The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 5369 Old 10-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well from what I've seen so far with DVD's, the image looked significantly better running straight into the Ruby than it did running it through the 2700. Granted as of right now, it's only connected by component and not HDMI. By next week it should all be HDMI including the DVD player so then it won't particularly matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 AM

Liked: 11
I want OSD to work via HDMI in 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. (not just 480i) I dont need "overylay". I just want to use OSD for easy setup! I only want to use HDMI to my projector. HTPC DVI-HDMI, Xbox via Componenet, VCR, all through AVR HDMI output

I thought the 2700 was "the one" but maybe not. The SQ is suburb from what I've read and what I heard on older Yam AVR's.

-Sound Quality? (check)
-basic HDMI switching and analog passthrough or convert? (check)
-Nice OSD On Screen Display via HDMI (from what I read, FAILS) crap, but again the whole network interface gui is good enough for me! (still interested)

still, they should make OS work via HDMI in 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
(add it to the list after HDMI 1.3!)

My projector (ax100) will only accept 480i via component. My projector HDMI only accepts 480p or better.

The Denon I was looking at has the same 480i OSD via HDMI problem.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...00#post8759500

hmmm so since I really only want OSD for easy setup, the whole network interface thing I saw a few pages back would work. I'm using a HTPC/MediaCenter (does the cool Windows GUI app come with this Yammy?)
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWarden View Post

And on to the bad news ....

My reply from Yamaha Tech Support:

Hello:
In response to your emaiL: Since you are using HDMI video monitor out to connect your receiver to your tv, the On Screen Display (OSD) video signal is outputted at a 480i video signal. Therefore, if the video image (from dvd player, cable box, satellite box, etc*) is being output at a higher resolution than 480i (High Definition 480p, 720p, or 1080i, 1080p) than it will not work because the 480i OSD signal will not overlay over the video image. Try turning off all video signals and then test out the (OSD). Or you may want to use either a RCA (Yellow Cable) or S-Video cable monitor out and connect that to any available video input on the back of your tv. Thank you! af

I'm pretty disappointed in this, and am going to do some more research on trying to make this work, but I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to return my 2700. I can't understand why an advanced system that is capable of working with HiDef and multi channel audio can't do something as simple as display what level the volume is at on screen (my nearly 10 year old RX-V2090 can do that), I'm planning on making this system the backbone of my home audio for the next 10 years, if it's already falling short of current technology I don't think it's the right system for me ... I'm going to take a look the Denon AVR-4306.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #423 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

I want OSD to work via HDMI in 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. (not just 480i) I dont need "overylay". I just want to use OSD for easy setup! I only want to use HDMI to my projector.

Jazjon ... to clarify my response, and based on my experiences so far it actually sounds like the 2700 will do what you want.

When you push the MENU button on the remote the receiver loads a separate screen for the On Screen Setup display (I assume this screen is a 480i source). These are the menus you'll want to navigate to setup your components, speakers, preferences and so on. This actually will work over an HDMI connection and should display properly on your screen at any (upscaled) resolution (I'm viewing on a 1080i HiDef display). Where the OSD fails is in displaying information overlayed onto an existing video source. For example, when watching a HiDef channel through my satellite TV, if I adjust the volume, I DO NOT get the standard volume bars with sound level superimposed. You also don't get info such as selected input and DSP program superimposed over the HiDef video source while you watch it which is dissapointing, particulalrly if (like me) your receiver isn't close enough to the seating area to be able to read the front panel display.
post #424 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 AM

BigWarden, the 2700 will not do what you want it to do period. It' can't. I have the same problem, just like my old RX-V2092. Yamaha's promotional info is misleading.
post #425 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 08:48 AM

I need about 120 ms delay to sync with my Samsung DLP and the Yamaha delay works ok, but when I play a DVD source I have to go to the GUI and shorten the delay time! This sucks since the delay feature is global and not by input. Again, Yamaha is not clear in their advertising.
post #426 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halco View Post

BigWarden, the 2700 will not do what you want it to do period. It' can't. I have the same problem, just like my old RX-V2092. Yamaha's promotional info is misleading.

Thanks ... yep, I've come to that conclusion too, and have heard a few other sources (including yours that have backed that up) ... I was considering taking it back and getting a Denon 4306, but it seems that receiver ALSO has the same issue. The guys at my local Tweeter all said the same, and didn't know of any other manufacturers components that would do it.

