The "Official" Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1630 Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a frustatiing problem running component video from my DVD player and Comcast DVR box via this receiver and HDMI out to my TV. There is a rolling band that goes from the bottom to the top of the TV screen. This is not there when I run component direct to the TV . On HD content from cable box its lines of disturbance while with the DVD its a pink color band that rolls.

I think I may have a bad piece or can you think of any interference that might be causing this. I have been using this just for a week or so and finally settled on the config. Thanks for any advice , I plan to call Pio tomorrow see what they say.

Anybody else have similar problems ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Haven't seen it, but just a thought -- if you are using the receiver to upscale, make sure you are feeding it 480i (ie. a non progressive signal).
post #273 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Anyone using athena's speaker and svs sub with this reciever? is it worth upgrading to this reciever if have a HK avr 435 already?
post #274 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM

I have a VSX27 and would like to upgrade to 7.1, Is it really worth it? I would lose my AC3 RF for my laserdiscs but would the overall gain be worth the trouble and expense? Thanks
post #275 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am having a frustatiing problem running component video from my DVD player and Comcast DVR box via this receiver and HDMI out to my TV. There is a rolling band that goes from the bottom to the top of the TV screen. This is not there when I run component direct to the TV .

I have this same problem on my 82. I have had two of them and both had the same exact issue. I believe the review from Audioholics also mentions it. I wonder if the 84 has this problem?

Thanks,

Frank
post #276 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalguru1 View Post

I am having a frustatiing problem running component video from my DVD player and Comcast DVR box via this receiver and HDMI out to my TV. There is a rolling band that goes from the bottom to the top of the TV screen. This is not there when I run component direct to the TV . On HD content from cable box its lines of disturbance while with the DVD its a pink color band that rolls.

I think I may have a bad piece or can you think of any interference that might be causing this. I have been using this just for a week or so and finally settled on the config. Thanks for any advice , I plan to call Pio tomorrow see what they say.

I dont have these issues but I also have the scaling turned off. I will turn it on and see what it does.
post #277 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

When I turn off video conversion (up-conversion not up-scaling) and just use the Pioneer for component switching the problem is gone. But, with video conversion turned off, you need to run a set of components and one HDMI.

Frank
post #278 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

When I turn off video conversion (up-conversion not up-scaling) and just use the Pioneer for component switching the problem is gone. But, with video conversion turned off, you need to run a set of components and one HDMI.

Frank

Thanks Guys. I talked with Pioneer just now and they told me to exchange the unit. I can still do this. But with all your responses I am now wondering if I should just go the denon 2807 way? Only 2 HDMI but maybe I can manage with that. I'll go and check that forum now-

I can confirm that the problem is only when I switch to HDMI out and have Video convert on. If I do component out to TV the problem is gone.

Really wonder when all these HDMI issues will get sorted out?
post #279 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

I have this same problem on my 82. I have had two of them and both had the same exact issue. I believe the review from Audioholics also mentions it. I wonder if the 84 has this problem?

Thanks,

Frank

I re-read that review carefully. My problem seems to more than an "artifact" . Rolling lines and pink color bars that go from the bottom to the top would be considered a serious problem not just an artifact . Thanks for pointing to the review.
post #280 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Hey I am just wondering. Maybe a stupid question but can you still use the 2 back surround channels to power speakers like I can with my Denon 2805 and listen to a different source. Watch a dvd in my living room and listen to the tuner on my patio. I know that the Denon will not work with digital connections I assume this is the same with this receiver too.
post #281 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 PM

I am have a problem with the VSX 82 where all audio via HDMI shows up as 2 channel stereo, (or shows PL II at the max)
My xbox360 shows digital and is 5.1 via component and optical, but both my DVD player and HD10-250 directTivo show up as PL II using HDMI.
Any ideas on what is cauing this?
post #282 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxguy View Post

I am have a problem with the VSX 82 where all audio via HDMI shows up as 2 channel stereo, (or shows PL II at the max)
My xbox360 shows digital and is 5.1 via component and optical, but both my DVD player and HD10-250 directTivo show up as PL II using HDMI.
Any ideas on what is cauing this?

Not sure about your DVD player, make sure you have the audio settings correct in the player so its outputing the correct signal.

On the HR10-250 is it happening on every channel including the HD ones?

I have an HR20-700 connected via HDMI and it all depends on what the station is outputting. When I am on the HD channels the 5.1 lights up perfectly, as it also does on SD channels that are broadcast in 5.1.

Regular shows that are in stereo only I get just the left and right.
post #283 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellzrr View Post

Hey I am just wondering. Maybe a stupid question but can you still use the 2 back surround channels to power speakers like I can with my Denon 2805 and listen to a different source. Watch a dvd in my living room and listen to the tuner on my patio. I know that the Denon will not work with digital connections I assume this is the same with this receiver too.

Yep, it wont pass over digital connections though as you stated.
post #284 of 1630 Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM

That was it, had to switch from PCM output to Raw on the DVD player and Tivo. Thanks!
post #285 of 1630 Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Does the VSX-82TSX allow you to use component inputs with analog audio? I've heard some other receivers will only allow component with optical audio which won't work with my Wii.
post #286 of 1630 Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitom View Post

Does the VSX-82TSX allow you to use component inputs with analog audio? I've heard some other receivers will only allow component with optical audio which won't work with my Wii.

