The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5431 of 5449 Old 09-05-2015, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasm View Post
This equipment is in a motorhome so I need to pull gear to get a look at wiring. I got direct working and the dvd player by messing with settings. I think the last thing is an optical for the wdtv player. The directv is connected to a hi definition amplifier that sends the signal to two other tvs so the signal is played by setting input to dtv or sat. both work but only one is surround
Rod
So surround is working as expected from DVD player after changing that players settings. Now you see 5.1 speakers on 1700's front panel. Correct?

I'd suspect the issue is the same with DirectTV, either settings or input type is not digital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 5449 Old 12-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the Yamaha RX-V2700 and it's been great for me, until I went to disconnect my Direct TV cable box and use the new smaller Direct TV cable box and it won't work. I paid Geek Squad $200 to come out and they couldn't get it to work and told me they think it's something with the receiver and I need a new one. I can't believe it would be the receiver because it was working fine before I attempted to switch out the Direct TV cable boxes. They then switched to the component cables so I could at least watch TV but and the receiver and speakers were working, but of course I had to fool with it when they left and I lose audio completely.

So any help would be greatly appreciated, since I am not very good with this stuff, please dumb it down for me with any responses. Thanks!
post #5433 of 5449 Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

So audio & video were working through 2700 using Component video? What audio input is being used? Check to see if the audio input being used is properly selected for that Component input, might have just selected wrong audio input paired with that video input when you were playing with it.

What wouldn't work before on 2700? Video input into 2700 or HDMI video out to TV?

How was the old Direct TV box connected to 2700? For cable/sat TV you should not see any real difference in video quality between HDMI and Component.

Another possible option (depending on your setup), how about doing HDMI from Direct TV box to the TV, and toslink to 2700 for surround (if Direct TV allows this)? This way you have Direct TV audio & video on TV for basic viewing, but also digital surround via 2700 for movies/sports.
post #5434 of 5449 Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the RX-V2700
I have just recently replaced the C4 capacitor after i experienced the wouldn't power on issue.
I worked fine for a couple of weeks but now I have a different error,
it powers down straight after i press the power button
The display illuminates for about 1 second.
I have replaced the C4 capacitor again but this did not solve the issue.
Does anyone know what I can try next?

thanks

Ollie
post #5435 of 5449 Old 12-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Octo View Post
I have the RX-V2700
I have just recently replaced the C4 capacitor after i experienced the wouldn't power on issue.
I worked fine for a couple of weeks but now I have a different error,
it powers down straight after i press the power button
The display illuminates for about 1 second.
I have replaced the C4 capacitor again but this did not solve the issue.
Does anyone know what I can try next?

thanks

Ollie
Check this problem description. It may be helpful.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t276693-yamaha_rx_v1_power
Ollie Octo likes this.
post #5436 of 5449 Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
So it is hard to tell, but it seems my setup doesn't have as much bass/low end as it used to. I thought I would start here for troubleshooting.

I built/setup this system back in 2006 I think.

57" Mitz DLP TV
RX-V2700
Paradigm Cinema 110 CT 5.1
Media PC with a MSI 4550 video card

I now have a different TV, Samsung 65" LED but doubt that makes a difference in sound

So mainly I'm concerned with playing movies from my media PC. I have it connected to my 2700 via HDMI cable to the DVD port. Then 2700 HDMI out to TV. My room is open concept, slightly vaulted ceilings and about 14'x25'. I know someone might say I need a bigger speaker system and that might be true, but I swear when I first set everything up, playing movies like Transformers etc shook the room a lot more.

On my 2700, I have it set to Straight and PCM. The display shows MPCM on a DTS movie for example.

LCR and surround speakers all sound good and seem to work well.

I have tested using THX youtube video and other sound tests from youtube. Unless I turned it way way up, my sub just doesn't seem to hit as hard. On my 2700 I also turned bass all the way to +6 under tone control. On the sub I have messed with its settings and even turning it as low as it will go. I have never played audio really really loud so it shouldn't be blown or damaged from that. Plus I still get some base, just as stated not as much as I recall.

Any idea? I guess other thing that might have changed are video card driver updates but I'm guessing it is just passing audio through the HDMI and my 2700 is handling all that.

My little 5.1 yamaha system on my main computer shakes my office more playing the same movie.

Thanks
post #5437 of 5449 Old 12-16-2015, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd check the speaker crossover settings in the 2700 (crossover & speaker size large/small)
Also check sub controls. (volume & crossover & phase)

What if you play music from your PC? That seem to have more bass emphasis?
post #5438 of 5449 Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
I'd check the speaker crossover settings in the 2700 (crossover & speaker size large/small)

Have you tried recaliberating your system with the receiver's built-in DSP and mic? When you do this, you have to ensure that there is no extraneous noise in the listening area. Even after calibration, you may want to tweak the output to the sub to crossover at lower setting.
post #5439 of 5449 Old 12-17-2015, 12:14 PM

I have run the built in speaker setup before. I think I accessed some sort of built in GUI but not the rec manager.

