Help... Yamaha RX-V1500 AVR Shuts down after on for 3 seconds?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 06-19-2006, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, this is my first time posting. I always checked here in the past for solutions to problems, but this time I am in need of direct feedback.

Background: I've got a Yamaha RX-V1500 Receiver that sits as a center piece in my home theater. I had a DVD player (component plugs) and a DirecTV box (RCA plugs) feeding into it, and it was hooked up to ceiling built in speakers(5.1) and a Panasonic projection HDTV (480p, 720i, 1080i), all put together by the nice people at Ultimate Electronics. And everything worked fine and dandy.

Problem: A couple of days ago, I bought myself an Xbox 360 and hooked it up to the receiver, setup the Xbox to 1080i display and played until I passed out. my god, it was gorgeous. This morning, when I went to go download some stuff onto my Xbox, I turned on the receiver, and it turned off in 3 seconds. "Strange," i thought to myself. I turned it on once again, and it turned off in 2 seconds. I pulled out the manual and looked in the troubleshooting section, and it told me to unplug the receiver for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in and turn it on. So, I did, and it still turns off about 3 seconds after I turn it on. I tried changing inputs, turning down the volume, and shutting off the other zones that the receiver controls. Still the same. Picture come through once I turn it on, but there seems to be no sound before it turns off again. Any guesses as to what is up?

As of right now, it has been unplugged for about 10 minutes, long enough for me to write this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-19-2006, 03:00 AM

Check all speaker connections and make sure speaker wire is not joined together falsly. IT seems so far to me that it is a safety shut of that is happening as there might be a interconect or speaker wire rubbing against something. Check to see if the xbox is setup corectly and is not plugged in to something it should'nt be. Its probably something small so chck all things. This is a good time to learn. Dont get frustrated. Good Luck. Regards Grassy..

The most endangered spiecies is the honest man.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

I just unplugged everything connected to the receiver (components, speakers, sub, TV), and tried to turn it on...and it still turns itself off after about 3 seconds! This is mind boggling, and its late. Perhaps i should call Ultimate Electronics and see if they can figure out what is going on.

All I can remember the last time it worked was that I was playing the 360 on low-medium volume, and I turned the receiver off myself (it didnt turn itself off). I don't think it is overheating since it is sitting on a very open shelf above the TV with no obstructions anywhere. Have any other ideas?
post #4 of 23 Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I emailed this problem to yamaha customer support, and they said that the unit will need to be serviced. Does that sound about right? I will give them a call later in the day, but right now I am still tired from "troubleshooting" the receiver.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-19-2006, 02:32 PM

OK, take all xbox connections away for a sec and then try your amp, if it still shuts down phone your nearest service centre and explain the problem to them. I have never heard of an amp getting serviced before(i could be wrong) , how can yamaha say something like that without seeing it. Ask yourself how old is your amp?, is it under warranty? I have had problems like this in the past. Put it down to experience and learn from it and be patient. Meanwhile if i think of something else i will post it here.Regards Grassy

The most endangered spiecies is the honest man.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

The last thing I tried before hauling the receiver away to the service center was to plug it in to a different power outlet in a different room, with absolutely nothing connected to it, and of course it still turned itself off.

So, I took it down to the authorized service center, and turned it over to them. I bought the receiver in November 2004, so 2 year warranty will cover it. 3 week turnaround for the receiver was not at the top of my list, but since I am still a college student, free service looked mighty tempting to me.

I really like this receiver, it has a solid build quality, nothing looks or feels cheap, and I love the independent 3 zone control. Anyone else with Yamaha AVRs have problems with his or hers? My allegiance to Yamaha has been tested, and the outcome heavily depends on their customer service, which has so far been superb.

Thanks for your replies, grassy. If you have any other ideas, feel free to share them with me. As for me, well, I will post something about how everything is going when I call the service center next week, and will definitely say something when I get the receiver back.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's been over a week since I sent it in, and they told me that they had to order some capacitors. That's all they said. Little parts makin big problems, thank you technology.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 AM

What was your outcome and fix time? We are having the same issue.

Thanks

yubakram
------------------------------
My DIY Screen Endeavor!
post #9 of 23 Old 09-21-2006, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I wound up having some blown capacitors. I dont think it was due to the 360, but rather some sort of freak accident or surge. Nevertheless it still took Yamaha 2 weeks to get it back to me. The customer service was great, just took a long time. It has been working line new since I got it back. Hope this helps!

