find a peak at a certain frequency in one location and a dip at the same frequency at another nearby location. The averaging methods will add the peak and the dip and this will result in an apparent flat response at that frequency, thus causing the equalization filter to take no action. MultEQxt uses a clustering method to combine measurements so that acoustical problems are better represented, thus allowing the equalization filter to perform the appropriate correction at each location.

3) What is a target curve?

Once the room measurements are completed, MultEQxt calculates a filter for each loudspeaker channel including the subwoofer. The role of these filters is to achieve a particular frequency response within the entire listening area for each loudspeaker. This curve is determined based on several acoustical and program materiial considerations and is called a target or calibration curve.

4) What target curves does MultEQxt use?

Contrary to popular belief, a target curve that is flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz is not always the one that will produce the correct sound. There are several reasons for this including the fact that loudspeakers are much more directional at high frequencies than they are at low frequencies. This means that the balance of direct and room sound is very different at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum. In Denon A/V receivers equipped with MultEQxt, you have a choice of (4) listening target curves, or modes'; please note for different source inputs, your prefered listening mode is remembered in Personal Memory Plus. These are:

The Audyssey' target curve setting makes the appropriate correction at high frequencies to alleviate this problem. A slight roll-off is introduced that restores the balance between direct and reflected sound.

The Flat' setting uses the MultEQxt filters in the same way as the Audyssey curve, but it does not apply a high frequency roll-off. This setting is appropriate for very small or highly treated rooms in which the listener is seated quite close to the loudspeakers. It is also recommended for all rooms when the receiver is in THX processing mode. This allows THX re-equalization to operate exactly as it was intended.

The Front' setting uses the MultEQxt filters that were calculated for the entire listening area, but it does not apply any filtering to the front left and right loudspeakers. The average measured response from the front left and right loudspeakers is used as the target curve for the remaining loudspeakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat as is the case for all the settings described above.

Finally, the Manual' setting is a traditional Graphic equalizer that does not use the MultEQxt filters. However the base curve' that was measured during the Auto Setup process, can be copied to the Graphic EQ, where you can then make adjustments to your personal tastes, again no other properties of MultEQxt are applied with this setting.

5) Why does MultEQxt correct beyond 300 Hz?

There is a belief that room correction should only be applied to frequencies below 300 Hz or so because that is the frequency range in which most of the room problems occur. This belief is based on an inherent assumption that a properly designed loudspeaker will perform as desired at higher frequencies and thus require no correction. This is not at all contradictory to MultEQxt. If the loudspeaker is in fact properlly designed then no correction will be applied to it. One simple fact that the proponents of this theory seem to overlook is that even the best designed loudspeakers will suffer from artifacts at high frequencies produced by reflections from nearby flat surfaces such as plasma screens or cabinets. MultEQxt performs this kind of correction when it is needed to allow the loudspeaker to achieve the performance it was designed to have.

6) My speakers are wired correctly, why does MultEQxt give a Phase error?

MultEQxt detects absolute phase for each loudspeaker. Some loudspeakers are designed with intentional phase reversals in the drivers in order to address crossover problems. MultEQxt will detect that and report an error. The best course of action is to simply check the wiring and press Skip if it is correct. MultEQxt simply reports a possible wiring reversal, it does not automatically switch the phase.

7) My subwoofer is physically closer than the distance reported by MultEQxt. Why?

Many powered subwoofers do not provide the capability to defeat the built-in low-pass filter. These filters, by their nature, introduce additional delay in the signal and MultEQxt finds that and reports it. The optimum solution is to turn the filters off (often called LFE mode in subwoofers). If that is not possible, set the low pass frequency to the highest possible setting and leave the distance reported as it. MultEQxt will compensate for the added delay and time align the subwoofer to the satellite channels so that the optimum blend is achieved.

8) How many listening locations can be measured?

