The new VSX-1016TXV - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the Onkyo 604 compare with the Pioneer 1016 in terms of good sound quality.

Tv is chewing gum for your eyes
Denon 2307ci|Paradigm Speakers 7.1|PS3|LED 42" LCD|Panasonic Ae4000u projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was watchning NASCAR via DVR and it provided Dolby Digital Audio.

But the 1016 would not provide any selection of processing other then DD. per the manual I should be able to select within a set of processing to for example similate the SBL a dn SBR channels. I have seen option on other broadcasts.

Do you know whats going on here?
thanks!
post #363 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post

So basically those who get the next gen of toshiba HD dvd player ,that has no analog, would have to upgrade their receiver to one that would have hdmi supporting audio as well...so this pioneer i have would be useless..

mmmmmm..... all the frustrations..
lol

Doesn't the Toshiba HD DVD player have Digital Coax or Optical you can connect to the 1016?

John
post #364 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post

I got this on saturday and began fiddling with it,I have paradigms connected and it does sound awesome through myToshiba HD through multi channel inputs..However, once in Multichannel, i cant seem to change it to THX or dolby or any other format like the optical digital (my STB HD PVR) isconnected via. .I guess the THX and dolby etc is only for digital inputs? Ive yet to use the audio calibration mic thingie since im renovating thebasement.
I didnt want to believe the hdmi didnt have the the audio part which was a bummer. since i plugged the hdmi from the toshiba to the input of the receiver n another tot he tv from the rec, but no audio just video..what a waste of space...

So basically those who get the next gen of toshiba HD dvd player ,that has no analog, would have to upgrade their receiver to one that would have hdmi supporting audio as well...so this pioneer i have would be useless..

mmmmmm..... all the frustrations..
lol

Most receivers won't let you apply any other processing to the analog inputs. The HD-DVD player will do the encoding and sent it to the receiver. I have the 1014 and that is the way I use it.

.: Ernie :.
post #365 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

Doesn't the Toshiba HD DVD player have Digital Coax or Optical you can connect to the 1016?

Yes, but to get TrueHD you need to either use the HDMI connection or analog. The DVD player needs to do the encoding for this new format.

.: Ernie :.
post #366 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 11:28 AM

I bought the 1016 mainly because it was affordable, i could bi amp, and it had HDMI.

Anyways i am really happy with the sound and how the bi amping works. I have AR312 HO's for my front mains and they have side firing 12's i think they sound great now that they are bi amp.

I highly recommend this receiver. Still unsure about 90 percent of what it can do. But the auto setup was great for being able to listen right away to my new system.

How do the rest of you guys feel it does on the auto setup? I am not to well versed on setting up speakers so i am debating on wither or not i should try to do it manually.
post #367 of 489 Old 10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355FTS View Post

I bought the 1016 mainly because it was affordable, i could bi amp, and it had HDMI.

Anyways i am really happy with the sound and how the bi amping works. I have AR312 HO's for my front mains and they have side firing 12's i think they sound great now that they are bi amp.

I highly recommend this receiver. Still unsure about 90 percent of what it can do. But the auto setup was great for being able to listen right away to my new system.

How do the rest of you guys feel it does on the auto setup? I am not to well versed on setting up speakers so i am debating on wither or not i should try to do it manually.

I think it does good. There is a review of this receiver on cnet and they said it was almost perfect on its auto setup routine, as compared to other receivers that do not auto setup properly. Really glowing reviews, only real negative is the no audio via HDMI, otherwise they really liked it.

post #368 of 489 Old 11-04-2006, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

My 4 years old Vsx-43tx Elite Receiver died last week. I am planing now to replace it. I was looking about the new Elite 82, but it is beyond my budget. I saw the 1016 for $385 and think it is a good deal.
What do you think about sound quality? Do you think will be a downgrade?
I will use it mainly for music/movies 5.1, and I use it with Pre-outs to my Tube amp, so power is not an issue. I think Processor quality is more important.

Any help will be wellcome.

Many thanks

Antonio
post #369 of 489 Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altsouza View Post

Hi,

My 4 years old Vsx-43tx Elite Receiver died last week. I am planing now to replace it. I was looking about the new Elite 82, but it is beyond my budget. I saw the 1016 for $385 and think it is a good deal.
What do you think about sound quality? Do you think will be a downgrade?
I will use it mainly for music/movies 5.1, and I use it with Pre-outs to my Tube amp, so power is not an issue. I think Processor quality is more important.

