The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 05:19 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoholic View Post

The 2700 has an internal electronic 6 or 8 ohm setting. My old rx-v1 has an external 4/8 switch.
I'm not sure which sounds better as i am running a set of polk LSI's which are 4 ohm.
The protection circuit seems to trip more on the 2700 at 6 ohms.

I've read from past experiences these newer Yamaha's work best when set @8ohm's for all types of speakers. I understand 4ohm speakers will cause shut-downs when set @6ohms.

Quote:

I am still demo'ing the new 2700 vs an older flagship rx-v1.

I'm very curious to hear your objective results, as I think these new-generation (non THX certified) Yamaha's can compete with some of these (THX-Ultra2, whatever, blah-blah, blah) certified flagship AVR's.

Quote:

I passed my video thru just to see and quickly went back to my thinking. Video to the TV sound to the reciever.

actually, I believe it is more of an advantage to go thru receiver.

ChrisCollins's Avatar ChrisCollins 06:15 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

for many reasons, one of which is for switching from device-to-device. Also, depending on your HDTV's built-in features (ie. up-scaling or no up-scaling, etc.,..) you can take advantage of the Yamaha's video processing capabilities for enhancement, etc.,...

Just wondering, what is the benefit of switching devices through the receiver?
epiney's Avatar epiney 07:02 PM 10-12-2006
My 2700 just arrived. Will set it up on the weekend. Can someone point me to a well priced wireless access point that I can use to connect it to my home WiFi?

I was really looking for a good deal on a 2600, but they gave me a good price on the 2700. It was almost $200 less than Soundpros for an authorized dealer. It was a weak moment and I couldn't resist.
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 07:23 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

Just wondering, what is the benefit of switching devices through the receiver?

convenience, as well as taking advantage of receiver's video up-scaling/de-interlacing capabilities, especially if you have older devices (ie. VCR, DVD player, etc.,...). Why not?
ChrisCollins's Avatar ChrisCollins 07:32 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:

convenience, as well as taking advantage of receiver's video up-scaling/de-interlacing capabilities, especially if you have older devices (ie. VCR, DVD player, etc.,...). Why not?

I have only ever used the audio side of a receiver, so I am not being a wise ass here. I just dont have any knowlege. How is it convenient to switch everything through receiver? I understand the older device issue, but if you have all newer equip., isnt it just slightly degrading the video path? I dont understand what is so convenient. If I need to switch devices, I just use my universal remote. Does the receiver do something to switch devices/components that I am unaware of
MarkH's Avatar MarkH 09:18 PM 10-12-2006
Anybody help with this one?
In the past (with 2600 and 2500 before that) I was inputting the discrete IR codes using a combo of Yamaha's RAV software to input the HEX code off the pdf, which gave me the code to copy/paste over to the Pronto software. The HEX codes always came with 4 digits - 2 custom code digita and 2 data code digits. However some of the USB/Net features of the 2700 feature HEX codes with a total of 6 digits (4 of which are the custom code - 7F01). Problem is the RAV software only gives you the ability to key in a total of 4 digits. So anybody any idea how I get these codes into ProntoEdit?
DaveThomas's Avatar DaveThomas 09:55 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiney View Post

My 2700 just arrived. Will set it up on the weekend. Can someone point me to a well priced wireless access point that I can use to connect it to my home WiFi?
I was really looking for a good deal on a 2600, but they gave me a good price on the 2700. It was almost $200 less than Soundpros for an authorized dealer. It was a weak moment and I couldn't resist.

Would you comment on the heat generated by the 2700? I have had older Yamaha receivers that did not generate much heat but I have heard the newer ones can get hot. I would not have much clearance, maybe 3-4" above and 2-3" on the sides. If it generates a fair amount of heat I'd have to work something out.
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 10:52 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:

How is it convenient to switch everything through receiver?

