The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, it will be HDMI 1.2.
Also, what is "support for Bluray" actually consist of?
There was a lot of fluff in their press release.

From what I have heard, ES (last year's models) reliability and sound quality wasnt exactly top-notch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
After I saw the notice of someone on here posting the info about Yamaha's new 2700, I went to my local UE store and they looked at me like I was being funny, at Yamaha's web site they finially just got the 2700's info up on their site within the last week or so.

With all the hype on 1080P going on, I will wait till they clearence the 2700 or I'll even wait till the next version to come out. I have a older Yamaha with 2 sets of klipsch's RF-7's that shine as it is. But the 2700 is my first choice if I would be going out to buying a nice receiver right now. Who know's, I even get weak like some others and might go on a buying spree some weekend.......
post #63 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

I first learned about the Yamaha RX-V2700 on this site and was impressed enough to hold off my purchase of a receiver until it came out. Now I just read about the new Sony strda 3200es which is basically what I expected to be coming out sometime later next year essentially next month. It will support 1080p and blueray (which is Sony's) and I think the HDMI is 1.3 not the 1.1 or 1.2 available now. Now I have yet another delemma. Although my brother has had several top Yamahas over the years and I truly liked the machines I don't know much about Sony's A/V stuff. They do make a very fine high end dvd player though. It just doesn't get easier to take the plunge.

I feel your pain. It's very confusing to want a new reciever soon, but are having trouble making up your mind because of all the talk of the next format to come out. I've decided to leave all the mess behind and buy the RX-V2700 right after the new year. I know and trust Yamaha receivers, and have always found Sony weak on the audio front. Plus, last night I was watching season 2 of Battlestar Galactica on DVD and was totally enjoying good old 5.1 sound. How can 7.1 delivered through an HDMI 1.3 cable be THAT much better than a good system with clean power? Most of the people I know still think stereo VHS movies sound great.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #64 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
they way I see it, there will always be something better on the horizon.....at that point, you will never buy anything!

so i went ahead and spent money on a kickbutt amplifier (Cinenova Grande 5chl amp), and will go ahead with the 2700. In 2 years when the 2900 has HDMI 1.5, 1440p, blah blah blah, I will sell the 2700 and buy the next thing.
post #65 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You guys are funny. But in all honesty correct. There will always be something better on the horizon and sooner or later one got to bite the bullet. I have to agree you never really hear good things about the Sony line of receivers. The Denons are good but you there's a steep learning curve and frankly I don't have the time. Marantz has a nice receiver minus many bells and whistles though. Of course there's always seperates heheheehe.
post #66 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

they way I see it, there will always be something better on the horizon.....at that point, you will never buy anything!

so i went ahead and spent money on a kickbutt amplifier (Cinenova Grande 5chl amp), and will go ahead with the 2700. In 2 years when the 2900 has HDMI 1.5, 1440p, blah blah blah, I will sell the 2700 and buy the next thing.

I agree, but I also wonder how much better can this next-gen stuff get than what we currently have. VHS to DVD was a huge improvement. Stereo to 5.1 surround was aother huge improvement. 5.1 to 7.1 and DVD to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray I don't see as that great of a leap.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #67 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

I agree, but I also wonder how much better can this next-gen stuff get than what we currently have. VHS to DVD was a huge improvement. Stereo to 5.1 surround was aother huge improvement. 5.1 to 7.1 and DVD to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray I don't see as that great of a leap.

DVD to High Definition not that great????

cant say I agree there ...
post #68 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

they way I see it, there will always be something better i went ahead and spent money on a kickbutt amplifier (Cinenova Grande 5chl amp), and will go ahead with the 2700.

Exactly!.................that's why I'm content with spending the money on a good amplifier/speaker set, along with a current AV receiver (as pre-pro). This way you'll always have good power/sound quality, and you can up-grade AV receivers, every so often, as the latest features and level of DSP and video procesing capabilities makes a major jump in performance.

I think you'll be very happy with the Cinenova Grande 5chl amp/Yamaha RX-V2700 combination.
post #69 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Exactly!.................that's why I'm content with spending the money on a good amplifier/speaker set, along with a current AV receiver (as pre-pro). This way you'll always have good power/sound quality, and you can up-grade AV receivers, every so often, as the latest features and level of DSP and video procesing capabilities makes a major jump in performance.

I think you'll be very happy with the Cinenova Grande 5chl amp/Yamaha RX-V2700 combination.

