The Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You need to find a magnolia branch inside a bestbuy store. I dont think bestbuy by itself carries this product. GoodLuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippZopp View Post

damn, maybe i'll try that at my local best buy! see if i can get them to sell it to me for a low price

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm so sorry guys. I didnt mean to upset anybody here. I'm just trying to get some feedback and at the same time share my buying experience with this product.

Hopefully its not a goldstar inside for i'm returning this product right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

USD $990?? At Best Buy?? With a full warranty? It's not a rebranded Goldstar??

I am too distraught to continue with this thread...

post #1623 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

First off let me say that this forum is the best informational forum i have found anywhere. I like how there are no immature people or flamers here (or at least not that many).

I just finished hooking up about a million plugs and wires into my new 2700 and was suprised at how low the volume is on this receiver. I replaced a 4 year old Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver (80w x 6). I used to watch regular cable with the volume level at about -70 and it was pretty loud. Now, with the 2700, i have to go to about -45 to -40 to get the same volume out of the speakers. Is this a normal thing with this receiver? I havent had a chance to do any serious calibration or the YPAO thing yet. Maybe that has something to do with it? Has anyone noticed this with their receiver?
post #1624 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marengo123 View Post

Hi Everyone,

First off let me say that this forum is the best informational forum i have found anywhere. I like how there are no immature people or flamers here (or at least not that many).

I just finished hooking up about a million plugs and wires into my new 2700 and was suprised at how low the volume is on this receiver. I replaced a 4 year old Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver (80w x 6). I used to watch regular cable with the volume level at about -70 and it was pretty loud. Now, with the 2700, i have to go to about -45 to -40 to get the same volume out of the speakers. Is this a normal thing with this receiver? I havent had a chance to do any serious calibration or the YPAO thing yet. Maybe that has something to do with it? Has anyone noticed this with their receiver?

It's normal! When I hooked mine up, I thought it wasn't working, I called Yamaha tech support and he told me to turn up the volume. I was afraid I was going to damage the unit. I'am not fond of the way you have to crank, and crank to get adequate volume.

Ron
post #1625 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Friend of mine tried to get J&R Music to match butterflyphoto price of $1000 on RX-V2700. Best they could do including shipping was $1065 (No tax in GA). Since J&R is an authorized dealer he bought from them. They also have very good service.
post #1626 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Currently very satisfied with my setup, except for a small bass issue I am having. I'm very impressed with the RX-V 2700 and my new GS60s. I was concerned that this combination would be somewhat on the forward/bright side and this has not been the case. What and improvement over my old RX-V596 and CV Fronts. I'm hearing details that were never revealed before. What a delight it has been listening to Diana K, Sting, dts Ent Brazilian Bossa, Sade, etc.

Setup:
RX-V2700
Monitor Audio GS60 Fronts (28Hz-43kHz, 200W, xO1 2.7kHz, xO2150 Hz)
Cerwin Vega Sub (from old system)

For movies, in the interim, I would like to keep my current CV sub. The bass problem occurs though when I am listening in stereo mode without the CV sub. Given the good quality of my fronts I was told to not to use my lower quality sub in stereo mode. Bass without the sub though sounds somwhat on the thin side. My settings are:

Fronts: Large
Bass Out: Fronts

Not sure why I'm having this bass issue. I have tried to fix this problem by rasing Band#1 at approx. 60Hz by about +3db. Bingo, sound is very good now and stereo music sounds fuller, without the bottom end being a little on the thin side. I would have to say with the +3db boost Fronts only sound better than Fronts + SW. However, is this the most effective way to fix my problem? Also when I swithch back to movie mode and turn the sub back on , I figure I will have to go into the EQ settings and lower again by -3dB. Not really something I want to do every time I switch between stereo music and movies. Otherwise I think the bass would be to strong.

I am also planning on bi-amping the fronts. Would this perhaps be a more effective solution? Would a dedicated 2 Ch Amp be the most effective solution. Is the Yamaha basically not capable of amplifiying lower frequencies effectively? Also note that I would like to use Pure Direct mode. Now when I do so, again I find my stereo music somewhat lacking in the bottom end. So what do I do then? Thanks in advance for any help you guys might have to offer.

wolfman
post #1627 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by marengo123 View Post

...was suprised at how low the volume is on this receiver. I replaced a 4 year old Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver (80w x 6). I used to watch regular cable with the volume level at about -70 and it was pretty loud. Now, with the 2700, i have to go to about -45 to -40 to get the same volume out of the speakers. Is this a normal thing with this receiver? I havent had a chance to do any serious calibration or the YPAO thing yet.

