AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMark View Post

Can you hook up 2 subs to the 2700 ?
Does the performance drop down by splitting the signal if you can?
Anyone here running 2 ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Mark

Sure, just run a Y splitter from the sub out. There should be no degradation in performance. I only run one sub myself.

Two things to keep in mind running a dual sub system:
1. Make sure you are using a good quality sub cable & splitter (I suggest Monoprice.com)
Cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Splitter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

2. Keep in mind that running two subs can be beneficial in solving certain room deficiencies.
But running a dual sub system can also introduce problems and anomalies as well.
Sub placement and tweaking/calibration can be extra tricky with dual subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5351 Old 06-19-2010, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Can you hook up 2 subs to the 2700 ?
Does the performance drop down by splitting the signal if you can?
Anyone here running 2 ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Mark

Performance should not be affected by splitting the signal. The reason being that inputs have a high impedance so there is little loss.

Voltage will be the same across both cables from the splitter due to Kirkoff's law. Current will halve across both cables, but current is not that important due to the high input impedance.

You could not split indefinitely...but twice should be totally ok.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4983 of 5351 Old 06-19-2010, 05:02 AM

Liked: 10
Awesome. Huge room to fill up with 90% music and this will help as I try to build the perfect mid budget second hand beast. LOL
Great info and thanks!
Mark
post #4984 of 5351 Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

Sure, just run a Y splitter from the sub out. There should be no degradation in performance. I only run one sub myself.

Two things to keep in mind running a dual sub system:
1. Make sure you are using a good quality sub cable & splitter (I suggest Monoprice.com)
Cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Splitter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

2. Keep in mind that running two subs can be beneficial in solving certain room deficiencies.
But running a dual sub system can also introduce problems and anomalies as well.
Sub placement and tweaking/calibration can be extra tricky with dual subs.

Thanks for the links! Perfect.
Mark
post #4985 of 5351 Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Hi fellow RX-v1700 owners.

I'm wondering if someone would do a favor for me. I purchased an open box rx-v1700 from Tweeter before they went out of business. I didn't have a subwoofer for two years so didn't worry about setting up the receiver other than plugging it in. Therefore, I didn't realize that I was missing the YPAO microphone and the fact that I was given a RAV320 remote control rather than the correct RAV360. When I purchased the YPAO mic a few weeks ago to calibrate my subwoofer, I tried to get to the Set Menu feature of the AVR to no avail. It just won't work using the old remote I was given.

To get the the point... I'm wondering if anyone with this receiver and maybe a universal remote would mind shipping the correct RAV360 remote to me so that I can use it for a day or two in order to set up my receiver. As soon as I'm done, I'd gladly send it back asap. I called Yamaha and they won't replace the remote, unless I purchase one for $90.

If anyone can help out, I'd be very thankful and would pay all the shipping. If anyone is in or around Boulder, CO with this AVR and remote I could even come pick it up.

Thanks so much! Hope everyone is enjoying their system!
Adam - Boulder, CO
post #4986 of 5351 Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalgene View Post

........ I purchased an open box rx-v1700 from Tweeter before they went out of business. .......... I didn't realize that I was missing the YPAO microphone and the fact that I was given a RAV320 remote control rather than the correct RAV360. ........ I called Yamaha and they won't replace the remote, unless I purchase one for $90......

Nor should Yamaha replace the remote, it wasn't their fault.
Unfortunately, this is the risk when buying open box items as you may be missing some components or be given the incorrect component.
This same situation has popped up in this thread alone several times.

Another option may be to figure out exactly which buttons you are missing and have someone just program those buttons on a cheap universal remote for you.
Dunno, just thinking out loud.

I do wish you luck either way.
post #4987 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM

Im in process of setting the 2700 up. I about 1/3 of the way thru the nearly 170 pages in the thread. Great info.
I used several HDMI cables thinking Im doing the right thing and since read Zone 2 wouldnt play HDMI connected sources. This was early in the release.
Will I read in later pages this was resolved of is that accurate ? That would hard to believe. Someone tell me when I finally get Zone 2 done I can use all audio sources on HDMI....please. ;-)
Mark
post #4988 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Hate to burst your bubble but it's still true today, Zone playback is limited to analog input sources.
This is a very common limitation for AVR's supporting Zone playback.
post #4989 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It's not something that can be fixed easily.

They could probably support digital if the same source was selected for both zones. If not, it starts to get complicated because, in theory, you would need a DSP for each zone other than main, and HDMI receiver chips only support one stream, so HDMI sources would not work at all.

