The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Eddie and I have the same setup, and yes, I can see theMenus just like him ... Here's what's happening.

When you push the "MENU" button on the receiver, the receiver checks to see what video signal it's currently outputting. If that video signal is greater than 480i, it switches off the video signal (the screen goes all screwy for a seceond) and then pipes the setup menu video (which is natively 480i) to the monitor out. If however the video feed you're watching is already in 480i (standard DVD for example), the receiver neatly overlays the setup menus in a slightly transparent overlay ontop of your currently playing video source. There's also no "Video Hiccup" as the receiver switches from HiDef to Standard Def.

This was never really a problem for me ... I didn't really care that the SETUP MENUS weren't overlaying the existing video.

What was bugging me, is that OTHER onscreen information such as Volume bars/level, current DSP selection, speaker output levels ... all things you might like to adjust as you were watching TV, don't overlay on a high definition video source. It just can't be done. The only feedback you get is on the front display of the receiver (which in my case is on the other side of the room and is too small for me to read from my viewing position).

For the record though, I think I've come to terms with it ... I had some time over the weekend to play with the reciever, and have been enjoying it ... though I'm dissapointed that it functionally doesn't work the way I'd like it to (and IMHO, the way it was advertised it would work), I think I can get beyond it and get on to enjoying it more. It's a minor inconvenience for some major plusses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWarden View Post

What was bugging me, is that OTHER onscreen information such as Volume bars/level, current DSP selection, speaker output levels ... all things you might like to adjust as you were watching TV, don't overlay on a high definition video source. It just can't be done. The only feedback you get is on the front display of the receiver (which in my case is on the other side of the room and is too small for me to read from my viewing position).

Thanks, BigWarden...... that's what I thought and Eddies post confused me.
I agreee, the setup is not used that often, but the OTHER info should be available for viewing with the OSD regardless of the resolution used. Alas, it appears all current receivers are in the same fix.
post #453 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 PM

So I've been playing with my 2700 for a few days and have to say that I'm pretty happy with my choice (was trying to decide between this and the new Sony).

I do have a couple questions:

1a) Will any Cat5 cable based wireless adapter work for the Net feature (eg: a gaming adapter)?

1b) Anyone using this with Vista yet? Supposedly WMC is built in to Vista...

and

2) I'd like to play around with the Receiver Manager software, but I've nver used an RS-232c connector before - any recommendations on what/where to get one?

Thanks.
post #454 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM

bwclark & BigWarden,

Sorry about that. I didn't want to further confuse an already unclear situation. It just seemed that it was being conveyed by another poster that the OSD in general would not work through HDMI, and I wanted to assure future users that it wasn't true. All I can think of right now is what my dad told me when I was 8. He said that sometimes it's better for me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I'm an idiot, than to open it and prove them right.

I'll try and utilize that theory going forward.

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #455 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 PM

Something I noticed while trying to get my Comcastic 6412 version 3 box to work this weekend (which just ain't happening with HDMI to the 2700 without a FW upgrade that Comcast Tech and supervisor in the Philly suburban area don't even know what firmware is). When using componet wires on cable box and HDMI on DVD I have to go onto the GUI and switch the conversion to off when using HDMI. I thought I would be able to set that up to be on or off per device, but it does not seem that way. The other snafu is when I manually change speaker setting (size,distance, level etc.) and then proceed to check the information key on the auto setup it does not show my changes? Anyone know whats up with those 2 things?

BTW I have given up on HDMI and ordered componet wires for everything. It is kind of lame that I had to do this but I blame Comcast and not the 2700, maybe one day Comcast will bless us with a firmware upgrade, until then no deal.
post #456 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird69 View Post

Something I noticed while trying to get my Comcastic 6412 version 3 box to work this weekend (which just ain't happening with HDMI to the 2700 without a FW upgrade that Comcast Tech and supervisor in the Philly suburban area don't even know what firmware is). When using componet wires on cable box and HDMI on DVD I have to go onto the GUI and switch the conversion to off when using HDMI. I thought I would be able to set that up to be on or off per device, but it does not seem that way. The other snafu is when I manually change speaker setting (size,distance, level etc.) and then proceed to check the information key on the auto setup it does not show my changes? Anyone know whats up with those 2 things?

