Best Sounding Pre/Pros in Different Price Ranges (Mini Reviews and Discussion) - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4583 Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sizzou answered:
Yes, amps do matter much more than people realize. In ultimate sound quality you would not be giving up much by switching to a Proceed. What speakers do you run?

Sizzou
I have the AVP2+6 and the JM Lab Diva Utopia Be speakers . I am considering to buy the
AMP5 amp for my Music and HT system. What is your opinion of the AMP5 with my speakers.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4583 Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldo Rojas View Post

Sizzou answered:
Yes, amps do matter much more than people realize. In ultimate sound quality you would not be giving up much by switching to a Proceed. What speakers do you run?

Sizzou
I have the AVP2+6 and the JM Lab Diva Utopia Be speakers . I am considering to buy the
AMP5 amp for my Music and HT system. What is your opinion of the AMP5 with my speakers.

Thanks

I haven't heard them together I'm afraid.
post #993 of 4583 Old 02-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Sizzou:
Thanks for your reply.
Have your heard them with other(s) MC amp(s)?. If yes, I have these questions:

* Which one(s)? * This amp(s) will go with the AVP2?

Thanks
post #994 of 4583 Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard the JM Labs Diva's with the AMP5 but I did hear them with a Pass Labs X250...very nice. If you want to go with a five channel amp, I would think that the Pass Labs X5 would give great results.
post #995 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I can gladly and firmly confirm that the Cinenova Grande 5chl and the AVP2+6 work amazingly well together! Very natural, accurate, and transparent....extremely wide soundstaging, and depth perception.
post #996 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

I can gladly and firmly confirm that the Cinenova Grande 5chl and the AVP2+6 work amazingly well together! Very natural, accurate, and transparent....extremely wide soundstaging, and depth perception.

are you using bd or hd dvd? with the avp2+6, how are you setting up to get the new hd sound formats?

thanks
post #997 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

are you using bd or hd dvd? with the avp2+6, how are you setting up to get the new hd sound formats?

thanks

neither right now...I had the HD-A1 and quickly returned it after a few hours, and had the PS3 for a few weeks (now in my little brother's hand). I'm planning on buying a BR player sometime late this year, once they are more stable. I will be using an A/B switcher for the 6 analog inputs....who knows, I'll cross that road when i get there.

for now, I'm really enjoying this piece, and want to spend many hours before giving a more thourough review.

ps- you can use the 6 channel analog inputs on the AVP2+6 if that's what you were asking
post #998 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Thank you Zissou for all your efforts on this thread. Even though the Cary Cinema 6 did not rank as the best unit, it was on your list. So, I decided to invest in the Cary Cinema 11 because 85% of time I use my system for home theater and the Cinema 11 has all the latest features plus it is upgradeable for future Dolby formats like True HD. So far I am very pleased with the unit. The Cary unit is a very noticable improvement over my previous pre/pro.

Kono
post #999 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Just in case you missed this Z...

Is the Cal 2500 a pretty big step above the Proceed AMP5?
post #1000 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldear View Post

FYI: For anyone interested, another AVP+6 is up for sale at the 'Gon.

Yes, and it looks like the asking price is about a grand higher than the last one!

post #1001 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Yes, and it looks like the asking price is about a grand higher than the last one!

I replied with my offer within minutes of it posting...
post #1002 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

that's just ridiculous...I'm sorry! if you look at the history of the used prices for the avp2+6 over the past 2 years, its been hovering between $2300-$2700. To ask almost $1000 premium is just ridiculous.

but I guess that's the beauty of capitalism...when there is demand, you can ask for more!
post #1003 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
Once this thread cools down they'll be back at the $2000 range.
post #1004 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

that's just ridiculous...I'm sorry! if you look at the history of the used prices for the avp2+6 over the past 2 years, its been hovering between $2300-$2700. To ask almost $1000 premium is just ridiculous.

but I guess that's the beauty of capitalism...when there is demand, you can ask for more!

The seller had looked at the blue book value and it was a bit out of date. He seems like a really honest guy and I am sure he had no idea of the current rate at which these are going for.

I am just glad I was able to make the first offer on this. I have been keeping my eye out for one for a while...as you already know
post #1005 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple View Post

The seller had looked at the blue book value and it was a bit out of date. He seems like a really honest guy and I am sure he had no idea of the current rate at which these are going for.

I am just glad I was able to make the first offer on this. I have been keeping my eye out for one for a while...as you already know

hey Temple...I'm really happy you are first on the list .....but still, I think the seller obviously has seen the demand for this unit, particularly since this thread, and ergo the price.

However, if you can afford it, more power to ya! It is an outstanding piece, and one I can definitely vouch for!! Every passing minute I'm more in love with it......

....but man, OUCH, that price!
post #1006 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker View Post

Once this thread cools down they'll be back at the $2000 range.

Were they ever at he 2K range?
post #1007 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

See lower range of above post. We are talking about 4 year old pre/pro with limited connectivity. It may sound great but everyday that goes by it is getting older and eventually cheaper.
post #1008 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 PM

Sizzou:
What is your opinion of the Bel Canto eVo6 multiple Channel amplifier?
Thanks
post #1009 of 4583 Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 PM

I believe his name starts with a Z.
post #1010 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 AM

rbrb:

You are correct...Zissou.
Thanks
post #1011 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kono144 View Post

Thank you Zissou for all your efforts on this thread. Even though the Cary Cinema 6 did not rank as the best unit, it was on your list. So, I decided to invest in the Cary Cinema 11 because 85% of time I use my system for home theater and the Cinema 11 has all the latest features plus it is upgradeable for future Dolby formats like True HD. So far I am very pleased with the unit. The Cary unit is a very noticable improvement over my previous pre/pro.

