The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got an Oppo 981HD, hooking it to the HDMI DVD port on the 2700 and then out HDMI to my Mits 57831 which is 1080p. The TV is showing it as 480p. I have tested this with King Arthur and the 1st LOTR. Shouldn't it be showing as 1080p?

The Oppo is an upscaling player for those not familiar with it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebo51 View Post

I just got an Oppo 981HD, hooking it to the HDMI DVD port on the 2700 and then out HDMI to my Mits 57831 which is 1080p. The TV is showing it as 480p. I have tested this with King Arthur and the 1st LOTR. Shouldn't it be showing as 1080p?

The Oppo is an upscaling player for those not familiar with it.

Thanks

My Oppo 971 has a DVI button on the remote (last button bottom left) to switch between resolutions. The 981 should have a similar button maybe HDMI ?.
post #1083 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 AM

I am in the process of putting my HT together. My room is 13x24 and I will use it 80/20, HT/Music.

I just unwrapped a brand new 2700. I have Polk LSi 15's on the way. Can anyone tell me if l I need to get a seperate AMP or will the 140 watts from the 2700 be enough?

If I need an amp what is the recomendation.

Derwood
post #1084 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post

My Oppo 971 has a DVI button on the remote (last button bottom left) to switch between resolutions. The 981 should have a similar button maybe HDMI ?.

Bingo, great thanks for the tip.
post #1085 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yeah, you can't beat Yamaha for DSP quality/capability. And, I think the pre-amp section is one of the best on the market right now (in it's class of comparable receivers).

So does this mean that you think that the Yamaha 2700 sounds better, and has better processing as well as a better pre-amp section then the Denon 2807?

Unfortunately it is imposable to test these two out A/B that is for me. I have been able to find a reputable dealer selling the Yamaha for $990. and the Denon for $850. so the price difference is not much at all in this arena.

Technilogicaly speaking what makes the Yamaha a better unit?

Johnny
post #1086 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood1 View Post

I am in the process of putting my HT together. My room is 13x24 and I will use it 80/20, HT/Music.

I just unwrapped a brand new 2700. I have Polk LSi 15's on the way. Can anyone tell me if l I need to get a seperate AMP or will the 140 watts from the 2700 be enough?

If I need an amp what is the recomendation.

Derwood

You're better off determining that on your own. There's several things that will go into that equation besides type of speakers. Like how big your room is, how loud you listen to media, what type of media, how many channels you're running, and are you using a powered sub.

If you are running 5.1 you can bi-amp your mains and set the x-over to reduce the bass frequencies the Yamaha's amps have to produce. This should offer the best results from a dynamic headroom point of view from the amps.

If you don't have a sub and are using your mains for the bass frequencies, then obviously the Yamaha will have to work harder but that might still be OK for your listening levels and room size.

If you are running it in 7 channel in a big room and like to blast it loud - that may be where you might find it wanting.

Of course the other consideration is the sonic signature of the amp you wish to add.
post #1087 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Depends on how loud you play it. If you hit peak sound levels around 90 db and use a sub under 80 hz, the 2700 should be all the power that you need.
post #1088 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500hp View Post

My next door neighbor (who loaned me the NAD amps) has the 2807 and loves it. But, I think he paid about $1100 for it whereas the local HiFi shops have the 2700 for about $1500 so there is a price difference. However, once he heard the 2700 he really liked the DSP in the Yamaha and the all different listening modes. Again, not for me, but he has been around awhile and raves about this Yamaha unit.

Did you not post previously, that you did not like the 2700 saying that it sounded boomy "that it was going back" as compared to the Denon 2600? There are many people who feel that the Denon 2807, sounds as good if not better then the Denon 2600. So, why would you lead me to the Yamaha after saying that you found it to be Boomy in a previous post?

Also, when you say that it sounded Boomy, what did you have the crossover set at for the bass?