Jack
post #10 of 23 Old 09-21-2006, 08:03 AM

I had the same problem with my RX-V1500. I replaced it with an Onkyo 803S. I'm going to give my repaired RX-V1500 away. I prefer the Onkyo in just about every category over the Yamaha, so it worked out okay.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 AM

Bought my Yamaha 1500 1,5 years ago. I now have the same problem. had it once before a few weeks ago, but it "disappeared". Now the problem is back. There seems to be no reason for the problem.
I'm trying to figure out how to solve it without losing it for several weeks.
Reading the forum it seems like a construction problem?
post #12 of 23 Old 11-14-2006, 08:22 PM

Have had my 1500 23 months. Last time I used it a couple days ago was only in 2 channel stereo mode medium volume. Today, shuts off after three seconds and have done the uplug and remove all external devices and wires. I'm posting to thank you all for telling me to get thee to the shop. Only other time the amp shuts down is when I've been pushing it hard around 0 decibles in THX mode like when the evil robot is trying to kill the dad incredible in the jungle. I've checked every speaker wire for any thing that could possibly short and disconected every wire one at a time and the system still shuts down on the big hits. I also only use the preamp sub out with a SVS sub woofer. Sounds incredible till amp wants safe mode...
post #13 of 23 Old 12-27-2006, 02:59 AM

Got my 1500 repaired end of october (2006). Last week the same problem came back (auto switch-off in 2 to 3 seconds). After 24 hours I accidentially found out that the problem was gone again (like the first time). I expect the problem to be back somewhere in the coming weeks ....
What is going on here?!!?
post #14 of 23 Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 AM

same exact problem - - one time i left it disconnected over 24 hrs and it started working again-

now again a year later its happening again-
trying to disconnect everything from ever connection and see what the !@#%!@#%!@-- nope same problem

saw this elsewhere:

If it is going into protection mode even when there are no speakers connected OR when the sound level is very, very low or zero it is not good news.

Yes, unplugging the line cord will cause the protection system to reset itself. But, if it shuts itself off again soon after rebooting it is a sign of bad grease in the output stages -- in all probability.

Let me explain: The audio output transistors are mounted to a large heatsink which keeps them cool during operation. They are electrically isolated from touching the heatsink by an electrical insulating washer. But, in order to keep them cool and allow for good thermal conductivity of the heat generated by the output transistors the washers are treated with a heat conducting grease. Over time this grease will dry out and lose its heat conductivity ability allowing the temperature of the transistors to rise; as the heat goes up they conduct more current and cause the protection system to activate and shut the set down (in order to avoid damage to the set).

That is the most common cause of your symptoms. However, there are several other possibilities, but I give this explanation a 90% probability based on my experience.

AC
post #15 of 23 Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Same thing Happened to my rx-v1500 that was installed back in july 2005. 2 months ago, I had to send it to Yamaha for the same problem, when it got there, they didnt find anything wrong with the unit and they shipped it back to me. It worked fine for 2 weeks and then the problem started again.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 PM

I inherited my RXV1500 from my friend. He had this system plugged in with a DVD player and a PS2 and a 360. He never mentioned any of those problems to me. So when I got it from him I was psyched. I finally had a surround sound system.

Well after I plugged all my stuff in I experienced the same thing that everyone else has. Mine shut off as well. I was mind boggled because he never mentioned this problem to me. Then I remembered that he had a pelican system control center that he plugged all his stuff into and then wired it to the tuner.

So I went to my local Fry's and bought the joytech contol system center and now I am just fine. I did this because my system is out of warranty. So if your system is still under warranty ship it to them and have them fix it. Otherwise you can go to fry or best buy and get one of these. I got my control system for 40 bucks and the pelican 2.0 is 50 bucks. Good luck all.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM

aside from buying that joytech contol system, any other way to fix this?

AC : that's a good explanation..but what is the fix?
post #18 of 23 Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joriz View Post

aside from buying that joytech contol system, any other way to fix this?

AC : that's a good explanation..but what is the fix?

replace the cheap washers of course- i sent my unit in for repair locally and that is what they did

AC
post #19 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM

I have finally figured out the solution!!!! Turn the receiver off and press and Hold down the power button, A/B/C/D/E/, and the right preset button at the same time.. Do Not release until sleep light begins to flash in red. Place the input source on to an active input. Allow for music to play for a good amount of time.. When you turn your receiver off and on it should turn back on as normal.. Hope it helps
post #20 of 23 Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Thank you so much for that solution. I have the same problem and have had to have my v1500 on for the last three years 24/7. Last week i accidently turned it off and i couldn't get it back on. You are a star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ceri
post #21 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Daniel, which is the "right preset button"?
post #22 of 23 Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM

It worked for me!!! I have impressed my husband who thought it needed to be replaced. I am now a fixer.

post #23 of 23 Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 AM

Liked: 0
Daniel Campbell Method

I had the same problem and reached a solution of sorts. However, I use my amp as an input switch for video also. The a/b/c/d/e and preset trick puts the amp in diagnosis mode, so a Diagnosis Menu appears and will not go away until i turn off the amp again. So if you use your Yamaha for video too, then the problem is not solved. I had to re-route my video to bypass the amp altogether. Still, it is better than buying a new amp.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page