The "Official" Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1630 Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm almost positive the 82TXs requires hardware update along w/ the firmware update... according to my local repair center (Norman Electronics, Atlanta, GA) this is the case and the reason it is not a walk-in update. They can't even order the parts until the unit is dropped off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1630 Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Liked: 10
So to make me feel absolutely comfortable, can anyone who had firmware update performed on his 82 report that they now have no issues with the hdmi set up?

I am very interested to hear from people that have done the update and have a blu ray / hd dvd set up running through hdmi in and out.

Thanks.

On a separate note, I am now in a serious debate about new TV. I considered buying lcd for a while but now debating that may be I should get plasma. Can anyone point me toward any good sources online that discuss the pros and cons of both. I will primarily use it for movies and cable.
post #633 of 1630 Old 02-09-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
^^

How about this forum? Just go to the LCD and PLasma areas. All the information you need.
post #634 of 1630 Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM

I called Pioneer support and here is some color on the issues, if you believe them. I think people here know most of this already.

They said that the firmware update is currently being performed by authorized dealers and the new units are already manufactured with the latest firmware, which should be 1.005. It's hard to know if the unit you are about to buy will have the latest firmware on it, the only way to check is to go through the list of commands described on this forum earlier.

He also said that 82s have 1.2a version of hdmi which is good but it doesn't pass HD audio signal from blu ray or hd dvd players. I guess I need to read about hdmi 1.3 and see if it makes a huge difference. What do you guys think? I am leaning towards buying this receiver because 1.2 is still probably very good but if anyone feels that I should wait, please voice your opinion. I am planning to have a sony blu ray hooked up to 82.

Lastly, what is the best price people were able to negotiate for 82 in NY/NJ? I understand that buying this unit online may not be an option but I assume I can still negotiate with the people in stores.

Thanks.
post #635 of 1630 Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 173
HDmI 1.2 *does* pass digital HD/Blue ray audio, if it's been decoded and converted to PCM first (which all HD/Blu ray players do). It's still digital all the way; the conversion to analog takes place in the AVR. Your 82 can certainly receive this digital PCM form of HD/Blu Ray audiovia HDMI.

It's impossible to say what difference (if any) decoding in the AVR (which is what HDMI 1.3 would allow, assuming the AVR had decoders for the new hi-rez DVD formats) would make, just as it's impossible to say now whether your player or your AVR decodes standard Dolby Digital & DTS 'better'. You'd have to just try both and decide.
post #636 of 1630 Old 02-10-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Frank,

I was concerned about this issue as well. However once connecting my PS3 to my 82 via HDMI and watching both Kingom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down on Blu-Ray I'm not as concerned as I was before.

While I've boosted my Sub channel by +9, the LFE was extremely present in both movies. I'll still be waiting for the fix, but if not, I'm not as concerned as I was before.

Sorry if somebody adressed this already...

There is a problem doing this however. Yes...you corrected the low LFE issue...but I think you mentioned that your fronts are set to small. The base that normally would go to your fronts is redirected to your sub. This redirected base is now 9db to high....If your fronts can handle bass I would set them to large.
post #637 of 1630 Old 02-10-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsdl View Post

I am presently using a Yamaha RX-V1700, but have discovered a limitation with the OSD - it only works with SD.

Does the VSX-82TXS have the same limitation (I would be using it with a PDP-5070HD with the SR connection).

Thanks.

What are you trying to show on screen?

From what I've read, the SR+ will allow for volume and input selection to show on the display. I also have the 5070 and have been looking at the VSX-81 & 82. I hear that there are some issues with the upconverter in the 82, so now I've been thinking more about the 81 since the 5070 has such a good scaler.

Jay
post #638 of 1630 Old 02-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

What are you trying to show on screen?

From what I've read, the SR+ will allow for volume and input selection to show on the display. I also have the 5070 and have been looking at the VSX-81 & 82. I hear that there are some issues with the upconverter in the 82, so now I've been thinking more about the 81 since the 5070 has such a good scaler.

Jay

I have the 5070 and the 81, and SR+ works very well between the two.

Simon
post #639 of 1630 Old 02-10-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

Sorry if somebody adressed this already...

There is a problem doing this however. Yes...you corrected the low LFE issue...but I think you mentioned that your fronts are set to small. The base that normally would go to your fronts is redirected to your sub. This redirected base is now 9db to high....If your fronts can handle bass I would set them to large.

