The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ooookay. Now I've really got it. Thanks for making more sense than anyone else on this subject. This whole HD disk/sound upgrade is confusing and putting more people off than it's making fans out of. Depending on the reviews of the 2700, I may go with it, or another newer Yamaha than what I currentrly own.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Ooookay. Now I've really got it. Thanks for making more sense than anyone else on this subject. This whole HD disk/sound upgrade is confusing and putting more people off than it's making fans out of. Depending on the reviews of the 2700, I may go with it, or another newer Yamaha than what I currentrly own.

no problem.

yeah, sometimes you gotta dig past the cheerleading and fanboy effects of some members.....but most here are very helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

where did you hear that from?

Yamaha directly.
(I emailed them yesterday)
post #34 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Yamaha's site has been updated with the specs on the 1700 and 2700. I'm impressed, but them my current receiver was built in the 90's. I may pick one of these up after the new year, I just have to decide which one would serve me best.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceiver...00&VNM=WORKING

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #35 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yamaha's site has been updated with the specs on the 1700 and 2700. I'm impressed, but them my current receiver was built in the 90's. I may pick one of these up after the new year, I just have to decide which one would serve me best.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceiver...00&VNM=WORKING

very nice!!

I think I just narrowed it down to this and the 84TSXi......if this thing can be had within $150 of the 84 or so, this seems like a winner to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Whoo hoo!
I got the manual.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Docu...700_manual.pdf

You can adjust speaker levels on the fly.
Page 53 (57 of the pdf)
post #37 of 5369 Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

very nice!!

I think I just narrowed it down to this and the 84TSXi......if this thing can be had within $150 or the 84 or so, this seems like a winner to me

I agree totally. The only receiver I've ever owned is my Yamaha RX-V595a which has served me well. It's been such a positive experience, I'm having trouble looking to another line. The Pioneer 84TSXi looks quite nice, though. I hope someone will do a detailed comparison sometime soon.

post #38 of 5369 Old 09-12-2006, 04:04 PM

Does anyone know if Multichannel PCM signals passed via HDMI (ie: decoded Dolby Digital HD, DTS-HD) will be able to use the Yamaha Cinema DSP programs, or will they only play straight through (without any processing)? I know that the analog multichannel inputs do not run through any processing at all, and I'm hoping this is not the case for digital as well.
post #39 of 5369 Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I see you've bought into the hype...

Yes, but soon everyone will find a reason why you HAVE to have 1.3

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #40 of 5369 Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Isn't that what keeps you in business?
post #41 of 5369 Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

enlighten us, oh thou Schadenfreude.......

post #42 of 5369 Old 09-12-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billip View Post

Does anyone know if Multichannel PCM signals passed via HDMI (ie: decoded Dolby Digital HD, DTS-HD) will be able to use the Yamaha Cinema DSP programs, or will they only play straight through (without any processing)? I know that the analog multichannel inputs do not run through any processing at all, and I'm hoping this is not the case for digital as well.

according to the manual, all external inputs will pass thru the DSP board on the 2700, so they will be able to have cinema DSP/YPAO/etc done to them

post #43 of 5369 Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree totally. The only receiver I've ever owned is my Yamaha RX-V595a which has served me well. It's been such a positive experience, I'm having trouble looking to another line. The Pioneer 84TSXi looks quite nice, though. I hope someone will do a detailed comparison sometime soon.

I'm glad you asked....nothing like going to "test drive" a couple of units to settle the issue

Chasw98 and I went to Tweeter and to a hometheater store to try out a few pre/pros and the pio84, rx2600, and denon 4306, as well as a few high-end Pre/pros.

We tried the Pio 84TSXi vs the Yammy RX-V2600 vs a Krell SCP71 Pre/pro + Krell amp. The tweeter store has the switcher, so we could change sources quickly (although there was about a 2 sec delay before the sound came in between switches.

We first tried just the Pio84 vs 2600, mano a mano.....both sound good but VERY different. The 84 sounded harsher particularly in the highs, but you could tell slightly more details. The 2600 sounded more natural, and less intrusive to the ears.

We then put the Krell on, and it trumped both of them.....obviously, this was expected. But then we switched between the Krell and Pio84, and then krell and Yammy 2600. The 2600 sounded much much closer to the sound of the Krell than did the Pio84. The highs were more natural and the bass more visceral on the yamaha....I would say it was very close to the Krell. This by no means concludes that the Pio 84 is no good, as it was very good in its own right. Also, keep in mind that this is NOT a true direct assesment, as we were not running the Pio and Yammy in pre/pro mode, but straight, so the amplifier sections in each was being used, which affects the sound.