Johnny
post #1089 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 04096 View Post

So does this mean that you think that the Yamaha 2700 sounds better, and has better processing as well as a better pre-amp section then the Denon 2807?

Unfortunately it is imposable to test these two out A/B that is for me. I have been able to find a reputable dealer selling the Yamaha for $990. and the Denon for $850. so the price difference is not much at all in this arena.

Technilogicaly speaking what makes the Yamaha a better unit?

Johnny

I'll just add to whatever WestCoastD might respond;

In terms of audio quality and "technology" there's not a lot of difference between the two brands. Out of the box "untouched" the Denons may be a bit more laid back in the top end but once you engage any kind of EQ that pretty much goes out the window.

What you have to do is figure out what's a better "fit" for your application.

I had the 4306 here before I settled on the 2700 and for me the difference was the manual configure-ability of the Yamaha with its 7 band PEQ for all channels and two for the sub.

Also using a 25' HDMI cable to my 1080p PJ I thought the Denon introduced some noise into the video signal. I think it was the length of cable that caused the problem and even then I doubt it would be noticeable on anything under a 60" or 1080p resolution display.

If you're a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, with a set up that would benefit from room EQ I would easily give the nod to the Audyessy in the Denon.

In my case I have an acoustically treated room and don't need much in the way of EQ except to deal with couple of room modes in the bass frequencies. I couldn't manually adjust the Denon to my liking so I went with the Yamaha. The YPAO does a great job of distance and level setting and also picked up and adjusted for the bass peaks & dips I know I had. But I did not like what it did for the upper frequencies OTH the Audyssey did a very good job with the overall frequency range....
post #1090 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
rnrgagne said it better than I could have. I think, both, Denon and Yamaha, are very good. I think you have to really experience listening to their differences with decent speakers. However, I prefer the sound of the Yamaha (RX-V2600 & RX-V2700 in-particular), I love their "natural" sound.

Moreover, I believe the Yamaha system set-up design is very nice (using the GUI). Once you get versed with it's "adjustability" you'll find it wonderful to use.
post #1091 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I'll just add to whatever WestCoastD might respond;

In terms of audio quality and "technology" there's not a lot of difference between the two brands. Out of the box "untouched" the Denons may be a bit more laid back in the top end but once you engage any kind of EQ that pretty much goes out the window.

What you have to do is figure out what's a better "fit" for your application.

If you're a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, with a set up that would benefit from room EQ I would easily give the nod to the Audyessy in the Denon.

In my case I have an acoustically treated room and don't need much in the way of EQ except to deal with couple of room modes in the bass frequencies. I couldn't manually adjust the Denon to my liking so I went with the Yamaha. The YPAO does a great job of distance and level setting and also picked up and adjusted for the bass peaks & dips I know I had. But I did not like what it did for the upper frequencies OTH the Audyssey did a very good job with the overall frequency range....

Hummm, I am not much of a EQ type on the music side of things, and more of a clean two channel person when it comes to music. Although, I do like SACD in multi channel music play back, and I have many 50 or so SACD disc. But, I still do not try, and mess with the play back sound to much at all.

I also like my movies to be involving, and realistic as I am sure everyone does. So, on the movie side I like the digital effects very much, making the Audyssey room EQ sound appealing as well as easy to set up. Although, I do no how to use, and have a sound pressure level meter.

This system will be the second in our home. We currently have an all separates system in the family / theater room. We will be putting this system in our master bedroom 20' x 20'. So the amperage ratting between the two is negated.

I guess that I am looking for the cleaner sounding unit out of the two on the music side of things as well as have good surround effects for movies. Hummm, isn't that what everyone wants? I guess it goes without saying.

The speakers that I plan to use are 2 Axiom M-22 fronts a VP-150 center, and QS8's in the rear, and on the sides. We also will be using an HSU MBM-12 mid bass sub, and a HSU VTF-3 sub together. As well an Oppo 981 DVD player with a Olevia 537 LCD.
Some people have told me that the Axioms are on the bright side, but to my ears they sound clean truthful with great presence and depth as compared to some surround speakers.
I have only listened to them once though, in my separates system, and I thought that they sounded very good for there price point.

