The "Official" Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1630 Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had an "82" for about a month and so far I love it, however, I do have one problem that I have been unable to solve.

I have a Carver tuner connected to one of the analog source inputs. When I press Auto Surround on the remote, the 82 recognizes that the input is stereo and switches accordingly. The problem is that when it switches I get no sound from the L&R "A" speakers. If I switch to the "B" speakers (I do not have back surrounds so I am using those outputs as suggested in the manual for a set of speakers in another room), the tuner plays fine. If I switch to an advanced surround mode such as 7-channel stereo, the "A" center and surround channels play, but the front L&R do not.

I am sure that I have done something wrong, but I just do not see it. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1630 Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm currently looking to pick up this receiver and it appears Butterfly Photo has the cheapest price online (I could be wrong). If I were to purchase the receiver there, does anyone know if I am covered under Pioneer's warranty? Thanks in advanced.
post #543 of 1630 Old 01-21-2007, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholiks View Post

I'm currently looking to pick up this receiver and it appears Butterfly Photo has the cheapest price online (I could be wrong). If I were to purchase the receiver there, does anyone know if I am covered under Pioneer's warranty? Thanks in advanced.

Not thru pioneer, you get a one year warranty thru Butterfly, and/or you can purchase a two or four year extended repair plan that will cover you for parts and labor.

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #544 of 1630 Old 01-22-2007, 01:05 AM

Okay, thanks for the tip. Time to pull the trigger!
post #545 of 1630 Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM

.....I got of to a bad start my first question I asked in a thread that turned into a beat down on me. I recovered and have done the proper thing and read this thread from start to finish. Now I may have breezed a little too fast in some areas and as a result might have missed something.

So here I go:
I recently purchase a Pio...-82. It was a long winded desision. But now I am stuck (I'll leave out details why). Here is what I've concluded after reading this thread.
50% plus/minus love/hate the sound from this unit 50% or so love/hate the upscaling of this unit.

Well I have no beef with the sound, at least not yet. My problem is the upscaling, or should I say lack there of. Here is my set up right now

DirecTV HD DVR (HR20 is the model I believe): running HDMI to receiver
Sony Progressive DVD: Componant to receiver
Sony KDF-50WE655: receiving video via HDMI from receiver

I've tried Componant from the DTV box and had no issues but am leaning towards HDMI for best PQ on the HD broadcasts.

I've considered running S-video from DVD setting it to 480i then upscaling to 720p/1080i, only I was nice enough to give a 'Up and coming HD'er' my old S-vid cable. So unless the great people of this forum do suggest it I will stick with componant.

I read some people are having "picture too dark" issues, and even read one or two having pic. to light. I have none of these issues. My problem, I see absulutely no difference in picture quality when using Pure/480p/720p/1080i. I've been playing with it for days now. The sreen does it's flicker to indicate it's doing something, but I notice no difference in picture.

And another thing why is it that some of the settings in AVparam aren't always there; the manual is vague on the subject. Mainly the Hue, Contrast, and Aspect ratio settings. Is there a possibilty that my Faroudja's chip isn't working/doing it's job. I've said before I'd be happy if I'd even see a negative difference, then at least i would know it's doing something!

I had this TV for awhile before i upgraded to a HD box. So I am aware of what a SD braodcast looks like on this TV. So assuming my HR20 is scaling he SD signals now, I am not impressed, which is one of the reasons why I bought the 82.

So, inconclusion, am I doing something wrong, can I be helped?

Thanks

TJ
post #546 of 1630 Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Has anyone had the new firmware flashed that supposedly fixes the quality issues upconverting component to HDMI? I'm about to purchase but I want to confirm that issue has been fixed.
post #547 of 1630 Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitom View Post

Has anyone had the new firmware flashed that supposedly fixes the quality issues upconverting component to HDMI? I'm about to purchase but I want to confirm that issue has been fixed.