I used to have Cary Cinema 6. It was really great for both music and HT. It was sonically better than my current Anthem AVM20 and all previous Denons. Cinema 11 should also be very good since, as you pointed out, they both are almost the same minus the video switching.
post #1012 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Where else can you get this quality of sound for around $3k?
Good luck on your bid.
kadiddle

Work is for people who don't know how to plunder!
post #1013 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ah, Mr. Kadiddle,
How goes the quest for test equipment, accoutrements, parameters and methodologies?
post #1014 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

If you go to the web site in the ad you will see that the seller is a dealer and not an individual. That may be the reason for the higher price, plus the fact that he can get it.

Chuck
post #1015 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Ah, Mr. Kadiddle,
How goes the quest for test equipment, accoutrements, parameters and methodologies?

Emaych,
I was about to send you a pm on this. Sorry for taking so long to follow up on this but my wife had shoulder surgery last week and I've been busy taking care of her. Plus she has been lounging in the family room where our HT is located so it was difficult to run any tests.
But I did manage to try a few things yesterday. As far as I can tell all seems to work just as it is supposed to. I did notice that when I make a change in the "Surround Defaults" menu that I have to back all the way out of the setup menu before the change takes hold. But at no time did I find a need to run test tones to get the sub engaged after changes. Also, I seem to have bass coming from speakers with the sub engaged, unlike your problem. At least I'm sure bass is coming from the mains. It may be that you have a problem with your unit. If you give me a specific test to run, I'll do it an report back.
best,
Kadiddle

post #1016 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for that, Kadiddle. It may be that my unit does not operate as it should, which was something I had hoped to discover with another owner testing. Maybe my best bet is to buy another one to test it and see if it performs as my current one does, since it is still a little hard to fathom a repeatable, consistant malfunction of this type where nothing else seems to be going awry.

My best test for you might be to turn on only the multichannel amp while a low bass Dolby Digital track loops -- all speakers set to full range except sub is NOT USED. Listen to the passage, then add the sub back in by menu and with the test tones, but never turn on the sub amp, just listen to the passage again through the multi speaker set. It is not to say there is NO bass -- there may even be quite some amount of it, just not like when sub NOT USED is selected.

I do have dual ten inch drivers in my mains and center, so that might be a factor, but I am thinking if I do feel tempted to send this one in, it will return exactly the same way, in which case I will have to resubmit, etc. I have been down that path before more than once -- not fun.

Maybe the only way to be sure is just buy another one -- that is not ideal either, of course.
post #1017 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Thank you for that, Kadiddle. It may be that my unit does not operate as it should, which was something I had hoped to discover with another owner testing. Maybe my best bet is to buy another one to test it and see if it performs as my current one does, since it is still a little hard to fathom a repeatable, consistant malfunction of this type where nothing else seems to be going awry.

My best test for you might be to turn on only the multichannel amp while a low bass Dolby Digital track loops -- all speakers set to full range except sub is NOT USED. Listen to the passage, then add the sub back in by menu and with the test tones, but never turn on the sub amp, just listen to the passage again through the multi speaker set. It is not to say there is NO bass -- there may even be quite some amount of it, just not like when sub NOT USED is selected.

I do have dual ten inch drivers in my mains and center, so that might be a factor, but I am thinking if I do feel tempted to send this one in, it will return exactly the same way, in which case I will have to resubmit, etc. I have been down that path before more than once -- not fun.

Maybe the only way to be sure is just buy another one -- that is not ideal either, of course.

Emaych,
I tried this test just as you described it. I could hear no audible difference in my speakers with the sub "NOT Used" or on "Low Pass". I had the sub amp turned off for this test. Main speakers are Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Concert Grands: http://sumikoaudio.net/va/idx_clsx.htm
Center is the Maestro Grand and surrounds are Waltz Grands.
The test DVD was "Open Range". I repeated one of the low rumbling thunder passes in the opening scene. This is a great movie btw, the opening scene is pure ear candy for surround and bass.
best regards,
Kadiddle

post #1018 of 4583 Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

OK Kadiddle, I guess that is pretty definitive as I am familiar with the scene. Thank you so much for your help in this -- of course the manual confirms that it should not be operating as it does for me, but am very glad it seems to be working for you and glad to have you as a willing resource to use on this.

I'll call the Harmon number and see what this little complication might set me back -- was kindof looking forward to not having to consider that, but oh well, I seem to be fairly unlucky with pre-pros lately.
post #1019 of 4583 Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:

OK Kadiddle, I guess that is pretty definitive as I am familiar with the scene. Thank you so much for your help in this -- of course the manual confirms that it should not be operating as it does for me, but am very glad it seems to be working for you and glad to have you as a willing resource to use on this.

I'll call the Harmon number and see what this little complication might set me back -- was kindof looking forward to not having to consider that, but oh well, I seem to be fairly unlucky with pre-pros lately.

Be sure to let us know the outcome.
best regards,
kadiddle

post #1020 of 4583 Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

The Sunfire was a surprise it was cheap and I had low expectations from it. It is not reference quality and is coloured and lacking detail. It is not in the same class as the CAL, Theta or AMP5. That being said if it's just for home theater and you are on a budget and have inefficient speakers it would suffice. It is not good for music.

I thought earlier you said you were pleasantly surprised with this amp and liked it, unlike their pre/pro. So you find it acceptable for HT but not at all for music?
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page