I just find it hard to believe that any AV company making a system geared beyond the casual user wouldn't take into account the fact that their customers would most likely be using, or at least migrating to the latest video technology and wouldn't build the most basic functions of their system to work seamlessly with HiDef.

In any case, I'm overall happy with the rest of the system ... I've got a 30 day satisfaction guarantee within which to make up my mind, so I've decided to give it a chance and see if I can accept it for it's minor faults.

It does sound great though, and HDMI upscaling works as advertised which I couldn't be more happy about.
post #427 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 12:11 PM

post #428 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 PM

I have my 2700 set up with a wrt54g running dd-wrt set up as a wireless bridge. I can get the Internet radio to work great but I'm having trouble with windows media connect and the 2700.
When I select net/server on the 2700 I can't see any folders that were shared in Media Connect
And in media connect I can't see the 2700. Has anyone else gotten this to work wireless?

Thanks
post #429 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 03:30 PM

I would think Receiver Manager via my HTPC / Media Center will be better then OSD. If OSD works over HDMI (even with no overlay) great, if not, this app looks more then easy enough to setup everything. As it was said before, I should rarely have to re-tweak any settings once everything is setup/tuned. I think this Receiver will be a good match for KEF speakers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes View Post

I was poking around the yamahapab.com training site some more and I found that they have already released the RXV2700 receiver manager software. I didn't play around with it on the 2600 but I definitely had a lot of fun using it with the 2500 a couple years ago. I'm impressed that it is already up, as it usually is a few months after release of the receiver. And believe it or not....they released a manual on how to operate the software! Previously it was just guesswork.

They did have a disclaimer about using it, since it's not something they really talk about as a feature of the receiver or support: WARNING: THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE WILL TYPICALLY REQUIRE THE SERVICE OF A PROFESSIONAL SYSTEMS INSTALLER FOR PROGRAMMING AND SET UP. Anyway, if you're a geek and want to try it out like me, have a ball. It is cool stuff.

RXV2700 Receiver Manager software V1.00

RXV2700 Receiver Manager manual

If anyone who has an older generation Yamaha (1500,1600,3300,Z9,etc) wants the software for their respective model, just drop me a PM and I'll email it to you.

It also occured to me that a lot of people have no idea what the receiver manager is. It's a software program made by Yamaha to control the receiver from your pc. Essentially anything you can do with the remote, you can do from this software, and then some. Change DSP modes, input selection, volume, zone 2 or 3 power and inputs, save and recall different YPAO settings, tweek the EQ settings, change radio stations, 12 volt triggers, rename inputs, you name it. You also have the option of making the changes instantly on the receiver or making the changes on the software and then downloading those changes to the receiver at a later time. The program is very powerful. Not very refined. But very powerful.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #430 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 04:48 PM

I've got 75 ft of monoprice hdmi cabling (including the booster/equalizer/whatever) going from a Tivo Series 3 to the 2700. Can't get a picture. Same cable directly into the projector works fine.

Can anyone confirm/deny any issues with the S3?

Thanks - Joe
post #431 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 PM

I dont think you're really supposed to go over 50 foot though. (75???)

post #432 of 5369 Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 PM

There's no set limit on hdmi. I ran 75 and didn't see a problem.

It may be the length, but before I move around equipment I want to see if others have the same hardware and have the same issues.
post #433 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpresto View Post

I've got 75 ft of monoprice hdmi cabling (including the booster/equalizer/whatever) going from a Tivo Series 3 to the 2700. Can't get a picture. Same cable directly into the projector works fine.

Can anyone confirm/deny any issues with the S3?

Thanks - Joe

Maybe your Tivo HDMI output is not compatable with HDMI switching.
I have this problem with our cable company Scientific Atlanta cable adapter box. When patching the cable box through the 2700 then to the TV with a HDMI, a message appears that the HDCI is not compatable. Research has revealed that some components output can not be switched (such as the 2700 does). Until the cable company upgrades the box firmware, no cable HDMI to the 2700.
There are several threads about this HDMI switching issue on this forum and others.
-Uman
post #434 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 AM

I've been reading about the switching issues - lots of notes on the SA 8300. I suppose my question is whether there's a specific issue with the s3/2700 combo.