(quick & dirty answer):
a typical AV receiver functions as a sort-of "centralized" (audio & video) connectivity interface, with built-in video signal enhancement, Digital-Audio Signal Processing (DSP), and a 7-channel pre-amplifier/amplifier, all in a single unit, for all of your devices (ie. DVD player, DVD recorder, HDTV, projector, VCR, turntable, iPod, xBox, PS2, etc.,...).

It has internal functions to switch ON/OFF any respective video & audio output from any respective device connected, thru the receiver, and output to your HDTV and/or speaker-set(s).

This way you can [physically] switch from one device (for example your DVD player) to another (for example your xBox, or VCR). Or watch a cable TV broadcast, while recording it (thru the receiver's internal connection) onto your DVD recorder.

Also, if you have multi-zone speaker set-up's, in other rooms, you can select a device (say CD player) and switch audio output to your other room for listening.

Moreover, you can program your universal remote to control your receiver functions, as well as all your individual device functions, to provide an extra level of "switching" convenience.

Of course, you can choose to connect your cable box, DVD player/recorder, etc.,..directly to your HDTV, and all the audio thru the receiver. However, connecting, or "interfacing", everything thru the receiver, makes it that much more convenient and functional.

You can be as creative as you like, for example- I have all my devices connected thru my Yamaha RX-V1600, but I also have additional video connections from my DVD player and Cable-Box VIDEO-OUT directly to my (extra) HDTV INP's. This way I can choose to watch, or monitor, video (from DVD player or cable-box), while playing, an un-related, audio source thru the receiver. Also, these additional (direct) video connections provide the capapbility to use "picture-in-picture" function on my HDTV.

Quote:

I understand the older device issue, but if you have all newer equip., isnt it just slightly degrading the video path?

it depends. You just have to make sure the receiver's minimum video resolution is at least equal, or higher, than the video devices you plan to use. For example, most newer receivers currently have video pass-thru resolution of 1080p (as is the case with both the RX-V1700 & RX-V2700). Therefore most any current DVD player/recorder (even HD-DVD) will pass video thru the receiver without degrading video resolution. In fact the video looks beautiful!

Hope this helps...........
sslivin's Avatar sslivin 10:59 PM 10-12-2006
I picked up my 2700 last week from Ultimate. It was the first one off the truck. I used a coupon and got the 2700 for less than they were selling the 2600 for.

I was surprised at how easy the YPAO auto setup was. It only takes a few minutes. I am still waiting for two new speakers to arrive, but so far I am very pleased.

I do agree with the HDMI connections being loose, so exercise care. No other faults so far.
isomdh's Avatar isomdh 11:23 PM 10-12-2006
I just learned of Zensonic Z500 , a wireless networking DVD media player. Haven't figured out all that you can do with this new concept product but was wondering if it makes sense to hook up one of these to a 2700?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslivin View Post

I was surprised at how easy the YPAO auto setup was. It only takes a few minutes. I am still waiting for two new speakers to arrive, but so far I am very pleased.

Do you feel YPAO is good enough that you don't need to use a SPL meter?
Quote:

I do agree with the HDMI connections being loose, so exercise care. No other faults so far.

Loose connection could mean bad connection. You'd think the connectors (male/female) produced to specifications should fit snugly. Very strange.
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 11:36 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by isomdh View Post

You'd think the connectors (male/female) produced to specifications should fit snugly. Very strange.

yeah, this can be an issue. I used a DVI cable, with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter, plugged into the Yamaha MONITOR OUT and it sort of wanted to hang downward (in the connector), and not firmly hold it's position.

I thought I read something somewhere (I believe it was on the official "HDMI Group" web-site) where they mentioned this [mechanical] issue, and that design changes are in the works for including connector-shell bolt-on provisions to better support cable connection (like other popular connector types- ie. computer monitor, etc.,...). This would, of course, be implemented onto future HDMI releases (v1.3, v1.4, v1.5, who knows?).
ChrisCollins's Avatar ChrisCollins 06:52 AM 10-13-2006
Quote:

(quick & dirty answer):
a typical AV receiver functions as a sort-of "centralized" (audio & video) connectivity interface, with built-in video signal enhancement, Digital-Audio Signal Processing (DSP), and a 7-channel pre-amplifier/amplifier, all in a single unit, for all of your devices (ie. DVD player, DVD recorder, HDTV, projector, VCR, turntable, iPod, xBox, PS2, etc.,...).