BTW I have given up on HDMI and ordered componet wires for everything. It is kind of lame that I had to do this but I blame Comcast and not the 2700, maybe one day Comcast will bless us with a firmware upgrade, until then no deal.

I live in Philly, have the 3412 on which I use component cables (until they learn what Firmware is), and HDMI for my DVD player and have no problems at all with that. The only thing I can think of for that to happen is perhaps they were mistakenly both plugged in to the same input. Most likely not the case - but I can't see why that should happen. I've got conversion on on every setting (DTV, CBL, etc) and it works (and switches) just fine.

As far as the speaker issue, I know the 2700 stores some settings in memory: perhaps the Auto Setup is showing you the old settings and won't refresh until you run it again.
post #457 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
a PM I just got / responded to...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXXX View Post

Hello. Dumb question:

When/where do you see that GUI? It looks like its on a laptop. If thats correct, do you hook up the laptop to the avr, get the gui, assign the settings, then unhook the laptop?

Im a newbie and am trying to figure out what receiver to get. Im leaning towards the 2700.

Thanks.

Buy a RS-232C (serial female 9 pin both ends) null modem cable for 5 bucks. Hook up via com port of your pc. (no com port? buy a usb to com port adapter on ebay cheap)

Install the Receiver Manager app. When you first load it, it takes about a minute or two to load all the configs. It's good for a one time setup, but the onscreen OSD GUI is even easier after that. I love my new 2700, works great with my HTPC via DVI/HDMI, xbox 360 via Component, and also using direct analog multi channel audio inputs for my HTPC.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ceiver+Manager

RXV2700 Receiver Manager software V1.00

RXV2700 Receiver Manager manual

RXV1700 Receiver Manager software V1.00

RXV1700 Receiver Manager manual

You can tweak and watch/listen at the same time if you have a PC or HTPC. It's MUCH easier to type in via keyboard too when it comes to renaming ports etc.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #458 of 5379 Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 PM

I'm serriouslly considering purchasing a 2700, but am concerned with the amount of usable AV inputs. From what I can read in the manual, you can only switch between 6 AV inputs and not do the HDMIs separately. I am also looking at the Pioneer 84 and it can switch between all it's HDMI sources and standard AV inputs for about 10 total AV inputs. Am I correct about the 2700 or am I just a confused newbie?

Also, I've found places, such as Hippo, that have good pricing on the Pioneer and are authorized dealers, but haven't found any place yet for the 2700. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!
post #459 of 5379 Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think that I am going to be pulling the trigger and purchasing this receiver this week. Is there a way to set the volume so that it's more leveled between TV shows and commercials? HD channels seem to have a good 10dbls difference between them.

Edit: Also bi amping the front speakers. How or where would you connect them to the receiver? I have a pair of Axiom Audio M60 speakers and they have two sets of post's on them. I know one set of speaker wires would connect to the front out put on the receiver but where would the other set connect too?
post #460 of 5379 Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post

Edit: Also bi amping the front speakers. How or where would you connect them to the receiver? I have a pair of Axiom Audio M60 speakers and they have two sets of post's on them. I know one set of speaker wires would connect to the front out put on the receiver but where would the other set connect too?

Check page 19 of the manual (there's a link to it a few posts up).
post #461 of 5379 Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtor View Post

Check page 19 of the manual (there's a link to it a few posts up).

I don't see the manual. I only see the Manager manual a couple of post's up. The regular users manual is password protected for some strange reason.
post #462 of 5379 Old 10-31-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post

I don't see the manual. I only see the Manager manual a couple of post's up. The regular users manual is password protected for some strange reason.

