Best Sounding Pre/Pros in Different Price Ranges (Mini Reviews and Discussion) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4583 Old 11-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just about to say/ask the same thing. Is this pre/pro really that good? Has nothing else come down the road in the last 3 or 4 years to "replace" it or improve upon it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4583 Old 11-22-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
somewhere i read news a while back that 2 madrigal designers who designed ML No. 40 and procceed joined classe

earlier pre pro was good for movies but not so for music. avp2 is the one that can do both well. nowadays the scenario may have changed.

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #183 of 4583 Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 PM

I'm a poor man and only "wish" I could plug and play like some or most of you guys..

I have a B+K ref30 which sounds ok, but have had other products over the years as well.

I'm not someone who wants to shell out 2k + and have no support for it if it breaks.

I've seen on this or another forum that B + K is coming out with a new SSP with HDMI soon?

I also looked up the Aragon Stage One after it was highly recommended here, but that ALSO is being discontinued. I'd love to see just "current production" models being reviewed here.

I've spend THOUSANDS that I didn't really have over the years on Hi-Fi stuff, and even though I have Tinnitus in one ear, I still won't give up the "quest" for perfect ( to me ) HT.

I'm also looking/considering a multi-amp change also. I have a Mac, but looking at Cineova Grande 5. I guess I got it bad..............Help me Lord.

But I certainly do appreciate someone like Zissou that has an unlimited budget to review all these products. I wonder if he's my long lost rich uncle or something? LOL
post #184 of 4583 Old 11-23-2006, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante743 View Post

I was just about to say/ask the same thing. Is this pre/pro really that good? Has nothing else come down the road in the last 3 or 4 years to "replace" it or improve upon it?

Not out of the ones I've used and remember music is my priority.
post #185 of 4583 Old 11-23-2006, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

I'm a poor man and only "wish" I could plug and play like some or most of you guys..

I have a B+K ref30 which sounds ok, but have had other products over the years as well.

I'm not someone who wants to shell out 2k + and have no support for it if it breaks.

I've seen on this or another forum that B + K is coming out with a new SSP with HDMI soon?

I also looked up the Aragon Stage One after it was highly recommended here, but that ALSO is being discontinued. I'd love to see just "current production" models being reviewed here.

I've spend THOUSANDS that I didn't really have over the years on Hi-Fi stuff, and even though I have Tinnitus in one ear, I still won't give up the "quest" for perfect ( to me ) HT.

I'm also looking/considering a multi-amp change also. I have a Mac, but looking at Cineova Grande 5. I guess I got it bad..............Help me Lord.

But I certainly do appreciate someone like Zissou that has an unlimited budget to review all these products. I wonder if he's my long lost rich uncle or something? LOL

The Proceed and the Aragon are both fully supported. Proceed support at Harman is terrific.
post #186 of 4583 Old 11-23-2006, 10:20 PM

Well Zissou, I finally made a decision and plunked the money down for an AVP2. Hopefully, I'll get it in the next week or so. I'll post my impressions after a good listen.

Bill
post #187 of 4583 Old 11-24-2006, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralman View Post

Well Zissou, I finally made a decision and plunked the money down for an AVP2. Hopefully, I'll get it in the next week or so. I'll post my impressions after a good listen.

Bill

Nice decision Bill! Please do let us know what YOU think.
post #188 of 4583 Old 11-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Zissou - great thread! After reading this thread I bought a Cary 6 and will post my impressions shortly.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #189 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Everyone has to remember that the OP's preference is for music. Something great for music is not necessarily good for home theater and especially vice versa. I think he is looking for something that is spectacular with music and great with movies. I personally think there are better pre/pros out there for theater only than the avp2 but not much for music. Not all do both really well and the avp2 does. I am looking for a great theater processor and not a musical one. I tried many as well and to me the Sunfire was just ok for theater. It is all subjective. These are his tastes. A warm sounding piece will not be liked by people that prefer flat, etc.... My reference processor is the meridian 861.
post #190 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Everyone has to remember that the OP's preference is for music. Something great for music is not necessarily good for home theater and especially vice versa. I think he is looking for something that is spectacular with music and great with movies. I personally think there are better pre/pros out there for theater only than the avp2 but not much for music. Not all do both really well and the avp2 does. I am looking for a great theater processor and not a musical one. I tried many as well and to me the Sunfire was just ok for theater. It is all subjective. These are his tastes. A warm sounding piece will not be liked by people that prefer flat, etc.... My reference processor is the meridian 861.