The equalization performance increases with the number of measurements. Audyssey recommends a minimum of 4 with most rooms performing best with 6 measurements. The maximum number of measurements is limited by the available memory in the receiver or controller and in some products can go up to 8. Depending on the model of Denon A/V receiver, the number of points that can be measured is the only difference in the MultEQxt system.

(i) AVR-5805 and 4806 offer 8 points of measurement

(ii) AVR-4306, 3806 and 2807 offer 6 points of measurement

9) Does the microphone have to be placed in each seat?

No. The ideal calibration consists of 6-8 measurements that encompass the listening area. It is important to have the microphone in the main listening position for the first measurement so that the delays are calculated correctly. After that, the mic should be moved around so that it covers an area within which listeners will be seated.

10) Is the supplied Denon microphone calibrated?

Yes, the Denon microphone is calibrated to a ¼ industry-standard measurement microphone. The correction is applied to the measurements as they are being taken. It is important to use ONLY the microphone that comes with the Denon A/V receiver, as the calibration curve built-in to the receiver is specific to that microphone. It is also critical to point the microphone upwards and to place it at ear height. Any other microphone will have different characteristics and thus will not produce the right results. Denon offers (2) different models of microphones, the DM-S305 (AVR-5805/4806) and DM-S205 (all othe AVRs featuring Auto Setup and Room EQ) microphones have different calibration curves and are NOT interchangeable.

11) Does MultEQxt eliminate the need for acoustic treatment?

No. Although MultEQxt will improve sound significantly in untreated rooms, a properly treated room calibrated with MultEQxt can achieve stunning results throughout the listening area.

12) How well does MultEQxt work at low frequencies?

This is one of the unique strengths of MultEQxt. Room correction methods based on parametric equalization do not have enough bands or processing power to apply correction in the bass frequency range. MultEQxt uses a unique implementation of FIR filters that achieves very good resolution at frequencies below those that standard FIR filters can reach. The resolution of the MultEQxt filters varies with frequency and this allocates more of the filter correction power where it is needed the most: in the lower frequencies.

NOTE: Early production models of the AVR-5805 and 4806 did not accurately process low frequencies, however firmware has been released to correct this. Please visit the product pages for each model on the Denon website, www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp, for more information.

13) Does MultEQxt compensate for loudspeakers placed behind a projector screen?

If the calibration is performed with the screen in place, MultEQxt will automatically create filters for behind-the-screen loudspeakers that compensate for the screen loss.

14) What happens to the MultEQxt settings when the parameters are changed?

MultEQxt corrects for room acoustical problems. Changes in the tone controls do not change the filter performance. They do change the tonal balance based on the preferences of the customer. The benefit of MultEQxt is that it allows a customer (or installer) tone control setting to work on all program material in a much more predictable way than it would on an uncalibrated system. Changes made to the crossover frequency or small and large settings of the loudspeakers do not affect the performance of the MultEQxt filters.

15) Is there a danger of overdriving the loudspeakers by using MultEQxt?

No, MultEQxt filters are calculated by taking into account the capability of the loudspeaker and the overall gain structure of the system. Limits in correction are imposed at each frequency to prevent the loudspeakers from being overdriven.

16) How can the performance of MultEQxt be measured?

Proper frequency response measurement requires the right equipment. This includes a calibrated ¼ microphone and software that can perform averaging over time and space. Unfortunately, many of the programs available on the internet or elsewhere do not perform room measurements correctly and this can give rise to misleading results. For example, many only allow a single microphone position and do not perform time averaging. The simple solution of using a test disc with sinusoidal tones and a sound pressure level meter is also inappropriate for measuring room responses because of the sensitivity of sinusoids to standing waves. For recommendations on proper room measurement techniques and software please contact Audyssey Laboratories directly, www.audysseylabs.com.
post #105 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase View Post

longshanksdvd,

Wonder if it's because Surround A and Surround B share amplification (and presumably Pre-Outs). For the Pre-Outs it sends a test signal out as normal. It would detect something connected to the Surround Pre-Out when it tests for Surround A, it would then pick up the same thing again when it tests for Surround B. Wouldn't be a problem using the internal amps as each speaker is attached to it's own speaker terminal, it would pick up Surround A but then nothing for Surround B. Just a thought anyway.