I downloaded receiver manager 1.0. I can't get it to connect. This might be why I have never used it. I'm using a laptop running windows 8.1. I know the software says it is only compatible with windows 2000 & XP but it runs and see my active COM ports. I'm using a usb to serial adapter. I bought a null modem cable from Fry's because the one I have didn't work. The new one doesn't either. The pin outs don't seem to line up either. Pins 2 & 3 should cross and 7 & 8 with 5 being ground. When I test the store bought unless I'm reading the pins wrong they don't line up like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

PS I use my laptop and usb to serial adapter to connect to all sorts of network devices with no issues, typically Cisco. So I know that part is good.
post #5440 of 5449 Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 PM

I have done updates in the past by loading the software on a thumbdrive and plugging it into the front USB port. There is a specific sequence for loading the update, and it's important to follow it. (Check the user manual.)

The receiver GUI has a setup option for room correcting the audio output. You have to have the microphone installed and positioned in your listening position for it to work. (The mic is part of the unit's standard equipment.)
post #5441 of 5449 Old 12-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlplasma View Post
I have done updates in the past by loading the software on a thumbdrive and plugging it into the front USB port. There is a specific sequence for loading the update, and it's important to follow it. (Check the user manual.)

The receiver GUI has a setup option for room correcting the audio output. You have to have the microphone installed and positioned in your listening position for it to work. (The mic is part of the unit's standard equipment.)
Thanks, but I'm not trying to update the software/firmware at this time. That might be another task.

When I first got the receiver I did do the speaker setup using the microphone you place out in the room. It wasn't using the receiver manager though. I can't recall how I did it.

Either way right now I'm at the point of trying to get the receiver manager to work. I explained above my issues I'm having. I can't really go forward with the settings until I can get connected, so that is what I need help with right now.

Even though nice, this receiver is very old. The more I work on getting it setup the more I'm thinking about just tossing in the towel and getting something newer. Technology has changed a lot since the receiver came out. Most have phone apps to make setting up and controlling a snap.

Thanks
post #5442 of 5449 Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
I'd check the speaker settings in the 2700 (crossover & speaker size large/small)

Zebo, did you try these? Don't need Rec Mgr to check/edit these.
post #5443 of 5449 Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Liked: 10
hello

I am finally adding a center speaker to my set-up but running into a problem.
the speaker is a Pioneer one and came with cables that I used to set it up on the receiver.I did a 1st run to check the sound was outputting as normal and it worked.

afterwards,I tried to play with the audio manual setup,was still working ok so i switched off the amp for a while.

came back few hours later and now there is no sound coming out the center speaker and more weird,the amp is making some kind of low frequency buzzing noise.

any idea what could have gone wrong? the troubleshooting in the manual suggesting cables getting loose so I will try that first but can someone share what else I should look at?

thanks in advance

olivier

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #5444 of 5449 Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 AM

Check to see if you accidentally switched the receiver into Direct mode or changed the audio output to stereo. Also check the speaker cable to the center channel. If your settings are okay, consider swapping out the center channel speaker cable.
post #5445 of 5449 Old 01-18-2016, 02:17 PM

thanks but I had checked this already with no effect. i really hope its the cable supplied with the speaker which is at fault and not the receiver itself.
the noise level dont change if I crank up the volume or change the source but I am very sensitive to noise in general so its getting on my nerves already....

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #5446 of 5449 Old 01-18-2016, 02:18 PM

thanks but I had checked this already with no effect. i really hope its the cable supplied with the speaker which is at fault and not the receiver itself.
the noise level dont change if I crank up the volume or change the source but I am very sensitive to noise in general so its getting on my nerves already....

post #5447 of 5449 Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 PM

fixed my receiver noise by replacing the then crappy cable provided by Pioneer with a proper one. center speaker is back to life and the humming noise is gone!

on a different note,you guys managed to stream mp3 content from windows 8.1/10 PCs? I have tried literally a tenth of different DLNA/UPnP servers with no joy....

it seems that since windows media connect can not be installed on these OSs, its juts is impossible to play content on the receiver from my local network.

if somebody has a solution,I would happily try it!

post #5448 of 5449 Old 01-26-2016, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I believe without Windows Connect (or something that emulates it) it won't work. I'd suggest either using a USB HDD or better yet just buy a streaming player device connected to the AVR.
post #5449 of 5449 Old 06-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Hi. Newbie here. Sad to say but I recently un packed all of my audio equipment from a move in 2012. I had a pretty sweet system in my old house including a a Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver. I finally got around to connecting it and am now having multiple issues:
1. When watching TV through the receiver (I have Dish and HDMI cable is connected to a Joey receiver box) after 10 minutes or so the cable will start to flicker and eventually loose signal
2. While watching a DVD, 1/2 way through a movie I will get a scrambled picture to the point where I can no longer watch the movie.

Never had issues before, so looking for some troubleshooting ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page