My Sony Receiver says "PROTECTOR" ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony STR-DE975, about four years old. Woke up, turned on TV and the receiver, couple minutes later, heard a very loud pop, lost all audio and the receiver flashes, "PROTECTOR." A few seconds later I start smelling burnt plastic, really bad.

I've unplugged everything from the wall, and some quick Googlin' suggests that something is friend, but I was hoping that if anyone had any other experience with this to please share their story.

Someone said this is common of fried output ICs, but I have no idea what an output IC is or how much it'd cost to repair.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2006, 05:37 AM

What a coincidence! My dad's Sony STR-DE345 receiver is about four years old and the very same thing happened to him this weekend. Thinking that damage may have been done to his speakers, I took his receiver to my house and plugged it in using my speakers. To my surprise, "PROTECTOR" still flashes on the display.

When this has happened to my Denon receiver, I turned it off then turned it back on, and it was OK. I permanently solved my Denon's shutdown problem by adding an external amp that could handle 4 ohm loads. Since then everything has been OK. When "PROTECTOR" was displayed on my dad's Sony receiver, I turned the receiver off then back on as the owner's manual suggested, but it still displayed "PROTECTOR." The owner's manual also said to check the speaker wires on the back of the receiver to make sure they weren't shorting out. I did that too, but still couldn't get "PROTECTOR" to stop flashing.

I'm starting to think damage has somehow been done to the receiver. Can't tell if any damage has been done to the speakers since they are still at his house. Moving those to my house, or my receiver to his house, will require a bit more work, but probably will be necessary.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11
I've had it happen before and it was simply the speaker wire leads touching. May not be the same in your case as it was operating fine for quite some time, but it's easy to eliminate. Turn the receiver on with no speakers attached. If it runs fine, start attaching speakers and see when the "protection" kicks on.

Ben
post #4 of 6 Old 06-20-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks, Ben.

I did that, too. Before attaching speakers, I plugged the receiver into an outlet, turned it on, and got the "Protector" message in the display. I then turned it off, hooked up the speakers, was careful to have no stray wire strands, and still got the "Protector" message. That's when I started thinking something's happened to the receiver.

Larry
post #5 of 6 Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Would speaker wire leads touching cause a horrible burning smell to invade the living room? Smell is still lingering.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baragon
Would speaker wire leads touching cause a horrible burning smell to invade the living room? Smell is still lingering.

Your receiver is fried.

Don't waste your money getting it repaired.

Look on E-bay for a similar unit or jsut buy a new model. A used STR- DE-985 goes for about $150 used.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page