It has internal functions to switch ON/OFF any respective video & audio output from any respective device connected, thru the receiver, and output to your HDTV and/or speaker-set(s).

This way you can [physically] switch from one device (for example your DVD player) to another (for example your xBox, or VCR). Or watch a cable TV broadcast, while recording it (thru the receiver's internal connection) onto your DVD recorder.

Thanks WestCoastD.
I guess I just am old school or a little slow
I think it sounds like a waste of more cables instead of any type of benefit.
Rob Kramer's Avatar Rob Kramer 06:59 AM 10-13-2006
Ive found my HDMI connections to be tight.
Im using HDMI cables from bluejeanscables.com (they are heavy-duty cables for sure).

My only "connection" gripe is that the s-video plugs are all orientated upside-down with respect to all my other equipment's plugs.
MASidoc's Avatar MASidoc 07:17 AM 10-13-2006
Heat: I remember something from over in the 1600/2600 thread about overheating issues and fan speeds and whatnot, so I have been monitoring it with my new 2700. So far, just warm, not hot. However, I do have it installed out in the open and I admit I haven't really pushed it yet (loud volume/long time).

AVR and video: one other thing not mentioned above, is that I like to run only one cable to my projector. However, everyone's installation is different, and for some it may make more sense to just run video directly from source to monitor. I think, ultimately, as well, running through for switching will simplify and improve WAF. We'll see.

HDMI: Yeah, I've got a nice heavy HDMI running to the projector, and it is a bit loose out of the 2700. Inputs are a bit better. I might have to rig something. I also read that locking clips will be part of the 1.3 standard.
isomdh's Avatar isomdh 08:20 AM 10-13-2006
Quote:

I thought I read something somewhere (I believe it was on the official "HDMI Group" web-site) where they mentioned this [mechanical] issue, and that design changes are in the works for including connector-shell bolt-on provisions to better support cable connection (like other popular connector types- ie. computer monitor, etc.,...). This would, of course, be implemented onto future HDMI releases (v1.3, v1.4, v1.5, who knows?).

You don't mean we should wait for RX-V2800? Even though many people have complained of the loose fit, no one's complained of any problems arising from it. So, maybe it's ok.
eddielives's Avatar eddielives 08:52 AM 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

Well, I've had the 2700 for a few days now, and so far I'm very pleased with it.
Also, a head's up about HDMI......
I tried HDMI out from my SA8300HD, to the 2700 and then out to the tv (Sony KDL-V40XBR1).
While I only tried it for a few minutes (still trying to decide on the best connections for everything to keep it simple for my wife), I can tell you that it worked fine; no handshake problems.

Jack

I'm jealous! I just went and picked up a new Motorola DCT-3416, and it won't pass through my 2700. Now I'm starting to think it might be my TV. I have a Sony KF-42WE610 with DVI in. Could my TV be causing the issues?? Anyone?... anybody?... Bueller?
Cvetan1's Avatar Cvetan1 10:17 AM 10-13-2006
eddie-

I don't believe it's issues with the receiver, but with the Motorola box itself. You might want to call you cabel company and see if you can get any updates for it? I have the Motorola 6412 and it will not pass HDMI through my Pioneer 74. I currently have it connected directly to my Panny 8Uk plasma.

Mike
weels's Avatar weels 10:52 AM 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

eddie-

I don't believe it's issues with the receiver, but with the Motorola box itself. You might want to call you cabel company and see if you can get any updates for it? I have the Motorola 6412 and it will not pass HDMI through my Pioneer 74. I currently have it connected directly to my Panny 8Uk plasma.