I think they should consider allowing a zone to play whatever is in the main zone regardless of source, but that I think that would require circuit changes. For some reason, manfacturers don't seem to be allowing this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4990 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 05:17 AM

Wow. So if I switch out all the HDMI cables I just bought I will be able to play a DVD or CD from my Bul-Ray all on Zone 2? How about Zone 2 for Internet Radio or my Time Warner digital cable music ?
Appreciate your info guys....even when it hurts. ;-)
Mark
post #4991 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 07:00 AM

One more dumb question. I have my internet connection going. Input to "Net Radio"....
I get the "pc/musiccast" which buffers and comes up to a spanish 106.7 Ciudad station. ;(
How can I change it and see what else is out there or is it just one selection ?

Also...I cant scroll down to "Internet Radio" which I assume is a different thing.
What am I doing wrong?

I am fairly capable...even set the clock on the VCR for my folks...;-).....but this manual seems pretty vague on a few of these functions. Was this manual ever amended ?

Thanks for all the great help. I have been bitten by the bug and I am determined to figure it all out and set up correctly !

Mark
post #4992 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

For Net Radio make sure the IR remote's "slider" is in the Source position.
You should now be able to navigate to Internet Radio.

I presume you are seeing the Net/USB menu's on your TV?
post #4993 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Wow. So if I switch out all the HDMI cables I just bought I will be able to play a DVD or CD from my Bul-Ray all on Zone 2? How about Zone 2 for Internet Radio or my Time Warner digital cable music ?

Keep the HDMI cables for when you're playing in the main zone, but add an extra analog (red/white) cable for each source you want to play in zone 2. Plug it into the analog input with the same name as the corresponding HDMI cable and then you won't have to do any I/O assignments. Zone 2 will automatically use the analog input.

Internet radio should play in zone 2, but a cable box will also need an extra analog cable.
post #4994 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:

For Net Radio make sure the IR remote's "slider" is in the Source position.
You should now be able to navigate to Internet Radio.

I presume you are seeing the Net/USB menu's on your TV?

Got it !! Thanks !
Of all happy things with a nice system I got WEEI-AM Sports in Boston live which makes me happy. Go Sox. :-)

Mark
post #4995 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Keep the HDMI cables for when you're playing in the main zone, but add an extra analog (red/white) cable for each source you want to play in zone 2. Plug it into the analog input with the same name as the corresponding HDMI cable and then you won't have to do any I/O assignments. Zone 2 will automatically use the analog input.

Internet radio should play in zone 2, but a cable box will also need an extra analog cable.

Great thought. Im learning. Appreciate your patience.
Im still reading this thread from the beginning....wow...lots of great info.
gonna take days for sure. Taking notes.....
Mark
post #4996 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Fast forward thru my reading of the thread...was there ever a firmware update ?
If there was what did it address ? This thing is amazing to me....even in 2010.
Mark
post #4997 of 5351 Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

2700 Resouces on AVSFORUM link incl FW verification
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3846

The latest 0044 FW did have some improved networking connectivity.
post #4998 of 5351 Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:

2700 Resouces on AVSFORUM link incl FW verification
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3846

The latest 0044 FW did have some improved networking connectivity.

Great. You help sure is appreciated.

Got my Internet Radio to play but not seeing the reciever on my laptop so I will check the FW version and upgrade it if needed when my null cables come from Monoprice this week. I suspect it needs upgrading.

I unblocked all the firewalls and dont see it so this upgrade is the next logical step. I have it plugged directly into one of my ports in the back of my wireless linksys modem straight from the 2700. (they are side by side)

Secondarily I will also do want to get it all wireless to my lappy with the reciever manager after I get this FW/connection resolved. That will be handy. :-)

Mark
post #4999 of 5351 Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

...Secondarily I will also do want to get it all wireless to my lappy with the reciever manager after I get this FW/connection resolved.

Not quite sure what you want to do, but Reciever Manager on the 2700 uses an RS-232 connection, not the network.
post #5000 of 5351 Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great. You help sure is appreciated.

Got my Internet Radio to play but not seeing the reciever on my laptop so I will check the FW version and upgrade it if needed when my null cables come from Monoprice this week. I suspect it needs upgrading.

I unblocked all the firewalls and dont see it so this upgrade is the next logical step. I have it plugged directly into one of my ports in the back of my wireless linksys modem straight from the 2700. (they are side by side)

Secondarily I will also do want to get it all wireless to my lappy with the reciever manager after I get this FW/connection resolved. That will be handy. :-)

Mark

I think you are not understanding how the 2700 "networks".
As krik says, Receiver Manager Software is only RS232, no 2700 settings or menu's or adjustments can be done via ethernet.
Your computer will, at best, see the 2700's IP #. There is no control of your 2700 from your computer through your network.
The 2700 can see WMP or Twonky type servers via the OSM > Net/USB > PC

For wireless you might be able to use an ethernet "dongle" that could then communicate with your router over WiFi, or wire 2700 to your router then make your router a "wireless bridge" to another router.
But these are adding in some major possible connection issues.
I'd suggest you keep the 2700 and computer wired to begin with.
Then maybe try your laptop or desktop computer running the server (WMP, Twonky) as WiFi.
The 2700 networking is very slow & klunky even wired, so I'd suggest you start all wired and then get adventurous.
post #5001 of 5351 Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Your exactly right. I think I knew that about 80+ pages back..I was confused. Go figure. ;-) I read all 167 pages in the last few days attempting to not look stupid and ask alot of dumb questions. LOL

I was thinking of adjustments on the 2700 sound setup wireless...which I understand isnt possible. It isnt at all needed but woulda been nice.... but the 232 hookup with the REC MGR is great too for tinkering. Got the null cable on order already!

