Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 1763 Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post

I have to disagree. I currently have all HDMI sources (TiVo, PS3, 360, etc) and I output audio via optical to my Turtle Beach wireless headphones. Haven't had any issues yet with missing audio due to HDCP.

Yes, I finally found a manual online which stated that HDMI audio is output via optical out. I was wondering for the same reason, I am looking at getting a headset for gaming. When you want to use the headset, do you just mute the receiver and the signal still comes out the optical? Thanks!

Xbox: SchwedyBalz (Microsoft made me change it, again)
PS3: SchwettyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1763 Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 AM
lar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwettyBalz View Post

Yes, I finally found a manual online which stated that HDMI audio is output via optical out. I was wondering for the same reason, I am looking at getting a headset for gaming. When you want to use the headset, do you just mute the receiver and the signal still comes out the optical? Thanks!

Yes. The optical port is pretty much always outputting audio, so if the baby's asleep my wife and I can just mute the receiver and turn on the headphones. Or if someone's having trouble hearing they can use the headphones while the receiver's still un-muted.
post #1743 of 1763 Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Dailey View Post

After months of frustration... I finally decided to spend some real time searching to see if ANYONE else out there is having the same issue as myself with this receiver.

Well here is what I experience with my unit.

For 1 year it worked flawlessly.

THEN.

DirecTv HD receiver HDMI > Onkyo receiver HDMI > TV

If I am on NON-HD channels on direct tv... everything works flawlessly.

When I switch to an HD channel, the audio comes through fine through the receiver (I don't use the TV audio) BUT the video will not work unless I cycle through turning things on and off, resetting things etc for about a bit. I could always get everything to work fine on non-HD channels though... no issue at all.

Same story applies for my xbox360 connected via component video to the onkyo receiver, with optical audio connection. and sending it all to the tv via HDMI. It would not display the video... it would flicker a bit, sometimes stay, sometimes go back to blue screen and if i let it set for a couple hours it would eventually work.

Things were like this for a few months.... Then it got worse so I just bypassed the Onkyo receiver with the xbox video.

Any thoughts on this?

I experience very similar issues. Non HD channels always work, HD channels are hit and miss. Last night it took about 5 minutes before it worked and I don't know if me cycling had anything to do with it or if it was just luck. I honestly feel that if there are this many issues with HDMI with this receiver, I may be stuck upgrading to a 2010 model when I really didn't plan on upgrading this receiver for another 5 years or longer.
post #1744 of 1763 Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

This pertains to the above post:

I came home from work today. I turned my system on. At first, no channels worked.

After cycling the receiver on and off and togglign through some inputs, I was able to get SD channels to work. HD channels still not working.

What in the world is the issue here? Is there a fix for this? This is absolutely horrible.
post #1745 of 1763 Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM

...I purchased my receiver back in Fall 2006. Had two problems right off the bat-- poor HD reception and activation of On-Demand programming would cause the receiver to make a loud "pop" sound and turn off.

My cable provider was Time-Warner originally which was bought out by Comcast in 2007 (which promptly doubled the prices). I always blamed the poor HD reception on my cable provider and truth be told I think some of the blame was with them. Eventually, though it became clear they did fix the signal strength issue and only the receiver could be explained in the reception problems.

I have a "*** Scientific" HD cable box that only has component outputs which go to my receiver and I am upconverting to HDMI to go to my plasma TV. When the Onkyo receiver is taken out of the mix the reception problems go away.

The problem with On-demand programming shutting off the receiver is has always been an obvious handshake issue between the cable box and the receiver, but I never wanted to send it in just for that... after all, all I had to do was turn the receiver back on....

