Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3579 Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm2284 View Post

I have an 82 Elite and have been enjoying it for over a month now. I have just recently run into an issue when turning on my hometheater. I have my digital cable and DVD player running into the
82 using compnent cables and one HDMI running out to my LCD.

The problem was that when I turned on the system, the screen flickered red and green with sound. It looked like the component cables were loose. I checked and they were fine and the next time I got no picture
at all. The TV wasn't even recognizing an HDMI connection. I unplugged and re connected the HDMI and made sure video conversion was on. The TV works because I tried running straight
component to the TV bypassing the reciever. Also the audio is fine the issue seems to just be with the video. Is there anything else I can try before I attempt to take it back for service?

Similar thing happened to me. The screen was all green. I rebooted, same problem. Then I used a different HDMI cable, and it worked again. Give it a try if you have a spare one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3579 Old 09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi,

I'm considering the VSX-84TXSi....can anyone tell me what prices they can be had at and where to purchase online?

I don't think anyone in my area has them, so I'll probably have to order online.
post #813 of 3579 Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Hi,

I'm considering the VSX-84TXSi....can anyone tell me what prices they can be had at and where to purchase online?

I don't think anyone in my area has them, so I'll probably have to order online.

Do a search for it on
http://www.pricegrabber.com
http://shopping.yahoo.com
http://froogle.google.com
post #814 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 12:53 AM

I can't make it out through the marketing BS, but are the amplifiers on this guy digital (class D or similar) or linear?

TIA,
Paul
post #815 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the DVD tips, does anyone if the 84 with work with 4Ohm speakers (polk in wall)? The manual says you can use 6 Ohms but says nothing about 4 Ohms speakers.
post #816 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf1 View Post

I can't make it out through the marketing BS, but are the amplifiers on this guy digital (class D or similar) or linear?

TIA,
Paul

They're still linear non digital amps. Supposedly they switched to bipolar transistors from MOSFETs.
post #817 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 AM

reefkeep-

I contacted Pioneer about running 4 Ohm speakers (Polk Lsi series) from the 84 and they advised me not to do it. I was told it could potentially damage the unit.

Jimmy
post #818 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 AM

I am trying to get HDMI through put with my cable box Atlanta 8300HD from Cox cable. I am getting from the cable when I turn on the TV that it is not HDCP. The TV I have is a Sony SXRD XBR1 and works fine. What am I doing wrong. Would really like to just run one cable but now requiring one for Cable direct to the TV and the other HDMI for the receiver to the TV. Thanks
post #819 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your 8300HD more than likely has a older firmware and is causing your HDCP problem. And if so, there is not much you can do until Cox cable decides to send it the upgraded firmware. You can try calling your cable company, but they will probably just say that they know nothing about "new firmwares" and that it's not their fault.
post #820 of 3579 Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 PM

Ok I have read all 28 pages of this post and can not find anything specificly related to my problem. I have a Samsung DVD-HD960 DVD player that I have connected to my 84 via HDMI only and then have HDMI only to my Samsung HL-S5687W DLP TV. Both are 1080P Capable. The picture is great however every 5-15 minutes I get a split second of video and audio drop out. All other components 2x HD Tivo's HR10-250 (HDMI only also), XBOX - 360, DV-Video Camera, S-VHS VCR. do not have any issues. If I connect the DVD striaght to the TV no trouble also. I have tried a different HDMI cable to no avial. Any help would be appreciated.
post #821 of 3579 Old 09-27-2006, 07:44 AM

After further testing I have determined that the 84 has major issues with the Samsung DVD-HD960 with HDMI input. The HDMI negotiation is very flaky, every time I switch to DVD I get somthing different somtimes no picture or even 480p, this happens even with the DVD locked at 1080p output. I have decided to bypass the 84 and connect my DVD straight to my TV for now. I hope Pioneer is able to fix this with a firmware update. Its no a big deal but one of the main reasons I choose the 84 was for its HDMI switching and supossed 1080p pass though cababilites.
post #822 of 3579 Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotharr View Post

After further testing I have determined that the 84 has major issues with the Samsung DVD-HD960 with HDMI input. The HDMI negotiation is very flaky, every time I switch to DVD I get somthing different somtimes no picture or even 480p, this happens even with the DVD locked at 1080p output. I have decided to bypass the 84 and connect my DVD straight to my TV for now. I hope Pioneer is able to fix this with a firmware update. Its no a big deal but one of the main reasons I choose the 84 was for its HDMI switching and supossed 1080p pass though cababilites.