Mark
post #5002 of 5351 Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

REC MGR is a GREAT tweaking tool, especially for dialing in all of the speakers.
But it's really cumbersome for daily use. For basic operation the IR remote is very well thought out and quite complete.

For Yamaha AVR added control & features over RS232 check out kriks programs:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...484&highlight=
post #5003 of 5351 Old 06-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Got my null cable today. Wont have time til next week to hookem up but look forward to it.

Quick question..not regarding the 232...anyone using the Harmony One with this reciever ? What function limitations is there using it ?

Will the One run the iPod Touch in the yammy YDS11 dock thru this beyond turning it on ? I plan on eventually getting a real digital storage system component (and loading lossless) at some point and it wont matter then I guess....but meantime I wonder if it will work. This is turning into remote central here. lol
Thanks again and again...:-)
Mark
post #5004 of 5351 Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
First, I hope this is the correct thread. I have the Yamaha RX V2700 for about 1 year now. I've had no issues at all. Recently I noticed that the audio will cutout for about 1 second then return. This is more noticable on HD sources, but happens on all. I have 3 different inputs in use via HDMI, DTV, Popcorn, DVD, oh and xbox2360.

The first thing I thought of is that it's getting warmer and we are in a new house, so heat. Well the top is very warm, but it has always been very warm. In looking at the manual, this unit will shutdown if it overheats, so that must not be it.

Anyone else having or had this issue?

I do have a warranty through best buy, so I might just have to go through the hassle and unplug everything and let them test it. I'm sure they have to send it off, so that will suck having my entertainment setup down.

Thanks,

Steve
post #5005 of 5351 Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Got my null cable today. Wont have time til next week to hookem up but look forward to it.

Quick question..not regarding the 232...anyone using the Harmony One with this reciever ? What function limitations is there using it ?

Mark

So I got the cables last week. D/L Rec Mgr....very cool ! On the fly is the way to go. One problem. My laptop has what I thought was a 232 connector plug on the side...not sure what it is...but it has 15 pins...null cable has 9.
Major bummer. Is there a workaround on this ?

Also checked current firmware version thanks to this site. It is looking to be outdated
(Ko52/1044/3.0r) but the russian site wont work. Registered the A/V on Yamaha's site and will find out how to get it from there to update it.

So this sucker does run HOT. Bought 2 variable 110 fans due to the great input here and they dont quite fit on top clearance wise so Im working on that too.

All 3 upgrades Im working on are things I learned here thanks to you all.
I'll get there on all 3 !

Mark
post #5006 of 5351 Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

15 pin is likely a VGA video out. Most newer computers do not have RS232 anymore.
You can buy a USB to RS232 adapter, that's what I use. They can get a bit flaky at times with drivers & such, but it will work.

I've been using very low RPM fans under the 2700 connected to the 2700's AC input on the back. When the 2700 is on so are the cooling fans.
post #5007 of 5351 Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Toby
This is what I got and set up last week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COOLING-FANS-MUL...item53e1b2ac39

Perfect and works great for 32 bucks ! Variable too. Have it switched like you did so it runs with the receiver. Great peice of mind.

Set up the Harmony One remote today. Love that thing already. Sweet unit.

Still have to update the firmware this week. The russian site was down twice.

I did run the YPAO finally and it sounds great although the message came up saying SubWoofer Mismatch ? Aperion speakers and Aperions Sub.?..couldnt find what the message means anywhere and searched it here? Any clue what triggers that ?
Mark
post #5008 of 5351 Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what "sub mismatch" means.
Keep in mind any/all changes you make including YPAO settings will be completely wiped out when you update the FW.
post #5009 of 5351 Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Not sure what "sub mismatch" means.
Keep in mind any/all changes you make including YPAO settings will be completely wiped out when you update the FW.

Great tip Toby. When I get REC MGR up and connected this week is there some way to save the setup on my lappy in that program before I D/L the new firmware ?
Those 2 little fans I posted the link to are working perfect BTW for anyone interested...

Mark
post #5010 of 5351 Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can use RMS to backup & restore any/all settings on the 2700.
I think UPLOAD is from AVR to RMS, and DOWNLOAD is from RMS to AVR. I'd double check the RMS manual to be sure which is which.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page