Just picked up a Meridian 861 v.3. I disagree one of your points, that being that if it sounds good for music, accurate, detailed and truthful, then it will sound better than a non musical processor for movies as well. You are right that the AVP2 is one of the very few to get both so damned good.
post #191 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How is the Meridian? I tried the sunifre for theater and I felt it covered up some of the highs, muffled them, they were there, but way in the background. Now the Sunfire is considered warm, no?
post #192 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is the Meridian? I tried the sunifre for theater and I felt it covered up some of the highs, muffled them, they were there, but way in the background. Now the Sunfire is considered warm, no?

Not sure I just got it in today. The Sunfire pre was wholly unacceptbale for me yet the amp was quite good.
post #193 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We agree on the Sunfire. It actually gave me a headache. Once you give your impression of the Meridian and know where we stand from there. I loved the Meridian's sound. If you don't then I know the proceed may not be for me. If you love it but still feel the proceed is better, then I might have to give it a try. I like clarity, detail, dynamics, and as real as it gets.
post #194 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We agree on the Sunfire. It actually gave me a headache. Once you give your impression of the Meridian and know where we stand from there. I loved the Meridian's sound. If you don't then I know the proceed may not be for me. If you love it but still feel the proceed is better, then I might have to give it a try. I like clarity, detail, dynamics, and as real as it gets.

Our preferences are aligned.
post #195 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
post #196 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 PM

Hi gang, I think possible in worse shape since Ive reade the thread (twice) than before I started

4years ago while I built my new house, my then 9yr. processor was put in mothballs. correct me if I'mm wromg, but isn't a pre/pro designed for mixing movie soundtracks and secondly to switch your souce audio gear to the amps & speakers without any type of proccessing. You can just imagine what the one I own now would match up to what's out htere now.

Million
Dollar Question- with 75/25 ratio (Movies to stereo) can we at least get it down to 3?

POWER- PARRASOUND HCA2200 (MAINS) (2) HCA 1000 (SURROUNDS
S

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
post #197 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Kind of messed that up- sorry about that.
Lastly i"m using Chapmant-7s speakers

The HT room is just about done with the framing, so my pre/pro needs to put somewhere in this layout.
BTW, one of the better threads I ve read to date, hope it keeps going
TIA

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
post #198 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 06:52 PM

The AVP2 seems to use Balanced Outs for the LCR, but unbalanced for the Rears. that seems odd to me as I listen to a lot of 5.1 music.

Why didn't they go Balanced all the way around? Is the AVP2 a top condender for us 5.1 music listeners?

Thanks,
Darrell
post #199 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 PM

Zisso.
What is your opinion: a good combo for my Jm Lab DIVA Utopia speakers could be or should be the Pre- Proceed AVP2 and the Krell Tas amplifier.
Any ideas about a good CD player.
post #200 of 4583 Old 11-29-2006, 09:03 PM

Zissou:
Or my Jm Lab DIVA Utopia with the Bel Canto and the Krell Tas.
Ani ideas about a CD player and Cable speakers?
Thanks
Oswald
post #201 of 4583 Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Zissou:

Did you say you ordered the Cary Cinema 11? If so I look forward to your comments.

Also, do you know if it is possible to add DPLIIx to the AVP2 - by that I mean does it have the processing capacity and does Harman have any intentions to do that?

"The truth is out there!"
post #202 of 4583 Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Hey D, I would imagine that the AVP2 does have the processing power to handle DPLIIx since it was upgraded with the same digital engine/DSP (4xADSP21065) as the original Lex MC12/8s. In fact, one of the features that was discussed early in the AVP2's development was going to be the addition of Logic-7 before things broke down.