By your logic, no matter what you have the sub channel set at(maybe negative line level), it is boosting the redirected bass from your fronts. So by your logic you are best to have the fronts set to large regardless.

I am not saying this is THE FIX, but rather a Workaround to this issue until the issue is addresses. In my opinion it has been a decent workaround. As we know now, it "appears'" Pioneer has addressed this issue. I currently have my receiver in to get the firmware applied. We shall see if in fact they have.
post #640 of 1630 Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 PM

If you're running large, you can workaround the problem..

If you're using PCM over HDMI and using the 82/84 bass management and set to small, you need the firmware..

-b
post #641 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post

I have the 5070 and the 81, and SR+ works very well between the two.

Cool.

What actually shows on the Pio Display?

-It looks like the 81 will allow you to change input labels? How do they display on the TV?
Ex: will it show DVD/LD or HDMI1 or the renamed input like DVD?

Thanks,
Jay
post #642 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool.

-It looks like the 81 will allow you to change input labels? How do they display on the TV?

Thanks,
Jay

You can name the input's to whatever you want.
Mine are labeled "DVR, HD-DVD, BLURAY"

PS3 & A2 = Format Neutral
post #643 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky042 View Post

You can name the input's to whatever you want.
Mine are labeled "DVR, HD-DVD, BLURAY"

So does that "DVR" "HD-DVD" & "BluRay" show up on a Pioneer display when using the SR+ cable?
post #644 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So does that "DVR" "HD-DVD" & "BluRay" show up on a Pioneer display when using the SR+ cable?

Oh I mis-understood the question. I thought you guys were asking about the display on the front of the reciever.
My display is a mitsubishi so I can't answer your question.
I can say it doesn't seem to show up over HDMI.

PS3 & A2 = Format Neutral
post #645 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Cool.

Thanks,
Jay

You will see volume, and something called "Amplifier/Receiver information" which can show various information like your current surround mode. I don't see input labels, but keep in mind that SR+ will automatically change your display input based on what you set on the receiver and the remote.

Simon
post #646 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Is there any way to activate the SW in stereo mode or Dolby surround? It doesn't seem to be putting out anything!

BTW, I took TrevorS's advice and raised my SW level 10db to compensate for LFE problem. My speakers are all large so the bass all goes to the SW. Sounds great! I'm not sure I want to upgrade unless it affects something else.
post #647 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 03:37 PM

I've got my main room set up for 5.1, and I want to configure a second room / zone (surround back speakers=2nd zone). Easy... except that I only have one speaker. How can I hook up and configure that speaker so that the second room stereo signal sent to the surround back L/R speaker connections is mixed down to mono for my single speaker?
post #648 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 08:09 PM

I noticed that the current Pioneer receiver line-up maxes out at $1,500. In the procss of researching the VSX-84TXSi, I noticed that some non current receivers such as the VSX-59TXi retailed for $4,000. Has the features list or quality of these receivers gone down? Is there a good place to read about the history of these higher end Pioneer receivers?

Thanks, Bruce
post #649 of 1630 Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM

I bought the 82 and returned it for a refund that day.

The video quality through HDMI was horrible. The manufacturing date was November 2006 (even though the store stated January on the phone). The store also tried to deny any information about updates. Too bad for them they tried to pass it off on me - I still have thousands of dollars to spend upgrading my system.

The source of the video was HD from the SA8300HD via HDMI to the receiver.
post #650 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Without discussing what you fed into it it's a bit pointless to criticize the HDMI video output.
post #651 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a good source DVD (not HD or blu-ray) that can be used to exercise the VSX-82 audio channels? I'm in the process of determining what the driver on a PC motherboard delivers it's HD Audio through an HDMI connection. But before I can test whether multichannel audio is being delivered I'd like to make sure the VSX-82 is actually set up properly for it. I've got an Oppo 981 DVD player plugged in via HDMI. Is there an ISO image online somewhere that'd let me 'push the limits' of the VSX-82's multichannel input handling via HDMI?
post #652 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 06:33 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The video quality through HDMI was horrible. The manufacturing date was November 2006 (even though the store stated January on the phone). The store also tried to deny any information about updates. Too bad for them they tried to pass it off on me - I still have thousands of dollars to spend upgrading my system.