You sure it's not the 960 that is the problem? While I don't have this receiver, but I have the 860 Sammy and that player is rather flaky to begin with. Periodic pauses and sometimes it outputs a purple picture to my TV.
post #823 of 3579 Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotharr View Post

Lotharr, I also have an 84, along with the Samsung DVD-HD960, and my experience is exactly the same as yours. I also gave up after a couple days and directly connected it to my Mitsubishi 65731. Fortunately the Mitsu has 2 HDMI inputs so all is ok, except for the extra step of switching inputs on the TV. The good news is the PQ is awesome....really impressed with the 1080P output of the Sammy DVD. I can't imagine HD-DVD being any better. However, like you, HDMI switching and 1080P passthrough was a main deciding criteria in choosing the 84, so I am a little bummed still about that. As you said, hopefully it will be fixed with firmware. If not, I'm still willing to live with it because everything else works so well with the 84, including my HDR-10, which has already received sw update 6.3a and has none of the DD dropout problems so many others are reporting with other receivers.
post #824 of 3579 Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 PM

IMA_TV_ADDICT, thanks for confirming the issue. At least I know it is not just my 84. I have 2 HDMI inputs on my TV also, so while not a big deal for me it would be nice not getting calls at work from my 7 year old duaghter who forgot the she has to switch the TV input to watch a DVD. I am still waiting for 6.3a on my HD Tivo's, I really want folders back. Hopefully I will not get the audio dropout issue either.
post #825 of 3579 Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM

I just purchased the VSX-84TXSi and initially failed to get it functioning. I have a Comcast DCT6412III (HD with 2 tuner DVR and a HDMI out with 12.31 firmware) and a recently purchased Sony KDL-46XBR2.

When I made the initial HDMI connections, my STB told me it was incompatible with the HDMI connection. I called a professional HT installer and he had to use component video connections between the STB and the 84 as well as a digital optic cable for the sound. The 84 is connected to the Sony with a HDMI cable.

A bit frustrating given I've just spent over $5200 on new stuff thinking I could take advantage of the latest technology.

I have read on other threads that some cable companies that issue DCT6412IIIs are upgrading to 12.35 and in some instances 16.20, both of which resolve this issue.

Does anyone have any insight into Comcast Miami and their firmware upgrade plans? FYI, I have tried calling them but this issue is totally outside the scope of their scripted responses.
post #826 of 3579 Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Go here...I bought 2...They Shipped quick and no problems...

http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/pr...d=PIOVSX84TXSI
post #827 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTrack[SIN] View Post

I just purchased the VSX-84TXSi and initially failed to get it functioning. I have a Comcast DCT6412III (HD with 2 tuner DVR and a HDMI out with 12.31 firmware) and a recently purchased Sony KDL-46XBR2.

When I made the initial HDMI connections, my STB told me it was incompatible with the HDMI connection. I called a professional HT installer and he had to use component video connections between the STB and the 84 as well as a digital optic cable for the sound. The 84 is connected to the Sony with a HDMI cable.

A bit frustrating given I've just spent over $5200 on new stuff thinking I could take advantage of the latest technology.

I have read on other threads that some cable companies that issue DCT6412IIIs are upgrading to 12.35 and in some instances 16.20, both of which resolve this issue.

Does anyone have any insight into Comcast Miami and their firmware upgrade plans? FYI, I have tried calling them but this issue is totally outside the scope of their scripted responses.

I have the same problem w/my Comcast DCT3412 I (duel tuner DVR). I just bought a new HDMI cable this week to replace the component cables it came with. I get the same STB incompatibility message, then a green screen when the HDMI is connected. I also have the 84 connected to my LCD (PAN TC32LX60) via HDMI. I guess I'll give Comcast a call tomorrow about that firmware upgrade.
post #828 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

And I ordered one from them 11 days ago, with the website reading "In Stock", and have been told on repeated phone calls that they are awaiting shipment "in 2-3 days". As of today they still don't have any, yet the website continues to say "In Stock".

To top it off, the guy has zero interpersonal skills.

-Steve
post #829 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Sadly they are on backorder. Great price too.
post #830 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 10:44 AM

This is probably a trivial question to most of you:
Is there a way to wirelessly transmit streaming SIRIUS radio coming from my computer to the 84TXi? I have a Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz broadband router attached to my internet modem, and the PC to the Linksys. I there a receiver card/module I can hook up to the 84TXi? Will the PC recognise the 84 via PnP, or do I have to manually network it somehow?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, and I will be grateful for your response.
post #831 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 11:41 AM

I just got off the phone with Comcast and they basically said that I will either have to live with the composite and optical connectors or go HDMI directly to my TV. I asked the guy about a firmware upgrade and he said that there currently wasn't any. Hey FastTrack[SIN], keep me posted if you find any information on the firmware upgrade.
post #832 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM
BMW

How does the 84TXSi handle DSD (SACD) digital data via firewire or presumably HDMI?

