post #1801 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by breedingamies View Post

Can you use multiple crossover points with the 2700? For example 40Hz for the mains, 80Hz for Center, and 60Hz for surrounds?

Sorry if this has been discussed.

come on does not one of the 1900 posts by people in this thread know the answer? Simple yes or no

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

come on does not one of the 1900 posts by people in this thread know the answer? Simple yes or no

No, but can tell it which speakers to apply the low frequency crossover to (large/small).
post #1803 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I am confused. When I do the Bitstream part of this test, will that be Bitstream over HDMI, or Bitstream of Toslink?? I was thinking I was supposed to use the HDMI cable and then tell it to use Bitstream or PCM over HDMI. Sounds wrong now... ?

In the HDMI output, there are three selections: Auto, PCM, Downmixed PCM, no bitstream. The experts suggest to choose Auto.

Remember, the low LFE issue only happens when HD DVDs are played because the audio is sent in the form of multi channel PCM via HDMI, according to the experts.
post #1804 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Regarding volume levels the MPCM is lower than optical on the A2 (via two receivers) and I have only used HDMI on the PS3 and found the uncompressed audio tracks far louder than the compressed ones.

All and all I see no reason to question how the 1700 handles LFE especially based on how one track or another happens to sound. Unless I'm wrong the receiver is getting MPCM (HDMI) and if the test tones check out fine any issues would have to reside on the content.

I'm a bit confused. You report that LFE output with MPCM is lower than optical but then go on to say there is no reason to questin how the 1700 handles LFE. To me that doesn't sound right - I'd expect the LFE output to be about the same. I do not think the bug is in the A2 because others with the A2 claim they do not have this issue with certain receivers such as the Denon. What am I missing?
post #1805 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

No, but can tell it which speakers to apply the low frequency crossover to (large/small).

I think to apply any crossover the speaker would have to be set to small. So all the speakers would be set to small but what I'm wanting to know is; can you set different crossover points for each speaker?

post #1806 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I think to apply any crossover the speaker would have to be set to small. So all the speakers would be set to small but what I'm wanting to know is; can you set different crossover points for each speaker?

I just got my 2700 2 days ago, and hooked up yesterday morning. AWESOME..

From what it looks like, you can only apply the crossover to the sub. I ran it at 200hz, since I use Def Techs, and they have their own crossover , figured I'd let it get the highest freq range, and let it do its own rolloff...

this thing rocks.
post #1807 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallinski72 View Post

I have Resistance and a 2700 and I have no bars either. All speakers are lit up and I have an indicator to the left that says "pcm". My main window says MPCM but no bars under surround back. I have sound from all 7 speakers.

Thanks, I guess the manual just means that its lit up when in set up mode only... oh well, back to enjoying the sound with no worries about it being proper.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #1808 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Sorry if this is already discussed, I searched but could not find an answer.

I have a 1080p display which only accepts 1080p signals through HDMI. And I have an xbox 360 which only outputs 1080p through component. I was wondering if I connected the xbox360 to the component input of the V1700 if it would pass the 1080p signal out through HDMI.

I recently bought a V1600 which is only advertised to support 1080i, and it doesn't work. And I am thinking of returning the 1600 for the 1700 if it would do what I need.

Thanks!
post #1809 of 5364 Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post

Sorry if this is already discussed, I searched but could not find an answer.

I have a 1080p display which only accepts 1080p signals through HDMI. And I have an xbox 360 which only outputs 1080p through component. I was wondering if I connected the xbox360 to the component input of the V1700 if it would pass the 1080p signal out through HDMI.

I recently bought a V1600 which is only advertised to support 1080i, and it doesn't work. And I am thinking of returning the 1600 for the 1700 if it would do what I need.

Thanks!

The 1700 only takes SD sources like TV signals or DVD at can output them at 720p or 1080i, through HDMI, there is no 1080p support like what you ask about.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #1810 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

The 1700 only takes SD sources like TV signals or DVD at can output them at 720p or 1080i, through HDMI, there is no 1080p support like what you ask about.

How exactly do you set this up? I have been reading trough the manual and can only get the DVD to output at 480p (p scan on DVD player). The DVD is hooked up with component input and optical audio to the receiver. Then HDMI to my Elite.
post #1811 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 AM

How about if my DVD player upconvert the SD DVD to 1080p tru HDMI into the receiver then to the HD display since the receiver's HDMI is 1080p compatible?

Enjoying High Definition Movies in Lossless Audio! Awesome Xperience!
post #1812 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcedar View Post

How exactly do you set this up? I have been reading trough the manual and can only get the DVD to output at 480p (p scan on DVD player). The DVD is hooked up with component input and optical audio to the receiver. Then HDMI to my Elite.

Yes.

To the best of my knowledge, the 1700 can deinterlace from component 480i to HDMI 480p.

If your display is LCD, plasma or DLP it has it's own scaler anyway.

I have the 2700 and can deinterlacer and scale component 480i to 720p or 1080i, but I don't bother. I let my plasma deinterlace and scale the 480i signal. I tried some deinterlacing/scaling options on the 2700 and saw no improvement. So I decided it was best to simply convert the signal to HDMI.

Some TVs won't accept 480i over HDMI, in that case thw 1700's ability to deinterlace to 480p is welcome.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #1813 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DLPNut
There is a problem with these units. I have a 1700. While watching CBSHD Detroit feed from my local cable company during Sunday football games the sound would cut out during commercials. It would usually restore itself when the game came back on. Only during the Sunday games and only on CBS. Through searching I found other people had this problem. More searching led me to a downloadable firmware update found under downloads for the unit on Yamaha's website. I installed it but was not able to check if it cured the problem. No games untill yesterdays Superbowl. It only partially cured it. Instead of complete dropouts it would continuously hiccup throughout the commercials.

OK, one last try. There was alot of discussion on this, can ANYONE answer my question or do I need to check elsewhere? Is this problem an HDMI issue only, or does it occur in the Component switching as well?
post #1814 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Just an FYI for any of the 2700 owners out there... I emailed Yamaha in order to obtain the complete IR command set that the 2700 uses (it also applies to the 1700). After a few attempts, they finally provided a useful PDF. I then provided the PDF to Harmony support such that they could add the complete set to their internal database, which they did.

So for any 2700/Harmony user that wants the receiver put into a specific DSP sound field when an activity is selected, this can now be done. For instance, if you prefer to be in "Movie - Adventure" when watching DVD's you can now so. Previously, Harmony only supported the generic categories "Movie", "Entertainment", "Classical", etc) for cycling through the choices, rather than the discrete specific modes ("Entertainment - Sports").

I requested this originally because of the OSD issues that the RX-V2700 has (ie. it's unavailable for me in almost every situation) and the inability to see the receiver's text beyond 2 feet from the unit. Hopefully this will be useful to others as well.
post #1815 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K929RR View Post

Originally Posted by DLPNut
There is a problem with these units. I have a 1700. While watching CBSHD Detroit feed from my local cable company during Sunday football games the sound would cut out during commercials. It would usually restore itself when the game came back on. Only during the Sunday games and only on CBS. Through searching I found other people had this problem. More searching led me to a downloadable firmware update found under downloads for the unit on Yamaha's website. I installed it but was not able to check if it cured the problem. No games untill yesterdays Superbowl. It only partially cured it. Instead of complete dropouts it would continuously hiccup throughout the commercials.

OK, one last try. There was alot of discussion on this, can ANYONE answer my question or do I need to check elsewhere? Is this problem an HDMI issue only, or does it occur in the Component switching as well?

Both my neighbor and I have this problem as well. We both have the 1700, a pioneer plasma, and Comcast (SA8300HD DVR). Running HDMI from the cable box to the 1700 and from there to the TV, I have this problem. Straight to TV via component no problem. (I have not tried HDMI straight to TV as I do not have that set up)
post #1816 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM

I have the Yamaha 2700 connected to my Linksys router using a Linksys wireless ethernet bridge at the A/V receiver ethernet port. I am able to connect to the internet radio feature and it works fine but I cannot connect to the PC/MusicCast feature it just says server with o/o at the bottom. When I go into Media Player 11 Media sharing there is not devices listed in the large box under "Share My Media To". How do I populate this box to recognize the Yamaha?

Thanks for any help.

PRM in SC
post #1817 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 PM

I have a 6.1 speaker set up plus two outdoor speakers hooked up as the B speakers. Looking at the Yamaha web site at the rear panel of the 2700, it doesn't look like this receiver would support a center rear channel and two outdoor speakers without an additional amplifier. Is that correct?
post #1818 of 5364 Old 02-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmonson View Post

I have the Yamaha 2700 connected to my Linksys router using a Linksys wireless ethernet bridge at the A/V receiver ethernet port. I am able to connect to the internet radio feature and it works fine but I cannot connect to the PC/MusicCast feature it just says server with o/o at the bottom. When I go into Media Player 11 Media sharing there is not devices listed in the large box under "Share My Media To". How do I populate this box to recognize the Yamaha?

Thanks for any help.

For me it just worked.

If you haven't already, in Media Player, select Library, Media Sharing, Share my media... Settings and "Allow new devices and computers automatically"
post #1819 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 View Post

I have an A2 HD DVD player and a 2700. Some folks suggest to set the A2's optical output to "Bitstream" (even if you use HMDI only), and the HDMI output to "Auto". My 2700 has the LFE issue with the A2 (only when playing HD DVDs), but it works great with the PS3.

I might be missing something but the RX V-2700 has several setup memories, two of which can be accessed from the remote. To solve the LFE boost problem, couldn't you set memory 1 for your normal setup and set memory 2 with the Sub level 10db higher? Let me know if I am way off base.

Occam's Razor: All things being equal, the simplest theory is usually correct.
post #1820 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger View Post

I might be missing something but the RX V-2700 has several setup memories, two of which can be accessed from the remote. To solve the LFE boost problem, couldn't you set memory 1 for your normal setup and set memory 2 with the Sub level 10db higher? Let me know if I am way off base.

The problem is, the low LFE issue only occures when the Toshiba A2 plays HD DVD, it's fine with standard DVDs. I too thought about lowering all channels, (except the LFE) by 10 db to achieve the balance and use the setting memory function for A2 source, but the balance will be out of whack when the same player plays standard DVDs.

I know some fellow forum members have Toshiba HD DVD players and they work fine with their 2700. I have no idea what's going on with mine.
post #1821 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:

The problem is, the low LFE issue only occures when the Toshiba A2 plays HD DVD, it's fine with standard DVDs. I too thought about lowering all channels, (except the LFE) by 10 db to achieve the balance and use the setting memory function for A2 source, but the balance will be out of whack when the same player plays standard DVDs.

I know some fellow forum members have Toshiba HD DVD players and they work fine with their 2700. I have no idea what's going on with mine.

Yes I agree, but I was refering to the 2700 settings.

After reading the posts here I called Yamaha and they said multi channel PCM would transfer straight to the amps at the received level and to just boost the Sub level in the receiver to compensate if there was a problem. I figured you could save the normal and boosted settings to Mem 1 and Mem 2 and change on the fly from the remote. Just a thought.

Occam's Razor: All things being equal, the simplest theory is usually correct.
post #1822 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How soon after the 2700 was released did you purchase it? Did you get one of the first ones? Maybe they corrected the problem at some point and the later ones off the assembly line do not have it - probably not the case but just a thought.

I just got finished with some detailed testing of the LFE on the 1700. See the results here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9724368

Although the levels check was done with a standard def DVD, KMO responded that its doesn't matter if its a standard def or HD DVD and to not worry about that throwing off the test. So something odd must be going on if you only have the issue with HD DVDs.

Furthermore I tested "by ear" with the HD DVD King Kong and there were definite LFE spikes about 100dB when I had my meter next to the sub. You can read my detailed findings at that post.
post #1823 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I don't think this works if someone has their speakers set to Small (which is the THX recommendation and how many people go). This is because he would wind up boosting the non-LFE base being redirecting by the sub. So although the LFE channel from the sub would be in balance, the non-LFE bass from the sub would then be +10dB to hot. At least that's how I understand it.
post #1824 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 AM

I just love the fact that with the 2700 I can have everything hooked up (Time Warner DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Original Xbox) and have it all come out of one HDMI cable into the projector.

Nice. Clean. Simple.
post #1825 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Yes I agree, but I was refering to the 2700 settings.

After reading the posts here I called Yamaha and they said multi channel PCM would transfer straight to the amps at the received level and to just boost the Sub level in the receiver to compensate if there was a problem. I figured you could save the normal and boosted settings to Mem 1 and Mem 2 and change on the fly from the remote. Just a thought.

Hmmm... I will try that. Thanks.
post #1826 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:

How soon after the 2700 was released did you purchase it? Did you get one of the first ones? Maybe they corrected the problem at some point and the later ones off the assembly line do not have it - probably not the case but just a thought. .

I bought mine around mid Nov. when it was first released. Thanks for doing the experiment.
post #1827 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, another possibility I suppose is that maybe the 2700 has the issue, whereas the 1700 does not. We are pretty much assuming that the 1700 and 2700 is identical except for the 2700's extra features, but perhaps there is an issue there. Unlikely, but thought I should mention it. Afterall I ran my tests on a 1700 not a 2700.
post #1828 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How soon after the 2700 was released did you purchase it? Did you get one of the first ones? Maybe they corrected the problem at some point and the later ones off the assembly line do not have it - probably not the case but just a thought.

I just got finished with some detailed testing of the LFE on the 1700. See the results here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9724368

Although the levels check was done with a standard def DVD, KMO responded that its doesn't matter if its a standard def or HD DVD and to not worry about that throwing off the test. So something odd must be going on if you only have the issue with HD DVDs.

Furthermore I tested "by ear" with the HD DVD King Kong and there were definite LFE spikes about 100dB when I had my meter next to the sub. You can read my detailed findings at that post.

Thank you for posting the results from your careful evaluation of the 1700 with the Toshiba HD-A2. Based on what I've read here and from what Bob Pariseau has to say about HDMI 1.3, I too will go ahead and spend roughly 4 times as much as what I did for the Panasonic XR55 on a 1700. I realize that what I'm buying is not necessarily better SQ and power but a fully functional HDMI 1.2a input for a PS3 and 8-channel analog inputs for an Asus P5B based HTPC. I wish that the all sound processing/decoding could be done by software in the PC and then sent 8-channel analog out to a 7-channel amplifier/subwoofer.
post #1829 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Thanks lovingdvd for the test result & effort!

Also after reading the "WHAT HIFI Awards 2006" UK edition, Yamaha RX-V1600 received the best surround receiver for under 1,000 sterling pounds with a complete 5-star verdict, I'm now convinced this is the right receiver for me to replace my old obsolete AVR.

Enjoying High Definition Movies in Lossless Audio! Awesome Xperience!
post #1830 of 5364 Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchin2 View Post

Thanks lovingdvd for the test result & effort!

Also after reading the "WHAT HIFI Awards 2006" UK edition, Yamaha RX-V1600 received the best surround receiver for under 1,000 sterling pounds with a complete 5-star verdict, I'm now convinced this is the right receiver for me to replace my old obsolete AVR.

Yea I know, I'm feeling the same way about wanting to get the 1700. However then I think 'well its just another few hundred $ street to get the 2700...' so I can pick up the 3rd HDMI input.

So now I'm looking at a pretty good size investment to get the 2700. I don't mind, but this means I should be prepared to have this receiver for at least a few years.

However looking ahead I am already starting to hear about the Denon 08 series that will debut supposedly around summer time. This unit may be priced similar to the 2700, except will have *FOUR* HDMI inputs and support HDMI 1.3.

Yea I know HDMI 1.3 isn't real important NOW. However a couple years down the road when we have Deep Color sources I don't want to have to replace the receiver because its HDMI means I can't use Deep Color.

So since summer time really isn't that far off, I'm thinking maybe I should wait. And since I prefer Yamaha, perhaps they'll have their 1.3 HDMI receiver available around then too.

Yes I know, there's always something better around the corner, but this is a bit different because from a video perspective (not necessarily audio perspective, I think 1.3 HDMI is important looking forward a couple years).

Well at any rate, if anyone knows how I can go about getting a great price on the 1700/2700 from an authorized dealer, please send me a PM. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page