The "Official" Denon AVR-4806CI Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 469 Old 08-06-2006, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought a Denon 4806ci and thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread specific to this upgraded 4806 model that Denon calls 4806ci. The receiver is still in its box and am waiting for the time and opportunity to open it and hook it up. One of these days..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 469 Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just hooked mine up today. It makes me feel like a noob. So bloody complex with all it can do. I have some replacement speakers coming tomorrow so I have not run the Auto setup yet. I am just trying to figure out how to consistently have it select the right audio and video imputs for any given imput selection.

I am not entirely sure I like the remote. While it covers all the bases, it seems somewhat cumbersome to navigate. I will have to play with the 3 assignable user controls and macros, but I just don't know.

This thing runs hot. I mean I am barely using it and it puts out the heat. I hate to feel it when I am runing my full setup in serious movie mode.

I will try to have some opinions as far as sound and video quality soon by the weekend.

Ruin
post #3 of 469 Old 08-08-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had it about a month. It gets easier as you get familiar with it. remote is good. I also have a harmony 880 still use the receiver remote. It is a great amp and is warm. but I had a PE49txi in my system talk about hot but never a problem. You will discover something new and amazing every day with the 4806CI. Love it great versatility and power and sound. I do not see why some guys use it as a pre pro and add other amps. The EQ is great once you get the hang of it. HDMI video and audio is also terrific when you understand how to set everything. both ov you enjoy I know I am.

post #4 of 469 Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

so I finally dismantled my Yamaha RX-V2095 from my home theatre system and went to my garage with pair of scissors and opened the 4806CI box. Even though the box seemed brand new from the outside, I found that inside the remote was floating around outside of its pouch and the contents have been tampered with. However I must say that the receiver did look brand new and even smelled new. My guess and again, someone can chime in here, since Denon penalizes distributors who bypass the traditional authorized B&M network [$1800 cost to customer] the network who made this receiver available on the internet at a reduced cost made sure that there were no identification marks. either this or they made sure that the receiver is NOT DOA since if it was, then I as a customer would inevitably contact Denon and then there is a chance that they be identified. You can take a guess where I bought my receiver from. Yep.. thats a good guess.

All these concerns aside, the receiver was still in its wrap with all the packing material intact and was in a brand new condition. I connected it with just looking at the manual one or two pages as I did not have the time. There was no sound at first.. I knew it was the settings.. I read the manual again, found that the optical connectors need to be configured. After configuring, I could hear the music..

I think there are clear differences between the Yamaha and the Denon..
The sound seems much more powerful.. and firm. Is it the Toroidal transformer and the fine internal circuitry and components or is it my $$ writing here? I wonder.

I removed the DVI connection from my Oppo DVD player and put a HDMI addapter to this and connected it to the HDMI out of my receiver. Presto, I could now access settings on my TV. Then I connected the Oppo with a DVI-HDMI cable to the Denon's 1st HDMI port. I could now see picture but the music was gone.. Again, some settings to blame [I think]

I am still figuring out the setup, it is quite complicated.. especially the video part..
I know I need to spend many hours figuring this out so I will be patient. I am glad though, with this new receiver and think its well worth $2500 I paid for it.
post #5 of 469 Old 08-11-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

You really need to spend the time and not set it on the fly. everything needs to be assinged HDMI, Component, Etc. You are right about the sound. I have had Two Yamahas in the past the DSP-1 and the RXV-1 both great receivers but very weakj soundinbg compared to the Dennon and my last receiver The PE 49txi which had very strong dynamic sound. The Dennon beats that. I love this receiver have fun.

post #6 of 469 Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Have you used the ethernet port on this receiver? I heard it allows for Internet radio but dont know how to set it all up. I also heard that you can get into the receiver settings from a computer if you can hook this reciever to a your router. THat would be nice..
post #7 of 469 Old 08-12-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

Have you used the ethernet port on this receiver? I heard it allows for Internet radio but dont know how to set it all up. I also heard that you can get into the receiver settings from a computer if you can hook this reciever to a your router. THat would be nice..

OK some more progress here..

I modded my wRT54GL using DD-WRT firmware and made it a ethernet bridge and placed it near my Denon 4806 and connected it. i also enabled the mac address and renewed the DHCP and presto.. I could access Denon settings through an ordinarly browser. The user interface is simple but this lends itself to a lot of possibilities. I also downloaded for free Windows Media connect and went through the process of identifying the Denon and allowing people to use my music folder..