I use my A1XV (5805) as a Pre-Amp and it doesn't suffer this problem. Presumably it's down to the fact it has separate Surround A and Surround B Pre-Outs.
post #106 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Jase,

Not following you. There is seperate preouts as well on the 4306. I think it is a definate glitch. Other need to call in though because Denon said that I was the first that has informed them.
post #107 of 417 Old 06-23-2006, 02:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Jase,

Not following you. There is seperate preouts as well on the 4306. I think it is a definate glitch. Other need to call in though because Denon said that I was the first that has informed them.

I'll call them first thing Monday and deliver the same story. But actually the content for both the speakers that actually exist and the ones that don't is exactly the same so it "shouldn't" really make a difference in the way the system sounds. But it's still a glitch.
post #108 of 417 Old 06-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jase,

Not following you. There is seperate preouts as well on the 4306.

Not for Surround A and Surround B. It just has Surround Pre-Outs and Surround Back Pre-Outs. It has a couple of others for Zone 2 and Zone 3.
post #109 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What a great find longshanks! I knew that one could change the crossovers and large small, however I had wondered if changing the crossovers would contaminate audyssey's EQ settings. I asked this question to Chris from audyssey and he never answered. I can now happily keep all my speakers small and raise all crossovers to 80Hz. For me, this was the last unanswered question up to this point. Why the F_CK Chris did not answer this is a mystery to me. This is basic information. Should be in the manual too, but my expectations from Chris were a bit higher than what is in the manual.

Nick

Nick,

I was on travel and did not have internet contact for a few days. I am surprised at your language given how many of your messages I have answered. I had a higher opinion of you as a sophisticated person, but apparently I was wrong. I have no interest in engaging in discussions with people that use this type of abusive language.

Goodby and good luck.

Chris

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
post #110 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...While reading through it I was surprised to find that the microphone should be pointed upwards when doing the tests. I had pointed toward the front during my tests. Who knew? Time to retest for me.

In any case, it's a good read. Congrats to longshanks finding it in the first place.

Nick

Pointing the microphone at the ceiling is standard practice when making measurements. This is explained in the manual on p. 10, but could admittedly be better shown in a picture or diagram.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris

post #111 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 07:58 AM

Chris,

I can't speak for Nick, but I don't think he meant that comment, like it sounded. You know how posts on the internet are. If you type like you talk, it can come off sounding a lot different than you intended.

Anyway, I hope you don't stop partipating in the thread. I know a lot of were learning about your product because of your participation.

I think this was good for not only us customers, but for you and Denon too. The Denon\\Audyssey implemtation is a bit confusing especially with Denon's user manual being so poor. I think answering questions is helping people, and improving the chance of repeat business.

Either way, thanks for the information provided to date. At this point, I am at least using the Flat setting. I still can't the Audyssey setting setup good enough to use. he mids sound great, but the bass sounds absent.

Thanks,
Darrell McCombs
post #112 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris,

I can't speak for Nick, but I don't think he meant that comment, like it sounded. You know how posts on the internet are. If you type like you talk, it can come off sounding a lot different than you intended.

Anyway, I hope you don't stop partipating in the thread. I know a lot of were learning about your product because of your participation.

I think this was good for not only us customers, but for you and Denon too. The Denon\\Audyssey implemtation is a bit confusing especially with Denon's user manual being so poor. I think answering questions is helping people, and improving the chance of repeat business.

Either way, thanks for the information provided to date. At this point, I am at least using the Flat setting. I still can't the Audyssey setting setup good enough to use. he mids sound great, but the bass sounds absent.

Thanks,
Darrell McCombs

Hi Darrell,

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I certainly don't plan to stop participating just because of one user's poor use of language.