Indeed!

if this is any indication, and given the several auditions of this amp that I've made, it will be a Nirvana for years to come:
http://hometheatermag.com/poweramplifiers/12

not many pieces of Audio equipment can boast these scores from hometheatermag:

and pair that with this guy for the next couple of years, and I think I'll be in good shape

maybe when I win the lottery, or if an Anthem D2 or Lexicon MC-12HD falls from a truck, I will pick one up, but till then, I'll be content with letting the yammy do all the processing, and letting the Cinenova handle the load....
post #70 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will pick one up, but till then, I'll be content with letting the yammy do all the processing, and letting the Cinenova handle the load....

At least until you come over to visit!
post #71 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangant View Post

Multi-zone for audio is commonplace, and available in many(most?) receivers about $400 or so.

Most have just 2 zones but this has 3. But is it true the 3rd zone is not very useful if the main is setup as 5.1? Zone 2 gets the remaining 2 channels. Seems like wireless is the way to go these days.
Quote:

The Yamaha 2600/2700, and similarly-priced Denon units, also provide a 2nd zone for video. It is this capability that drives me to the 2600/2700, not 1600/1700. As a side benefit, the "record out" signals also are driven by the 2nd zone on the Yamahas, so I will be able to use a DVD/CD recorder on a source different than the one I am watching/listening, at the same time!

I do see the zone for video on the back panel, but does this mean you get it in addition to audio zones 2 & 3? What's confusing to me is exactly what multi-zone means and how to make use of them. Say you are watching on the main over 5.1. Can you pump music to zone 2 or 3 or both at the same time? Plus, pass on same/different video program via video zone 2?
Quote:

My biggest quandary is whether to wait for the 2700 and pay more, or get a 2600 at a closeout discount.

To me, 2700 is worth waiting for several features lacking in 2600: Network-ready, 3 HDMI (V1.2a - newer version) among others.

In Search Of My Dream HD Theatre
post #72 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Indeed!

if this is any indication, and given the several auditions of this amp that I've made, it will be a Nirvana for years to come:
http://hometheatermag.com/poweramplifiers/12

not many pieces of Audio equipment can boast these scores from hometheatermag:

and pair that with this guy for the next couple of years, and I think I'll be in good shape

maybe when I win the lottery, or if an Anthem D2 or Lexicon MC-12HD falls from a truck, I will pick one up, but till then, I'll be content with letting the yammy do all the processing, and letting the Cinenova handle the load....

I've been embarrassed to ask thus far, but your post has made me bite the bullet... What advantage does an amp such as this give?

post #73 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

At least until you come over to visit!

nah... I've heard it
post #74 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 09:01 PM

I have seen a couple of buyer reviews on the net saying that the HDMI's do not work. Apparently, an error message will come up saying your device is not HDCP or something of that nature.

What's the real deal? I have a Mitsu DLP (WD-62525). I want to make sure I don't get stuck. My DSP-A1 has been awesome, but it's time to go HDMI!
post #75 of 5372 Old 09-14-2006, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGator56 View Post

I have seen a couple of buyer reviews on the net saying that the HDMI's do not work. Apparently, an error message will come up saying your device is not HDCP or something of that nature.

What's the real deal? I have a Mitsu DLP (WD-62525). I want to make sure I don't get stuck. My DSP-A1 has been awesome, but it's time to go HDMI!

Usually what happens in this situation is the purchaser has a cable box or a sat. box with HDMI out and connects this to the A/V receiver and the cable box then does not "play nice" because it "sees" a repeater device which with HDCP protocols causes problems. These issues are usually "fixed" by firmware upgrades by the cablebox manufactures or by connecting the boxes via component cables to the receiver.

I do not think that you will be "stuck" per se, however you may need to go component vs. HDMI to get around this issue. YMMV but if you search the other threads people have used this to get around the HDCP issues and have reported that their picture/audio quality have not suffered by doing this. I would not worry about this issue due to a easily applied work around for the problem. I agree that it would be easier with one cable for everything, but not that big of deal IMO.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #76 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGator56 View Post

I have seen a couple of buyer reviews on the net saying that the HDMI's do not work. Apparently, an error message will come up saying your device is not HDCP or something

yeah, that's a fairly "universal" issue with many HDMI receivers. It's [more] of an issue related to cable-box "repeater" problems. I hear this is now being addressed by cable companies, and that boxes, in many regions, are working properly The important thing is having a clean HDMI "hand-shake", all the way through. Moreover, I expect better HDMI behavior in these next receivers, in general, now that some of the "first-generation" bugs have been worked-out.
post #77 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi all. First post here, but I've been reading for a while.
I'm in the process of upgrading my system, and was about to buy the Yamaha 2600. But after reading the info about the 2700, and reading a ton of reviews about different brands/models, I've decided to wait for the 2700.
I spoke to Yamaha a few days ago about availability, and was told it would start shipping late October. Not easy to wait when you want it "NOW". :-)

Jack
post #78 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

I was just looking at the rear picture of this unit on the Yamaha website and was unable to see where the sub-woofer gets connected. Am I missing something?

post #79 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just looking at the rear picture of this unit on the Yamaha website and was unable to see where the sub-woofer gets connected. Am I missing something?