Does YPAO make any attempt to normalize 0Db to a reference level? I suspect it doesn't. It seems to set the trims based on the L/R channels.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #1628 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

It's meaningless to compare volume indicator settings for different receivers. The volume range is way to large imo. You can't turn it down quickly with the remote. The other thing I don't like about it is I can't see the volume level from more than about 6' away whereas on my old RX-V1300 I could see it from almost 20'. They don't need to put the word Volume under the numerical display.
post #1629 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm a newB and not the most computer literate. (OK, put me on the short bus) I've been following this and trying to keep up with the info, but I'm finding it hard to go back and find stuff later. This a pretty popular thread

I'm trying to figure out if and how I can play music files from my laptop to the Zone 2 of my 2700. I also wouldn't mind being able to control it with the laptop as well.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like there is a problem with sending a digital signal to zone 2? Would I need a digital to analog converter?

Also control of the 2700 is thru the 232 outlet and not the ethernet connection? So I need an adapter for that?

Any help is appreciated.
post #1630 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and after reading many pages of happy customers i took the plunge and got the 2700 from J&R music and i'm getting it set up.Everything works great except when i hook up the ps3 to the hdmi (the dtv one) when i turn the ps3 on the screen goes all blue.I did unplug the cable and plug in the dvd hdmi cable and it worked fine,i've searched many threads and can't find the answer maybe someone has an idea that will work. Thanks
post #1631 of 5364 Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighammer View Post

I'm a newB and not the most computer literate. (OK, put me on the short bus) I also wouldn't mind being able to control it with the laptop as well.

Also control of the 2700 is thru the 232 outlet and not the ethernet connection? So I need an adapter for that?

Any help is appreciated.

For wireless control start here
post #1632 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamesrb View Post

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and after reading many pages of happy customers i took the plunge and got the 2700 from J&R music and i'm getting it set up.Everything works great except when i hook up the ps3 to the hdmi (the dtv one) when i turn the ps3 on the screen goes all blue.I did unplug the cable and plug in the dvd hdmi cable and it worked fine,i've searched many threads and can't find the answer maybe someone has an idea that will work. Thanks

Your PS3 does not work ok over HDMI, but your DVD player does?
Do you have to change a setting on the PS3 to get it to ouput over HDMI? (I have no clue, I don't own one.) Did you try different HDMI port when plugging in your PS3 besides DTV?

post #1633 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamesrb View Post

I have a PS3 HDMI to the RXV2700, the RXV2700 is hooked up to my Sony RXB2 TV via HDMI too . It works fine.
post #1634 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Yeah, bighammer, I think I've figured it out. I've got S/PDIF coax from my laptop port replicator to the 2700 which sounds great for music from my laptop (I'm also able to use DVI from port replicator to HDMI of 2700 out to projector for basic display purposes--it's not htpc yet or anything). But, as you've also discovered perhaps, that's digital signal and can't go to zone2.

Today I've used 3.5mini to stereo RCA connect headphone jack from the p/r to an anolog input on the 2700. Working right now.

As far as the control, you'll need to do the serial thing or read the previous posts for alternatives.

Good luck,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighammer View Post

I'm a newB and not the most computer literate. (OK, put me on the short bus) I've been following this and trying to keep up with the info, but I'm finding it hard to go back and find stuff later. This a pretty popular thread

I'm trying to figure out if and how I can play music files from my laptop to the Zone 2 of my 2700. I also wouldn't mind being able to control it with the laptop as well.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like there is a problem with sending a digital signal to zone 2? Would I need a digital to analog converter?

Any help is appreciated.

post #1635 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 10:08 AM

I got it figured out, you have to go into settings on the ps3 and change it to hdmi output, but if your tv doesn't support 1080p it won't work, so i had to use the component cables and the receiver upscales it to 1080i and use an optical cable for surround sound, it works great.
post #1636 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can't set the PS3 to output 720p or 1080i?

post #1637 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

You can't set the PS3 to output 720p or 1080i?

You can... the problem I think is if your TV does not support 720 and you are connecting through HDMI. Some examples:

TV supports 1080P - no problem
TV supports 1080i but not 720P (true to some early model HDTV's) - if game is 1080P, it down convert to 1080i - still good PQ

But if the game is 720P, it down convert to 480p and does not up convert to 1080i (this is being discussed at the PS3 forums) and you do not enjoy the 720P of the PS3 game but a mere 480p

One way of going around this is to connect your PS3 through component to your 2700 and let your receiver up convert your 720 game to 1080i=good PQ (that is probably why he is doing this)
post #1638 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 PM

I am considering the 1700/2700 to replace my old almost 8 year old Sony ES A/V receiver. One of the main reasons for wanting to upgrade is my Sony will go into PROTECTOR mode when playing a DVD at a decent sound level (I'm not talking ear splitting). When a sudden loud effect happens the receiver shutdowns down the sound. Hey, it's time to upgrade anyway, right!

My question is has anyone experienced the Yamaha going into protector mode during a loud passage of a movie. One sure fire scene that causes it is the loud lightening bolts near the beginning of War of The Worlds, specifically the one that causes them to run into the house.

STR-DA50ES (120w)
Klipsch RF-3, RC-3, RS-3
M&K Sub MKV75
post #1639 of 5364 Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 PM

I've had an RX-2700 for about 2 months now. It replaces a legacy audio-only Sony receiver. So far so good. The HDMI switching for 3 devices is cool (I'm currently using 2 an Oppo DVD player and Tivo Series 3 HD). Before I took the plunge and purchased the Tivo I was using a Scientific Atlanta (piece of crap) 8300HD DVR which was unable to use the HDMI input on the receiver (the usual HDCP error message would appear). Thankfully, the Tivo doesn't have this issue (nor any of the other 20 annoying aspects of the SA DVR-- did I mention it was a piece of crap?).

In any event, the RX-V2700 sounds great and overall I am pretty satisfied with it. I'm not using any of the additional zone features (hey I just stepped out of the stone age as it is by upgrading from a 1990 receiver). The only issues that I don't like about it are minor-- when using HDMI or component inputs (if the incoming signal is 720P or 1080i) the on screen display (OSD) isn't available. Since the receiver sits back from my seating area a good 10 feet, you can't see the RX-V2700's display to save your life, so the OSD is surely missed. Basically, the only thing that the OSD is displayed on in my configuration is the VCR which I rarely use. When watching a DVD or Tivo (99% of the activity) the OSD isn't available. For volume control the OSD isn't critical but navigating the sound fields is difficult with out being able to see what is set. Granted, if I can figure out how to add discrete IR codes for each of the sound fields to my Harmony remote then I probably wouldn't miss the OSD at all.

The RX-V2700 GUI is decent. The initial setup was a breeze with the auto-calibration mic.

The user manual is not meant for newbies, that is for sure. I'm a tech guy, but not necessarily in the A/V world, and I found it annoying. There are tons of notes at the bottom of each section which you have to sift through to see if that section is even relevent for the components that you are connecting.

Hope that helps somebody out there make an informed choice. If anybody can provide the discrete sound field IR codes (such that I can enter them into a Harmony or send them to the Harmony tech support for them to enter) that would be awesome. I've contacted Yamaha for them and I'm still waiting. The first time they sent me two documents for controlling the unit via the serial interface which isn't even close to what I was asking for. Maybe the 2nd time is the charm.
post #1640 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 AM

My room setup prevents me from easily using the front headphone connection on the V2700. However, in the evenings I would like to switch from my external Klipsch speakers to headphones.

Is there any way to attach headphones to some of my unused audio plugs in the back of the unit?

If I just do a straight plug conversion of RCA to 1/4" it seems like I would lose the ability to control volume in the headset.

Any ideas?

p.s. Also, in a perhaps non-related question I would also like to know if there is a way to plug in my acoustic guitar (which has a pickup in it) into my V2700 as well. I was told by a friend I could do this with a small pre-amp, but not sure if that is accurate or not.
post #1641 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Just got my 2700 and got everything hooked up and configured. Everything is hooked up and working great.

I did run into 2 minor issues that maybe someone knows the solution.