Does it convert it to PCM so it can do room correction and bass management?
Does it just have DSD D/A converters and pass it to the volume control?
Or something else?

I have a Oppo 970 that works fine converting DSD to PCM for transfer via HDMI, but I am trying to decide if buying a firewire DVD player is worth the effort. I am not a hard-core audiophile, but I do have several SACDs, and would like to give them the chance to sound their best.

Also, is it possible to route the USB audio with HDMI video. If I select the USB input, and then use the Video Select feature to select HDMI2 (my HTPC), I still do not get a picture. I notice that there are no video selection options for the USB input in the menus, but maybe there is another way?

Brent
post #833 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

It does great via firewire (IEEE 1394, aka i-link, aka S400) for multi-channel SACD & DVD-A. If you can find an HDMI 1.2 player, it should do both through HDMI. I set my daughter up with my old Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVi, which is HDMI 1.1, so only have experience with i-link for multi-channel audio. Room coorection/bass mangement seem to be working well through i-link.

John
post #834 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 PM

One of the components connected to my new '82' is my trusty old Pio Laser Disk player. Analog audio connection works just fine as does the digital/optical output. However connecting the AC-3 RF output, which I thought might be the same as a DD Digital output, produces silence. Connection is made to one of the 2 digital coax inputs and I have reassigned it.

The '82' replaced an older Pio 27 which had a specific AC-3 RF input so I suspect I am out of luck expecting this output from the LD work with the '82'.

Your thoughts?
post #835 of 3579 Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You need an AC-3 RF Demodulator. They seem to run about $200 used on ebay.
post #836 of 3579 Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Sadly they are on backorder. Great price too.

Bummer. I guess I bought the last 2 in stock...(shucks)...
post #837 of 3579 Old 09-29-2006, 01:04 PM

Just picked up a Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD player with I-Link to complement my VSX-84TXSi receiver.

After reading both the rcvr(page 51) and the dvd manuals(page20) am confused about I-Link.

The rcvr manual states "Do not switch on/off any components connected using I-Link when the rcvr is ON".

The dvd manual states "Do not switch off any components connected using I-Link while this player is ON".

What sequence do you shut off the rcvr/dvd without causing a problem? rcvr 1st then dvd OR dvd 1st then rcvr?

Since I never used I-Link maybe I am over-reacting and Pioneer means if you have MULTIPLE I-Link components connected you have to be careful.

TIA
post #838 of 3579 Old 09-29-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Since I never used I-Link maybe I am over-reacting and Pioneer means if you have MULTIPLE I-Link components connected you have to be careful.

Yeah, I think that's it. Their manuals suck. i.Link is designed so you can daisy-chain many components in series. Obviously, turning off one in the middle of the chain would cause a problem if you were trying to connect two at either end of the chain. I've never heard of anyone having problems with a Pioneer receiver and player. Power up the receiver and just power up the player when you want to use it -- exactly as you'd expect it to work.

Dennis H
post #839 of 3579 Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

You need an AC-3 RF Demodulator. They seem to run about $200 used on ebay.

Thnx for the response. I think I'll start replacing the LDs with DVDs.
post #840 of 3579 Old 09-29-2006, 07:51 PM

I'm trying to connect my HD DVR box (Provided by Cox Cable) to my Sony 60 A200 SXBR display. When I connect it via HDMI directly (DVR to Display) it works fine. When I attach the DVR with an HDMI cable to my reciever, and a HDMI cable to my display an error message appears on the display (generated from my DVR) that says my display is not HDCP compliant, and content does not work. Does my pioneer reciever have a defective HDMI out?

What I know:

My Display is HDCP compliant, and works just fine when hooked up to this DVR directly via HDMI.

If I connect the DVR to the reciever through HDMI, I can hear the sound through my speakers.

I can plug an HDMI cable into the HDMI out, and plug it into my display, and still hear sound through my speakers as long as the display is OFF.

As soon as I turn on the display, the sound ceases, and the error message stating that my display is not HDCP compliant, and it suggests I hook the DVR up with component cables (which I don't want to do).

(however, yes, I've tried hooking the DVR up using component through this receiver, and it works, but this solution is unacceptable.)

Please help?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page