Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

RX-V2700 FW UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS for 0044 FW version:

0044 file version = R061/L047/4.5r on your 2700

Carefully follow the RX-V2700 firmware instructions to complete the update. If you're
experiencing problems with the firmware update, FIRST refer to the FAQ's listed at the bottom of
the RX-V2700 Firmware update instructions page. Otherwise, contact YAMAHA Electronics
Customer Service Department support line by dialing (800) 292-2982 Monday through Friday
from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST for further assistance.
INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS:
1. Connect the power cable of the main unit to the AC outlet.
2. Please make sure that the MASTER ON/OFF switch is turned OFF.
3. Press the MASTER ON/OFF key of the main unit while simultaneously
pressing the STRAIGHT key of the main unit. Then the ADVANCED SET-UP
mode is activated.
4. Press the NIGHT key of the main unit for about 5 seconds.
5. Turn the PROGRAM know to select USB.
6. Press the NIGHT key on the main unit.
7. Insert the USB flash memory to the USB terminal of the main unit. (Writing of the
firmware is started. It takes about 10 seconds before the writing is started.)
8. When writing of the firmware is completed, the power of the main unit turns
OFF/ON automatically and back to the normal mode.
NOTE:
The Firmware Update process will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Once the update is
complete, the receiver will shut down and then power back on by itself to show completion of the update.
FIRMWARE VERIFICATION CONFIRMATION:
To verify the firmware version, please follow the listed steps below.
1. Please make sure that the MASTER ON/OFF switch is turned OFF.
2. Press the MASTER ON/OFF key of the main unit while simultaneously
pressing the STRAIGHT key of the main unit. Then the ADVANCED SET-UP
mode is activated.
3. Wait 2 minutes while the receiver processes the firmware version.
4. Hold down the Enhanced Button for approximately 5 seconds.
Firmware Version Number is displayed (R061/L047/4.5r). If you see (R061/----/4.5r),
please wait for 2 minutes then re-check. Your RX-V2700 receiver is now updated.

I have the most recent update for my 2700, (RXV2700-0044.bin) and I'm about to following these instructions to perform the update. I was just wondering if I will loose my settings and have to calibrate again?

My 2700 has the original firmware, and I'm not sure what I should expect in terms of changes after the update.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5351 Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchbladeHD View Post

I have the most recent update for my 2700, (RXV2700-0044.bin) and I'm about to following these instructions to perform the update. I was just wondering if I will loose my settings and have to calibrate again?

My 2700 has the original firmware, and I'm not sure what I should expect in terms of changes after the update.

Thanks!

Yes, the update is a complete wipe and reload, all settings will be lost. However, you could use RMS (Receiver Manager Software) via RS232 and backup/restore all of your settings.
There is nothing really earth shattering in the updates, improved network connection, YPAO bug fix, etc.. Whether you need it or will benefit from the update is subjective.
post #5073 of 5351 Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Yes, the update is a complete wipe and reload, all settings will be lost. However, you could use RMS (Receiver Manager Software) via RS232 and backup/restore all of your settings.
There is nothing really earth shattering in the updates, improved network connection, YPAO bug fix, etc.. Whether you need it or will benefit from the update is subjective.

Ok, thanks. I might just wait until I can get access to the back of my unit, so I can use the software to back it up. I really don't want to have to go through and setup the inputs again, kind of a pain.

You confirm what I have read, I can't find anyone that says the firmware upgrade did anything that really helped. My unit is on my network and I can ping it. That said, I plugged it into the network thinking I would gain some features. I don't think having it connected to my network is giving me anything extra. Other than streaming video or audio from a media server to the rxv2700, why would you even need it on the network?

I use unraid and popcorn hour so I don't think I need the network stuff.

Any examples of what else might be gained by connected this to the network? Perhaps to control it via a iPhone app or something?

Thanks!
post #5074 of 5351 Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

No video through the network connection, audio only and very limited at that.
- very few audio codecs supported
- limited media server options (WMP or Windows PC Connect, or an emulator of them)
- limited Internet Radio functionality via vTuner (see below)
- no smart phone connectivity/control (only controls via IR remote, front panel, RS232)

That's about it.