I read the help file on Windows Media connect and the last step in piping music was "In your living room, use your DMR remote control to select the songs, artists, or albums that you want to listen to, and then press Play.
Windows Media Connect begins streaming the selected music to the DMR in your living room.
"
I am looking at the Receiver remote and there isnt anywhere a button or function that allows me to listen to the music in the share folder. Any pointers?

Also, a problem I seem to be having is when I access the settings of the Denon via a browser and click on Netaudio.. the page seems to refresh every half a second.. anyone know why and how I can fix this?

thanks in advance.
post #8 of 469 Old 08-12-2006, 07:06 PM

Silly as this is, have you read the section about this in the user manual? The section there shows what buttons to use on the remote. Remember that AUX is assigned to the the Net port on this AVR. You have to make sure that the Windows Connect server is running before anything will work. Follow the directions in the manual. Of course, until one of us actually gets this to work we have to confirmation that it actually does work.

I have not yet used this feature as I haven't decided if I am going to try tying into my wireless network, or maybe run over the powerlines down to it.
Ruin
post #9 of 469 Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Now i have another problem..
I tried to access the webpage with the settings and it would give me an error.. so I renewed the IP and I completely lost the IP. Later on, after power recycling most of the components [router, bridge, receiver etc] it did come up.. but the MAC address is now showing 0.0.0.0 .. this receiver is quite complex.

There was a yellow light on the linksys wrt54gl.. I clicked on it and the mac address seems to be visible now in my router [under connections]. My denon is back on the network.. phew..

Still need to figure out how to pipe music into the receiver from my PC.

i am totally amazed at how configurable this receiver is..

I am here in my bedroom. hey.. the volume too high coming from the living room? I can go to the browser and reduce the volume.. sneaky eh?

A really nice feature is that you can set a max volume for the receiver.. since this one has balls the size of an elephant's (I mean power) this comes in very handy since you dont want to have your speakers shot because you inadvertantly cranked up the volume

My NHT 1.4s are really coming alive now.. so is my VS2A.. a great match
post #10 of 469 Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 AM

So I finally got around to trying the Windows Connect thing.
Windows connect sees the 4806CI, and is set to "allow" it. Music folders are shared. However on the AVR end, it doesn't list the computer that is the music server. All Windows connect ports are open.
Anyone successfull in this so far?

Ruin

Ok, so I figured out my issue. I had to use port forwarding in my router to forward the packets to my music server. Now it all works. Looks like I am going to need a better connection to the downstairs though as I can't hold a steady stream. Bah. But at least now I know that both the music serving and the internet radio work.

Honestly though, who the heck wants to listen to internet radio through a 4806CI?
I mean seriously. What with the poor quality, low bitrate streams out there it is like listening to a $10 radio. The music streaming is nice though if you have either lossless or at least high quality/high bitrate MP3s. I must say though that through the 4806 256bit high quality rips no longer sound as close to the CD as they used to. I think WM9 lossless is gonna be the way to go.

Cheers

Ruin
post #11 of 469 Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday, I had the receiver set to my Cable/DBS service and my TV was on..
I turned on my Dyson vacuum cleaner to clean my carpet.. the receiver went through a cycle of clicks and turned itself on. I thought there was a problem.. so I turned the vacuum off and when I turned the vacuum back on the receiver would again cycle.. while it is cycling, no sound would be heard.. the cycling time is about 4-6 seconds..

I have a Monster stabilizer and current filter [the $300 one.. forget the model] but it doesnt seem to be able to stop the receiver frmo cycling..

Its probably that my house is not able to supply enough power [or voltage or current..???] to both the receiver and the vacuum during the time the vacuum is starting [max current req?]
post #12 of 469 Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 PM

I'm thinking of getting this one. Upgrading from a HK 635.

Issues:

1) They chose effectively to lock you into WMV only audio. Other than the Web Browser support (which IS cool) the ethernet capability is stunted. If they could do a control interface via a small built in web server why couldn't they just allow you to "send" it a directory of mp3's. Then I could use my Mac. They support the iPod through a dock, but why, if they are licensing it, why not just do a wired only version of the Airport Express, which fully supports Mac's AND Windows and iTunes itself. MP3's as well as AAC lossless. Just a thought, don't crucify me for it. i guess I could install WinslowXP on an intel Mac but I really don't want to throw that anchor out there.

2) Anybody know if it's going to support the new Hi Def audio surround modes. Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, Dolby Digital Plus... or will it be a 'upgrade'?

Driver
post #13 of 469 Old 08-26-2006, 06:10 AM

You are not locked into WM audio, it playes MP3s just fine. You ARE however tied to Window. Using Windows Media Connect the 4806CI sees all my MP3s and I can browse them by Artist, Album, etc.

It is not that elegant an interface or anything, but it functions. I agree that more formats could have been supported on something this expensive. I was dissapointed as hell that while it will play compressed WMA it won't play lossless WMA. Sheesh, you would think that Denon might consider that purchasers of this class of receiver might rip CDs using lossless codecs. I suppose I shall have to settle for high quality 320bit MP3s.

Why did they even bother with the Internet Radio thing? Who the heck is gonna listen to Internet Radio on a system with this receiver at the heart of it? It would make me cringe and cry to hear such crappy compressed material played on my main system.

Ruin
post #14 of 469 Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Sorry, should have said Windows Media instead of WMV. My bad there. Still, it locks you into one computer manufacturers platform. A bad thing for the other 15%+ of users out using either OSX or Linux variants. I don't think it's internet radio, it's Satellite radio, which also is one of those scratch your head items. I'd be more likely to rip and hook an iPod into it or plug the TosLink output from the Airport Express into it to stream files using theApple Lossless Codec from my Mac. The thing is it requires yet ANOTHER device, another set of cables. I want to simplify, not make things worse.

The solution? It could of been such a nicer implementation if they'd just supported our home networks as a UPnP device. One ethernet connection, done and it'd work across multiple platforms. It's not like they don't know about it. They are a member of the UIC. See here: http://www.upnp-ic.org/about/members.asp (D&M Holdings). Kind of leaves me puzzled they'd do so little when it could be so sschweeet!

Driver
post #15 of 469 Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 AM

I agree that it would be nice. Being locked into WM Connect is sort of a pain. I have a NAS device with all my music in it, and it would be nice if I could just feed directly off of that, but instead I have to channel it through one of our computers. I suppose I need to see if any NAS has built in Windows Connect (sort of doubt it, but maybe). If not, I might make a small box computer out of spare parts just to run Windows Connect, LOL.

As far as Internet Radio, it does in fact have that. Yes, it has XM satellite radio "readiness", but the Internet Radio function is there. It downloads a list of internet radio stations from some web site and you can "tune" them in. Complete waste of time/effort as far as I am concerned. I can clearly hear the limitations of 256bit MP3s now that I have my new system (gonna rerip at very high quality and 320bits to see if that helps) let alone the compressed garbage over the net.

Ruin
post #16 of 469 Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 PM

I just talked to Denon about support for the BluRay and HD-DVD surround modes (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, Dolby Digital Plus...). Vera took my name and number and said it could be about 24hrs before someone would return my call. 30 minutes on hold listening to Muzak just to be told they'd call me back. Not about to shell out 4K today if this new model doesn't support current shipping media.

23:56:23 and counting...

Driver
post #17 of 469 Old 08-28-2006, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
guys....I need some honest opinions....I know most you guys own a 4806CI, but give it to me straight...

if you had $3K to spend, which would you do:

1) buy a 4806 at cost (approx $2500) and spend the $500 for the upgrade to make it like the CI....(I have a friend who works at the local dealer that can get me one for this price).

OR

2) Buy separates: A Cinenova 5 channel amp ($2200 on sale) and use something like the Pio Elite 84 or the upcoming Yamaha RX-V2700 as a Pre/Pro?

I keep going back and forth on this issue...
post #18 of 469 Old 08-28-2006, 03:31 PM

My problem with going seperates was that as of a month ago none of them had all the capabilities that the4806CI has. That may have changed in the intervening timeframe.

I paid way under MSRP for mine so it was worth it to me to just get it rather than mess with buying a 4806 and then spending $500 on the upgrade.