You can go to Yamaha's website and setup an account that will allow you to download the manual.
post #463 of 5379 Old 10-31-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtor View Post

You can go to Yamaha's website and setup an account that will allow you to download the manual.

Thanks. I never tried to create an account. I just assumed it was for people who had registered products.
post #464 of 5379 Old 10-31-2006, 11:55 PM

What time of the year does Yamaha generally release their newest models? Is there any rumor of 1080p upconversion in the works?
post #465 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 AM

Has anyone connected a Toshiba HD-A1 (HD DVD) player to the RX-V1700 or 2700 via HDMI? I'm curious to know if anyone has had any HDMI switching or HDCP issues. Thanks!

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
post #466 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM

So....question for all you 2700 owners....I've got a full 7 channel set of Legacy Audio speakers all of which are 4ohms. My current receiver is an RX-V2095 and if I really crank something up when listening to Dolby Dig or DTS and a very loud & deep scene hits, the unit will shut down on me since my fronts can have very very low impedence when some big bass notes hit. Will this receiver handle the load any better?

I would like to be able to use just the receiver for maybe 6 months or so and then I'll probably purchase 2 monoblocks from Outlaw to power my fronts.
post #467 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 AM
hwb

I have an ethernet cable connected directly from my router to my RX-2700. I see the IP address in the set up menu and back through the router I see the MAC address of the RX-2700. But beyond that I don't see how to get any internet radio. I'm primarily Apple on the network but I do have a PC that when I connect with Window Media Connect does not see any devices. Tried unplugging the RX-2700, resetting the firewall in the PC Window Media Connect software. All I really want to do is get Net Radio...any help?
post #468 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Have you been through the rxv2700 menu and selected internet radio? Mine works great for that.

I like you are unable to get wmc to see the 2700. I have selected DHCP to on in the 2700's menu. And when I select internet radio it list's all of the channels and than I can select the one to play. I'm unable to play files from the PC yet. I have the 2700 connected via a wrt54g linksys running dd-wrt as a bridge wireless.
post #469 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Quick question, sorry if it's been covered..

Will the 2700 take a 1080p component input and output it through 1080p hdmi?
post #470 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR800 View Post

Will the 2700 take a 1080p component input and output it through 1080p hdmi?

Don't think it will process a 1080p video signal input to component-video, and thru HDMI OUT (only thru HDMI INP). Although, it will up-scale a 480i signal, for example, to 480p, 1080i, or 720p.
post #471 of 5379 Old 11-01-2006, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post

Has anyone connected a Toshiba HD-A1 (HD DVD) player to the RX-V1700 or 2700 via HDMI? I'm curious to know if anyone has had any HDMI switching or HDCP issues. Thanks!

I have the Toshie and the 2700 and no issues with HDMI at all. Works great!

MY HT BUILD BLOG

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/MarkH

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105927
post #472 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post

I have this combo. the 2700 with the HDA-X1. No problems with Hdmi errors,but I believe this is due more to having the latest firmware update for the Toshiba. I'm using fw 2.0. Another way of avoiding hdmi errors is to select the correct input on the receiver before inserting HDDisc in the player.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #473 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 PM

I ordered this receiver today and should have it on Monday. This thread doesn't get much action but it really seems to be a good thing. Not many complaints on the sound from it.
post #474 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM

So far I can say that the 2700 sounds real nice. I just picked one up from the local tweeter. I didn't have time to run any of the calibration yet, that will have to happen this weekend. I do have to say that I'm underwhelmed by the beefiness of the built-in amplification. I purchased this to replace my older rx-v2095 and that handled my Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's much better and allowed me to drive them to a much higher volume. I started turning this one up listening to a live version of Hotel California and the unit shut off on me well before I expected it to.