There is some web UI control for Internet Radio via online management:
http://yradio.vtuner.com/setupapp/ya...gin/SignIn.asp
Initial log-in ID # is your AVR’s MAC Address (note: do not use semi-colons in MAC address. 00:00 should be entered as 0000)

Some of the Internet Radio online management benefits:
- Custom Tuned URL’s (though must be MP3 stream) This will add a folder on your Internet Radio GUI called “My Added Stations”
- Simpler / Easier navigation with computer keyboard/mouse than the AVR remote
- Better / Easier stream searching
- Searches display better stream descriptions and list BITRATES (easier to find the better sound quality streams)
post #5075 of 5351 Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
No video through the network connection, audio only and very limited at that.
- very few audio codecs supported
- limited media server options (WMP or Windows PC Connect, or an emulator of them)
- limited Internet Radio functionality via vTuner (see below)
- no smart phone connectivity/control (only controls via IR remote, front panel, RS232)

That's about it.

There is some web UI control for Internet Radio via online management:
http://yradio.vtuner.com/setupapp/ya...gin/SignIn.asp
Initial log-in ID # is your AVR's MAC Address (note: do not use semi-colons in MAC address. 00:00 should be entered as 0000)

Some of the Internet Radio online management benefits:
- Custom Tuned URL's (though must be MP3 stream) This will add a folder on your Internet Radio GUI called My Added Stations
- Simpler / Easier navigation with computer keyboard/mouse than the AVR remote
- Better / Easier stream searching
- Searches display better stream descriptions and list BITRATES (easier to find the better sound quality streams)
wow, kind of a joke isn't it. Thanks for your post and for confirming that connecting my unit to my network was a waste of time. It would seem that the network port is only used for Internet radio, which I do not have anyway. The streaming options are so lame, wouldn't bother with those either.

It would have been nice if there was a web interface so you could configure it with your computer, backup settings, etc. Oh well.

I guess the iphone apps that say they can control Yamaha amps is for newer ones.
post #5076 of 5351 Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup. The 2700 was Yamaha's first attempt at a networking AVR so it is quite lacking in networking features & functionality. Also keep in mind the 2700 is a 6 year old model, that makes it a model T in networking technology. The newer models do a lot more with networking.

Even newer/current AVR models of any brand are still seriously lacking in networking functions and internet services compared to dedicated devices designed specifically for such use. If you want advanced networking, flexible music library access, internet radio, online music services, etc..., no AVR out there can beat a dedicated NMP streaming device. I use the SqueezeBox line of NMP's, but there are many others like Sonos etc..

Clarification on the 2700 networking:
- you do have internet radio if your network has access to the internet
- networking is for both internet radio and playing your digital music collection stored on a computer
Albeit, both in very limited form.
post #5077 of 5351 Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Help with HDMI problem. I have had my RX-V2700 for about 7 or 8 years. I am beginning to have some troubles with the HDMI. It will occasionally drop the HDMI signal. I can turn it off / on and it may work again, or may not.

Suggestions? Send it off for repair? or replace it with?
post #5078 of 5351 Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd try turning off your 2700's Monitor Check.
From your 2700 User Manual go to the ADVANCED SETUP section and turn OFF the Monitor Check function.

Have you tried different HDMI cables, devices, inputs? Tried the same problem cable and device directly to TV?
post #5079 of 5351 Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:

I'd try turning off your 2700's Monitor Check.
From your 2700 User Manual go to the ADVANCED SETUP section and turn OFF the Monitor Check function.

Have you tried different HDMI cables, devices, inputs? Tried the same problem cable and device directly to TV?

I have tried different hdmi cables and going directly to the tv, the problem only happens when going through the 2700. I will turn off the monitor check and retest.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post up results.
post #5080 of 5351 Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Does anyone know if there is a newer version of the Yamaha YDS-10 ipod doc that will play itouch or iphone's with the RX-V1700? I want to be able to stream Pandora!

Any help is appreciated.
post #5081 of 5351 Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

For not much more then what the YDS docks sell for you could have a decent Networked Music Player connected to your 1700.
You will get Pandora and MANY other great services & stations. Plus have access to your entire digital music library right through your network.
post #5082 of 5351 Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:

For not much more then what the YDS docks sell for you could have a decent Networked Music Player connected to your 1700.
You will get Pandora and MANY other great services & stations. Plus have access to your entire digital music library right through your network.

toby, I'm intrigued. Do you have a link that you can post that will take me where I need to go to look into it and find the parts?
post #5083 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post

toby, I'm intrigued. Do you have a link that you can post that will take me where I need to go to look into it and find the parts?

I use the Logitech SqueezeBox line of NMP's in my home.
Their latest player is the Touch @ $299, but you might find a used SqueezeBox 3 (also called the Classic) for closer to $200.
These players can be controlled via smart phones, web UI, IR remote (most models), the player itself.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...wareComparison

There are many makes & models out there from Sonos, Sony, Philips, Apple, and others.
post #5084 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Their latest player is the Touch @ $299, but you might find a used SqueezeBox 3 (also called the Classic) for closer to $200.
These players can be controlled via smart phones, web UI, IR remote (most models), the player itself.

There are many makes & models out there from Sonos, Sony, Philips, Apple, and others.

Thanks for your help so far. Are there any specific specifications that I need to look out for? I see several Sony's on ebay for less than $100.
post #5085 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help so far. Are there any specific specifications that I need to look out for? I see several Sony's on ebay for less than $100.
Well, I'd verify they can at least stream Pandora.
Then I'd look at what other services are supported.
Also the audio outs. For my AVR I would want either digital (optical/coax) or analog (L/R). Many of the lower end NMP's may only have a headphone out mini-plug.

There are several different versions of network devices:
- dedicated NMP device to AMP (or powered speakers)
Make sure it has it's own screen.
- all in one NMP device with it's own speakers, usually limited to mini-plug out to stereo
Limited audio outs, but also is a self contained mobile NMP by itself
- video & audio device, like an AppleTV, XBOX, PS3, RokuHD, PopcornHour, etc..
Great devices but they have no screen, requiring a TV or computer UI or smart phone to control playback

Which Sony are you looking at and can it be used by itself? i.e. Not required that it be connected to a Sony server/base unit?
post #5086 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Here's the one I was talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SMP-N100-Ne...item27b7bd9a54
post #5087 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...wareComparison

Since you are using Apple devices, you should look at the Apple TV. It's around $100. It's tightly integrated with iTunes. You can also use AirPlay to send audio from your iTouch or iPhone wirelessly to the Apple TV.

veni, vidi, vici
You can't understand something until you can measure it with numbers.
post #5088 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's the one I was talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SMP-N100-Ne...item27b7bd9a54

Yeah, that's really a NMT (Network Media Tank) that does audio, video, internet, pics, etc.. like the AppleTV or RokuHD or PopcornHour, and many others.
It will certainly do much more than a NMP.

How do you plan on accessing it to change music, Like/Ban on Pandora, change stations/services?
post #5089 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecubed View Post

Since you are using Apple devices, you should look at the Apple TV. It's around $100. It's tightly integrated with iTunes. You can also use AirPlay to send audio from your iTouch or iPhone wirelessly to the Apple TV.

I was just reading some reviews of the 2nd gen on Amazon, and people are saying that it WON'T stream Pandora. Really all I care about is streaming iTunes and Pandora. I will rarely use things like netflix, if at all.

Quote:

Yeah, that's really a NMT (Network Media Tank) that does audio, video, internet, pics, etc.. like the AppleTV or RokuHD or PopcornHour, and many others.
It will certainly do much more than a NMP.

How do you plan on accessing it to change music, Like/Ban on Pandora, change stations/services?

I just figured my laptop would be used for this purpose since I have a wireless network in the house. All I want to be able to do is play my itunes media and Pandora with the best sound quality possible. That's why I initially wanted the doc, as I figured I could just plug in an itouch and it would play the audio from either my ipod function on my phone or itouch, or from pandora, but I guess it won't.
post #5090 of 5351 Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 PM

What about using the bluetooth capability? Would my iphone stream Pandora through the receiver with a bluetooth connection? I honestly couldn't care less about any on-screen display or anything. It's a nice extra, but in the end, I just want good-quality audio. Connecting it with a headphone to L/R in the front of the receiver will do the job, but it has terrible sound quality.
post #5091 of 5351 Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

BlueTooth: Dunno, but it may be limited to controlling the device not actually streaming.

Sound Quality: Yup, and like anything you get what you pay for. I'd question the sound quality on any multi-media device like the Sony selling for under $100

Apple and no Pandora: Yup, as usual Apple wants to control your content and limit your choices.
post #5092 of 5351 Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

BlueTooth: Dunno, but it may be limited to controlling the device not actually streaming.

Sound Quality: Yup, and like anything you get what you pay for. I'd question the sound quality on any multi-media device like the Sony selling for under $100

Apple and no Pandora: Yup, as usual Apple wants to control your content and limit your choices.