Mike

Right. I have the MOT 6412 as well and as i understand it it has to do with the s/w version. I currently have the 12.31 ver which is the problematic version, however others with an updated ver 12.37 say the issue is resolved. When i called the tech at my cable co about the issue, he called me back, 2 weeks later, and says THEIR supplier wouldn't release that ver to them. I have my theories as to why but it would only be speculation, suffice to say i'm sure it boils down to money. Hope others have better luck.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the V2700 also, but the idea of spending this kind of money and having to using Component cables sucks.
Cvetan1's Avatar Cvetan1 11:08 AM 10-13-2006
weels,

I'm in the same boat you're in! This really sucks, just the thought about shelling out more bucks and using component cables makes me cringe! I'm almost tempted to go satellite route just for this reason...

Mike
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 01:30 PM 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by weels View Post

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the V2700 also, but the idea of spending this kind of money and having to using Component cables sucks.

yeah, this is sort of a "universal" issue, mostly, related to cable-box complications. Does'nt really matter what receiver brand you're using. These problems will be solved at some point in the future (I hope soon). Some companies have already fixed it (on some SA8300HD's for example, I've read). I'm in the same situation using my RX-V1600 & RX-V2600. However, I would'nt, necessarily, let this stop me from getting one of the new receivers though.
Darthfunk's Avatar Darthfunk 02:07 PM 10-13-2006
Hey West thats alot of receivers u own now 1600, 2600 and 2700!
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 02:42 PM 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfunk View Post

Hey West thats alot of receivers u own now 1600, 2600 and 2700!

I have'nt purchased an RX-V2700, yet! But plan to soon.
yeah, I have have two systems, for two rooms. I usually give my current stuff to my son, he's alway's excited to get the next piece. These are fun toys! I will probably stay with the RX-v2700 for at least a few years (I hope).
Robosapien's Avatar Robosapien 06:27 PM 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveThomas View Post

Would you comment on the heat generated by the 2700? I have had older Yamaha receivers that did not generate much heat but I have heard the newer ones can get hot. I would not have much clearance, maybe 3-4" above and 2-3" on the sides. If it generates a fair amount of heat I'd have to work something out.

I own an RX-V1500. I don't consider it to generate excessive amounts of heat but as an added precaution I connected a 120mm quiet PC fan to an inexpensive Philips adjustable voltage AC adapter and plugged it in one of the switched AC outlets on the back of the receiver. I place the fan on an angle on top of the receiver during heat waves or extensive loud volume use. At low voltage the fan is practically silent and the receiver remains cool as a cucumber.

http://www.audio-discounters.com/ph-62092.html
http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-74-11
jnanadev's Avatar jnanadev 06:36 PM 10-13-2006
Has anyone tried user this or a similar, i.e. 2600, with Zone 2 output? I'm a little confused by the manual saying you need an IR transmitter as well as a receiver... If the remote IR receiver connects directly to the back of the receiver, what's the transmitter for?
Rob Kramer's Avatar Rob Kramer 09:17 PM 10-13-2006
Quote:

I have have two systems, for two rooms..

Why not try two systems in one room.

isomdh's Avatar isomdh 10:52 PM 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

Wow! Impressive looking speakers. I guess audio trumps video in your setup. And that door must not lead to any place important.
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 11:46 PM 10-13-2006
Quote:

oh my god!

I thought, well he's got two set's of front speakers, they must just be for "presence". Then I realized he's got two receivers, with two set's of everything!

So you ever play two different audio selections simultaneously? Talk about torture...............
mav's Avatar mav 05:10 AM 10-14-2006
Quote:

Some nice equipment but what gives with the 4:3 TV?
nevea2be's Avatar nevea2be 09:53 AM 10-14-2006
What exactly is a Presence output? Is that like on the Denon 3806 where you can use two zones amplifiers in one room to drive one set of speakers?
WebEffect's Avatar WebEffect 10:11 AM 10-14-2006
Is there any difference in sound or the YPAO setup(other than watts)between the 1700 and 1600? I just don't know if it's worth waiting for the new model, and I'm..uh..impatient. Thanks in advance.
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop