The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 5422 Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgr View Post
Thanks Toby. Unfortunately doesn't always work with this unplug - plug again trick. I may need several times to power on and I believe that maybe this is random something else is wrong. Anyway thanks again

EDIT

Found the problem posting here in case anyone has the same. Cheers

https://www.avforums.com/threads/yam...oblem.1533016/
Great find. That really is a simple fix if you have basic soldering skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5422 Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I am a newbie and looking to buy a receiver. I have a few questions. How good is RX-V1700 nowadays compared to others yamaha receivers 75 series like RX-V675 (easily found in amazon)?

What is the difference between RX-V 1700 - 1800 - 1900? A RX-V1700 price is very affordable nowadays that I am considering to get a refurbished one? Is the RX-V1700 still reliable?

Thanks for reading.
Ted
post #5403 of 5422 Old 04-03-2015, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Compare discontinued Yamaha products:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...8_&mode=paging
post #5404 of 5422 Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What I can see that Rx-V1700 lack compared to newer model is the True HD and some wifi capability. Can those features be altered with any external devices?
post #5405 of 5422 Old 04-03-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Networking is pretty lame for these AVR's anyway, not missing much. Much better off using a dedicated streaming device with many more & much better features/options/codecs/menus/control.

True HD is just another audio codec. Your BD player likely supports True HD and should be able to decode it and send as MPCM/LPCM to the 1700 via HDMI. It's the same audio whether it is decoded by the BD player or AVR.
post #5406 of 5422 Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
Networking is pretty lame for these AVR's anyway, not missing much. Much better off using a dedicated streaming device with many more & much better features/options/codecs/menus/control.

True HD is just another audio codec. Your BD player likely supports True HD and should be able to decode it and send as MPCM/LPCM to the 1700 via HDMI. It's the same audio whether it is decoded by the BD player or AVR.
The RX-V1700 is likely HDMI 1.2a. That might or might not be an issue for you. But consider that this unit was introduced in 2001. A more recent model is probably a better choice unless someone wants to give you this model for free.
post #5407 of 5422 Old 04-05-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
^ The 1700 dates from 2006, not 2001 (just see the first post in this thread), but the point stands: it's old enough that I wouldn't buy one at this stage unless it's almost free.
post #5408 of 5422 Old 04-06-2015, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlplasma View Post
The RX-V1700 is likely HDMI 1.2a. That might or might not be an issue for you. But consider that this unit was introduced in 2001. A more recent model is probably a better choice unless someone wants to give you this model for free.
True, but it wouldn't be an issue for many. If you want 3D or 4K video it could be an issue. Or if you want HDMI networking or Return Audio. The very best lossless codecs are available on HDMI 1.2 as described before, so no loss there.
post #5409 of 5422 Old 04-06-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ The 1700 dates from 2006, not 2001 (just see the first post in this thread), but the point stands: it's old enough that I wouldn't buy one at this stage unless it's almost free.
You are correct. I shouldn't have trusted the date listed on Amazon. It's likely they cloned the description for the RX-V2700 when creating the product page.
post #5410 of 5422 Old 04-24-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbduck View Post
My brother got given one of these Yamaha RX-V2700 receivers by a mate who claimed it stopped putting out sound.
It still functioned but according to him just no sound on any speakers (not sure if he ever tried the headphone socket)
Anyway my brother is not really interested in it and wanted to give it to me but he's taken it to a mate of his first who's a electronics repair guy
Just wondering if you have heard of this problem before or not
Hopefully it's an easy fix
Any recommendations appreciated
posted this 5 pages back (thanks for your reply toby10 ) and only just got the receiver back from the repair guy, who didn't end up looking at it as he was waiting to hear back from his mate who is supposed to be a guru and would probably have known the problem from the top of his head
So this amp has been hibernating for that long.
Connected everything yesterday to do some testing of my own and to my surprise, I had sound
Worked for about 10 minutes then stopped, came back once more after turning the unit off and back on but haven't been able to get it back since.
Even tried a set of headphones but still no sound either.
The other thing I noticed when first testing the unit that the 'L' and 'R' showed up on the front display, but since the sound fail they haven't.
Dry solder joint (or failing part) is starting to look like the culprit?
Another thing I found strange is upon checking the firmware version it comes up with > Firmware K052/L047/0.0Ω
The 0.0Ω seems wrong as most seem to have something like 4.1r
Should this anomaly be a clue as to what I should be looking for?
About to lift the lid on this box to have a look inside for anything obvious
all I have done sofar is reset the presets to no avail
any advice appreciated

EDIT unit just came back to life again
God knows for how long
Looks like an intermittent problem

Last edited by fumbduck; 04-25-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: update
post #5411 of 5422 Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
^ the L and R are input channel indicators, showing that the receiver is seeing stereo input. If they disappear, it's seeing no input and hence you get no output. You could try different inputs to see if they work better (try something digital as well as analog).
post #5412 of 5422 Old 04-25-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ the L and R are input channel indicators, showing that the receiver is seeing stereo input. If they disappear, it's seeing no input and hence you get no output. You could try different inputs to see if they work better (try something digital as well as analog).
thanks for your reply kriktsemaj99
not sure if you saw my last edit to post above (I think we posted around the same time)
apart from rca into AUX and DVD inputs I haven't tried any other sources yet apart from USB
will try and report back
post #5413 of 5422 Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RX-V1800 Overheat (?)

Setup:
Trusty old RX-V1800 in BI-Amp mode with speakers BW CM9s(8Ohm).
Receiver set to "8Ohm min".
Bridges removed from speakers for biamping.
Source is VLC at 100% output level from my PC via optical.

Had VH cranked at -5 or higher in 2ch Stereo mode. Bass at +6.0. Amp cuts off, shows "CH SP wires" and turns off. Let it sit for a few seconds and powered it back on. Everything seems normal, except the top is is *really hot*. I don't have a thermometer, but it was hot enough that I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a second or two. It's not in a cabinet, it's sitting on a desk without anything on top.

I have seen references here to overheating issues...that seems apparent. I won't normally have it that loud and its been running perfectly for a couple of hours with mixed sources at -13 or so. Amp is pretty warm, but I could leave my hand on it indefinitely.
I can put a fan on it, but have I just realistically reached the limit of the amp to drive these speakers?
post #5414 of 5422 Old 04-26-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff View Post
Setup:
Trusty old RX-V1800 in BI-Amp mode with speakers BW CM9s(8Ohm).
Receiver set to "8Ohm min".
Bridges removed from speakers for biamping.
Source is VLC at 100% output level from my PC via optical.

Had VH cranked at -5 or higher in 2ch Stereo mode. Bass at +6.0. Amp cuts off, shows "CH SP wires" and turns off. Let it sit for a few seconds and powered it back on. Everything seems normal, except the top is is *really hot*. I don't have a thermometer, but it was hot enough that I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a second or two. It's not in a cabinet, it's sitting on a desk without anything on top.

I have seen references here to overheating issues...that seems apparent. I won't normally have it that loud and its been running perfectly for a couple of hours with mixed sources at -13 or so. Amp is pretty warm, but I could leave my hand on it indefinitely.
I can put a fan on it, but have I just realistically reached the limit of the amp to drive these speakers?
Try the fan and see what happens. Because that receiver has preouts, you could add a couple of external monoblocks to share the load on the speakers.
post #5415 of 5422 Old 06-08-2015, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I picked up this unit pretty cheap. I don't need it to do much but it seems this thing is more complicated than anything I've ever had before. The complications come from the video.

I seem to have issues with the hdmi in and out. Well mainly the out. Anything I connect I get audio from, bluray, old DVD player, game system, etc. But it seems that I don't get video either way, with the analog or the the hdmi. I called yamaha and they only thing I got from them was maybe it's your hdmi cable so screw it, I'll change it. No luck. So should I returned this thing? I mean I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my small place but I need 2 zones and hdmi or am I doing something wrong?

Yamaha also told me no matter what I should be able to get the menu on my tv screen, no such luck with that either.
post #5416 of 5422 Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbduck View Post
posted this 5 pages back (thanks for your reply toby10 ) and only just got the receiver back from the repair guy, who didn't end up looking at it as he was waiting to hear back from his mate who is supposed to be a guru and would probably have known the problem from the top of his head
So this amp has been hibernating for that long.
Connected everything yesterday to do some testing of my own and to my surprise, I had sound
Worked for about 10 minutes then stopped, came back once more after turning the unit off and back on but haven't been able to get it back since.
Even tried a set of headphones but still no sound either.
The other thing I noticed when first testing the unit that the 'L' and 'R' showed up on the front display, but since the sound fail they haven't.
Dry solder joint (or failing part) is starting to look like the culprit?
Another thing I found strange is upon checking the firmware version it comes up with > Firmware K052/L047/0.0Ω
The 0.0Ω seems wrong as most seem to have something like 4.1r
Should this anomaly be a clue as to what I should be looking for?
About to lift the lid on this box to have a look inside for anything obvious
all I have done sofar is reset the presets to no avail
any advice appreciated

EDIT unit just came back to life again
God knows for how long
Looks like an intermittent problem
Just to give an update
I ended up taking the receiver in to a qualified repairer.
Paid the $70 fee to get it looked at and unfortunately one of the boards needed replacing at a cost of around $800 which was why it was showing 0.0Ω in the firmware specs.
Needless to say it wasn't worth it.
Win some lose some.
post #5417 of 5422 Old 06-09-2015, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksand View Post
.... But it seems that I don't get video either way, with the analog or the the hdmi.....
In the Advanced Setup of the AVR try turning OFF the Monitor Check function. Long shot but an easy and quick (potential) fix for HDMI.

Are the inputs all HDMI when attempting HDMI out to TV?
post #5418 of 5422 Old 06-13-2015, 03:51 AM

hello all.

I had been using avs forum and this thread few years ago when I got my 2700 amplifier here in Japan where I live.
Cut long story short,didnt use it much for watching movies since few years because our now 4yrs old little girl kept me and my wife well occupied.
Now we want to use our family time to watch Disney movies together.My set up is very very simple with just 2 floorstand speakers (JBL) and I have noticed that everytime I use any of DSP cinema enhance modes,the dialogs got very tuned down without any chance to enjoy the movie itself unless increasing the volume to crazy levels.

I have done the tests with DVD player as a source (with 5.1 tracks as well as pure 2ch) and also streaming from my PS3 but I think the rips are mainly 2ch and found out the same problem.
Both are connected to the amp via HDMI.
I have not tried a Bluray with 5.1 tracks yet but I tried a concert DVD and its much better,at least we can hear the singer!

I have also noticed playing teh Disney DVDs that some of the Surround enhanced modes actually bring up the voice of actors or singers more loudly.

Is that all normal and the only way to fix that would be to get a proper 5.1 speakers system or is it simply related to the way the DVD or the streaming rips were encoded sound wise

sorry if this sounds like a noob question

thanks in advance

Olivier

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #5419 of 5422 Old 06-14-2015, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

So the issue is only with "ripped" (copied) DVD's? Using an actual DVD in Straight mode (no Cinema DSP) just standard Dolby from the DVD, work fine?

If yes to both then I would conclude the issue is how these ripped movies were encoded.
post #5420 of 5422 Old 06-19-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
So the issue is only with "ripped" (copied) DVD's? Using an actual DVD in Straight mode (no Cinema DSP) just standard Dolby from the DVD, work fine?

If yes to both then I would conclude the issue is how these ripped movies were encoded.
That's what I thought as well

Oh dear the Disney DVDs are 1000km away from where we live now.
That will teach me a lesson to rip with full audio tracks next time

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #5421 of 5422 Old 06-24-2015, 04:23 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with Yamaha RX-V2700. I have connected my PC to amp using HDMI cable. On the amp display I see information about HDMI connection and also DTS and PCM, but input indicators are showing only left and right channel. Speekers (front + surround + central) are connected properly, because I can hear sample from each one separately when starting tone test. When I play blu-ray DTS movie from PC I hear sound from all speakers but I am worried about indicators of surround and central not light up. Maybe someone has a solution for that? Thanks in advance.
post #5422 of 5422 Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Might be same issue as nolive, bad or incorrect encoding when you ripped the movies.

Sure 2700 is set to STRAIGHT? No DSP's applied? Audio decoding taking place on PC?

Tried connecting an actual Blu-ray and/or DVD player to that same HDMI input? Same results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page