It's there; right above the cd optical input.

Jack
post #80 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

It's there; right above the cd optical input.

Jack

Now, why didn't I see that!?!

Thanks!

post #81 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I wish this thing would have dual sub outs, I will be in the market for a new reciever come xmas and this is one on my list

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #82 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, why didn't I see that!?!

Thanks!

You're welcome. Took me a while to spot it also. heh heh

Jack
post #83 of 5372 Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 PM

I agree. I am considering adding Dr. Hsu's new midbase module to my setup and dual sub outs would simplify things.

Regards,

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I wish this thing would have dual sub outs, I will be in the market for a new reciever come xmas and this is one on my list

post #84 of 5372 Old 09-16-2006, 12:14 AM

I don't understand all the hype around HDMI 1.3 and people waiting to buy anything until devices start shipping with it.

Silicon has just started shipping to vendors which means we won't see devices shipping with 1.3 until November at the earliest (i.e. Sony Playstation 3) and more than likely most devices not until late Q1 early Q2 next year. The main things it provides for are technologies that don't even exist on the immediate roadmaps of most companies today (such as ultra high refresh rate displays and theorectical higher resolution audio formats, when SACD, DVD Audio, BlueRay and HD DVD have yet to even really catch on, muchless having much content available!)

It's all so ridiculous because 90% of people out there are listening to compressed MP3's on their iPods through crappy earbud headphones and watching their DVD's through a composite cable on a regular CRT TV anyway. BlueRay and HD DVD movies have yet to be released in any kind of quantity and people are already worried about future proofing themselves for technologies that don't yet exist!

IMO the RX-V2700 is one of the most technologically advanced and best sounding receivers (assuming the sound is as good or better than 2600) for the money today. When they start shipping in quantity they'll be widely available for under a grand street price. This receiver will hold you over for the next 4-5 years.

By the time things are shipping that even fully support the 1.3 HDMI spec, we'll already be onto 1.4 and 1.5 and so on and people will still be scared to buy because of what might be coming around the corner. Technology is moving so fast, the computer you bought yesterday is going to be a paperweight in a year anyway so just don't worry about it! Current HDMI iterations and implementations are so incompatible with one another there is a good chance that your new $1500 receiver won't even work with your cable box or TV anyway and you'll fall back on the good old trusty component connections!

Enjoy the amazing technology available at insanely affordable prices available to the "common joe" today! If the 2700 came out even one or two years ago, it likely would have had a price tag 4 times as high. Just compare it to Yamaha's own current flagship receiver--talk about cannibalizing your own product line at a quarter of the price!
post #85 of 5372 Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanadev View Post

when SACD, DVD Audio, BlueRay and HD DVD have yet to even really catch on, muchless having much content available!)

Actually, there are a whole lot of titles available on SACD and DVDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanadev View Post

It's all so ridiculous because 90% of people out there are listening to compressed MP3's on their iPods through crappy earbud headphones and watching their DVD's through a composite cable on a regular CRT TV anyway.

The people looking to drop $1000+ on a receiver are not part of that crowd.
post #86 of 5372 Old 09-19-2006, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no news yet on delivery date....just talked to my salesguy
post #87 of 5372 Old 09-19-2006, 06:55 AM

October was the last that I heard - even though another poster amended it to LATE october. I pre-ordered the A2 HD-DVD player, which is due at the end of october also.

Its going to be a long month.
post #88 of 5372 Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

Actually, there are a whole lot of titles available on SACD and DVDA.

The people looking to drop $1000+ on a receiver are not part of that crowd.

Don't be too sure about that

Bill
iPod, 1st generation
Sennheiser 650
Etymotic ER4
post #89 of 5372 Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I was told by Yamaha, by way of e-mail and a phone call, that the 2700 would start shipping late October.
Also, for those concerned about no THX certification, this is from the Yamaha web site's info about the 2700:

CINEMA DSP Digital
Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha CINEMA DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent sound fields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects from ideally located in these separate sound fields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and startlingly realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater! The decoding circuitry performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES (DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1), DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24 decoding with extreme accuracy, as well as all digital sound field processing. A THX Select mode is provided as an extra listening option.

Jack
post #90 of 5372 Old 09-19-2006, 09:38 AM

On a side note, I noticed at Dolby's TrueHD and DD+ CEDIA display (room), they were using a Yamaha receiver (probably the 2600). That speaks volumes for Yamaha's SQ.

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/ced...olbyTrueHD.php
http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/ced...igitalPlus.php
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page