The 82 allows you to use component video with analog audio connections.
post #287 of 1630 Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalguru1 View Post

of course you are not alone. won't see it with all devices.

Basically the upscaling and upconverting on the Elites is broken..broken, broken. between this rolling scan line you report, the excess contrast etc and just a down right lousy picture quality overall. It is not useful..

With the current firmware you basically just want to use this guy as an hdmi or component switcher as far as video goes.. Pioneer knows about this... this reciever is a great piece of hardware with sucky firmware.

I give the whole video section about a zero on a one to ten scale. Yeah it is nice that it has 3 hdmi inputs but I could have just used a monoprice swithcer... When I made the purchasing decision to buy the Elite, I hoped the DCDi stuff would save me money by improving the PQ on some of my sources. Since it is unusable I just ended up upgrading my source devices... I don't how what percentage of what we paid for on the 82/84 recievers was for the DCDI scaler/deinterlacer but I am guessing we wasted a couple hundred dollars at least.

Now I have to admit the DCDI did help my LD look a lot better and it came across hdmi... but that is a composite signal and I don't really use the device any more anyway. Everything else I tried to either scale or upconver just was too degraded in one way or another to use.

Anyway at this point all the sources that I really use are either 1080i or 1080P natively so it is moot point.

HP HTPC with NV 7600GT and ATI 650 running 1080P
Oppo 981HD
Tosh A1
I also have an SA Explorer 8300HD which could still benefit from the DCDI in the Elite if it worked welll but once I move to Vista I will probably give up on set top boxes altogher. I hate the 20 bucks a months.....

Just another blank signature.
post #288 of 1630 Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM

GTgray -

I agree 100%!!
One of the main reasons I bought the 82 was for the DCDI name - and Pio screws it up- and it stinks. It's very frustrating to think that I bought it to scale and all I use it as is a switcher at this point - my HS51a does a better job of scaling!

Any word on new firmware?
post #289 of 1630 Old 12-08-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Parsons View Post

GTgray -

I agree 100%!!
One of the main reasons I bought the 82 was for the DCDI name - and Pio screws it up- and it stinks. It's very frustrating to think that I bought it to scale and all I use it as is a switcher at this point - my HS51a does a better job of scaling!

Any word on new firmware?

Thanks Matt & GtGray
Pioneer support response was a non-commital when I asked about a firmware update. I also got the feeling that they heard many complaints - since they basically said "exchange it and see if it works!".

So I exchanged it for a Denon 2807. The PQ and upconversion (and scaling to) seems to work better (much better than the Pio) Overall much happier even with the sound.
post #290 of 1630 Old 12-08-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Basically the upscaling and upconverting on the Elites is broken..broken, broken. between this rolling scan line you report, the excess contrast etc and just a down right lousy picture quality overall. It is not useful..

When I made the purchasing decision to buy the Elite, I hoped the DCDi stuff would save me money by improving the PQ on some of my sources. Since it is unusable I just ended up upgrading my source devices... I don't how what percentage of what we paid for on the 82/84 recievers was for the DCDI scaler/deinterlacer but I am guessing we wasted a couple hundred dollars at least.

Now I have to admit the DCDI did help my LD look a lot better and it came across hdmi... but that is a composite signal and I don't really use the device any more anyway. Everything else I tried to either scale or upconver just was too degraded in one way or another to use.

Anyway at this point all the sources that I really use are either 1080i or 1080P natively so it is moot point.

I don't have a problem with my 82 upscaling, so it appears to depend on what you are doing.

I'm performing upconversion/upscaling from S-Video 480i to HDMI 1080i and I'm getting a great picture from each of my three sources: S-VHS, LD, and DVD. My HDMI input is always 1080i and so no scaling is needed.

I have not tried using component or composite input, but I don't need them (at least, not at present). (Though you mention composite works, and a friend with an 82 tells me his component 480i also works.)

I understand the Faroudja scaler DCDI chip is actually a budget offering, so I doubt your guess of $200 is even vaguely close.
post #291 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 07:05 AM

Hi all,

I just recently bought an 82 after reading several good things about it then I came across this site which had a lot more info. I have been skimming through the threads but seem to be unable to find the answer to my question. I may have just missed it.

I originally bought the elite because from what I read I thought it would upconvert my signal from my direc tv HR10-250 high def reciever when it was a 480 signal. Is this not true? I can't get it to look any better unless I am missing a setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #292 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yes it can upscale your signal up to 1080i, however it is a univeral setting, so it may have to turn it on and off depending on what you are feeding at the time.
post #293 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 08:46 AM

Galaxie428,

It can upscale 480i to 720p or 1080i. Play with your setting though, as I found mine looks best w/480i when:

82 is set to PURE -
HR10-250 output everything at 720p

I feel the HR10 does a much better job of upscaling 480i than the 82 does. But again, play w/different settings - maybe 1080i looks better in your scenario or maybe your display (didn't catch what it is) will do a better job than either of them.

I have them connected via HDMI and HDMI running to my HS51a projector.
post #294 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Upscale and upsonvert can be confusing especially in the context of receivers. I think upconverting on the Pioneer refers to taking a component, svideo, or composite input and upconverting it to hdmi. Scaling most often we are talking about upscaling here will involve changing the resolution and or interlacing/deinterlacing settings.

As mentioned in several posts this is a global setting and it messes with things it shouldn't even touch. I have seen a straight digital signal at 1080i on hdmi suffer as a result of Video Conversion.

My A1 HD and SD video gets degraded just because Video Conversion is on evem if it is set to 1080i. Now if the signal is already HDMI and already 1080i at the source why should Video Converison matter or why should it even do anthing but pass it through unmolested... but it does not pass it through unmolested. It just totally crushes the blacks on my Tosh. I leave Video Conversion off 100% of the time now.

Pioneer ought to be embarrassed by the video section on these recievers. That capability is hardly worth of the label Elite. If I had figured it out within my return period this reciever would have went back.. just terrible.....

Just another blank signature.
post #295 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 09:25 AM

The thing I'm getting from this is that upconverting looks great going from 480i to 1080i. The upconverting of 480p to anything is terrible. The upconverting of 480i to 720p is just OK and not great. So it seems like Pioneer's current implementation of the DCDi has flaws dealing with progressive signals.

I wonder how many of you with progressive output DVD players would see a better picture if you sent the Pioneer a normal 480i signal and let the DCDi do the conversion.

Hitachi 42HDS69 with flicker fixed by the SM fix
Pioneer VSX-82TXs
Mirage Omnisat system
E* ViP622 HD DVR
post #296 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Hello all,

You will be able to tell from my questions that I am very inexperienced, so I will apologize in advance for that. I have two unrelated questions:

1. I recently purchased and setup my wonderful TSX. I live in a fairly new home that has a room pre-wired for 5.1 surround. The wall plate where all the connects terminate has two rca jacks for the subwoofer, a red one and black one. It seems that my subwoofer can support this, but where do I plug these two jacks on the pioneer?

2. I've noticed that when I play a DVD, the TSX automatically picks up on the Dolby Digital settings and plays the movie wonderfully. My question is what do you recommend for everyday TV watching (I have it on 7-channel stereo)? And, what do you recommend for prime time shows that support 5.1 surrond?

By the way, I do not have 7.1, but have 5.1 instead. My DVR and DVD players are connected through Fiber/coax.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James
post #297 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamgol View Post

Hello all,
1. I recently purchased and setup my wonderful TSX. I live in a fairly new home that has a room pre-wired for 5.1 surround. The wall plate where all the connects terminate has two rca jacks for the subwoofer, a red one and black one. It seems that my subwoofer can support this, but where do I plug these two jacks on the pioneer?

There is only one RCA for the Sub on the Pioneer. It is the Sub (Red with white block surrounding it) RCA in the Pre Out section closest to the speaker wire outputs. It is above the iPod plug second from right and second down.

Hitachi 42HDS69 with flicker fixed by the SM fix
Pioneer VSX-82TXs
Mirage Omnisat system
E* ViP622 HD DVR
post #298 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 01:38 PM

I've read through this thread and the manual, and I'm seeing conflicting information on whether the VSX-82TSX will scale/deinterlace S-Video sources to the component output. I mostly will want to deinterlace the output of a PS2 and occassional LD to 480P. I'm using a front projection CRT to a 4:3 screen, so I don't really want to scale 4:3 source material into a 16:9 aspect ratio, and end up getting a smaller picture on the screen.

The manual makes it pretty clear that at least the signal will be converted from S-Video to component, but it's not clear on whether the component out signal would be deinterlaced or scaled. Some of the posts in this thread suggest that only the HDMI output is scaled. So, does anyone know for sure?
post #299 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Kamgol

Welcome to the forum.

The most common setting for regular TV would be DPLII - Movie, which will matrix a 5.1 format out of the stereo mix. When a progarm is broadcast in DD the receiver will automatically recognize it and adjust itself.

DTS Neo 6 is - Movie would be an alternative setting (I prefer DLPII)

7ch stereo is really not a movie surround mode - it's more for music IMO. It delivers the same info to all 5 speakers - - kinda like a party mode -- not the best choice for a movie/TV show.

Enjoy!
post #300 of 1630 Old 12-09-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Parsons View Post

Kamgol

Welcome to the forum.

The most common setting for regular TV would be DPLII - Movie, which will matrix a 5.1 format out of the stereo mix. When a progarm is broadcast in DD the receiver will automatically recognize it and adjust itself.

DTS Neo 6 is - Movie would be an alternative setting (I prefer DLPII)

7ch stereo is really not a movie surround mode - it's more for music IMO. It delivers the same info to all 5 speakers - - kinda like a party mode -- not the best choice for a movie/TV show.

Enjoy!

Matt,

Thanks for the advice. So, you would recommend DPII for TV watching whether it's broadcast in 5.1 or standard, correct?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page