The first problem is that it won't save the audio connection. I tried setting it both via the front panel and in the menu options, but everytime I shut off the unit and power it back on, it gets reset to auto. For most of my equipment auto is ok, but for my Vip622 it doesn't output DD 5.1 over HDMI so I have to keep resetting it to optical.

The second problem is with my old series 1 Tivo. If I connect it using coax for the video it works fine (I have upscaling set to 1080i.) If however, I use Svideo then the hdmi connection to my tv keeps resyncing every 10-20 seconds. I tried turning off the upscaling and it had no affect. Once I changed it to coax it worked, but obviously I'd rather have svideo working.
post #1642 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Just got my new 2700 receiver and hooked it up last night, Dish Network VIP HDMI through the reciver to TV works great. Hooked up my OPPO dvd player to the DVD Hdmi on the back of the 2700 and sometimes I get a picture, sometimes it flashes on and off and sometimes you get sound but no pic. I have tried numerous ways to get the picture to work, from cutting each componet on, one at a time in different order and I thought I had it, but no luck. Any help or input would be greatly apperciated. I have checked all my set-up options but I'm getting kind of frustrated. Thanks.
post #1643 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvic View Post

My local BestBuy/Magnolia is willing to sell this unit for $1,000. Do you think its a good deal? Thanks!

That did not work here in Tampa Florida. they will not match any online competitors prices unless they have a retail store somewhere in the area .
It sounded to good to be true, consider your self lucky for pulling that one for $1,000.00. The best price I've gotten locally has been from one of the "Tweeter" retail stores here in Tampa called "Sound Advice" for $1,440.00 .

JVC HD61FN97 1080p 3-chip D-ILA system TV
post #1644 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar9999 View Post

I've had an RX-2700 for about 2 months now. It replaces a legacy audio-only Sony receiver. So far so good. The HDMI switching for 3 devices is cool (I'm currently using 2 an Oppo DVD player and Tivo Series 3 HD). Before I took the plunge and purchased the Tivo I was using a Scientific Atlanta (piece of crap) 8300HD DVR which was unable to use the HDMI input on the receiver (the usual HDCP error message would appear). Thankfully, the Tivo doesn't have this issue (nor any of the other 20 annoying aspects of the SA DVR-- did I mention it was a piece of crap?).

In any event, the RX-V2700 sounds great and overall I am pretty satisfied with it. I'm not using any of the additional zone features (hey I just stepped out of the stone age as it is by upgrading from a 1990 receiver). The only issues that I don't like about it are minor-- when using HDMI or component inputs (if the incoming signal is 720P or 1080i) the on screen display (OSD) isn't available. Since the receiver sits back from my seating area a good 10 feet, you can't see the RX-V2700's display to save your life, so the OSD is surely missed. Basically, the only thing that the OSD is displayed on in my configuration is the VCR which I rarely use. When watching a DVD or Tivo (99% of the activity) the OSD isn't available. For volume control the OSD isn't critical but navigating the sound fields is difficult with out being able to see what is set. Granted, if I can figure out how to add discrete IR codes for each of the sound fields to my Harmony remote then I probably wouldn't miss the OSD at all.

The RX-V2700 GUI is decent. The initial setup was a breeze with the auto-calibration mic.

The user manual is not meant for newbies, that is for sure. I'm a tech guy, but not necessarily in the A/V world, and I found it annoying. There are tons of notes at the bottom of each section which you have to sift through to see if that section is even relevent for the components that you are connecting.

Hope that helps somebody out there make an informed choice. If anybody can provide the discrete sound field IR codes (such that I can enter them into a Harmony or send them to the Harmony tech support for them to enter) that would be awesome. I've contacted Yamaha for them and I'm still waiting. The first time they sent me two documents for controlling the unit via the serial interface which isn't even close to what I was asking for. Maybe the 2nd time is the charm.

I'm considering the purchase of a Yamaha RX-V2700, and have two questions for you if I may :

1. Can't you output the OSD to the s-video or composite input in your tv, so you can see it by switching to that input? OSD, you mean the GUI right?

2. How about the media connect thru the "network Receiver" feature? I've been reading about it in different forums, and people seem to have mixed feelings about it. I can't seem to get a straight answer .