Any help will be wellcome.

Many thanks

Antonio

I think much of the internal components are similar to the entry level Elite series. I listened to the 74tx with the 1016 back to back at my local shop on the Energy speakers I purchased and could not hear any difference. So, given the great price of the 1016, went with it. My only beefs are the limitations for HDMI (which aren't a really big deal to me) and I think the Elite models look better... wasn't worth the extra bucks for what I considered to be almost identical sound quality.
post #370 of 489 Old 11-04-2006, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi gthal,

Many thanks for your info. As I said, I will not use the front L/R speakers output, as I use the pre out to my CJ Tube amp, so Amp quality is not a issue. But Processor/DAC quality is very important.
I think I go with the 1016.

Antonio
post #371 of 489 Old 11-04-2006, 01:18 PM

I picked up a 1016 about 6-8 weeks ago after a about 3 months of research and reading and listening. I didn't want to post a review right away. I wanted to live with it for a bit, and get my new speakers. I can now say this amp is exceptional. I'm extremely happy with it. In fact, I just convinced a friend to buy one. The setup is easy, and the auto-cal is unbelievably accurate, I only tweaked a few tiny things.

One of my favorite features is the ability to assign inputs (optical 1, optical 2, etc.) dynamically to the various buttons/channels (TV, DVD, VCR1, etc.) This only works for digital inputs, but since that's what most of my setup is these days, that's all I needed. That feature makes life so much easier (rather than trying to remember your DVD is plugged into "sat" because that's the connection you needed and your cable box is plugged into "DVD", etc.).

The main reason this was my top choice was that it had every feature that most $700 amps had. And I was willing to spend more money for the right feature set, but this had it all at under $400! I still wasn't convinced - I wondered what I was missing for that extra moneym but after reading mostly stellar reviews here, and listening to one in a store, I was convinced. I have no complaints about this unit.

For what it's worth, I have this unit setup with Digital HD Cable, a 50" Zenith Plasma, and the Klipsch RF-52 set of speakers. Tied together with the Harmony 880 universal remote, I'm in heaven.
post #372 of 489 Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM

Ok what is the trick to turn on your dedicated sub when listening to 2 channel stereo on this thing.

Ive read through the manual but dont see it.
post #373 of 489 Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM

Just as an addition- REMOTE Losing Codes.

I have a Pioneer VSX -1015TX.

I use th universal learning, preprogrammed remote.

I just switched batteries sunday. My remote RETAINED the learned codes.

If your remote is not, 1 of 2 things is wrong.

1. Your remote is defective.
2. Pioneer redesigned the remote, and made it horrible. Cause Ive got at least 3 different devices custom programmed, and thats a lot of learning to do every few month.

----------
In other words, based on the 1015 remotes design, your remote should NOT lose its learned codes.

7.1 Goodness. High Definition is the only way to go.
post #374 of 489 Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Well i was lookin at this receiver but dont like the lack of audio over hdmi. Now i have heard the manual is wrong and it does infact pass audio over hdmi is this true or not? i want to use lpcm over hdmi or analog for hd-dvd for true hd. I also have a hd dvr with hdmi. Will this receiver be good for that or should i get the Onkyo 674, Denon 887 for this?
post #375 of 489 Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 AM

F355FTS: I don't think most amps do this. It's generally specific to the .1 in 5/6/7.1 audio. I've never seen an amp power the .1 for 2-channel audio.
post #376 of 489 Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Ok what is the trick to turn on your dedicated sub when listening to 2 channel stereo on this thing.

On page 28 of the manual:

Listening in Stereo
When you select STEREO or DIRECT, you will hear the source through just the front left and right speakers (and possibly your subwoofer depending on your speaker
settings). Dolby Digital, DTS and WMA9 Pro multichannel sources are downmixed to stereo.

See page 37 for speaker setup and settings.

Manual Speaker Setup

Speaker Setting

2. Choose the set of speakers that you want to set
then select a speaker size. Use the arrows to select the size (and number) of each of the following speakers:
Front- Select SMALL to send the bass frequencies to the subwoofer.

Note
1. If you select SMALL for the front speakers the subwoofer will automatically be fixed to YES. Also, the center, surround, and surround back speakers can't be set to LARGE if the front speakers are set to SMALL. In this case, all bass frequencies are sent to the subwoofer.

Hope this helps.