Johnny
post #1092 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not much of a EQ type on the music side of things, and more of a clean two channel person when it comes to music. Although, I do like SACD in multi channel music play back

same here, I appreciate listening to, both, two-channel and multi-channel music (SACD's & DVD-A's) in "PURE" mode (no EQ). The Yamaha does it pretty well.

Quote:

I also like my movies to be involving, and realistic as I am sure everyone does. So, on the movie side I like the digital effects very much, making the Audyssey room EQ sound appealing.

same here, the Yamaha does it very good (excellent DSP).
post #1093 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:

rnrgagne said it better than I could have. I think, both, Denon and Yamaha, are very good. I think you have to really experience listening to their differences with decent speakers. However, I prefer the sound of the Yamaha (RX-V2600 & RX-V2700 in-particular), I love their "natural" sound.

Moreover, I believe the Yamaha system set-up design is very nice (using the GUI). Once you get versed with it's "adjustability" you'll find it wonderful to use.

Thank you for the reply. I am leaning in the direction of the Yamaha. There is a considerable weight difference between the two also. With the Yamaha weighing in @ 37.9 pd's and the Denon @ 29.7pd's this could just be the heat sinks of course and the extra wattage in the Yamahas amps. But, it's a lot of weight difference for so little wattage upgrade. I wonder if the Yamaha just plan has better internal parts altogether? Does anyone know what DAC,s are used in the Yamaha? The Denon uses Analog Devices, and not Burr Brown PCM- 1791 as is in the 2806.

Johnny
post #1094 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 01:34 PM

I have been playing around with the network capabilities of this unit over the last day or so. I really like being able to access my computers hard drive through Windows Media Player but I find the Yamaha GUI a bit clumsy and I would prefer to use my computer to choose music / interface with the receiver directly. Is this possible?

I guess I could always make a playlist on the pc and choose it with the remote control, but I wanted to know if there was a way to output music to my speakers directly from the pc, without having to use the remote / GUI on the receiver.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
post #1095 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rkus View Post

The GUI, the ability to fine tune volume playback levels for each input, the ease of tailoring the YPAO adjustments etc, make the 2700 a vastly superior machine when it comes to obtaining the sound and performance you want over the 1700.

Hope that clarifies things.

So, if I read this correctly, the 2700 allow a volume setting for each input, as compared to the 1700 which does not? This would be valuable as I have some inputs that do vary alot

Bob
post #1096 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am leaning in the direction of the Yamaha. There is a considerable weight difference between the two also. With the Yamaha weighing in @ 37.9 pd's and the Denon @ 29.7pd's this could just be the heat sinks of course and the extra wattage in the Yamahas amps. But, it's a lot of weight difference for so little wattage upgrade.

The RX-V2700 is rated @140W per/chan., while the AVR-2807 is rated @110W per/chan. I would say that is a significant power difference, and a resultant weight difference (even though their rating methods vary, and may not be equal in ratio). Obviously, their power-supply's, and heat-sinks, vary significantly in mass.

However, the AVR-4306 is probably more of a better comparison-- power-wise-- to the RX-V2700. The AVR-4306 weighs-in @40.8lbs, and is rated @130W per/chan.

Also, the RX-V2700 incorporates some new mechanical/structural support members for added chassis strength and vibration dampening.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv2700.pdf

Quote:

I wonder if the Yamaha just plan has better internal parts altogether? Does anyone know what DAC,s are used in the Yamaha? The Denon uses Analog Devices, and not Burr Brown PCM- 1791 as is in the 2806.

Both, Denon and Yamaha, use high quality parts, and construction, throughout. Yamaha incorporates Burr Brown DAC's and op-amps. Actually, Analog Devices is a top-notch IC manufacturer.
post #1097 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 03:56 PM

I need help setting up the networking feature. The receiver has an IP, I am running windows media connect and it can see my XBOX but not the yamaha for some reason!