We then went to check out the Anthem D2, and teh Lexicon MC-12.....outsanding machines, but big money....we are talking $6-12K just for the pre/pro

Needless to say, I thinK my decision is set on the reciever side...it's either the Yamaha 2700 when it comes out, or get a cheaper pre/pro like the Outlaw 970 or 990.

ps- I switched the Denon 4306...didn't waste much time on it afterwards, since it sounded worst than the pio or yamaha...

post #44 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

That I know of, only the Yamahas and the ultra-high-end Denons use them.

I think they (presence speakers) are great, and every reviewer that has used them has commented that they really add a whole lot to the surround experience.

On the flip side, I rarely (never) see a review that talks about how great it is to have four surround speakers BEHIND your head (and only 3 up front where all the action is).

I asked this question in the audio setup area, but haven't had any takers. I have a difficult set-up for adding rear speakers to my Klipsch RF-5's, Klipsch sub, and Yamaha RX-V3000. What would the result of adding only the front effects speakers to this set-up be? Yup- 4 speakers up front, none in the rear.

Stupid question or do-able? Anyone with the front effects speakers, think you could maybe disable the rears to see how it sounds?

BTW, my RX-V3000 rocks. Absolutely love this thing, and I'm not using a quarter of it's capability. Really got it as an investment for the next house where we will have a room specifically setup for home theater.

Thanks!
post #45 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 06:31 AM

While I havent actually heard them, my understanding is that the presence speakers add depth to the front soundsatge (and they can also be used to "lift" the dialogue).

So with that said, 5 speakers up front is better than 3 up front, regardless of how you have the rear set up.

Obviously, no rear speakers means no (or very little) soundstage BEHIND you, regardless of how you have the front set up. Yes, its doable, and maybe one of Yammy's DSPs can make up for loss (of rear channels) somewhat.
post #46 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Rider View Post

I haven't been able to find any info on what vertion the HDMI ports will be. I guess it's "posable" to have 1.3... but doughtfull. This Yammie would clean up if they could pull that off.

If you are referring to the RX-V2700, it will support HDMI 1.2a specification, per the Yamaha website and documentation.

Best Regards,

CJB
post #47 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm glad you asked....nothing like going to "test drive" a couple of units to settle the issue

Chasw98 and I went to Tweeter and to a hometheater store to try out a few pre/pros and the pio84, rx2600, and denon 4306, as well as a few high-end Pre/pros.

We tried the Pio 84TSXi vs the Yammy RX-V2600 vs a Krell SCP71 Pre/pro + Krell amp. The tweeter store has the switcher, so we could change sources quickly (although there was about a 2 sec delay before the sound came in between switches.

We first tried just the Pio84 vs 2600, mano a mano.....both sound good but VERY different. The 84 sounded harsher particularly in the highs, but you could tell slightly more details. The 2600 sounded more natural, and less intrusive to the ears.

We then put the Krell on, and it trumped both of them.....obviously, this was expected. But then we switched between the Krell and Pio84, and then krell and Yammy 2600. The 2600 sounded much much closer to the sound of the Krell than did the Pio84. The highs were more natural and the bass more visceral on the yamaha....I would say it was very close to the Krell. This by no means concludes that the Pio 84 is no good, as it was very good in its own right. Also, keep in mind that this is NOT a true direct assesment, as we were not running the Pio and Yammy in pre/pro mode, but straight, so the amplifier sections in each was being used, which affects the sound.

We then went to check out the Anthem D2, and teh Lexicon MC-12.....outsanding machines, but big money....we are talking $6-12K just for the pre/pro

Needless to say, I thinK my decision is set on the reciever side...it's either the Yamaha 2700 when it comes out, or get a cheaper pre/pro like the Outlaw 970 or 990.

ps- I switched the Denon 4306...didn't waste much time on it afterwards, since it sounded worst than the pio or yamaha...

Very cool stuff. Thanks for the info. I think I've decided to go with either the RX-V1700 or 2700 depending on what the reviews say. I'm happy with Yamaha and other audiophiles seem to be generally happy with Yamaha, too. My plan is to wait until after the new year and order my Axiom speakers and pick up the new receiver together. I've done some more hunting for info, and am satisfied that even if I don't buy a receiver with HDMI 1.3, I'll be able to enjoy the next-gen sound format on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Then, after this stupid format war is over, I'll be ready to upgrade my DVD player.

Thanks for the advice!

post #48 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

Whoo hoo!
I got the manual.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Docu...700_manual.pdf

You can adjust speaker levels on the fly.
Page 53 (57 of the pdf)

I went over the manual too and was curious to know if anyone studied this receiver's multi-zone capability.

Based on my reading, in addition to the main zone, you can send stereo signal out to two more zones using the unit's internal amplifiers. The manual suggests by using the unit's internal amplifiers, you do not need a separate amplifier in zone 2 or 3. Please read around pages 130 to 131.

Some people are skeptical when I told them of this multi-zone capability. Anyone familiar with this feature? Thanks.