Regarding your observation, that is very strange...There is absolutely no difference between "Flat" and "Audyssey" in the bass. They are identical. The only difference is above 10 kHz where the Audyssey curve introduces a slight roll-off.

For movies, we recommend using the Flat curve with THX engaged so that THX re-eq can work as Tom Holman designed it. For music it is a little more challenging as there are no standards in mixing so either one may work best depending on the content. Admittedly, the manual needs to be updated to better reflect these recommendations...

Best regards,
Chris

Chris

post #113 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 AM

If one decides to rerun the autosetup, it is as simple as just starting over. Or does the avr need to be reinitialized/reset?
post #114 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Pointing the microphone at the ceiling is standard practice when making measurements. This is explained very clearly in the manual in Step 2 (after Step 1: connect the microphone). For the 3806 it is on p. 10

"Mount the auto setup microphone onto a camera
tripod, etc., and place it at ear height at the main
listening position in the listening room with the
sound receptor facing the ceiling."

I am surprised that people can complain so vigorously about something that is answered by simply reading the manual. Any so called "tests" that were so prominently discussed in this thread are pretty much completely invalid since the basic instructions were not followed.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris, if you, me, Denon, Audyssey and all the rest on this site were perfect we would not need this forum to work through the problems. I missed one sentence in what is a dismal manual and then you make a snippy comments like those in the post above. This is an insult aimed at me.

I can only speak for myself, but if you had left a quick post on June 16 to say you would be away from the discussion for a week it would had helped me (maybe others too) to know that you were not just walking away from the thread after being very active up until that point.

To add, I am personally offended by your comments about me both directly and indirectly in this and other posts. You don't like certain four letter words, fine, just let me know and I will respect your values, but do not come off huffy like you are superior because I used a word you do not like. I rarely use that language online, however I was understandably frustrated by Auto EQ and your disappearing act after promising your participation in this thread.

I think you owe me an apology.

Nick
post #115 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chris,

Thanks,
Darrell McCombs

Thanks for the support Darrell, I certainly was not intending to be attacking or inflamatory.

Regards,

Nick
post #116 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have edited my post to remove any comments that may be taken in a negative fashion. Let's move on and talk about fun stuff.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris

post #117 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 12:07 PM

Chris,

As previously requested by another member can someone at your company put together step by step instructions for us newbies to use that covers the information in this thread? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SCR
post #118 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerncentralrain2 View Post

Chris,

As previously requested by another member can someone at your company put together step by step instructions for us newbies to use that covers the information in this thread? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SCR

SCR,

That's a great suggestion. I must have missed the earlier post about that. I will work on it and post here in a few days.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris

post #119 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:

SCR,

That's a great suggestion. I must have missed the earlier post about that. I will work on it and post here in a few days.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I want to let you know how much i appreciate your participation on these forums. Audyssey is one of the primary reasons I purchased my AVR-5805. I, like others, have had mixed results, but think the concept is sound. I look forward to your post, and also want to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions via e-mail when I had had them.

Joe Koszalinski
post #120 of 417 Old 06-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Chris,

You are right, I re-ran my comparasons and the bass are the same in the Audyssey and Flat settings. Both settings really knocked my Bass down. The bass was taken down -4DB at 125hz, and -8DB at 63hz.

You mentioned that Flat should be used for THX. The 3806 does not have THX decoding correct? Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Many Thanks,
Darrell McCombs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Hi Darrell,

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I certainly don't plan to stop participating just because of one user's poor use of language.

Regarding your observation, that is very strange...There is absolutely no difference between "Flat" and "Audyssey" in the bass. They are identical. The only difference is above 10 kHz where the Audyssey curve introduces a slight roll-off.

For movies, we recommend using the Flat curve with THX engaged so that THX re-eq can work as Tom Holman designed it. For music it is a little more challenging as there are no standards in mixing so either one may work best depending on the content. Admittedly, the manual needs to be updated to better reflect these recommendations...

Best regards,
Chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page