The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was really considering the 2700 but now it seems from reading the thread that the networking function is fairly limited (and slow). I have thousands of albums ripped to a 600gb external drive connected to my pc. So, I'm back to the jvc 702b and it's wireless streaming. The upside there is that the music collection is cued up and driven by the pc software of your choice (i.e. iTunes, Media Player, etc..). The ability to create playlists, easily and quickly select files, play by genre, etc. is critical. Of course, you have to be at the pc to do that, so I'm thinking about adding a small footprint pc with a touchscreen to my a/v seatup.

Are there other (affordable) alternatives? (or discussion in another forum...?). I'm a newbie to all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would suggest a separate unit from the receiver for this function. Many threads about such devices can be found here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Bob
post #363 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billip View Post

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but can the RX-V2700 upscale/upconvert incoming 480i if it's coming through HDMI? I know it can for analog sources, but how about digital?

Found the answer. FYI: The RX-V2700 can not upscale/upconvert when the signal is input through HDMI... only composite, S-Video and component.
post #364 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Oh, I beg to differ.
The only items you win out on are the amp and the display.

My modified X-series win out over [my] swans. Your 6.1/6.2s may be fuller at the bottom end, but Ill have the X-MTMs (modified too) here soon enough. My adv.

AV15. Wouldnt work in my small, lively room. My adv.

The DVD-47 provides full BM for both SACD and DVD-A through it's Wolfson DACs. Ill give you a tie there.

Thats 4 me, 2 you, and 2 ties.

You do have more $$ in your system though.
At least 3x or more (how much does that amp go for?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

nice!

X-series vs Swan Diva 6.1s + 6.2s = advantage swan
ascend presence vs no presence = adv. ascends
svs sub vs AV15 sub = AV15 by a mile
56" JVC vs Pio Elite 1130 = LOL, do I need to even say something here?
HK dvd-47 vs Denon 3910 = 3910
rx=v2700 vs denon 3806 = 2700 (but I'll have minde soon enough)
emotiva LPA-1 vs Cinenova Grande 5ch = Cinenova by carnage
A2 HD-DVD vs A2 HD-DVD = wash

good thing you dont play poker or I would have your wife banging on my door asking me to give you guys the money back!

post #365 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

Oh, I beg to differ.
The only items you win out on are the amp and the display.

My modified X-series win out over [my] swans. Your 6.1/6.2s may be fuller at the bottom end, but Ill have the X-MTMs (modified too) here soon enough. My adv.

AV15. Wouldnt work in my small, lively room. My adv.

The DVD-47 provides full BM for both SACD and DVD-A through it's Wolfson DACs. Ill give you a tie there.

Thats 4 me, 2 you, and 2 ties.

You do have more $$ in your system though.
At least 3x or more (how much does that amp go for?).

good thing we are not playing or you would be broke!
post #366 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 PM

hey all,

just finished installing my RX1700 with a set of Wharfdale Diamonds. I also purchased a couple of extra diamond 8.1's to act as presence speakers. I encountered some problems however.

I decided to bi-amp my front 2 speakers to give them a bit of extra grunt and noted in the manual that when bi-amping the front speakers, you cannot use surround back speakers as it uses that channel to bi-amp. No problem - don't have any anyway. However after connecting it all up and flicking bi-amp on, i notice i can no longer run my Presence speakers either. I go through the settings and the Amp does not allow me to turn presence speakers on in the SET MENU. I go back, re-wire the speakers and turn bi-amp off and viola - the menu option for presence speakers now works.

The manual doesn't indicate that you can't run presence speakers while bi-amping, but it certainly seems to be the case. It's not a big deal, the front speakers still sound great with just the single connection, and the presence speakers add some nice clarity in the mid range.

Other than this slight set back, everything else is going great. The audio processing features on the amp are fantastic, and the only big remaining test is hooking up the brand new HTPC im building to the 60" Sony SXRD tv thats coming next week. Planning on running HDMI from the HTPC to the amp and then from the amp to the TV. The HTPC will always be putting out a 1080p connection so upscaling isn't an issue and the amp should upscale all other connections to make the TV look HOT :P

will let you know how it turns out.
post #367 of 5380 Old 10-20-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik3r View Post

The manual doesn't indicate that you can't run presence speakers while bi-amping.

good to know, thanks for the info.

Quote:

The HTPC will always be putting out a 1080p connection so upscaling isn't an issue

so what HTPC system are you using?
post #368 of 5380 Old 10-21-2006, 12:53 AM

specs wise ?

a64 3500+
Asus A8N-E motherboard
1 gig dual ddr400
1* 320gig SATA HD
GeCube Radeon X1300 HDMI edition (has direct HDMI output that carries video and audio if u connect an SPDIF cable to the video card)
DVICO FusionHDTV Dual Digital 2
Pioneer 110 DVD Re-writable drive

all inside a Silverstone LC17 case with an Antec 450watt PSU. Am literally putting it together while i type. TV still ~1 week away though. Will post w/ pics once its all complete.
post #369 of 5380 Old 10-21-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:

...I notice i can no longer run my Presence speakers either. I go through the settings and the Amp does not allow me to turn presence speakers on in the SET MENU. I go back, re-wire the speakers and turn bi-amp off and viola - the menu option for presence speakers now works.