Fast forward to 2010... the HD reception issues (both audio and video) have worsened to the point I no longer use the receiver for video. I bypass it and go directly to the TV on component from the cable box. The audio still goes though the receiver and periodically cuts in and out, but I have to put up with it to run my surround sound. I obviously am out of warranty and Onkyo is stodgly refuses help in resolving what has obviously been a defective receiver from Day 1 (kicking myself for not recognizing this earlier). The Onkyo customer relations line went as far as to claim they have NEVER had an audio issue with the SR674, only video issues. How rediculous is that claim? Beware buying any products from this company. They are interested in minimizing warranty costs and not in backing up their products. Many manufacturers would help you out even if you are out of warranty. The frustrating thing is I should have decided to send it in long before the warranty ended.
post #1746 of 1763 Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM

OK, I have purchased my 674 on EvilBay just under a year ago. I have put it into my Motor coach and had no problems with any part of the receiver. Went on a trip to Disney World, and on the way back, I began to get the "video flicker" issue, when viewing DVDs or BR from my PS3.

So, does the service bulletin fix it? Since I am the second owner and out of warranty, what does this fix cost?? Most of the repair shops that I have contacted will not give me a price until they have the receiver in hand. Is it even worth it to have the receiver fixed, or just use this in my workshop, and buy a newer model?

Onkyo advised me to contact Norman Electronics in Atlanta, GA for repairs, as I am an hour South of Atlanta in Macon.
post #1747 of 1763 Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post

OK, I have purchased my 674 on EvilBay just under a year ago. I have put it into my Motor coach and had no problems with any part of the receiver. Went on a trip to Disney World, and on the way back, I began to get the "video flicker" issue, when viewing DVDs or BR from my PS3.

So, does the service bulletin fix it? Since I am the second owner and out of warranty, what does this fix cost?? Most of the repair shops that I have contacted will not give me a price until they have the receiver in hand. Is it even worth it to have the receiver fixed, or just use this in my workshop, and buy a newer model?

Onkyo advised me to contact Norman Electronics in Atlanta, GA for repairs, as I am an hour South of Atlanta in Macon.

There are definitely some newer models out there they dance circles around the 674 and are relatively inexpensive. Get an estimate and go from there. If they are asking ridiculous money, $200 or more, spend the extra $200 on a newer model.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #1748 of 1763 Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Johns796...sorry to hear that you have had these issues.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #1749 of 1763 Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had this unit for about 4yrs. & used it with my Sony PS3 and Dish DVR mostly without problems to my Mitsu 1080p LCD. The PS3 started having sporatic video connect issues after a firmware upgrade about a year ago. Now the 674 is having problems with video from the DVR as well. I've tried switching the HDMI's around with limited success. I'm guessing Dish did a firmware change that the 674's HDMI firmware just can't handle.

Notice the sudden revival of this thread with new complains about video & audio pass thru issues even on HDMI? I've decided to go to an Onkyo HT-RC260 with the new 1.4 HDMI. I hope it will work as long as my 674.... Onkyo makes great gear.
post #1750 of 1763 Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Liked: 17
I've had mine about the same time. Still no problems to report, other than occasional audio drop I need to shut off / restart and it's normally fine.

I'm on Dish too with no problems.... have a VIP722 reciever.
post #1751 of 1763 Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Glad yours is working fine. My Dish DVR is an older VIP 622. Maybe I've just worn out the video processor on my 674. I've been getting more & more blue screens with audio & no video until the unit warms up or finally syncs.
post #1752 of 1763 Old 10-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Has anyone tried using the new Apple TV with their Onkyo 674? I can't get audio over the hdmi connection. Optical works fine, and video over hdmi is fine. The apple tv doesn't provide any diagnostic info as far as I can tell, to see if it knows it's not sending audio.

I want to free up the optical to to use for a second zone, as the apple has no analog out and the onkyo can't send digital to zone 2.
post #1753 of 1763 Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishakim View Post

Has anyone tried using the new Apple TV with their Onkyo 674? I can't get audio over the hdmi connection. Optical works fine, and video over hdmi is fine. The apple tv doesn't provide any diagnostic info as far as I can tell, to see if it knows it's not sending audio.