In Search Of My Dream HD Theatre
post #49 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM

Doesnt every receiver (over $300) have multi-zone capability?
What are they skeptical about?
The third zone?
post #50 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
To bad no I-Link on this unit if you need it, but the new DVD-S2700 also will have HDMI 1.2A.

I am hoping Yamaha will put out at least 2 models higher up than the RX-V2700. I would like it to have a better power amp section and I-Link.

I hope there is some information coming from CEDIA in the next few days. I will be closely monitoring the coverage at Audioholics.
post #51 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

To bad no I-Link on this unit if you need it, but the new DVD-S2700 also will have HDMI 1.2A.

I am hoping Yamaha will put out at least 2 models higher up than the RX-V2700. I would like it to have a better power amp section and I-Link.

I hope there is some information coming from CEDIA in the next few days. I will be closely monitoring the coverage at Audiholics.

yeah, I hear ya.

Although I rather have ethernet, iPod, USB, an extra HDMI input, etc, than I-link....the power I'm not concerned with, as I will be using it purely as a Pre/Pro for my Cinenova Grande 5chl amp.

post #52 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isomdh View Post

I went over the manual too and was curious to know if anyone studied this receiver's multi-zone capability.

Based on my reading, in addition to the main zone, you can send stereo signal out to two more zones using the unit's internal amplifiers. The manual suggests by using the unit's internal amplifiers, you do not need a separate amplifier in zone 2 or 3. Please read around pages 130 to 131.

Some people are skeptical when I told them of this multi-zone capability. Anyone familiar with this feature? Thanks.

Multi-zone for audio is commonplace, and available in many(most?) receivers about $400 or so. The Yamaha 2600/2700, and similarly-priced Denon units, also provide a 2nd zone for video. It is this capability that drives me to the 2600/2700, not 1600/1700. As a side benefit, the "record out" signals also are driven by the 2nd zone on the Yamahas, so I will be able to use a DVD/CD recorder on a source different than the one I am watching/listening, at the same time!

Note, however, that virtually all units only pass analog audio and 480i video (composite) to the second zone, so you must connect analog and composite inputs for any source that you want provided to 2nd zone or record out.

My biggest quandary is whether to wait for the 2700 and pay more, or get a 2600 at a closeout discount.

- Alan
Samsung HL-R6168W, Polk Audio RM7500, Dish DVRs(622/722), Yamaha RX-V2600, Panasonic DMR-EZ17, Panasonic LX600, ChannelMaster 4228, custom HTPC.
post #53 of 5369 Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 PM

Wonder how much its goner be come Xmas.

Darthfunk Mini Review

post #54 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfunk View Post

Wonder how much its goner be come Xmas.

speak engrish?

post #55 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:

speak engrish?

A dearth of English but lots o' Funk.

NAFTA/CAFTA ?
post #56 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:

speak engrish?

Doh basically will there be a price drop come Christmas.

Darthfunk Mini Review

post #57 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Doubtful, especially for authorized retailers.
The 2600 has pretty much been locked in at the same price since its release.

Though, I dont plan on going the "authorized" route.
post #58 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfunk View Post

Doh basically will there be a price drop come Christmas.

No.

it will be released next month (hopefully) which means there will more than likely be no extra price drops in month. Authorized dealers have been given tight rules now, so they are playing by the books unfortunately.

thus, many are going the non-authorized route to save a good chunk of change.

post #59 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I first learned about the Yamaha RX-V2700 on this site and was impressed enough to hold off my purchase of a receiver until it came out. Now I just read about the new Sony strda 3200es which is basically what I expected to be coming out sometime later next year essentially next month. It will support 1080p and blueray (which is Sony's) and I think the HDMI is 1.3 not the 1.1 or 1.2 available now. Now I have yet another delemma. Although my brother has had several top Yamahas over the years and I truly liked the machines I don't know much about Sony's A/V stuff. They do make a very fine high end dvd player though. It just doesn't get easier to take the plunge.
post #60 of 5369 Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

I first learned about the Yamaha RX-V2700 on this site and was impressed enough to hold off my purchase of a receiver until it came out. Now I just read about the new Sony strda 3200es which is basically what I expected to be coming out sometime later next year essentially next month. It will support 1080p and blueray (which is Sony's) and I think the HDMI is 1.3 not the 1.1 or 1.2 available now. Now I have yet another delemma. Although my brother has had several top Yamahas over the years and I truly liked the machines I don't know much about Sony's A/V stuff. They do make a very fine high end dvd player though. It just doesn't get easier to take the plunge.

I see no reference to HDMI 1.3 anywhere, and considering there is no mention of uncompressed TrueHD and DTS-HD featuresets that means it most likely is only 1.2a spec HDMI at the most, otherwise they would specifically mention 1.3 compatibility, as it would be a market 1st and something Sony would capitalize on right away even in the press announcements.

Best Regards,

CJB
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page