The new Yamaha HTR 6090 first glance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been researching a replacement AVR for my 5 year old Yamaha RXV-596 as I wanted to use the HDMI capabilities to output the audio and video from my Toshiba HD DVD player and DirecTV HD-PVR onto my Sony 60 inch XS TV. I had narrowed my search down to the Yamaha RXV-1600, RXV-2600, HTR-5990 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV. I was concerned with the size of the Pioneer receivers as they are both tall and deep and space was an issue in my built in cabinet.

I had read in several other posts that the RXV-1600 and 2600 are being replaced later this month with the RXV-1700 and 2700. I went to BB to demo to HTR-5990 and discovered that they were on clearance and that the new HTR-6090 was on display for less than a thousand dollars. I took advantage of the 3 year no interest deal and a 4 yr warranty for $34.00.

A few of the differences between the HTR-5990 and the HTR-6090 from comparing the owner's manuals include:
1. Dynamic Headroom 1.1 dB on the 6090. The 5990 had 1.03dB
2. Dampening Factor (IHF) 150 or More on the 6090. The 5990 had 140 or more
3. Maximum Input Signal on the PHONO is 60mV on the 6090. The 5990 has 100mV
4. The total weight of the 5990 to the 6090 has dropped by 1 pound from 37 lbs. to 36 lbs.
5. The 6090 has full pass through of 1080P video signals whereas the 5990 can only do 1080i.
6. Yamaha's proprietary iPod docking system. Using Yamaha's YDS-10SL iPod docking system you can connect your iPod to the receiver, control it, and charge it all at once.

A few features from the 5990 have been removed in order to keep the pricing at a reasonable level.
1. The 6090 looses THX Select 2 Certification
2. The Front Speaker "B" Channel is gone (I used these to send the audio output to my Patio - On the 6090 I'm using the Zone 2 for this process now - pretty neat feature as I can send a different source to the patio than what I'm listening to in the family room)
3. Advanced Install Controls are gone. This included RS-232 input for advanced remote control systems, and the 12V triggers used to trigger other electronics in the room to turn on or off.

The Specs for the HTR-6090 from BB site are:
840 watts of total power: 120 watts x 7 @ 8 ohms, 0.04% THD
Surround sound decoders: Dolby Digital, Pro Logic, DTS, DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix 6.1, Neo:6 and 96/24
23 DSP sound fields
XM HD surround
Video up-conversion automatically converts the input signal (composite video to S-video or S-video to composite video) to match your TV input
HDTV-compatible component video output ensures compatibility with HDTV monitors and HDTV's
Exclusive YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatically optimizes receiver output to sound for the room acoustics, checking and adjusting for speaker connections, distances, size, frequency response and sound pressure level
AM/FM tuner with 40 station presets
Multi-zone capability reproduces separate input sources in the main room and second room (zone 2)
Inputs: 2 HDMI, 5 optical digital, 3 coaxial digital, 4 stereo audio, 6 A/V (1 front, 5 rear), 6 S-video, 3 component video, RF
Outputs: 1 HDMI, 2 stereo audio, 2 A/V, 3 S-video, 1 component video, 3 composite video, 2 optical digital, headphone
Universal remote included

It took me about an hour to set up the receiver and I was quite amazed at how easy the speaker configuration was with the YPAO process. I had a little bit of trouble getting the receiver and my HDMI components to talk to one another. As soon as I powered everything off, unplugged the power cords and plugged them back in I was in business. The sound quality is awesome from my HD-DVD player for DD, DTS, DD+ and Dolby True HD. This receiver brought new life to my home theater and Tanoy speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reyfam:
I just saw this receiver at my local BB and it really piqued my interest. I was considering either the Onkyo TX-SR803 or the Pioneer 1016 until I saw this one. Re: Video upconversion, will it upconvert composite to component or composite and/component to HDMI (480p)? What about going from HDMI to Component? My goal is to upgrade my Sony STR-DE995 receiver to a better sounding one with more digital audio inputs and, at a lesser priority, HDMI.

Thanks!
post #3 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

How hot does it get after it's been running awhile?

Russ
post #4 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

How hot does it get after it's been running awhile?