Overall I am pretty pleased with my purchase. It is so much of an upgrade for me that I don't really feel I am missing out on anything by now going seperates. I mean after all, I am getting 5 seperate amps inside the AVR chasis running my 5 speakers with the sub being self-amped, so it is almost like having seperates.

Heck, I don't even have my new DVD player yet, but using the DACs in the 4806CI rather than those in my Sony DVD player makes it sound like a high end player.

I think you will be pleased, but if you are a seperates purist go that way. Once you are at this level of Denon product you are starting to approach the performance of seperates in the same price range IMO.

Ruin
post #19 of 469 Old 09-02-2006, 02:51 PM

So, IMO the 4806CI + Windows Media Connect is not ready for prime time.
The net radio part is fine, but accessing music file via WMC is erratic at best. I have to cycle the AVR completely off (not just standby off) and back on to get it to see the music server. Sometimes even doing that does not work. Also, though I have a good high speed connection, and any net radio will stream with no interuptions, streaming via WMC drops out for a few seconds every couple of minutes and then picks back up. Most annoying. It is a shame really, as being able to access the 1000 CDs that I have ripped in high bitrate MP3 format was a real settling point for me. It is the reason I waiting to get the CI rather than purchasing the "plain" 4806.

Ruin
post #20 of 469 Old 09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I haven't had any problems connecting to the music server portion on my PC, but what bugs me is that you can't use that audio stream in Zone 2. To me, that totally sucks because you don't have full functionality between Zone 1 and Zone 2. Am I missing something here? One of the reasons I wanted this receiver was to be able to use the music function in Zone 2 by accessing a media server. My Zone 2 is the speakers around the pool.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #21 of 469 Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
so not to keep mentioning price as a factor, but unfortunately for me, it is, since I spent a bundle on a separate 5ch amp.....anyways:

I keep going back and forth between the 4806 and the 4306.....I can get the former for about $500 more than the 4306, and tack another $500 for the upgrade.....Is the $1k worth it? I'm not really worried about the power, but rather the "sound", since the 4306 is missing some features like THX post-processing, independent DTS/DD chips, etc.

any feedback is appreciated
post #22 of 469 Old 09-03-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to add my two cents. I have had many receivers and separates in my life. I got the 4806ci a couple of monthe ago am not into the web audio or satalite radio yet but have a tosh 65" rear project in my system a Front LCD HD projector. A HD-DVD, a Blu-ray, and a Pio elite 59avi dvd amongst other things. I am still learning the receiver. It is without a doubt the best sounding, and most flexable unit I have ever had. I think the power is awesome, the flexability is awesome and the upscallig is awesome. I would highly reccoment it. I just sold a PE49TXI which I loved, I thought nothing would out perform its audio. I was wrong. I had a dennon 5600 a few years ago and gave it up with no DTS. Bought a EAD pre pro and Parasound 200Watt per ch 5.1 amp. I think the PE49 and Dennon beat that out. Go for the 4806CI. Also I have been on the phone with Dennon twice and got through quickly and to their techs who were very helpful. Always had great response from them. Pioneer and Yamaha also great CS.

post #23 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 02:10 AM

I am going to purchase the 4806ci, where is the best place to buy one in regards to price on the internet?
post #24 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Todd View Post

I am going to purchase the 4806ci, where is the best place to buy one in regards to price on the internet?

Don't know about which "etailer" is best, but check out the authorized "etailers" list on the Denon web-site: Buy Denon On-line

Most folks here do NOT recommend buying from a "non" authorized dealer!
post #25 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I received mine from and authorized dealer at a great price in my home state had to go there though not available on line.

post #26 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiListener View Post

Don't know about which "etailer" is best, but check out the authorized "etailers" list on the Denon web-site: Buy Denon On-line

Most folks here do NOT recommend buying from a "non" authorized dealer!

Most folks do not recommend bypassing the "authorized" distributor because they paid $4000 for a receiver that could very well be had at around $2500. Naturally they want to feel good that it it was the right decision NOT to take that risk (warranty) in case something should go wrong. And they will try to convince you not to take that risk because they havent taken it themselves.. and then they might even tell you of John Sucker who bought the unit from an unauthorized dealer and got shafted when he found out something went wrong and Denon wouldnt fix it. I am glad they feel that way, because it gives people like myself and the other bargain hunters an opportunity to buy the same item at a 40% discount. I paid around that much for a CI and have no regrets. Have I taken a risk? absolutely.. is it worth the risk.. for me it was because I did my due dliigence work and things did NOT go wrong [yet, knock on wood]. For some it may not be worth the risk because they might not be able to take adequate steps to protect themselves from being ripped off (say, someone sending a box of bricks instead of receiver etc etc).