Thanks - Joe
post #435 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 AM

Then just to clarify for those of us that are little dense (that would be me). I just got my 2700 this past week and received my HDMI cables yesterday. I proceeded to connect my DVD player and my Motorola 6412 DVR HD box via HDMI to the recevier. My TV is a Samsung DLP from 04 with one DVI input. So my concept was like most others to use the receiver as a hub for all HDMI devices going to TV. I read some of the posts possibly being a problem with certain version of firmware on these boxes, but it was never exactly clear to me if it was all cable boxes or just some from certain areas. BTW I have Comcast right outside of Philadelphia. Result for me is a picture for 2 seconds with sound then no picture and just sound. I called Comcast and got no where, but a suggestion to go to my local service center and upgrade my box to a 3412 to see if that solves the problem.

The other realization with this is that the receiver will not upconvert the signal to 720P (all my TV is good for) thru HDMI on the cable box or DVD player (which is a Toshiba that upconverts anyway).

Sooooo my question is should I just use componet wires to the receiver for both DVD and Cable or just HDMI for DVD since it upconverts anyway and componet for cable.

On a side note I really like this receiver so far besides these technical diffficulties getting it set up. Over all once I grasp how to hook this thing up I think I will be really happy.
post #436 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 09:19 AM

Just use the component cables since your TV can't accept anything more then a 720p signal.
post #437 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Since hdmi inputs cannot be upconverted you could use component from the DVD and choose upconverting or not, depending on which up converter (DVD or 2700) process works the best.
You already have 720p from the cable box so it passes through without processing. The bigger question here is which is best, your tv's upconverstion, the 2700 or DVD. I guess using a test pattern from AVia or DV essentials might help you decide which is best.
Hal
post #438 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the quick replys! I hate my Toshiba DVD player's upconvert set up, you have to goto the DVD player once the movie is running and hit the upconvert button on player to choose 480P or 720P, there is no button for that on the remote. I think the easiest thing to do is the componet wires from that. My issue is the cable box, I really would like to use just a HDMI cable from it since it is just a pass thru of 720P.

So 2 more questions then:

1. Has anyone from the Philly area using Comcast upgraded to the Motorola 3412 or changed firmware on the 6412 and gotten the HDMI thru the 2700 to work?

2. I noticed that I have to go into the GUI menu and switch the upconversion on and off to get HDMI and componet feed to work from seperate devices. Is there a way to set it and forget it to avoid going into the GUI eveytime I switch componets on receiver?
post #439 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird69 View Post

2. I noticed that I have to go into the GUI menu and switch the upconversion on and off to get HDMI and componet feed to work from seperate devices. Is there a way to set it and forget it to avoid going into the GUI eveytime I switch componets on receiver?

Why not just connect everything to the receiver through component cables and then run 1 set of component wires to your set? Wouldn't that solve your problem?
post #440 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 10:07 AM

Does the V2700 have a way to level all of the out putting audio from TV stations?
post #441 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird69 View Post

1. Has anyone from the Philly area using Comcast upgraded to the Motorola 3412 or changed firmware on the 6412 and gotten the HDMI thru the 2700 to work?

Let us (me) know what the outcome is with the Motorola 6412 DVR HD box. My local cable company uses the same box for HD DVR, and so I would have the same issue with this receiver.
post #442 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM

As of now the update is that is does not work and no one could help me on the phone.

I guess it is logical to run all componet from both cable box and dvd player with an HDMI out from receiver to TV. I just like the idea of eliminating some wires too by using the HDMI. I guess by using componets I still end up with same results without any loss in picture, at least I hope that is the case. I have the cable box hooked up using componet wires to receiver now and it definately gets a nice picture (I can't tell the difference from when I had it hooked with a hdmi/dvi cable direct to TV), so I guess I am good to go. I probably won't bother with replacing cable box unless there is some obivious advantage in doing so.