Uh oh. I just bought an AppleTV 2. I wonder if I'll have the same problem?

On another note, I am still having the very annoying audio dropout issue. It happens almost every day, sometimes several times per day.
My wife has about had it with the whole thing, but we can't afford to replace the receiver right now.
Did anyone ever find a solution to the HDMI audio dropout?

Wait...this thread is from 2010? Why did I just get an email notifying me of a new post? Odd.
post #1754 of 1763 Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had my 674 for about four years now and tonight when I turned the system on to watch tv I noticed that I wad getting audio from the speakers but nothing on the screen. Switched to the PS3 input and same deal, audio but not video. Both components are plugged into the hdmi inputs on the receiver and the tv is connected via the HDMi output.

I thought this might be a cable problem but I took the same cable going to the TV and was able to plug in my computer no problem so that clearly is not the case. It appears that something had gone wrong with the HDMI output connection on the receiver.

Has anyone else run into the problem (from what I can tell only audio issues have been reported) and does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it? Thanks.
post #1755 of 1763 Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

I have had my 674 for about four years now and tonight when I turned the system on to watch tv I noticed that I wad getting audio from the speakers but nothing on the screen. Switched to the PS3 input and same deal, audio but not video. Both components are plugged into the hdmi inputs on the receiver and the tv is connected via the HDMi output.

I thought this might be a cable problem but I took the same cable going to the TV and was able to plug in my computer no problem so that clearly is not the case. It appears that something had gone wrong with the HDMI output connection on the receiver.

Has anyone else run into the problem (from what I can tell only audio issues have been reported) and does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it? Thanks.

I'm having a somewhat similar issue right now.
Try unplugging the HDMI cable to the TV and plugging it into a different input (on the TV), if you have that option.
Also, try turning everything off, then turn on TV first, then cable box (or PS3), then AVR. I'm finding that HDMI is really picky about order of connections sometimes.
post #1756 of 1763 Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post

I'm having a somewhat similar issue right now.
Try unplugging the HDMI cable to the TV and plugging it into a different input (on the TV), if you have that option.
Also, try turning everything off, then turn on TV first, then cable box (or PS3), then AVR. I'm finding that HDMI is really picky about order of connections sometimes.

Tried the other TV input cable trick but no dice. Ill try the order of operations thing next. Weird this issue was never there before and I haven't changed anything....
post #1757 of 1763 Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm having issues with the sound output on my TX-SR674 and need some direction. I have reset using the "Video 1" and "Standby" button method but it's not making any difference. I took the device to the local AV shop and they said that Onkyo had them do a "Master Reset" and they then were able to output sound without failure. I bring the device home and within 2 weeks it has already dropped the sound. Once in awhile I'm able to shut it off and turn it back on and the sound is there.

Does anyone know how to do a "Master Reset"? Is there such a thing?

My setup is an XBOX360 wired to the receiver which has a HDMI run to a Optoma projector. Speakers are all driven independently from the receiver terminals.

Please help!

Thanks
post #1758 of 1763 Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM

From the manual: "To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [ON/STANDBY] button."
If you're a more visual type, here's a video.

Be aware: This is a factory reset, which will wipe out all your settings. You may want to make a note of everything before doing it.
Hope this helps.
-Elmojo
post #1759 of 1763 Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Sound kicks in with delay on SR804.
When starting up the receiver the sound to the speakers has always been delayed by like 1/2 second or so. I believe this is some kind of security feature to prevent damage to the speakers. Recently this function seems stuck on my receiver. The sound will only kick in after the receiver has been warmed up or when switching the listening modes (stereo/surround) several times on the remote.

I have tried the system reset but that did not resolve the problem.

Does anyone have suggestions for a fix? I read something about a lazy capacitor but there were no details.