I second that question!
post #548 of 1630 Old 01-22-2007, 10:48 PM

new owner here... haven't had a chance to set it up yet and won't for a few weeks at the earliest...

i've read most of this thread and am now wondering if i made the wrong decisiona dn shoudld have gone with the Denon 2807...

the whole upscaling thing has me totally confused at this point too...

I only plan to run a PS3 and 360 via HDMI and a Comcast HD box via HDMI, all to a Mitsu 37" LCD via HDMI...

i'm assuming those are the only 3 connections i will have to make to handle all my audio and video...

i also assume i should turn the scaling off, so it does not mess with my 1080p signals from my PS3, and 720p and future 1080p signals from the 360...?

i hardly ever will watch a non HD signal on this setup, so i don't even think the scaler is worth the headache...

can someone give me some input on my assumptions here...?

i don't want to sit on this thing for more than 30 days only to find out it's not going to do what i ask it, and then not be able to return it for a full refund...

Thanks gents...

also what's the deal with the firmware...?
post #549 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDiesel View Post

I only plan to run a PS3 and 360 via HDMI and a Comcast HD box via HDMI, all to a Mitsu 37" LCD via HDMI...

i also assume i should turn the scaling off, so it does not mess with my 1080p signals from my PS3, and 720p and future 1080p signals from the 360...?

Just to give you a heads up the 360 does not offer an HDMI output, only component. You can, however, output 1080p via the component.
post #550 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 AM

yes, that was a mistake on my part... it would be hooked up via component...

thanks...
post #551 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How does one 'inject' audio into an HDMI connection? I've got a PC that's sending video into the VSX-82 via a DVI to HDMI cable. But I'd like to also use that same HDMI connection on the back of the VSX-82 for the audio too. Is there some sort of splitter or adapter that'd let me feed an audio signal into the HDMI jack? I ask this because I've already got a number of other inputs using the coax and optical inputs.
post #552 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM

You would need a video card like this:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/produ...w.php?gpid=145

And ditch the dvi to hdmi converter..

-b
post #553 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 AM

here's a potentially new question. Has anyone noticed any change(conversion/upscaling) to their picture when an SD dvd is played on their PS3? I have my conversion on and set to 720p. I know when a BD disc is playing, there is no conversion to the video signal at all. But theoretically, an SD disc should be upconverted to whatever the conversion is set to. HDMI is going in and out if that coincides with other peoples setup. Let me know what you see.
post #554 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

At some point that might be an option to consider. Right now I have a working machine. Swapping that card and dealing with the drivers is something I'd rather avoid, if possible.

But it raises the question of what sort of audio can be injected into the HDMI cable. The board you've linked to supports only digital coax, not fiber. Asus (and others) make boards that'll support fiber SPDIF input. But what if the motherboard has an Intel HD Audio header? Do any of the cards support pulling audio from that internal header, into the video card and out the HDMI port?
post #555 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM

I am new to AVS and I have really enjoyed reading all the threads here. I have just purchased the Elite 82 based on many things I read here. Like many other people posting in this thread, I was excited about the video upconversion. However, I am really a novice at the home theater thing. So much so that I don't have my speakers for my 5.1 setup yet. I wanted to try the 82 though and just play sound through my TV for now.

Here is what I plugged in and I am having a problem getting any sound at all. Maybe I overlooked something hooking up my components. I plugged in my Motorola cable box with component cables and used an optical cable from the box to the receiver. I also plugged in my Xbox 360 using the same thing, component cable and optical audio. I then plugged an HDMI cable from the receiver out to the TV input. I did the input setup to tell the receiver what component input to use as well as what optical input to use. I see the picture fine, but no sound from either the cable box or xbox.

I did read in this thread that I may need to set the HDMI in the AV Parameter menu to "Through" so that the receiver doesn't process the sound but the TV can, but I must be missing something. I also understand that if I do that though - I lose the video upconversion of my SD cable singal. What can I do about this?

Also, one more question. I also saw someone else ask this and have not seen an answer. When I press the AV Parameter button - I don't see some of the options from the manual - specifically the resolution setting to select 720p or 1080i. I can't get the light for video conversion to come on the front of the 82.

I really appreciate the help of this community and welcoming new people by trying to learn as much as they can from people who have some expertise with this equipment that is new to me Thanks again.
post #556 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM

i may be off base here, but you will never get any sound "through" the AVR unless you have external speakers hooked up...

i could certainly be wrong though, as i'm a noob myself...
post #557 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 PM

There seems to be talk of 'Firmware' but has any got a good solid answer as to when it will be available. And where can one get the specs. to what the lastest version, and versions of the past is/are? And is there a way that a somewhat savy person could flash it on their own?
post #558 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDiesel View Post

i may be off base here, but you will never get any sound "through" the AVR unless you have external speakers hooked up...

i could certainly be wrong though, as i'm a noob myself...

Thanks for the response.

I checked the manual again and it says this - HDMI set to "through" to a TV or plasma display or "AMP" to process the audio in the receiver. I thought I read somewhere that I have to provide an HDMI input signal to the receiver to get audio when I attach just the HDMI cable out to my TV. Can anyone else help me or look at my post above?
post #559 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Tech Support View Post

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Yes the upconverting issue has been resolved, take the Receiver into a local servicer for a firmware upgrade.

You can also call us at 1-800-421-1404.

Thank You,

Phil
Customer Service Representative

That is all I know. I'd really like to find out if this works before I tear my ceiling open to run HDMI and find out HDMI still looks like crap.
post #560 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 08:29 PM

When I was grabbing the serial # off my unit to register it I noticed the manufactor date was December 2006. I read earlier in this very thread of a person who had instructions on how to check the firmware level on the 82.

The steps are as follows:

Put Receiver in stand by mode
Hold down the Standard surround button
Continue to hold button the press the power button.

Well it didn't work for that person and it didn't work for me. When you hold the Standard surround button the power switch won't work.

So I guess knowing the lastest version would be beneficial before I jump the gun. Only issue is; how do I check what it is?
post #561 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokecan View Post

There is no "injection" going on. This card produces the sound itself and either outputs it over HDMI or via the coxial digital. The boards that have SPIDF also only output. They are made to be HTPC cards, and not everyone neccesarilly wants to use the audio off the HDMI (ie you have a HDMI tv, but a non HDMI receiver that only excepts coax or SPIDF).

Hopefully at somepoint there will be a board that will inject via a header, but I'm not aware of one that does..

I would love to pipe my SB XFi sound into my video card and ship everything to my receiver over HDMI. I'm not holding my breath though..

Brian, you're mistaken to think the Sapphire card has it's own audio, it doesn't. It requires a digital coax signal be sent to it from another card; either by the external SPDIF jack or internally to a header on the board. Nor does the Asus 7600GT have audio, it requires being sent an external optical SPDIF signal.

So you could certainly pipe your SB XFi into this card and have it sent over HDMI to your receiver. At least that's what it's supposed to be capable of doing.

There's a Prolink ADD2 card designed to work with intel graphic chipsets that's capable of connecting to the HD Audio header. I've ordered one, hopefully it'll work. At $43 it's not like it'll break the bank to try.

As for receivers without HDMI, well, this isn't a thread about them. Sure, it'd be entirely reasonable for someone with a receiver that didn't have HDMI to not want to use an HTPC card that supplied audio only using HDMI. But for users of the VSX-82, that also have other devices consuming the component ports, they'd need to use HDMI. Even more so since the VSX-82 apparently CAN'T use other audio inputs when an HDMI video source is selected (at least mine won't).

So for the meantime I'm going to try to take advantage of the onboard G965 video and audio via the ADD2 card.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to either use the Asus ($203/newegg) and loop the external optical into it, or find a way to get digital SPDIF from the motherboard's HD audio header and use something like that Sapphire card.
post #562 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 PM

Well hey how bout that. I went to this website, and there is a service center 2 blocks from my house. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what they know. I'll keep you all in touch.
post #563 of 1630 Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post

The steps are as follows:
Put Receiver in stand by mode
Hold down the Standard surround button
Continue to hold button the press the power button.

Worked fine for me. Power the unit off. As in, press the power button and make sure the blue LED goes OFF. Now, hold down the Standard Surround button. With that held down, press and hold the power button. Release them both when the unit comes to life. It'll start spewing info. You'll probably have to repeat the process a couple of time to get it all written down.

Mine reported:
M1.002 F0.503
D2.001 H1.002
HOST **
f1.003 s0.002

I've no idea what those mean (yet).

I am NOT looking forward to the idea of yanking this out of it's rack and taking it somewhere to have the firmware updated. Can this not be done via the RS232 jack on the back?
post #564 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ .............................................

I've no idea what those mean (yet).

I am NOT looking forward to the idea of yanking this out of it's rack and taking it somewhere to have the firmware updated. Can this not be done via the RS232 jack on the back?

I second that question. I am willing to try it myself if it seems possible.

But back to you getting into the menu where the spewing info came from. You said you have to hold them both down? For how long? When I press the power while holding the Standard Surround button, it has no reaction.
post #565 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 AM
rjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post

When I was grabbing the serial # off my unit to register it I noticed the manufactor date was December 2006.

can you confirm if your SN begins with the letters FL ?? the Dec 06 date and FL serial number were previously posted as the ones Pioneer said had the upgrades. please let us know
post #566 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Turn it off by pressing the power button. See that the blue LED is off and no text or other lights are displayed.

Press and hold the Standard Surround button.
While holding the Standard Surround button (keep pressing it)
Press and hold the Power button (for about 3 seconds but longer works too)

When it comes to life release them both. Mine reacts in about 3 seconds.

Just make sure you're starting from the unit being off and that you're pressing the correct buttons.
post #567 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Just recieved the 82. Everythings great so far, but I have a question about the "THX" setting. Why does the screen say...DDPLIIx+MV+THX? What's the "MV" stand for? Thanks.

post #568 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Brian, you're mistaken to think the Sapphire card has it's own audio, it doesn't. It requires a digital coax signal be sent to it from another card; either by the external SPDIF jack or internally to a header on the board. Nor does the Asus 7600GT have audio, it requires being sent an external optical SPDIF signal.

So you could certainly pipe your SB XFi into this card and have it sent over HDMI to your receiver. At least that's what it's supposed to be capable of doing.

There's a Prolink ADD2 card designed to work with intel graphic chipsets that's capable of connecting to the HD Audio header. I've ordered one, hopefully it'll work. At $43 it's not like it'll break the bank to try.

As for receivers without HDMI, well, this isn't a thread about them. Sure, it'd be entirely reasonable for someone with a receiver that didn't have HDMI to not want to use an HTPC card that supplied audio only using HDMI. But for users of the VSX-82, that also have other devices consuming the component ports, they'd need to use HDMI. Even more so since the VSX-82 apparently CAN'T use other audio inputs when an HDMI video source is selected (at least mine won't).

So for the meantime I'm going to try to take advantage of the onboard G965 video and audio via the ADD2 card.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to either use the Asus ($203/newegg) and loop the external optical into it, or find a way to get digital SPDIF from the motherboard's HD audio header and use something like that Sapphire card.

yeah, i was being a ******.. thought i deleted this post
post #569 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Just recieved the 82. Everythings great so far, but I have a question about the "THX" setting. Why does the screen say...DDPLIIx+MV+THX? What's the "MV" stand for? Thanks.

Anyone?

post #570 of 1630 Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Anyone?

movie

Simon