How do I tell the receiver to go to the ethernet port instead of the usb port when I am in USB/NET mode? I get nothing on the screen either just yamaha wallpaper when I switch to USB/NET mode? Im sure i have the output or something wrong.. please help..
post #1098 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:

However, the AVR-4306 is probably more of a better comparison-- power-wise-- to the RX-V2700. The AVR-4306 weighs-in @40.8lbs, and is rated @130W per/chan.

Yes, but the 4306 is a huge jump in $.

Quote:

Also, the RX-V2700 incorporates some new mechanical/structural support members for added chassis strength and vibration dampening.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv2700.pdf

Thank you for the link, great information.

Quote:

Both, Denon and Yamaha, use high quality parts, and construction, throughout. Yamaha incorporates Burr Brown DAC's and op-amps. Actually, Analog Devices is a top-notch IC manufacturer.

This is good information to know. I tend to think that Burr Brown DAC's are the best, but a good name does not always cut it or guarantee that you are getting the best. This market is highly competitive for sure. I guess that I am sold on the Yamaha though, and probably was from the get go. Anyway, I thank you all for the information provided. I have learned allot. This is a great forum with lots of intelligent, informative, helpful people on board. I am looking forward to many visits in the future.

Thanks Again,
Johnny
post #1099 of 5364 Old 12-16-2006, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, but the 4306 is a huge jump in $.

I was only comparing specs (not cost) here.
post #1100 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 04:55 AM

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I need some help with my 2700. I can't seem to get the zone B input to change. It seems to be stuck on the iPod dock. Any guess what I'm doing wrong, or is it a problem with the unit?
post #1101 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wueric View Post

I have been playing around with the network capabilities of this unit over the last day or so. I really like being able to access my computers hard drive through Windows Media Player but I find the Yamaha GUI a bit clumsy and I would prefer to use my computer to choose music / interface with the receiver directly. Is this possible?

I guess I could always make a playlist on the pc and choose it with the remote control, but I wanted to know if there was a way to output music to my speakers directly from the pc, without having to use the remote / GUI on the receiver.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Weuric:
Hi, I was also disappointed in the network interface on the 2700. I searched the net for alternate fixes and found that you could soft mod an XBOX. I had an old XBOX and fell in love with XBMC. Installed the mod and it's the best interface going. You might check out XBMC for your fix also.

Fiat
post #1102 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

HI Bob. Yes - the 2700 allows you adjust volume levels for each input, regardless if they are analog or digital. This is but one of many differences between the 2700 and the 1700. Besides a much better GUI and more indepth setup parameters that allow you to better dial in your system, the other feature I find most useful is the ability to set a "turn on" volume level and a max. volume level. My daughter loves to crawl over to my gear and turn all the knobs etc. so now I no longer need to worry about dangerous volume levels or about actually damaging my speakers.

Regards,
Markus
post #1103 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Markus
post #1104 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 08:21 AM

I am having issues getting this to work. Being from the computer field I figured this would be a no brainer for me. 1st I can't believe I didn't have the right cable laying around. I had two rj45 to serial adapters though, so looking in the rec managers documentation I found the wiring diagram. I created the network cable and tested the pin outs to match the diagram given. No luck.

So this morning I just decided to go out and get a RS-232C null modem cable. Well, radio shack had them, but pins 7 & 8 were straight through. Looking at the diagram these need to be crossed. Of all places Fry's did not even have anything close.

So for those of you that have gotten this to work, what exact cables are you using? There are many types of RS-232 cables.

From this link http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html, the null modem w/ full handshaking is what I need. Can anyone verify the cables they are using also have 7/8 crossed? I know 2/3 need to be but not sure on 7/8.

Thanks
post #1105 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 AM

I am attempting to use an Oppo DVD player with the remote that comes with the RX-V2700.