It does get a bit warmer than my old amp but not too bad. I've got an inch of clearance all around and that seem to be ok. I've had it on for 7 hours and it seems to be doing fine.
post #5 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFella View Post

Reyfam:
I just saw this receiver at my local BB and it really piqued my interest. I was considering either the Onkyo TX-SR803 or the Pioneer 1016 until I saw this one. Re: Video upconversion, will it upconvert composite to component or composite and/component to HDMI (480p)? What about going from HDMI to Component? My goal is to upgrade my Sony STR-DE995 receiver to a better sounding one with more digital audio inputs and, at a lesser priority, HDMI.

Thanks!

Yes it will upconvert composite to component and composite up to HDMI. you can set up the parameters in the setup menu manually.
post #6 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfam View Post

Yes it will upconvert composite to component and composite up to HDMI. you can set up the parameters in the setup menu manually.

Thanks Reyfam!
How about HDMI down to Component?
post #7 of 490 Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFella View Post

Thanks Reyfam!
How about HDMI down to Component?

BigFella,

From looking through the manual I don't think it will downconvert the HDMI to Component. HDMI can only be passed through to HDMI.

Just finished watching Jarhead in HD-DVD...very nice!
post #8 of 490 Old 09-04-2006, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks like a nice one

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #9 of 490 Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:

BigFella,

From looking through the manual I don't think it will downconvert the HDMI to Component. HDMI can only be passed through to HDMI.

Just finished watching Jarhead in HD-DVD...very nice!

OK Thanks again Reyfam!
post #10 of 490 Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
I've heard that Klipsch speakers and Yamaha receivers aren't a good combination. Is this true? I am looking at getting the 6090 and want to be able to use my Klipsch speakers with it. Any input would be appreciated.
post #11 of 490 Old 09-05-2006, 03:27 PM

I just got thr Htr-6090 for only $650 from best buy they sold me the display. Dude i heard this rocks im just cluless on how to connect my 42" HP HDMI TV along with my HDMI blu-ray PS3 im also trying to connect my MIRAGE NANOSATS SPEAKERS. please help me.
post #12 of 490 Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyox View Post

I've heard that Klipsch speakers and Yamaha receivers aren't a good combination. Is this true? I am looking at getting the 6090 and want to be able to use my Klipsch speakers with it. Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry, I've never used Klipsch speakers in combination with a Yamaha amp. I have used JBL, Yamaha, Polk and currently use Tannoy speakers...
post #13 of 490 Old 09-05-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid54 View Post

I just got thr Htr-6090 for only $650 from best buy they sold me the display. Dude i heard this rocks im just cluless on how to connect my 42" HP HDMI TV along with my HDMI blu-ray PS3 im also trying to connect my MIRAGE NANOSATS SPEAKERS. please help me.

Ciscokid54,

If you read through the manual you will see the setup is very simple and you have many display options including connecting your TV, Samsung DVD player and PS3 via HDMI,Component Video as well as whether or not you want to connect the audio via HDMI, Optical or analog.

The one thing to remember with HDMI is to be sure to turn off all of the devices before connecting or disconnecting the HDMI cables otherwise you may encounter the dreaded HDMI handshake issue (they wont talk to each other). The other thing I learned was to be sure to set the audio output / input options correctly in both your amp and device.

Enjoy!
post #14 of 490 Old 09-07-2006, 01:55 PM

I have a 5660 with Klipsch f2s in the front and f1s in the rear and well forgot what center I have but its big too. They sound awesome. Klipsch speakers are very efficient so much so that I have never made it to the positive decibel side of the volumn control. I love the speakers so much that i will probably upgrade to the reference speakers when BB/ magnolia gets them! Oh yeah thats the first time I heard about the yamaha klipsch thing. BB has all the klipsch speakers hooked up with yamaha receivers.

I would definitly recommend it.
post #15 of 490 Old 09-08-2006, 10:21 AM

Yamaha did remove the THX Select2 Certification. However, the HDMI switching does support 1080p, which I think is a plus!
post #16 of 490 Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Does it have a variable audio delay for lip synch? If so, how many milliseconds (frames) of delay are available?
post #17 of 490 Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliesj View Post

Does it have a variable audio delay for lip synch? If so, how many milliseconds (frames) of delay are available?

