Yamaha 2600 shuts off after <1 min!--Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my brand new Yamaha RX-V2600 but I seem to be having a problem with an automatic shutdown after less than 1 minute of use. After hooking up my speakers, cable box, DVD player and TV, I turned it on and everything worked great...for about 30 seconds then it went back to standby mode. I turned it back on and it worked again for about 30 seconds before shutting off again. Checked the troubleshooting section of the manual and it wasn't much help so I was hoping someone here might have a solution. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2006, 09:38 PM

Liked: 11
Make sure that none of the speaker wires are touching each other on the back of the receiver. That would put the receiver into protection mode, and shut it off. You can try disconnecting one speaker at a time from the rear of the receiver, and that would help you isolate it.

SDS
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I checked all the speaker connections at both ends several times to no avail. Thanks for the recommendation though. I'm starting to think I may have received a bad unit.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
re-check your impedance switch on the rear, make sure it is set for 8ohms (not 6ohms)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

I checked the impedence (set via menu, not on the back...unless I'm missing something) and it's set correctly for my speakers. I've checked the speaker connections several times and can't see any problems. They work fine for the 30-40 seconds before it shuts down. I'm inputting component video and outputting via the HDMI so when I get back from work, I'll test to see if audio only works or if component to component works without shutting down. Until then, has anyone else seen anything like this? Good thing I got the 3 year warranty I guess...just in case...
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Un hook all your speakers & components.

Connect them(speakers) one at a time and turn on/off with each speaker connected and test to see what happens.

Regards,
Jose
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 PM

From another thread:

Originally Posted by halsan40
I did buy a new Yamaha Center model NS-C525. I checked the specs and it is 6 ohms. The rest of my speakers are 8 ohms. Could this be the problem? I have my receiver set for 8 ohms. Should I set it to 6 ohms?

funny you mention this (impedance switch), I just happened to read a review article, from "soundandvisionmag.com", on the RX-V2600 receiver, and the final paragraph had an interesting comment (shown below). It essentially claims that when driving low impedance loads (or speakers), with the switch set for 6ohms, the receiver shuts-down. However, it works fine, driving 4 or 6 ohm speakers, with the switch set for 8ohms. Moreover, the receiver drives low impedance loads very well, with power to spare, apparently (only a weird flaw with the impedance switch function).

Therefore, I bet there's probably a good chance your receiver will function fine with the impedance switch set for 8ohm's. Good Luck!

(quote, taken from SoundAndVision article)
"The Yamaha RX-V2600 delivered near-benchmark performance on every test, and literal benchmarks for linearity (0 error at -90 dB) and PCM signal-to-noise, which measured -75.7, the theoretical ideal for our dithered-silence test. Power was impressive for just about any common real-world speaker load, including all-channels power. The receiver shut down when confronted with high-output/low-impedance stresses with its impedance switch set to "6 Ohms," but did fine on the same loads with the switch "mis-set" to the 8-ohm position."

- Alan
Samsung HL-R6168W, Polk Audio RM7500, Dish DVRs(622/722), Yamaha RX-V2600, Panasonic DMR-EZ17, Panasonic LX600, ChannelMaster 4228, custom HTPC.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Spent a long time troubleshooting and couldn't get it to work so it's on the way back to the store. I guess I'm not the first to have this problem which is too bad. I HATE having to wait another week + to get this thing up and running!
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page