The remote code is not listed in the manual.

Does any one know if it is possible to use the universal remote with the oppo dvd player?
post #1106 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hummm, I am not much of a EQ type on the music side of things, and more of a clean two channel person when it comes to music. Although, I do like SACD in multi channel music play back, and I have many 50 or so SACD disc. But, I still do not try, and mess with the play back sound to much at all.
Johnny

Neither was I, but after having the Velodyne SMS1 in my system for a while and now the Yamaha with PEQ down to 31hz, I learned what a huge difference that getting the bass "right" does for audio - even two channel. Simply put a flat FR from 200hz down has a huge effect on every facet of the sound spectrum. Even when I listen to redbook CDs in two channel the imaging is precise the sound stage is huge and almost like multi channel. I don't know why, but with a clean bottom end the highs and mids seem to have better definition.

Of all of the things I have done in my system, (too much actually) the combination of treating room acoustics and EQ'ing the bass, blows any component change/upgrade I've made out of the water.
post #1107 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Did you not post previously, that you did not like the 2700 saying that it sounded boomy "that it was going back" as compared to the Denon 2600? There are many people who feel that the Denon 2807, sounds as good if not better then the Denon 2600. So, why would you lead me to the Yamaha after saying that you found it to be Boomy in a previous post?

Also, when you say that it sounded Boomy, what did you have the crossover set at for the bass?

Johnny

I apologize if I was confusing.

There are happy owners of the 2700 on this thread and I don't want to spend any more time outlining what I personally don't like about it.

In terms of the bass, I have Magnepan speakers which are rated down to 80hz (I seem to recall). I have a large room (13 x 28 roughly) so I have two Velodyne SPL 1000R subs driving the crossover at 100hz.
post #1108 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bougth the RX-V1700 today, and im pretty thrilled with it. Finally have a HDMI reciever of my own to go along with my HD DVD player/PS3 and my 1080p.

So the 1700 properly handles 1080p sources huh? I was told that it was a great reciever by a reliable friend at the store, so I grabbed it because it was on sale. What are the praises and downs of this particular unit?

Questions: The BiAmp feature for speakers that support this right? Im guessing this is a no brainer. I dont have them, so I wont use them.

My main question is two parts, the microphone that is along with the reciever... when you do set up for the reciever/speakears for the first time does this just basically do it all for you more or less? Like speaker distances, levels and stuff?

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #1109 of 5364 Old 12-17-2006, 05:54 PM

I have a Mot DCT 6412 III. I am playing around trying to figure out what gives me the best picture. I set the Mot STB to output 720p. It is connected to my 2700 via component, then HDMI to my TV. It will not upscale it to 1080i. If I go into the menu - man setup - video: conversion is set to on, comp I/P is on, HDMI up-scaling is set to "through" and I can't go into it and change it.

The STB can be set as high as 1080i.

Why is it not upscaling for me and/or why can't I set it to?

Thanks
post #1110 of 5364 Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

Questions: The BiAmp feature for speakers that support this right? Im guessing this is a no brainer. I dont have them, so I wont use them.

My main question is two parts, the microphone that is along with the reciever... when you do set up for the reciever/speakears for the first time does this just basically do it all for you more or less? Like speaker distances, levels and stuff?

1. If the main speakers have two pairs of binding posts, instead of one pair, then you can use the bi-amp. I use that for both of my RXV4600 and 2700 (all B&W speakers). Do they sound better with bi-amp? My ears are not trained to tell the difference but if they say it's better then it probaply is.

2. The auto setup does everything. For my RXV4600, it sets my main speakers (B&W Nautilus 805) as "large" and output LFE to both the main speakers and my Velodyne HGS10 subwoofer. That's interesting. I think most folks would set the main speakers as "small" and output LFE to the subwoofer only. I haven't tried the auto setuo for my 2700 yet as I am getting a new subwoofer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page