Yes it does:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...5&CTID=5000400

* Audio Delay for adjusting lip-sync (0-240 ms)

post #18 of 490 Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

MAIN FEATURES

High Sound Quality

Advanced Features

* 7-channel 840W powerful surround sound (120W x 7)
* Digital ToP-ART with extremely high quality parts and devices used throughout
* Pure Direct for higher fidelity sound reproduction
* 2 in/1 out HDMI (ver. 1.2a) for handling digital signals including Super Audio CD
* Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
* iPod song titles displayed on front panel and on-screen display (multi-language compatible)
* Improved YPAO sound optimization

High Picture Quality

Surround Realism

* 1080p compatible HDMI (2 in/1 out)
* High-definition video up-conversion
* De-interlacing (480i to 480p)
* Wide-range component video bandwidth (100MHz -3 dB, 1080p compatibility)
* CINEMA DSP with 23 DSP programs
* Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES 96/24 compatibility

OTHER NOTABLE FEATURES

* Audio Delay for adjusting lip-sync (0-240 ms)
* Dialogue Lift for dialogue to screen center
* Selectable 9-band subwoofer crossover frequencies
* Subwoofer Phase Select
* Night Listening Enhancer ensures can be heard clearly at low volumes
* SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP

Song Title OSD
* iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
* Detachable power cable
* Extended remote control codes

HIGH SOUND AND PICTURE QUALITY

HDMI 1.2a for All-Digital Audio
HDMI This receiver incorporates the High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) 1.2a specification. Listeners can enjoy crystal-clear, all-digital audio quality via a single HDMI cable.
1080p Compatible HDMI (2 In/1 Out)
This receiver has the capability of repeating 1080p video signals from HDMI input to HDMI output. Two inputs are provided, so the user can switch among them.

ADVANCED FEATURES

Improved YPAO Sound Optimization
YPAOThe HTR-6090 has an improved system that adjusts frequency response, and has a Trim function that lets you control three parameters. It also provides the manually adjustable parametric EQ settings, including subwoofer.

post #19 of 490 Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The Back Panel for the HTR-6090:

The Front Panel:

post #20 of 490 Old 09-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It does get a bit warmer than my old amp but not too bad. I've got an inch of clearance all around and that seem to be ok. I've had it on for 7 hours and it seems to be doing fine.

I run the fan continously on my 5990 and highly recommend it...every little helps, assuming they kept this feature in the 6090.

Excellent synopsis on the model change over. The IPOD Dock is a cool improvement over the 5990.

You are correct that HDMI ins can not be converted to component outs.
post #21 of 490 Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I saw this receiver today at BB and Frys. It was the same price at both places - a small discount from MSRP.

I found that the bottom of the left side of the chassis (the area below the transformer) gets very hot. Otherwise I liked it a lot. I'm trying to decide between this receiver and the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV.
post #22 of 490 Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliesj View Post

I saw this receiver today at BB and Frys. It was the same price at both places - a small discount from MSRP.

I found that the bottom of the left side of the chassis (the area below the transformer) gets very hot. Otherwise I liked it a lot. I'm trying to decide between this receiver and the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV.

It does get a bit warm but if you leave about an inch of room all around you should be fine. I was also interested in the Pioneer Elite VSX-81 and the 82 models. The only problem I had with the Pioneers is that they are over 18.5 inches deep and stand about 7.5 inches high which would have required me to cut into my cabinet to fit the receiver in...

Good luck both the Yamaha and Pioneer receivers are very nice.
post #23 of 490 Old 09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the RX-V2700 better than the HTR-6090? I know that the RX can upconvert to 1080, but other than that is it better, or are they about the same? I don't care much about the upconversion since I have cable HD and a Toshiba HD-A1 and my TV only accepts 1080i input. I'm also considering going with the HTR-5990 since it's cheaper some places now.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #24 of 490 Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

Is the RX-V2700 better than the HTR-6090? I know that the RX can upconvert to 1080, but other than that is it better, or are they about the same? I don't care much about the upconversion since I have cable HD and a Toshiba HD-A1 and my TV only accepts 1080i input. I'm also considering going with the HTR-5990 since it's cheaper some places now.

I think the HTR-6090 is more comparable to the RX-V1700 than the 2700. I have the HTR-6090 connected to my Sony 60 inch Rear Projection LCD TV (1080i) via HDMI and I run my Toshiba HD-A1 to the HTR-6090 via HDMI as well. My DirecTV HD PVR is connected directly to the TV via HDMI as well since I didnt want to have the receiver on all the time.

I chose to go with the HTR-6090 over the HTR-5990 because there were some enhancements made with regard to the YPAO configuration as well as the upconversion.
post #25 of 490 Old 09-20-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Dont forget "What is the difference between the RX-V line and the HTR line AV receivers ?" http://www.yamaha.com/yec/faq/faqdet...KNOWLEDGE_ITEM

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods; the same manufacturers suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units. There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality black metal front panel construction. The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz. The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales. The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail. All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.

post #26 of 490 Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 PM

For those with the 6090, how would you rate the quality of the upconversion?

I'm weighing both the RX-V2700 and the HTR-6090 for my new home theatre. The 2700 has an ABT processor, whereas the 6090 doesn't, but it may not make any difference on my 50" 720p plasma. I do have digital cable and need to do some processing so the Sci-Fi channel looks better.

Any thoughts?
post #27 of 490 Old 09-20-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyox View Post

I actually picked up a 6090 about two weeks ago and I'm running it with the following all Klipsch setup:

Mains: RF-7's
Center: RC-64
Surrounds: RS-7's
Subwoofer: Dual RSW-15's

I think this receiver sounds fantastic with my setup. The high current amplifier is especially welcomed with my mains as the imped. can drop down to about 2 ohm in certain areas of the lower frequencies. I've noticed the bass response has increased on a massive scale as opposed to my Pioneer VSX-D811S which preceeded the Yamaha.

Klipsch aside however, I really do enjoy the extra features this amp offers. The video upconversion through HDMI and Component Video plus the on-screen menus are a real positive. As opposed to the 5990, I don't think I really miss the THX EQ's given the usefulness of the upgrades in most every other area. If you can find a BB in your area that actually has one in stock or can get one at the moment, I say definitely go check it out. Worth every penny I paid for it.
post #28 of 490 Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Hello all,

I just picked up the 6090 reciever from bb a few days ago, will probably hook it up this weekend.

One disapointing thing I've found already though in reading about the upconversion in the manual... I was sold on this reciever because I figured it would simplify my setup and set me up to be ready for 1080p sources like when i finally get a blueray... I would simply connect one hdmi cable from the reciever to my tv, and leave my tv on digital in 1. Then plug in my hdmi dvd player and component DVR box and component xbox360 and use the reciever to switch sources. No more switching tv input hoorayyy!!! WRONG...

In the manual it states that anything converted from the component ports to the hdmi out ports will come out 480i or 480p WHAT!?!?!? My xbox and DVR will be DOWNCOVERTED from 1080i to 480?!?!?! The manual even states "there may be some loss of video quality". Who ever heard of a down-converting reciever? pfffft, the guy who engineerd this should be slapped in the back of the head.

Oh well, i guess i will have to go component to the tv also for the xbox and DVR and switch tv inputs back and forth. Time to pick up a learning remote.

It was just really disapointing to see this after the bb guy and I spent like 10 minutes talking about how cool and simple and elegant my system would be using just the hdmi out of the reciever.

Other than that I'm sure I'll love the reciever.

BTW, I'm new to the forums so hello everyone!

F
post #29 of 490 Old 09-28-2006, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

Dont forget "What is the difference between the RX-V line and the HTR line AV receivers ?" http://www.yamaha.com/yec/faq/faqdet...KNOWLEDGE_ITEM

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods; the same manufacturers suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units. There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality black metal front panel construction. The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz. The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales. The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail. All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.

Last I checked, all HTR models have plastic front pannel constuction. The 58XX line from last year had all metal front.

BTW, has anyone seen these in Canada yet? Does BB in Canada plans to carry them? I know some of you here are BB employees, who can maybe shed some light.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #30 of 490 Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Last I checked, all HTR models have plastic front pannel constuction. The 58XX line from last year had all metal front.

BTW, has anyone seen these in Canada yet? Does BB in Canada plans to carry them? I know some of you here are BB employees, who can maybe shed some light.

I'm just quoting from the Yamaha site, so don't blame me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page