I see there's a few blue ray DVD players that have network capabilities and will stream Pandora. I'm thinking about picking one of these up, and then just keeping an eye out for a used ipod doc on ebay.
post #5093 of 5351 Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see there's a few blue ray DVD players that have network capabilities and will stream Pandora. I'm thinking about picking one of these up, and then just keeping an eye out for a used ipod doc on ebay.

Yup, that's another good way to introduce streaming onto your system.
If you don't mind using your TV to navigate the menu's.
They may offer computer UI or smartphone navigation for those now, I'm not sure.

Enjoy.
post #5094 of 5351 Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovino View Post

Okay, I'm back with information on this issue.

Over the course since I last posted Here's what I discovered.

Putting aside the main zone and its 5.1 options. I was able to set up zone 3 using the tuner or an analog feed from my Dish Network music channels.

I set the output to use the zone 3 amp for "BOTH" SP1 AND SP2, I hooked up the speaker cables to my dining room and then the 2nd set of cables from living room and fired it up.

Music was being produced in both rooms and volume was controlled by the small remote controlling Zone 3. the main amp was shut off and this was what I was trying to accomplish all the while.

In fact, even Yamaha tech support said It wouldn't work like this, yet it works just fine for background or dinner music! I imagine you can also use zone 2 and accomplish the same thing if you so choose.

I have this receiver and moving into a new house soon that has speaker wire run from the family room to the deck. This will allow a pair of outside speakers and I want to be able to play any digital content and not have to run analog into the receiver as well. Do I just need a 2 channel amplifier? I'm not sure what I need to look for to buy to any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #5095 of 5351 Old 10-31-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell View Post

I have this receiver and moving into a new house soon that has speaker wire run from the family room to the deck. This will allow a pair of outside speakers and I want to be able to play any digital content and not have to run analog into the receiver as well. Do I just need a 2 channel amplifier? I'm not sure what I need to look for to buy to any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, if that simple 2 ch amp has digital inputs.

Two things to keep in mind:
1. How will you control volume on the deck?
2. Most devices have both digital & analog outs so you likely could just use your current RX-V x700 for the deck speakers.
post #5096 of 5351 Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Hi All,

I just purchased my first HD TV 60' plasma, and would like to finally hookup this receiver as 5.1 instead of 7.1.

I there a special setting I need to use for this? I also noticed, I hear my rear speakers during my sound test, but during play back of DVD, I rarely hear the rear speakers. Not quite sure if something is wrong or my front speakers are just to over powering.

Front Speakers: Definitive BP30
Center/Sub: Definitive CLR3000, http://www.definitivetech.com/produc...ctid=C/L/R3000
Rear: Definitive Technology UIW BPZ/A

I appreciate any feed back you can give me.

Thanks!
post #5097 of 5351 Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong68 View Post

I just purchased my first HD TV 60' plasma, and would like to finally hookup this receiver as 5.1 instead of 7.1.......

You are going from 7.1 to 5.1? If so you need to get into the units menu UI and turn off the absent surround back speakers. You can also adjust the distance and/or db gain of the surrounds to improve their presence. You can also make the same adjustments in reverse to lower the presence of the fronts, if needed.
post #5098 of 5351 Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 PM

(4 year 2700 owner, 0044 FW) I recently did some AV and remote setup cleanup and stumbled into some functionality with the YDS-11 dock that I did not know about. I had previously just used the receiver/YDS-11 dock without the TV on, but I found that I could get better remote functionality by having the Yamaha's display up on my TV (music menu). The problem I found is that after I initially hit display and get the iPod/iPhone menu on the TV, it displays fine for (for an extended period). But if I select a song from the menu to play, the display loses sync (vertical scroll on the analog out line, display not recognized error over HDMI).

Its seems to be an issue with the OSD generator since its coming across on analog and HDMI outputs. I've tried upscaling turned on and off--no difference. I've searched this forum and google an haven't seen anyone else discussing this kind of issue. Looking for ideas/help. Thanks.
post #5099 of 5351 Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You could try turning off the Monitor Check in Advanced Setup (see owners manual).
post #5100 of 5351 Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Well, by using my component output, navigating the non-ipod/dock OSD menu to the video settings, I was able to screen cap via a digital camera the scrolling display and see that it once I start playing a song, it shifts from 480i output to 576i (which it the PAL/international standard, vs. 480i which is the NTSC standard).

I am thinking that I have found an odd bug in the 0044FW. Request some additional assistance from anyone that can give me an idea on how to either lock my RX-V2700 out to shifting to 576i or any other ideas. I'll continue researching in the meantime.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page