I refuse to abide by Denon philosophy of sticking it to the customer by setting MSRP prices accross the board and forcing you to buy it from "authorized" dealers or else no warranty threat. I have even emailed Denon about this but received the standard canned response.

So what is the right decision? Buying from an authorized dealer and have your hands held and lectured about the glory features of this recevier or buy it at $2500 wiithout all that hand holding and no support? Really your call. There isnt a right decision.. You get rewarded or penalized depending on the risk you take.

I also noticed that auth. dealers are discounting the 4806 quite a bit (I think tweeters had it for around $2600 or so recently) but they are NOT discounting the 4806CI yet.

They have become good at tapping the consumer surplus.
post #27 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

Most folks do not recommend because they paid $4000 for a receiver that could very well be had at around $2500. Naturally they want to feel good that it it was the right decision NOT to take that risk (warranty) in case something should go wrong. And they will try to convince you not to take that risk because they havent taken it themselves.. and then they might even tell you of John Sucker who bought the unit from an unauthorized dealer and got shafted when he found out something went wrong and Denon wouldnt fix it. I am glad they feel that way, because it gives people like myself and the other bargain hunters an opportunity to buy the same item at a 40% discount. I paid around that much for a CI and have no regrets. Have I taken a risk? absolutely.. is it worth the risk.. for me it was because I did my due dliigence work and things did NOT go wrong [yet, knock on wood]. For some it may not be worth the risk because they might not be able to take adequate steps to protect themselves from being ripped off (say, someone sending a box of bricks instead of receiver etc etc).

I refuse to abide by Denon philosophy of sticking it to the customer by setting MSRP prices accross the board and forcing you to buy it from "authorized" dealers or else no warranty threat. I have even emailed Denon about this but received the standard canned response.

So what is the right decision? Buying from an authorized dealer and have your hands held and lectured about the glory features of this recevier or buy it at $2500 wiithout all that hand holding and no support? Really your call. There isnt a right decision.. You get rewarded or penalized depending on the risk you take.

I also noticed that auth. dealers are discounting the 4806 quite a bit (I think tweeters had it for around $2600 or so recently) but they are NOT discounting the 4806CI yet.

They have become good at tapping the consumer surplus.

Rman you make some very valid points. The proponents of "buy authorized" have good points too. Carpe diem! It truly is a pro/con excerise for each buyer. I found my 4806 at a ridiculous discount from my authorized reseller! Much less than the Tweeter price.

I AGREE strongly with those, such as yourself, that point out the hypocrisy of companies such as Denon that punish the buyer and NOT the seller!
post #28 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post

I just talked to Denon about support for the BluRay and HD-DVD surround modes (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, Dolby Digital Plus...). Vera took my name and number and said it could be about 24hrs before someone would return my call. 30 minutes on hold listening to Muzak just to be told they'd call me back. Not about to shell out 4K today if this new model doesn't support current shipping media.

23:56:23 and counting...

So here it is over a week later. I tried again to get through a few days after my first post. Yet another message left. Nothing. Nada Zilch. No return phone calls, no answers, just the sound of chirping crickets. Is this typical of Denon support? Is it non-existent?

Driver
post #29 of 469 Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post

So here it is over a week later. I tried again to get through a few days after my first post. Yet another message left. Nothing. Nada Zilch. No return phone calls, no answers, just the sound of chirping crickets. Is this typical of Denon support? Is it non-existent?

It's not HDMI 1.3, so no it doesn't support decoding them.
post #30 of 469 Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 AM

But is it going to be a simple software upgrade or a full on motherboard swap? Depending on which I could buy one this week or just wait 4 months for them to get it together. I'd be awfully ticked to buy one now and them quietly fix it a few months down the road and charge early adopters another $500-1K to "upgrade". It's a simple question. I haven't even asked it yet and cannot get someone to answer a friggin phone call.

Driver
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors