The "Official" Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1630 Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought an open box from Magnolia, got it home, plugged everything in, and was amazed.

I honestly didn't expect to see any difference on the Playstation 2 upconverted and upsampled out of the HDMI cable, but it looked amazing. Crisp image, just phenominal.

Then, every so often, the video would drop out. At first it would only happen within minutes of the receiver turning on, so we thought maybe it was a heat issue, when the unit was cold it had problems, maybe. But then watching video on a modded Xbox or downloaded video on an Xbox 360, it happened a lot. Like, every three to five minutes, two or three seconds of video will just go to snow. E-mailed Pioneer about it 10 minutes ago, the response said they're open Monday through Friday so I don't expect a response until probably Tuesday.

I tried another TV, same thing. Everything is going into the receiver component, by the way, Wii, PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360, and coming out the HDMI to an HDMI to DVI converter, which was plugged into a Mitsubishi rear projection hi-def display and a Sony Wega hi-def CRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1630 Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 AM

Thank you metalsaber and bwclark for your quick replies.

A while back I received an e-mail reply back from a Yamaha rep saying that their 2600 would do that (or at least I thought they said that).

My question was:
<<Regarding your RX-V2600. I have a finished basement in which I have
existing high quality component cables running through the walls. I
would have to tear into the walls to run an HDMI cable. So, Can I use
the HDMI inputs on this unit but output using Component in HD? 720P
specifically?>>

There reply was:
<<The RX-V2600 will pass a 720p signal via component video but it will
not upscale the signal, only through HDMI. If you have any more
questions please feel free to contact us at our toll free Customer
Support line. 1-800-292-2982 Hours: Monday Thru Friday 8 AM to 4 PM
Pacific time.
Sincerely Ken>>

If I look back at this answer, he doesn't explicitly say that the 2600 will take HDMI in and component out. Just that 720P will work and component will not scale.

Oh well. More to do. Thanks!
post #453 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 08:09 AM

I just bought the PE 82 a couple days ago and connected all my components. I was watching TV and all of a sudden it went black, there was no audio, and all my receiver was doing was blinking "HDMI NG". No matter what I do, what mode I'm in, anything, the receiver continues to blink that message on it's screen and nothing works. It's driving me insane. Please somebody help me!! What does HDMI NG mean??

In case it helps, I have a HD Cable/DVR box plugged into optical 1 and component 1, a DVD player plugged into optical 2 and component 2, and a PS3 plugged into HDMI 1. I have the HDMI out running to the TV.

- as a side note, even from the start the PS3 was not working at all through the receiver (no audio or video) so help with that would be appreciated too. But just getting the receiver to work AT ALL is my #1 priority.
post #454 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well a blinking HDMI would mean it is not syncing properly. Mine blinks at first when I start my component...PS3 or A2 and then when it stops blinking it is synced and ready to go.

As to the PS3, I'm having no issues with mine. If you haven't assigned the HDMI port to one of your presets, then you will need to either assign it to one. That is what I did or you have to manually go through the inputs until you get to that HDMI port.

On the PS3 end, make sure you set the Audio to Linear PCM. To sync the picture with your display, Hold down the PS3 power button for about 5 secs or so ( you should hear a couple beeps). When that happens, it should sync with your TVs native resolution.
post #455 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 09:13 AM

The blinking "HDMI NG" shows no matter which function I'm in or anything. And it will go on for 30 min if I let it so I'm not sure if it's a sync problem. I can play around with things on the receiver, change settings, change input mode, etc. but when it goes back to the default view on the receiver, it will show HDMI NG just blinking forever.

And for the PS3, I did have it on "HDMI 1" when trying to use it, but it still showed nothing. But for that issue, I can't even test anything new while this NG issue exists so any more suggestions or input on that would be greatly appreciated right now.

Also, wouldn't you think that if the pioneer has a message programmed in like HDMI NG, that the manual would reference it somewhere? I mean Pioneer obviously knows that something has to cause that message to show up, why wouldn't they tell you what it means?
post #456 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

What TV are you connected to?

If you connect your PS3 directly to your TV, do you get video and/or audio?
post #457 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 10:13 AM

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma HD. I haven't tried running the HDMI directly from PS3 to TV yet, but it's kind of a long story. I just had a hernia surgery and am stuck at home for a couple weeks. Was hoping to mess with the setups on the new receiver and PS3 while I was here to occupy my time. Lifting my TV off the wall (which I'd have to do to try and plug directly in) isn't really an option for me until I'm a little more healed up. Switching cables is about as far as I can go.

HOWEVER, back to the HDMI NG thing, it is putting a stop to everything. Literally nothing on the receiver works while it displays this. I can go into menus and all, but no inputs work. The tuner doesn't even work, just keeps blinking that stupid message. I'm willing to offer a ransom to anyone if they can tell me how to fix this. I'm already in serious physical pain right now and it is putting me in emotional pain. I am begging you people! Help this poor injuried soul get some listening and viewing pleasure.
post #458 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a HDMI cable running from your receiver to your TV, just remove the HDMI portion off the receiver side and plug it into your PS3. That way you don't have to touch the HDMI on the TV end.

Also try a different HDMI cable if that doesn't solve it.

Trust me you have to test different things like I'm saying so that you can determine if it is your TV or receiver.
post #459 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 AM

OK, switched the HDMI cable from the receiver to the PS3 so it was running directly to the TV, switched the TV to HDMI source and nothing. Just blank.

When I first got the receiver, the HDMI cable was run from receiver to TV and I was able to get cable TV through it for a couple days until the HDMI NG thing happened so both the cord and TV worked with HDMI at one point. I guess? What the heck is going on around here?
post #460 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

1.) Try another source that has an HDMI input DIRECTLY to your TV. Does it work now?

2.) If possible try connecting your PS3(or other source) connected directly to your TV VIA component. Do you get a picture?

If you do not get a signal with HDMi with another source, then you have 1 of 2 issues. The HDMI cable could be bad. HOWEVER make sure it didn't come LOOSE on the back of the TV. That might be why your are not getting a picture.
post #461 of 1630 Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Just switched the HDMI cable from the back of the PS3 to the Comcast Box and it works fine going right into the TV. So I have to assume the cable itself works fine and that the TV works fine with it. Any ideas??
post #462 of 1630 Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow, got the 82 for xmas, after sending back a 2600. Wasn't happy with the sound. This thing is amazing, so many ways to fine tune your sound. Still get a better picture running hdmi directly from cabebox to tv, but I had that same problem witht 2600 anyway.

Overall, great so far!
post #463 of 1630 Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 PM

Has anyone who's at CES hit the Pio reps up about our firmware upgrade?

-Brian
post #464 of 1630 Old 01-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Has anyone tried hooking up a PC via a DVI>HDMI adapter. Would the receiver be able to accept 1920x1080 from a PC or do I have to set it to 1280x720? Is there a way to make a PC do 1080i?
post #465 of 1630 Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 PM

Just took back the 1016 and picked up the 82 yesterday. I'm excited to hook it up and I will post a comparison later.
post #466 of 1630 Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 PM

how do u listen to ipod sound while watching a different video source?

the manual say listen to ipod than press video select button to change video source.

when i press the video select button the receiver displays ps3 but no video comes up (hdmi light doesn't come on or anything). due i need to press another button or something(tried enter doesn't do anything).

anyone got this to work?
post #467 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitom View Post

Has anyone tried hooking up a PC via a DVI>HDMI adapter. Would the receiver be able to accept 1920x1080 from a PC or do I have to set it to 1280x720? Is there a way to make a PC do 1080i?

If your receiver has HDMI, then it will support 1080p. If your video card in your pc supports 1920X1080 resolution then 1080p is what it will output. I don't know of a way to specify 1080i for a PC.
post #468 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 08:47 AM

Can the 82TXS accept 1080p? I thought it could only handel 1080i.
post #469 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
82 does do that!! both audio video, so do 81!

btw when is 1017 coming out and if it does have hdmi 1.3, and all differences between 1016 and 1017?
post #470 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Just got my 82txs today and have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to play video from my 30gig video iPod through the HDMI output?
edit: I figured it out. Is there a way to get more than 480i?

2. My Motorola HD PVR from RCN does not function with HDMI input. Is this correctable?
edit: Contacted RCN and it won't work.

3. Is upscaling only possible through analog sources and viewed through monitor out instead of HDMI out?

4. Why does "PCM" displayed when DTS is chosen? Is it DTS?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this receiver is a keeper! Especially like the auto set up!
Thanks in advance
post #471 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM

post #472 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Hey Lion,

How exactly did you get video out of your Ipod? When in Ipod mode, I only get the audio top menu and can't pick a video. I have the 60giger with the latest firmware..

4. PCM shows if either you have your output over HDMI set to PCM from the device, or if you haven't hit the "signal sel" button on your remote to nab the signal from an optical source.

-b
post #473 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 09:57 PM

Liked: 11
I have a PS3 and am seriously considering purchasing an VSX-81. After being at CES and seeing the lack of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD on virtually any reciever, I am convinced this one will be great for a while coming.

My question is for those of you who actually have a PS3 and either the 81/82/84. When I connect my ps3 via HDMI, and set the PS3 to Linear PCM. Does everythign work ok. Meaning the sound and the picture both play fine, with no issues. This way I can hear that uncompressed PCM audio and the DTS-HD coverted to PCM, thins should sound dramatically better that the opitcal out.

IF it works, then I will be a new owner soon. I have found the VSX81 for about $700 shipped.

Thanks!
post #474 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 PM

Nm Lion, got it working.. Can you upscale though?

-b
post #475 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM

Hi I am new owner of the 82 from Singapore, but over here this model is call AX2AV-S.

I want to know if anybody has tried the advanced MCACC application software and does your HT sound better after calibration?

If there is already a discussion on this, please give me the link. thanks
post #476 of 1630 Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I spent some time with the Pioneer reps at CES discussing the LFE issue. I told them -- somewhat pointedly -- to provide an update in some kind of public way.

The guys at the show had heard about the issue from several people at the show but were honestly not that familiar with the issue themselves.

We'll see if they can some info out to us somewhat soon.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #477 of 1630 Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokecan View Post

Nm Lion, got it working.. Can you upscale though?

-b

I don't know! The manual is lacking on this issue. Does anyone out there know how upscaling is done?

Also, when I have a DTS source and it is chosen, "PCM" is on the display and DTS symbol no where to be found. Is this an issue?

NEVER MIND!!! I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! GREAT RECEIVER!!! It makes my older speakers, which I thought I would have to replace, sound incredible!!
post #478 of 1630 Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post

Hi I am new owner of the 82 from Singapore, but over here this model is call AX2AV-S.

I want to know if anybody has tried the advanced MCACC application software and does your HT sound better after calibration?

If there is already a discussion on this, please give me the link. thanks

I've run the auto MCACC, and kept a profile in memory, but although in some ways it improves the sound, in others (speaking only for myself) it hurts it. Also, I have a problem with 8dB of bass boost it applies to my front center and front right speakers at 63Hz -- that's too much gain for my setup. This means I have to back them off, but when I do, it likely invalidates the auto MCACC notch filter settings. This leaves me without confidence in the final standing wave calibration.

Obviously, different people will get different results and my impression is most are pleased with the result. I guess it's another of those YMMV situations .

Ps. I'll probably play with it some more to see if keeping only the auto bass settings (with the two mentioned boosts backed off) and using my own for the rest of the range will work.
post #479 of 1630 Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

I've run the auto MCACC, and kept a profile in memory, but although in some ways it improves the sound, in others (speaking only for myself) it hurts it. Also, I have a problem with 8dB of bass boost it applies to my front center and front right speakers at 63Hz -- that's too much gain for my setup. This means I have to back them off, but when I do, it likely invalidates the auto MCACC notch filter settings. This leaves me without confidence in the final standing wave calibration.

Obviously, different people will get different results and my impression is most are pleased with the result. I guess it's another of those YMMV situations .

Ps. I'll probably play with it some more to see if keeping only the auto bass settings (with the two mentioned boosts backed off) and using my own for the rest of the range will work.

TrevorS, I noticed in previous posts here you adjusted your subwoofer db. Where did you turn up your subwoofer db to compensate for the LFE loss? I cannot seem to find the right area to be able to manually boost the subwoofer. The LFE is really killing me on blu-ray discs off the PS3. There is just no punch on most explosions. Let me know.
post #480 of 1630 Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post

TrevorS, I noticed in previous posts here you adjusted your subwoofer db. Where did you turn up your subwoofer db to compensate for the LFE loss? I cannot seem to find the right area to be able to manually boost the subwoofer. The LFE is really killing me on blu-ray discs off the PS3. There is just no punch on most explosions. Let me know.

I combined a 5.0 cut at the player with a 0.1 lift via MCACC. I just have to remember to select that particular MCACC profile when receiving the player HDMI LPCM channels (and de-select it when receiving other inputs ).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page