The manual doesn't indicate that you can't run presence speakers while bi-amping, but it certainly seems to be the case.

No offense, but why would you think they could be run if you're bi-amping the front L & R speaker? The receiver only has 7 amplifiers in it and running a 5.1 system will use 5 of them. When you bi-amp the front speakers you use the remaining two amplifiers for bi-amping. So, you end up with no amps left to drive surround back speakers, a 2nd room, or presence speakers.
post #370 of 5380 Old 10-21-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:

hey all,

I decided to bi-amp my front 2 speakers to give them a bit of extra grunt and noted in the manual that when bi-amping the front speakers, you cannot use surround back speakers as it uses that channel to bi-amp. No problem - don't have any anyway. However after connecting it all up and flicking bi-amp on, i notice i can no longer run my Presence speakers either. I go through the settings and the Amp does not allow me to turn presence speakers on in the SET MENU. I go back, re-wire the speakers and turn bi-amp off and viola - the menu option for presence speakers now works.

There are only 7 amps. 5 are for the normal 5.1. The other 2 can be used for presence, bi-amping, surround back or (I believe) another zone. After that, there are no other amps.

By the way, has anyone a preference between presence and back surrounds? We have the 5.1 set up, and have 2 additional bookshelf speakers to place, but not sure whether to set them up as presence or back surrounds. We're about 80% HT, 20% music.
post #371 of 5380 Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

By the way, has anyone a preference between presence and back surrounds? We have the 5.1 set up, and have 2 additional bookshelf speakers to place, but not sure whether to set them up as presence or back surrounds. We're about 80% HT, 20% music.

I posted the same question a few days ago. I'm building a new house, and have a few options as far as surrounds go.
50/50 here with music and movies.

Jack
post #372 of 5380 Old 10-21-2006, 11:40 PM

It's upgrade time, and I'm dumping my Sony ES-9000 pre for the 2700. Should I keep my AT1505 amp, or has amp technology progressed so much that the 2700 amp section would be a better choice?

Also toss in that I'm driving Paradigm Studio 60s, which can be biamped with the 2700.

Thanks in advance - Joe
post #373 of 5380 Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 AM

another interesting quirk we've discovered. You can't seem to make the zones run off digital inputs (HDMI / Coaxial (don't have optical to test with but assume same problem as coax)). They work fine from RCA inputs from our pay-tv reciever or PS2 but when you select a digital input (from say, a computer SPDIF coax out or a DVD coax out) the main zone and speakers all work perfectly but the zone's 2 (or 3 presumably) produce no sound. Have i missed something ? I went through the settings and made sure that audio mixing was enabled and checked a few other things to no avail.
post #374 of 5380 Old 10-22-2006, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpresto View Post

Should I keep my AT1505 amp, or has amp technology progressed so much that the 2700 amp section would be a better choice?

The RX-V2700 is very efficient for an AV receiver and will provide very high-quality sound. However, the ATI 1505 is definitely more efficient, and should provide a great match with the Yamaha (as pre-pro).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpresto View Post

Also toss in that I'm driving Paradigm Studio 60s, which can be biamped with the 2700.

I would experiment with both configurations, for fun (actually I would really like to know the results)- ie. try your Yamaha amps with normal (single-amp) set-up (Paradigm 5.1 speaker-set I assume), see how it sounds. Then try Yamaha amps with (surround-back channel) bi-amp configuration, see how it sounds. Finally, try your ATI amp configuration using Yamaha as pre-pro. The ATI 1505 is a "killer" amp! I think you'll be extremely happy pairing it with the RX-V2700 (I would be).

I'm using an NAD C272 amp (150W X 2) with an RX-V1600 (as pre-pro for FRONT channels only) and it sounds sweet with my Energy RC-30 fronts, definitely more efficient than the Yamaha amps (of course). I previously had the RX-V1600 set-up in a 5.1 bi-amp configuration, it sounded pretty impressive, somewhat noticeably better than the normal (single-amp) configuration. However, the NAD drives the Energy's much easier. Actually, I wish I had bought a 5-channel amp (I plan to in the future).
post #375 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

another interesting quirk we've discovered. You can't seem to make the zones run off digital inputs (HDMI / Coaxial (don't have optical to test with but assume same problem as coax)). They work fine from RCA inputs from our pay-tv reciever or PS2 but when you select a digital input (from say, a computer SPDIF coax out or a DVD coax out) the main zone and speakers all work perfectly but the zone's 2 (or 3 presumably) produce no sound. Have i missed something ? I went through the settings and made sure that audio mixing was enabled and checked a few other things to no avail.