The only problem would seem to be getting someone from HSG to devote resources and time to writing the code/software for such an upgrade...which they told me early-on they had no intention of doing with a discontinued item. I've wondered about this with my older, upgraded Aragon Soundstage (7.1) that is using the same digital/DSP platforms as those from Bel Canto and Sim Audio who have since offered the DPLIIx upgrade on their most recent SSPs. I wish there were some current/former engineers willing to take a stab at this.

Chris B
post #203 of 4583 Old 11-30-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont know how some can come to the conclusion that one piece of gear will be better than the other and claim it as fact.. Depending on speakers and other factors one piece might sound better than the other in their particular system, but for someone else with different speakers and other gear they might come to a totally different conclusion..
post #204 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

I 've listened to the likes of the Arcam AVP700 and was not very impressed to be honest.
any other recommendations?

Have you auditioned the Arcam AV8 or AV9?
post #205 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post

Have you auditioned the Arcam AV8 or AV9?

Yes I had the AV8, it was a nice piece but a rung below the top units.
post #206 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

I dont know how some can come to the conclusion that one piece of gear will be better than the other and claim it as fact.. Depending on speakers and other factors one piece might sound better than the other in their particular system, but for someone else with different speakers and other gear they might come to a totally different conclusion..

When you have a very neutral room and highly resolving speakers with the only change being the pre/pro then you can easily hear the colourations, additions and subtractions from neutrality. You can then give a factual accounting of the sound. One should not choose a preamp to "fix" the sound of their system, that is don't buy a warm pre because your system is too cool or sterile. Fix the rest of your system first.
post #207 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldo Rojas View Post

Zissou:
Or my Jm Lab DIVA Utopia with the Bel Canto and the Krell Tas.
Ani ideas about a CD player and Cable speakers?
Thanks
Oswald

If a cable sounds "different" from any good 12 gauge cable then it is acting as a tone control and is not what you want in your system. Working years in the business taught me one thing and that was the ridiculous margins on magic cables keep a lot of stores in business.
While I have a CD3mk2 I very rarely use it nowadays as the best source I've heard and what I tend to use is my computer with an RME card, Foobar, the Secret Rabbit Code upsampler if I choose, Plextor drive and wav files from the hard drive. When the wavs are ripped properly with EAC there is less jitter and TO ME it is the best source, other than vinyl, that I have heard.
SRC is as as good at upsampling as the dCS gear I had and allows for tweakability. If upsampling I prefer synchronous to asynchronous. I also use master tapes that I recorded of various classical ensembles done at 24/96 with extremely high quality gear. I usually run at native sample rate and word length but I do also have copies dithered with noise shaping to Redbook standard.
post #208 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Zissou,

it's been a little while now, what are your impressions of the C2? I have heard nothing but good things about this piece and from reading the thread, I trust your judgement and would love to hear your input on this item.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #209 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

Zissou,

it's been a little while now, what are your impressions of the C2? I have heard nothing but good things about this piece and from reading the thread, I trust your judgement and would love to hear your input on this item.

It's a decent piece that doesn't do anything glaringly wrong yet it doesn't have that elusive "it" factor that certain other pre/pros do. That fleshing out of the performers and the ability to hear far back into the soundstage.
post #210 of 4583 Old 12-01-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

When you have a very neutral room and highly resolving speakers with the only change being the pre/pro then you can easily hear the colourations, additions and subtractions from neutrality. You can then give a factual accounting of the sound. One should not choose a preamp to "fix" the sound of their system, that is don't buy a warm pre because your system is too cool or sterile. Fix the rest of your system first.

I hear what your saying but think theirs just to many variables when you say the only switch being the pre. Maybe your amp is just not detailed enough and the pre brought out more details. Is that really a good? Theirs just to many variables. Speakers being the biggest. If you have very revealing speakers do you really want any amp or pre to have "detail" ? That should be all in the speakers. For me i dont want any sort of influence that i can say the gear is causing it to be detailed. Very low distortion to me means the gear dont add anything into the equation.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page