Thanks. JD.
post #1760 of 1763 Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Hi, for the past year or so I've noticed a sound issue with the sr674 which I've only recently been able to diagnose. What I've found is that when I input a source via HDMI which comes in as a stereo or mono PCM signal, while the volume display can go all the way down to "Min", the sound doesn't decrease below "40" or so (with my setup, 45-60 is the comfortable listening range depending on the source). Also, with these signals the mute button doesn't lower the volume below "40."

Sources that input multichannel PCM or Dolby Digital or DTS work great! I can completely reduce the volume and use mute. This has been an interesting problem to troubleshoot, because it is dependent on the signal being sent rather than the device doing the sending, as far as I can tell. For example, from my PS3, this problem occurs with stereo and mono DVDs, 2 channel MPEG2 files streamed from my computer via DLNA, and non-5.1 Netflix titles, but works great with BluRay and multichannel DVDs and Netflix titles which include a 5.1 audio track.

I realize that I've had the receiver for a while, and it's probably time for an upgrade, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this issue, or can offer any possible suggestions.
post #1761 of 1763 Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post

Dropped off my receiver Saturday, that is right, June 3rd Saturday.

While home today, getting ready for the family dental appointment, I got a wonderful call...my receiver was already repaired and ready for pickup. With everything going on here at the house, I have only done basic testing, but 1080p is sweet. The fix, when done correctly, does work. The tech even gave me a copy of the service bulletin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Service Bulletin #: 06011-R3
MODELS: TX-SR674 / TX-SR804 / DTR7.7
SUBJECT: Picture interruption in output of 1080P signal via HDMI.

Symptom:
Video output is often interrupted when 1080P signal outputs via HDMI because of authentication error.

Cause:
Monitor detects problem by mistake because of unstable pixel clock for HDMI output IC.

Procedure for Service:
1) Remove Capacitor C8428 on HDMI Board NAVD-8824
2) Change Resistor at R8524 from 33 ohm to 0 ohm on HDMI Board NAVD-8824

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So as recent posts have stated, the fix does work. It seems, according to the service bulletin, that there were a few models affected and this is all the same issue, and this fix is currently in production for all these models. The bulletin gave some information about serial numbers, but right now, I am too tired to try to translate it.

Hi All.

I came across your form when searching for a fix for the long handshake on my sr 674. Today I have replaced the 100uf caps and all is now working how it should.

Apart from 1080p via the xbox one. I assumed that the 2 issues were connected so wasn't too worried.

Since reconnecting everything and finding the problem is still there i have re searched and come across the quoted post above.

Have people had much success with this fix?

Am i right in thinking a 0 ohm resistor is just a wire link??

Thanks in advance

Mark

post #1762 of 1763 Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
lar

Huh, it's naturally been forever since I've read this thread. Since then I've had to replace my projector and I'm pretty darn sure I'm affected by this now. Any HDMI that goes through the receiver takes 5-10 minutes before a signal is passed through.
post #1763 of 1763 Old 02-22-2014, 05:03 PM

Hello.  I have the Onkyo TX-SR674 and I am trying to get Zone 2 speakers working.

I followed the manual's instructions for setting up Zone 2 in the Setup.  I plugged in speakers using speaker-wire connected to the Zone 2 banana plugs on the back on the Onkyo.

I have HDMI video & audio coming in to HDMI Video 1.  I want to COPY that audio into Zone 2, so I picked up one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6884

I wired SPDIF Optical OUT from the Onkyo to the Monoprice SPDIF Optical IN, then red/white RCA wires into the Onkyo's CD IN.  I tuned Zone 2 to the CD source, and the Onkyo's main input is set to Video 1 HDMI.  I get nothing on the Zone 2 speakers.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a similar problem?  Could this be because my audio comes in through HDMI, but I use SPDIF Optical OUT from the Onkyo to the Monoprice RCA converter, and if so, any idea how to get the digital HDMI audio into Zone 2?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr674 7 1 Channel Up Converting A V Receiver Black , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page