post #181 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kramer View Post

I got my 54TX from Scott also. I'll bet they sell lots of Pioneers.

I might have tripped them up with my Yamaha order.

out of curiosity, did he try to talk you out of it at all? probably not since he had it in stock. i've personally never owned either brand before. i'm hoping i made the right choice. he commented to me that if i wasn't happy with the 84, i wouldn't be happy with anything and went on to say he actually owned the 84 and was very pleased with it. i'm sure there both pretty good receivers. i just couldn't justify spending the extra dough on the yamaha and i'd probably never use some of the niftier features like the network jack since i use htpc via optical already anyway. he did gracefuly give his opinion regarding pioneer versus yamaha though. again, it's possible invetory played a part in his recommendation, who knows. we'll see i suppose. at this point replacing my marantz that keeps turning itself off is a priority so i'm sure the 84 will sound great. be sure and let me know what you think of the 2700 via this thread or even pm me if you would. i'd appreciate it.

"the one who has the most fun wins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read RX-V2700 manual and receiving music data from PC over ethernet is F**King cool. Those of us who do not have PC with a decent sound card would save some $$$ on this (actually a lot of $$ if you happened to have older PC..).

Also, Compressed Music Enhancer where it regenerates missing sound bits in MP3 and play them in 5.1 - 7.1 setup .. really cool .. Does anyone know how well this feature work?
post #183 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I received my 2700 last night. I just finished setting everything up, including a Harmony 880 remote. Also ran the auto setup.
So far I've only checked out a few cd's, a few minutes of a DVD (Van Helsing), and various SD and HD cable tv channels.
And so far I can say................
Wow!!!!
post #184 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Forgive me if I missed it but is the 2700 having any HDMI handshake issues with HD boxes or have they resolved it? Specifically the Tivo Series 3?
post #185 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Would be nice to converge all the RX-V1700/RX-V2700 data onto one "official" thread, somehow, or this is going to become a major, un-organized, hassle for anyone seeking information. Pretty much all the other major brand models have an "official" thread to reference, there are like three RX-V1700/RX-V2700 threads out there currently.
post #186 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Would be nice to converge all the RX-V1700/RX-V2700 data onto one "official" thread, somehow, or this is going to become a major, un-organized, hassle for anyone seeking information. Pretty much all the other major brand models have an "official" thread to reference, there are like three RX-V1700/RX-V2700 threads out there currently.
post #187 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Would be ice to converge all the RX-V1700/RX-V2700 data onto one "official" thread, somehow, or this is going to become a major, un-organized, hassle for anyone seeking information. Pretty much all the other major brand models have an "official" thread to reference, there are like three RX-V1700/RX-V2700 threads out there currently.

agreed.

Since the following thread has some really good info (and more pages already), I think we should ask the mods to merge the other into it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713397
post #188 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would be ice to converge all the RX-V1700/RX-V2700 data onto one "official" thread, somehow, or this is going to become a major, un-organized, hassle for anyone seeking information. Pretty much all the other major brand models have an "official" thread to reference, there are like three RX-V1700/RX-V2700 threads out there currently.

agreed.

I think this thread should be it. Perhaps we can ask the mods to merge the others into this thread
post #189 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

agreed.

I think this thread should be it. Perhaps we can ask the mods to merge the others into this thread

yes, that's fine with me.

Moreover, I think the thread title should be edited to: "Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 thread", as well, to be a little more formal, and descriptive. As opposed to "WOW, not much activity on the Yamaha RX-V2700", kind of mis-leading for someone looking for up-to-date information (don't you think?).
post #190 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

agreed.
Since the following thread has some really good info (and more pages already), I think we should ask the mods to merge the other into it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713397

Moreover, I think the thread title should be edited to: "Official Yamaha RX-V1700/RX-V2700 thread", as well, to be a little more formal, and descriptive. As opposed to "WOW, not much activity on the Yamaha RX-V2700", kind of mis-leading for someone looking for up-to-date information (don't you think?).
post #191 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed.

we should ask the Moderators to merge it
post #192 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed.

we should ask the Moderators to merge it

A request has been made to the Administrator to, hopefully, fulfill this request.
post #193 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a guide on how you can setup your home network to use with the RX-V2700; keep in mind that this is what I will be doing, but there are many ways to cut this cake

your hardware setup should look like this:

If you dont' know how to setup a Network in your home, I suggest you google it . Ok, so the idea here is that you want to store your Music (Mp3's, wma's, etc, etc) in your PCs (desktop, laptop, etc). You can either hardwire the Yammy into the network , which is old school, or go wireless which is the present.

1. Connect your 2700 to your network via a wireless Access point; a USB lan adapter will not work, as the USB drivers inside the Yamaha only treat the front USB connector as a storage device.

2. You need to connect to you WAP, and setup all your network stuff (SSID, encryption if you have it on, etc). Make sure you have DHCP enabled! If you really wanna be anal, you could hide your network's SSID and just to mac address filtering. But for most users, setting up your WAP internally as another address is the way to go (you can call it 192.168.1.Z, where Z is the number you assign or DHCP assigns, or whatever addressing scheme you chose)

3. Install the Windows Media Connect 2.0 (or later) software on your PC's. Follow the steps in the WMC client to share the folders where your music is connected.

4. Viola! you can now goto the menu GUI in your 2700 and select the songs/playlists/internet radio/etc/etc that you want to your heart's content! And may I suggest you enable the Music Compression ENhancement feature!! apparently it does wonders!
post #194 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

A few day's ago I posed the following question to Yamaha Customer Support:

"I was noticing in the RX-V2700 detailed features/specs
that it does [not] specify Burr Brown brand DAC's, in-particular. Are we
to assume that this new model includes Burr Brown components as the
previous model AV receivers (ie. RX-V1600, RX-V2600, RX-V4600,
etc.,...)? Furthermore, should we assume that the pre-amp, and amplfier,
sections of the RX-V2700 are at least equal in design and performance as
the previous, very popular, models (like the RX-V2600)? I appreciate
your response."

This is the response I just received today by e-mail:

"The RX-V1700 and the RX-V2700 have Burr Brown DAC's and would be equal to or better than previous models. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us at our toll free Customer Support line. 1-800-292-2982 Hours: Monday Thru Friday 8 AM to 4 PM Pacific time.
Sincerely
Ken"
post #195 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Absolutely!... But I'm a newbie to this site, so someone else fire it up and I'll be glad to continue on that thread.

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #196 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfunk View Post

eddie can you give a more detailed (hardware to sofeware) run through on how to set up the 2700 using Windows media connect. btw besides downloading wmc 2.0 do you need the device manager? Thanks for helping.

Cheers!

It's really easy.
1) Connect the 2700 to your router via ethernet cable.
2) Download Media Connect 2.0 from Microsofts website (free and quick).
3) Open Media Connect and click on the "Devices" tab on the left.
4) It will recognize the 2700 as a device (on mine it's called "00-a0-de-45-0a-fe").
5) Click on "allow" at the bottom of the window.
6) Click on the "Sharing" tab on the left, and add folders you would like to share ie: my documents/my music.
6) Give the receiver a minute to talk to the "mother ship" and you should be all set.
7) You can click on "Settings" and tell your PC to start sharing as soon as Windows is started (recomended).

You shouldn't have to mess around with your device manager at all on your PC.
You can download WMC 2.0 now if you want, just to see what it looks like. Once you open it, you'll see just how basic it is.

Hope this helped. And keep in mind, even though it looks like a lot of steps, you should be up and surfing internet radio and your PC music within 10 minutes. This is how I did it, but everybodys got different scenarios with their networks and such, so some things might be different.

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #197 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives View Post

Absolutely!... But I'm a newbie to this site, so someone else fire it up and I'll be glad to continue on that thread.

A request has been made to the Administrator to, hopefully, fulfill this request.
post #198 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam View Post

Forgive me if I missed it but is the 2700 having any HDMI handshake issues with HD boxes or have they resolved it? Specifically the Tivo Series 3?

This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but the problem is NOT with the 2700 (or other HDMI supporting receivers). It is with the cable boxes. I have heard through the grape vine that Motorola, and or Comcast, has the fix for this. They are just dragging their feet in terms of implementing it. My DCT3412 will not pass through my 2700 via HDMI, yet my other HDMI devices have no problems at all. I called Comcast last night, and lets just say it was an excersise in futility. My wife thought I was just being mean, but I think the "tech-support" department should be aware that the number of calls they will be receiving regarding this issue will only increase unless they resolve it.

Kettering
post #199 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Yamaha's have arrived, yes!
post #200 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked (couldn't find it using the search function), but...