Thanks!

post #1645 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit36 View Post

That did not work here in Tampa Florida. they will not match any online competitors prices unless they have a retail store somewhere in the area .
It sounded to good to be true, consider your self lucky for pulling that one for $1,000.00. The best price I've gotten locally has been from one of the "Tweeter" retail stores here in Tampa called "Sound Advice" for $1,440.00 .

Try J&R Music. Call the customer service & tell them Best Buy Magnolia will match Butterflyphoto & will you match it also? Butterflyphoto has it for $990 + shipping but NO YAMAHA WARRANTY. Best I got from J&R was $1065 (Excellent deal considering Best Buy will charge tax in GA on top of the $990). They are authorized dealer so you get a REAL Yamaha warranty.
post #1646 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseofhor View Post

Try J&R Music. Call the customer service & tell them Best Buy Magnolia will match Butterflyphoto & will you match it also? Butterflyphoto has it for $990 + shipping but NO YAMAHA WARRANTY. Best I got from J&R was $1065 (Excellent deal considering Best Buy will charge tax in GA on top of the $990). They are authorized dealer so you get a REAL Yamaha warranty.

Was that J&R online, or the retail store ? We don't have any J&R retail stores here in Florida. sO YOU DID BUY IT FOR $1,069.00? That is a smoking deal. J&R website says that is a "in store" only item . Thanks for the info.

post #1647 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post

Just got my new 2700 receiver and hooked it up last night, Dish Network VIP HDMI through the reciver to TV works great. Hooked up my OPPO dvd player to the DVD Hdmi on the back of the 2700 and sometimes I get a picture, sometimes it flashes on and off and sometimes you get sound but no pic. I have tried numerous ways to get the picture to work, from cutting each componet on, one at a time in different order and I thought I had it, but no luck. Any help or input would be greatly apperciated. I have checked all my set-up options but I'm getting kind of frustrated. Thanks.

Sounds like you VIP622 is about to croak bro

The problem is native to the early series, with serial numbers ending (or starting i forgot) in any letter below "E". My "C" and "D" suffered premature HDMI deaths from a design flaw that places the HDMI board in a very poorly vented area of the chassis. You will see more and more of this until one fine day the Mexican dies

These notoriously overheat, so you best give Dish a call and insist on a new receiver, they will send you one with return ship paid. Best get a Targus Chillmat to put under it, it powers right off the USB port.

Now it all above is wrong, you would also get the flicker with your other HDMI sources.

Also bear in mind that Dish 622 only does 2 channel audio on HDMI so you better off with the optical out.

My system:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1648 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit36 View Post

Was that J&R online, or the retail store ? We don't have any J&R retail stores here in Florida. sO YOU DID BUY IT FOR $1,069.00? That is a smoking deal. J&R website says that is a "in store" only item . Thanks for the info.

That is online. Call them. Forget the price they quote online. Call them.
post #1649 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Does anyone have any additional information regarding the often reported apparent incompatibility between some cable boxes (in my case it would be the Scientific Atlanta DVR 8300HD) and the RX-V1700/RX-V2700 when using HDMI between the cable box and the receiver and between the receiver and the TV? I would much prefer not to have to use components and separate audio from the DVR to the receiver. I am about to get an RX-V2700, but this has me seriously concerned. Does anyone know whether the same problem exists with the Denon AVR2807?

TIA for any info.
post #1650 of 5364 Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 PM

Just purchaed a new Yamaha rx-v2700. I have it hooked up to a Dish Network VIP 211 HD Receiver via HDMI cable through the Yamaha out to my LCD display. This works fine. Hooked my OPPO dvd player up via HDMI through my receiver. OPPO logo comes on screen when I switch to DVD on the Yamaha remote, but then flashes off. I can start a movie and I can hear the sound but no picture or sometimes the picture flashes. If I turn one of the componets off and turn it back on sometimes the picture comes on just like it is suppose to. I also have a RCA video out from reciver moniter/out-put to my LCD so I can view the on screen GUI. When i look on the GUI set-up for Video its showing an HDMI Error..I am really puzzeled as to what this could be, any ideas? I double checked all my connections and made sure they were snug and in the right place. Also when I performed the auto speaker set up, it showed the wiring on my center speaker was wrong, I double checked the wiring and it is wired correctly to my receiver. HELP!!!! This is really a nice receiver and I know it must be something I am doing wrong.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page