In years past, the zone 2 could not pass a digital signal (on Yamaha or other brands), so I guess that has not changed.
post #376 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billip View Post

Found the answer. FYI: The RX-V2700 can not upscale/upconvert when the signal is input through HDMI... only composite, S-Video and component.

Ok, but the signal is passed to the HDTV that will upconvert to native resolution...correct? So, if I buy the RX-V1700 with HDMI inputs for sat/cable, it will be sent to the HDTV (HDMI out) and upscaled there.(not interested in the 2700.)

Newbie wanting to know.
post #377 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 AM

I'm not sure what my 1700 is doing...

I have a dlink DSM-520 HD media streamer with an HDMI out--

if I connect it straight to my LCD the LCD says the resolution is 640x480...

I run it thru the 1700, its 1920x1080...??

i dont think its actually upconverting is it?

I'm downloading a native 1080i version of sin city now, to see if I can actually "see" a difference...

anyony know what it's doing?

thanks!!
post #378 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, I discovered the same thing this weekend. My CD player and SA 8300 was originally connected through digital cable. Zone 2 and 3 did not work, I thought it was hooked up wrong or I had a defective receiver. Spent about an hour messing with it, until I selected tuner and it worked!

So I connected the CD player with analog cables and now Zone 2 and 3 work. It created another issue. When I am using the main zone, the CD player defaults to analog inputs. I can't select whether the CD player or the 2700 does the D/A conversion. I haven't done a detailed comparison, but just assumed the 2700 had better DACs. The CD player is a Pioneer Elite manufactured in 1996 (still going strong)
post #379 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 03:07 PM

OK, I am network challenged. Can someone help me with connecting this to my WiFi network with presumably a wireless access point. I have a cable modem connected to a dlink wifi router. The main computer where my music is stored is connected to the router via a Cat5 cable. What do I need to buy an dhow do I set it up? I saw the diagram posted earlier, but need a little more detailed help.
post #380 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 03:26 PM

a nice wireless client, that seems to always work, is the zyxel p330w -- compusa has a special on them now for $10, my access point is a zyxel x-550 tho-- but i've connected it to different ones...
post #381 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bi-Amping question - I am patiently waiting for an opportunity (the WAF) to get the the 2700. I am very interested in the bi-amping option for the presence channels. Is this smart bi-amping, or dumb, 20Hz-20kHz bi-amping, that wastes a lot of power? If it is smart bi-amping, I am very interested in the prospect of 280w of properly distributed power. If not, I'm expecting a lot of unused energy (what is a 2" tweeter going to do with 20Hz?).

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My lazily meandering Theater Room quest
post #382 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 PM

Where are you guys getting your 1700/2700 at.

None of my local dealers carry them.

Any suggestions for a good online site?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chad
post #383 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post

I am very interested in the bi-amping option for the presence channels. Is this smart bi-amping.

The bi-amp option, on these Yamaha receivers, are intended to be used for the two FRONT channels. Otherwise, the two (extra) amplifiers can be used for SURROUND BACK, or PRESENCE channels.
post #384 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Bi-Amping question - I am patiently waiting for an opportunity (the WAF) to get the the 2700. I am very interested in the bi-amping option for the presence channels. Is this smart bi-amping, or dumb, 20Hz-20kHz bi-amping, that wastes a lot of power? If it is smart bi-amping, I am very interested in the prospect of 280w of properly distributed power. If not, I'm expecting a lot of unused energy (what is a 2" tweeter going to do with 20Hz?).

Pardon my ignorance whats (WAF)

Darthfunk Mini Review

OPPO DV-983H
post #385 of 5380 Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

wife acceptance factor
post #386 of 5380 Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I am very interested in the prospect of 280w of properly distributed power.

It's passive bi-amping. And it does not give you 280 watts of power. But even active bi-amping would not give you 280 watts of power either.
post #387 of 5380 Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSlater21 View Post

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chad

Try Vann's and Crutchfield. I've bought from both, and both give good service.
You'll pay list, but they're both authorized dealers.

Jack
post #388 of 5380 Old 10-24-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSlater21 View Post

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chad

Call J&R. Authorized dealer and about 25% off list.
post #389 of 5380 Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
hwb

So I'm going through the set up of my RX-2700. I get to the Net Radio portion and with my ethernet cable connected directly to my router. I see the IP address in the set up menu and back through the router I see the MAC address of the RX-2700. But beyond that I don't see how to get any internet radio. I'm primarily Apple on the network but I do have a PC that when I connect with Window Media Connect does not see any devices. Tried unplugging the RX-2700, resetting the firewall in the PC Window Media Connect software. All I really want to do is get Net Radio...any help?
post #390 of 5380 Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM

How does the RX-V2700 process TrueHD or DolbyHD+? It's not mentioned in the specs. Do I need to use the straight inputs or will HDMI handle this format?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page