Has anybody made extensive use of the 480i to 480p deinterlace feature in the 1600/1700/2600/2700? I have a fair amount of content that only displays in 480i (most PlayStation 2 games, for example), and would love to see them running smoothly in 480p, but I'm curious as to wether or not this feature does what is advertised.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, while I can order this through my local dealer, they don't have one for me to audition . I've been looking at the NAD T753/T763, and was wondering if there was anyone who has tried both out and had some thoughts as to which they preferred from an audio standpoint.
post #201 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoracke View Post

Has anybody made extensive use of the 480i to 480p deinterlace feature in the 1600/1700/2600/2700? I have a fair amount of content that only displays in 480i (most PlayStation 2 games, for example), and would love to see them running smoothly in 480p, but I'm curious as to wether or not this feature does what is advertised.

yeah, I'm using it right now (with my RX-V1600 system), it works beautiful! SDTV channels, although vary, are definitely improved. Also improved video from DVD videos. How much? well you really never know until you try. Make sure all your settings are implemented- ie. V CONV = "ON"; CMPNT I/P = "ON" or HDMI I/P = "ON" (depending on whether you're using component video or HDMI connection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoracke View Post

I've been looking at the NAD T753/T763, and was wondering if there was anyone who has tried both out and had some thoughts as to which they preferred from an audio standpoint.

funny you ask. While I have no experience with either of these NAD AV receivers, I here they do yield very nice sound quality. Actually I'm using an RX-V1600 (as pre-pro) with an NAD C272 amp (150W X 2) for my front main speakers (Energy RC-Series), two-channel audio sounds very, very, nice! Home Theater surround (5.1) is beautiful using combined Yamaha & NAD amps. Moreover, I plan to get NAD C162 pre-amp to use (with C272) for dedicated 2-channel listening (to get the best of both worlds).

However, I would prefer (myself) to have a Yamaha RX-V2700 (as pre-pro or stand-alone), as opposed to an NAD AV receiver because, I think, you get more for your money. This is [not] to say the NAD AVR's are bad (actually I believe they're excellent), just that the more commercial brands (like Yamaha) are way ahead of the, very fast moving, game- best combination of DSP and video-procesing features, and the pre-amp/amp sections are'nt bad.
post #202 of 5379 Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 PM

Either I'm an idiot or I have some kinda Yamaha jinks. I had a rx-v2600 installed in the gameroom of my new house back in March. I ran only HDMI cables from my HDTIVO and DVD to my reciever then to my plasma. Had no problems with it (other than running hot--which they all do) until I hooked up my XBox via component. Unit immediately switched off every time I switched to the component source. I read on the v2600 thread that other were having the same issue so I informed the store/installer of the situation. He said no problem..they were backordered but when they got some more in he would call and come switch them out. Well I got busy and he never called so I phoned him last week. Long story short, I brought my 2600 in and he traded me for a new v2700.

I finally got a chance to hook it up tonight. Things went great, no problems at all video, etc all looks perfect.......but NO SUB OUTPUT! There is a very very soft faint rumble using test tones when I have the level adjusted up to 8-10 but nothing like before with the 2600. I have checked my wiring and confim that my sub is connected to the preout, the bass menu is set to output to both front speakers and the sub, I even used the auto setup mike to no avail. The sub has power, I tried both auto and manual on and tried switching the RCA from the LPE to the line level input....still no dice. Please tell me that there is something I'm missing and that I haven't had two lemons in a row. Is there some setting that anyone knows of that might cause this?

Thanks (and sorry for the novel!),

Dozer_Fan
post #203 of 5379 Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:

Here is a guide on how you can setup your home network to use with the RX-V2700; keep in mind that this is what I will be doing, but there are many ways to cut this cake

If you dont' know how to setup a Network in your home, I suggest you google it . Ok, so the idea here is that you want to store your Music (Mp3's, wma's, etc, etc) in your PCs (desktop, laptop, etc). You can either hardwire the Yammy into the network , which is old school, or go wireless which is the present.

1. Connect your 2700 to your network via a wireless Access point; a USB lan adapter will not work, as the USB drivers inside the Yamaha only treat the front USB connector as a storage device.

2. You need to connect to you WAP, and setup all your network stuff (SSID, encryption if you have it on, etc). Make sure you have DHCP enabled! If you really wanna be anal, you could hide your network's SSID and just to mac address filtering. But for most users, setting up your WAP internally as another address is the way to go (you can call it 192.168.1.Z, where Z is the number you assign or DHCP assigns, or whatever addressing scheme you chose)

3. Install the Windows Media Connect 2.0 (or later) software on your PC's. Follow the steps in the WMC client to share the folders where your music is connected.

4. Viola! you can now goto the menu GUI in your 2700 and select the songs/playlists/internet radio/etc/etc that you want to your heart's content! And may I suggest you enable the Music Compression ENhancement feature!! apparently it does wonders!

Thanks bro!

Darthfunk Mini Review

OPPO DV-983H
post #204 of 5379 Old 10-06-2006, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives View Post

It's really easy.
1) Connect the 2700 to your router via ethernet cable.
2) Download Media Connect 2.0 from Microsofts website (free and quick).
3) Open Media Connect and click on the "Devices" tab on the left.
4) It will recognize the 2700 as a device (on mine it's called "00-a0-de-45-0a-fe").
5) Click on "allow" at the bottom of the window.
6) Click on the "Sharing" tab on the left, and add folders you would like to share ie: my documents/my music.
6) Give the receiver a minute to talk to the "mother ship" and you should be all set.
7) You can click on "Settings" and tell your PC to start sharing as soon as Windows is started (recomended).

You shouldn't have to mess around with your device manager at all on your PC.
You can download WMC 2.0 now if you want, just to see what it looks like. Once you open it, you'll see just how basic it is.

Hope this helped. And keep in mind, even though it looks like a lot of steps, you should be up and surfing internet radio and your PC music within 10 minutes. This is how I did it, but everybodys got different scenarios with their networks and
such, so some things might be different.

Thanks mate will set it up once my receiver comes in. Have downloaded WMC 2.0 and its pretty easy from what i see.

Darthfunk Mini Review

OPPO DV-983H
post #205 of 5379 Old 10-06-2006, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer_Fan View Post

I finally got a chance to hook it up tonight. Things went great, no problems at all video, etc all looks perfect.......but NO SUB OUTPUT! There is a very very soft faint rumble using test tones when I have the level adjusted up to 8-10 but nothing like before with the 2600. I have checked my wiring and confim that my sub is connected to the preout, the bass menu is set to output to both front speakers and the sub, I even used the auto setup mike to no avail. The sub has power, I tried both auto and manual on and tried switching the RCA from the LPE to the line level input....still no dice. Please tell me that there is something I'm missing and that I haven't had two lemons in a row. Is there some setting that anyone knows of that might cause this?

Thanks (and sorry for the novel!),

Dozer_Fan

Don't know if this will help, but something to check would be the phase of the sub. I was using an Onkyo receiver that I bought a few years ago which doesn't have auto setup. My sub, a Mirage S12, has a phase reversal switch on it, which is set to normal and worked fine. However, after running auto setup, the 2700 set the sub's phase to REV. I get a ton of bass (depending on the source material, of course). You might try changing the sub's phase setting either on the 2700 or on your sub if it has a switch.

Jack
post #206 of 5379 Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry..dont know what happened to the picture earlier, but here it is again.
post #207 of 5379 Old 10-06-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:

The new Yamaha's have arrived, yes!

I was just wondering whatever had happened to all the 2700 threads when I found this merged official buried on the 2nd page of Audio. You'd think there'd be enough interest in the new Yammies to keep this thread on the 1st page! C'mon 1700/2700 owners, share your enjoyment through reviews, insights, and even problems encountered. But do try to keep the thread fixated to the 1st page where one can easily find it.

In Search Of My Dream HD Theatre
post #208 of 5379 Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isomdh View Post

I was just wondering whatever had happened to all the 2700 threads. You'd think there'd be enough interest in the new Yammies to keep this thread on the 1st page!

I know..............guess we should re-name the thread back to:
"WOW, not much activity on the Yamaha RX-V2700"
post #209 of 5379 Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I know..............guess we should re-name the thread back to:
"WOW, not much activity on the Yamaha RX-V2700"

Maybe the new owners don't have anything to complain and hence nothing to share. But still, we need more people to buy the gear so that by the time I'm ready, it will be at a nice discount.

In Search Of My Dream HD Theatre
post #210 of 5379 Old 10-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Anyone received a 2700 from Tweeters yet? I have preordered one to be UPSed to me as soon as available in tweeter's warehouse.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page