I guess I'll have to start saving up for those Outlaw Monoblocks for my fronts alot sooner than planned.
post #475 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 PM

Hey Guys,

I just got my RX-V2700 today. It is replacing my HK 7200. My question is this.... Would I be better off using the amp section of the 7200 and using the 2700 as a Pre/Pro or are the amps in the Yamaha as good or better than the HK?

I know the HK units have very strong amps and want to make sure I am getting the most out of the system.

Btw I am using Axiom speakers all around M60's (Mains) VP150 (Center) QS8's (Surrounds) and a SVS 20-39PC+

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chad
post #476 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSlater21 View Post

Would I be better off using the amp section of the 7200 and using the 2700 as a Pre/Pro or are the amps in the Yamaha as good or better than the HK?

I would definitely prefer to use the Yamaha as is, it has very nice, efficient, amplifiers. I would [only] use a good separate amp along with the RX-V2700 (as pre-pro), something more efficient. Take advantage of the Yamaha's pre-amp section.

The HK 7200 is a very nice receiver, with good, efficient, power (100W X 7). HK specs shows it yields 100W per/chan (all 7 channels driven), and 115W stereo (2 channels driven). However, the popular Sound & Vision review of the Rx-V2600 shows it tested well over 100W per/chan (all channels driven), the RX-V2700 is based on the RX-V2600 amplifier design. So I would say at least equal or better for power.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...ers-page6.html
post #477 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The H/K 7200 probably has a stouter amp section than the RX-V2700 has, but if it's enough of a difference to make it worth the bother of using it with the 2700 is hard to say. Seeing as how the H/K 7200 only has pre-outs and no amp-ins on it, it would not be a simple hook up just to use it's amp section. You would be better off selling the H/K 7200 and picking up a external amp, if you really need more power than what the RX-V2700 has.
post #478 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

However, the popular Sound & Vision review of the Rx-V2600 shows it tested well over 100W per/chan (all channels driven), the RX-V2700 is based on the RX-V2600 amplifier design. So I would say at least equal or better for power.

Yeah and the H/K AVR7200 replacement, the AVR7300, was tested to put out a even higher 145wpc with 5 channels driven and 139wpc with all 7 channels driven. And figure maybe 5wpc less than that for the AVR7200, seeing as the AVR7200 is rated for 100wpc and the 7300 is rated for 110wpc. So I doubt the Yamaha would be as good, let alone better in that department. Also the 119wpc they got for the Yamaha driving 6 channels (and not all channels), was still under Yamaha's own spec of 130w X 7.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...AVR7300lab.pdf

And no, before you even say it. I'm not at all a H/K fan, in fact I don't really like them all that much. But their amp sections are usually very good, and other than for a few of their digital AVR's (the DPR1005 and DPR2005). They often do much better than what their specs are on a all channels driven test.

Now granted having 10-20wpc more on a 8 ohm power test is really not going to make any huge difference either way. But another thing is that H/K AVR's typically are a lot better with 4ohm speakers than most other AVR's are.
post #479 of 5379 Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

their amp sections are usually very good, H/K AVR's typically are a lot better with 4ohm speakers than most other AVR's are.

your right, HK is definitely hefty, and can drive a 4ohm load better. I believe the 7200 is like 62lbs, compared to RX-V2700's 38lbs. But at 8ohms I think the RX-V2700 (which is rated higher output than RX-V2600) will do very good, compared to the HK7200. And, moreover, I would still prefer using a good separate amp, with the RX-V2700 (as pre-pro), to get more efficient power.
post #480 of 5379 Old 11-03-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

I have this combo. the 2700 with the HDA-X1. No problems with Hdmi errors,but I believe this is due more to having the latest firmware update for the Toshiba. I'm using fw 2.0. Another way of avoiding hdmi errors is to select the correct input on the receiver before inserting HDDisc in the player.

Nice - thanks.

Yeah, I just upgraded from 1.4 --> 2.0 last night but am still waiting for my HDMI cable.

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page