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #377 of 489 Old 11-07-2006, 04:11 AM

Quote:

You can select the fronts LR as "small" speakers or you can set them to "large" and then select "PLUS" for the subwoofer. This runs the fronts and the sub in stereo. I found the bass overwhelming with the speakers set to large/plus. I prefer "small" for the fronts which sends everything below 80Hz to the sub.
post #378 of 489 Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 AM

Hmm i ive tried it with the front set to small and large and plus for the woofer. Movies work fine. But when i play a music cd only my front L and R play, no sub.

I am using an original xbox as my cd player and sending the signal to the receiver through a fiber optic cable. Could that have something to do with it?
post #379 of 489 Old 11-07-2006, 09:11 AM

Just thought of something i have my sub set to auto on. Could it be that a music cd isnt sending a strong enough signal to turn on the sub?

I think that might be it. To bad i always think of this stuff at work where i cant try it out.
post #380 of 489 Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Just thought of something i have my sub set to auto on. Could it be that a music cd isnt sending a strong enough signal to turn on the sub?

I think that might be it. To bad i always think of this stuff at work where i cant try it out.

Yes I have the same issue with auto on on my sub... I have to turn up the amp to about -20db to get my sub to kick on. After it starts I can turn it down and the sub still works but it will eventually turn off even though it is still pumping out sound.

Brendin
post #381 of 489 Old 11-25-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I currently have a Samsung DLP TV with only 1 HDMI input. This is normally connected to my HR10-250 HD-TIVO. I have a new Panasonic upconvert-via-HDMI DVD player.

We normally watch DirecTV with standard audio wired to the L/R input on the TV from the Tivo. The Tivo is also connected optically to my Yamaha 7.1-ch receiver and we do watch movies using the receiver. But for normal everday viewing we leave the receiver off.

With the new DVD player I have to unplug/plug the HDMI tv cable each time to get upconverted video. I am looking to get the Monoprice 2x1 HDMI switch to eliminate all this cable switching.

So if I got the VSX-1016 and connected my DVD player and HD-Tivo to the HDMI inputs and HDMI out to the TV would I need to have the receiver powered to get video to the TV? Or, like a HDMI switch, will it pass the video without being on?

Hope I described it clearly.
post #382 of 489 Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 PM

Receiver needs to be on.
post #383 of 489 Old 11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyNAVY View Post

Receiver needs to be on.

Thanks for the quick reply. I kinda thought so.
post #384 of 489 Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
will this reciever do component switching.... 2 component in 1 out to the plasma?

I know it will not do Up-converting, but I can probably live with that...

I have 1 hdmi (Dish), and 1 component in(XBOX) and want to send out to Plasma, and let the reciever do the switching... but Instead of the HDMI (DISH), I can switch that to component and send one component to the plasma..

So DISH(component), and Xbox(component) in to the reciever, and 1 component out to the Plasma...

thanks

Warp
post #385 of 489 Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

will this reciever do component switching.... 2 component in 1 out to the plasma?

I know it will not do Up-converting, but I can probably live with that...

I have 1 hdmi (Dish), and 1 component in(XBOX) and want to send out to Plasma, and let the reciever do the switching... but Instead of the HDMI (DISH), I can switch that to component and send one component to the plasma..

So DISH(component), and Xbox(component) in to the reciever, and 1 component out to the Plasma...

thanks

Warp

yes it will do component switching

post #386 of 489 Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone confirm that the 1016 doesn't have a 12 volt trigger...

Was going to seperate amp new speaks, but if It doesn't have 12v trigger, I guess I need to look elsewhere...
Can't seem to settle in on something here... grrrr
post #387 of 489 Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone confirm that the 1016 doesn't have a 12 volt trigger...

Was going to seperate amp new speaks, but if It doesn't have 12v trigger, I guess I need to look elsewhere...
Can't seem to settle in on something here... grrrr

No it does NOT have a 12v trigger.

Try downloading the manuals for products your interested in, you might find that it will help you in your search.

post #388 of 489 Old 12-29-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Was looking on the manual, and was thinking I missed it... sorry...

Thanks for your help...

Warp
post #389 of 489 Old 12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was looking on the manual, and was thinking I missed it... sorry...

Thanks for your help...

Warp

Don't be sorry, I was thinking for your future choices you should download the manuals... was not implying that you didn't look in the manual.

post #390 of 489 Old 12-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering this receiver but the quote for another post "The manual states that you should have 8" of clearance above the receiver" has me thinking about heat. What kind of shelves are you guys using that has 15 inches of space?
My present rack would have about 2" clearance from the top, although the sides are open. Wondering if that is acceptable for heat dispersal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page