This is unfortunate. Are you sure you had everything setup properly? My 84 passes all signals I give it perfectly. I haven't tried to use its upconverting capabilities. Perhaps thats what you were disappointed in?
post #653 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 06:36 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Is there a good source DVD (not HD or blu-ray) that can be used to exercise the VSX-82 audio channels? I'm in the process of determining what the driver on a PC motherboard delivers it's HD Audio through an HDMI connection. But before I can test whether multichannel audio is being delivered I'd like to make sure the VSX-82 is actually set up properly for it. I've got an Oppo 981 DVD player plugged in via HDMI. Is there an ISO image online somewhere that'd let me 'push the limits' of the VSX-82's multichannel input handling via HDMI?

I'm not sure what "push the limits" is when it comes to multi-channel audio. Do you mean just a really good soundtrack? Also, are you talking bitstream input decoded by the AVR or handling of player-decoded PCM?

One of my favorite discs for audio quality is Eric Clapton's "One More Car, One More Rider" DVD. Great concert and a 750kbps DTS track that is the best I've heard.
post #654 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

No, not a soundtrack or album. More like something that'd push specific channels, formats and frequencies.
post #655 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 AM

Anyone willing to look at my post? #648.

Thanks, Bruce
post #656 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Bruce,

I doubt Pioneer has abandoned the flagship receiver entirely but the market for such units has shrunk. While Denon and Onkyo are holding on to the ultra high-end receiver (5805 MKII and NR1000) many others are letting it slide. Yamaha has not updated its flagship in over 2 yrs. Harman Kardon also lowered the ceiling nearly 3 years ago when the 7200 become their flagship at under $2000.

There are two main reasons for this trend. The first is the trickle down of features and build quality into lower-end units. The $1500 price point has become what the $4000 price point was a few years ago. This has also lead many people who do want to go beyond this price point to look to seperates. Seperates most times offer better amplification that can stay in a systemt for many years with the ability to upgrade a proccessor as new formats, connections, and technology come along.

post #657 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stidd View Post

I have a question...

If a TV show in HD is putting out a 5.1 Signal... Through my cable box... Why is my receiver not picking up that signal and giving me the show in 5.1?

Stidd

I don't know about your specific cable box, but I found out after the fact that my Dish HD DVR only would ouput 5.1 via the optical connection. Altho it can push audio over it's HDMI output, it will only do it as stereo. Supposedly a software update will change this in the future.

-Steve
post #658 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM

GOOD NEWS!!! Just called Pioneer about the firmware upgrade. I asked if I could use optical cable instead of HDMI and they said yes. Just go into the Input setup and include optical for audio with the HDMI for video only. Then use your remote to select the signal as optical. That's it!!

The only caveat is that on certain TVs, 1080P through HDMI gives you a white screen. Since I don't have a 1080P TV or DVD, no problem. In the future, I was told that any firmware upgrade is free of charge even after warranty expires!

Everything is working fine and I'm going to hold off on the upgrade.
post #659 of 1630 Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The source of the video was HD from the SA8300HD via HDMI to the receiver.

FWIW -- I feed HD-DVD 1080i via HDMI and the picture is perfect.
post #660 of 1630 Old 02-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locut0s View Post

I own an HDTV cable box (a Motorola DCT6200). This box as a DVI out and component out. From what I've read here I should get the best output from this box hooked up to the 82 by using component and NOT DVI and setting the 6200 to output HD channels at 1080i and SD chanells at 480i and let the 82 scale them up to 1080i. As I understand it so far the 82 should detect when the incoming source is already 1080i and leave it alone if it is, and scale it up if it detects it's 480i. Is this right? Please let me know as this is an important deciding factor in my purchase. Thanks.

I have this same cable box with Mediacom, and I can't get the DVI to HDMI to work at all. I tryed setting the box to 480i , 720p and even 1080i but all I got was a black screen and some white lines. I also had to run optical for the audio. I did try running component from the Moto to the 82, but that caused a faint green tint to run throught the middle of the screen.
The only combo that works is if I have the component cables going from the cable box to the porjector and bypass the 82.

I also want to point out that I have no issues with the Toshiba HD-XA1 and Denon 2910 while in HDMI to the 82 and out through the Infocus SP4805.

I did contact Mediacom cable and was informed the DVI function was not enabled at this time, but to keep my DVI to HDMI cable for when the do enable the DVI function.

Sorry this was so long and I hope this helps. And even with this problem I am more than happy with the receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page