One other advantage by all componet wires is not having to switch the upconversion on/off the GUI menu everytime I toggle from cable box to dvd. It is not exactly what I had in mind and now I have to return my to HDMI cables and replace one with componet wires. Thanks to all for the help. I hope it is an easier hook up process for the rest of you guys.
post #443 of 5369 Old 10-29-2006, 04:14 PM

Since my cable box HDMI is not compatable with a switching receiver, I connected the cable box to the 2700 with component cables and output of the 2700 with HDMI to the TV. This setup works fine and the picture is excellent. When the cable company issues new firmware, I will change over to all HDMI. Until then this is acceptable
-Jeff
post #444 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Hi Guys,
I searched but couldn't find any info... Does anyone know if the RX-V2700 can do vertical stretch of 1080i/p content like BR or HDdvd for use with a horizontal expansion anamorphic lens like a Prismasonic ?

The specs page on the Yamaha site notes the ABT scaler engine can do "independent" vertical and horizontal scaling - so I'm hoping I can use this receiver as a scaler too. I understand it wont scale to 1080p, or even de-interlace 1080i. But 1080i is fine for me, however I need the vertical stretch for 2.35 front projection.

post #445 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 03:52 AM

FYI, the v2700 480i OSD (On Screen Display GUI) displays & works great on my Panny ax100 pj. (even though the panny manual doesnt show 480i being supported via HDMI)

So yeah OSD works ! (happy) The PC Yamaha receiver manager app via com port works great, but once you rename everything etc, the OSD is even easier to use anyway. It's quite well thought out and easy. I was able to tweak all my settings with no issues or heaaches. My V2700 system is sounding excellent ! (KEF iQ9 5.1 speakers, SVS tube sub)

post #446 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 06:58 AM

I bought a 2700 and HP-S5053 plasma on the weekend. And when I inputed my Xbox 360, in the 2700, the colours where all off.

Didn't have alot of time to figure it out. But has that happened before?
post #447 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halco View Post

In reality what Yamaha is saying is the OSD us pretty useless when connected to a hi def set!
Again, misleading info in their promotional lit. But, then again I don't think there's another AVR out there that does what we expected of the 2700.

Careful Halco. Now you're the one misleading people. I think you should have stated that the volume will not display on-screen with a source higher than 480 being fed to the receiver. You can still access ALL the menu features and settings. The 2700 just doesn't have the feature of overlaying a 480i signal over a 720p/1080i signal. I just went out to the livingroom and disconnected the component cables from my HD cable box to the 2700 and hooked up the HDMI cable. When I hit menu, everything comes up as it should. Same with a component feed. I am connected to the TV via HDMI.
I still don't get why everyone is so hung up about seeing the volume on the screen. It's a "cool factor" at very best. I'd rather let my ears decide what volume I'm listening to. Especially with all the different volumes programs are coming through at, I don't want to see the volume bar every time a commercial comes on or I change the channel .

Just my .02$

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #448 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Eddie,

"You can still access ALL the menu features and settings."

Just to be clear since I have this receiver on my short list, you are saying if I am playing a HD-DVD on my 1080p HDTV over HDMI, that I CAN use OSD to see the various settings with the exception of volume. I think thats what you said?
Very confusing to me...sorry Thanks for the clarification.

From BigWarden:
"For example, when watching a HiDef channel through my satellite TV, if I adjust the volume, I DO NOT get the standard volume bars with sound level superimposed. You also don't get info such as selected input and DSP program superimposed over the HiDef video source while you watch it which is dissapointing, particulalrly if (like me) your receiver isn't close enough to the seating area to be able to read the front panel display. "

Is this then incorrect?
post #449 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Eddie,
Just to be clear since I have this receiver on my short list, you are saying if I am playing a HD-DVD on my 1080p HDTV over HDMI, that I CAN use OSD to see the various settings with the exception of volume. I think thats what you said?
Very confusing to me...sorry

"You can still access ALL the menu features and settings." Thanks for the clarification.

Yes. When I have my Motorola DCT-3416 hooked to the RX-V2700 via HDMI and outputting 720p, I can just press menu and see the entire menu system (settings, soundfields, set up, etc.). I'll go try it again.............................. Yup.

I run component normally since I want to use the stretch mode from the 2700 and utilize the up-conversion feature (not available using HDMI into the 2700), but I have an HDMI cable behind there for testing purposes.

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #450 of 5369 Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

So........I guess BigWarden is doing something different since he cannot see the menu when watching HD via sat?

Does yours work with a HD channel Eddie?

This is weird Maybe its just me
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page